Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
How does war exhaustion work now, to cause all these forced white peaces with such seemingly ridiculous terms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Based on what I read elsewhere, apparently the big hit with War Exhaustion and losing ships in battles is the exhaustion hit is based on twice the lost ships value as a percentage of your Total Naval Capacity.

So if you have a Max Naval Capacity of 50 (like I roughly did when attacking the XTs) and lose a few corvettes and a destroyer totaling 8 Naval Capacity, that is a 32% War Exhaustion blow (8/50=16%*2). Doesn't matter if you started the battle at 30/50 or 50/50 capacity, its based on max.

Kinda nasty, and makes capacity upgrades even more appealing. This is also why people overwhelming outposts and starbases are taking much heavier exhaustion than the "Defeated" enemy (I'm guessing the Victory/Defeat label is based on war exhaustion?).

My favorite part of that thread was the realization that one of the optimal defensive strategies is to build anchorages for more fleet cap, max out cap on cheap frigates, and when you’re attacked immediately dismantle your anchorages so you’re wildly over fleet cap. Then, as soon as you lose a battle of any size it registers as a catastrophic loss and your war exhaustion goes through the roof, allowing you to force a white peace even though the enemy has taken nothing.

It's insane, and makes the use of Desty's ReducedWarExhaustion mandatory IMO.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 24, 2018

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
People who've successfully played tall in 2.0, how have you been doing it? I've seen it work once in a multiplayer game over the weekend, but it relied on some choices (pacifist, mechanist) I'm not thrilled about making. I'd love to get a good Inward Perfection --> megastructures tall run going, but my last experiment didn't go well (Ethics: Xenophobe, Pacifist, Materialist, Civics: Inward Perfection, Technocracy, Traits: Intelligent, Natural Engineers, Thrifty).

Two smaller questions:

1) Are Fanatical Purifiers bugged in the same way as Determined Assimilators and Devourers are?
2) Do broken Gateways count as Megastructures for the purposes of getting a bonus to Megaengineering appearing as a tech choice?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What's the point defense of choice now? Flak Cannons?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Malick23 posted:

Has anyone completed the Enigmatic Fortress in the 2.0.2 beta? I read that it was fixed in the patch notes but after I disabeled it and sent a team in the event chain appears to have stalled. It's not the end of the world but I wanted to see the Enigmatic tech in 2.0 I'm playing without mods.

I completed it today. It's possible, but it's a loving hassle, because it is emphatically not fixed. Every 10 days or so the fortress will respawn without fail, so you'll need to park a fleet on it to keep it down, and it'll try to give you another situation log entry. After you get the first exploration event, make sure to pick the "Leave it alone" option thereafter or your situation log will fill up with events and you won't even be able to select the follow-ups necessary to complete the chain. Also, sometimes an event in the chain will just fail to show up in your log for no discernible reason - I had this happen both with the very first event, and with the second-to-last - so savescum vigorously or you could get screwed out of the entire chain. It does eventually complete though!

Has anyone else had an issue with gateways and wormholes messing up fleets' priorities on where to upgrade or repair? I have a gateway-heavy game going right now, and I simply cannot get fleets to repair at sensible stations anymore. They could be literally sitting on top of a station full of shipyards with nothing in the queue, but hit repair or upgrade and they're off to the nearest gateway to jump all the way across the galaxy to some other random gateway-linked station, one which has fewer shipyards and something already in its queue, to get the work done. It's not even prioritizing their home base: as far as I can tell it's completely random which station they pick, and once one fleet fixates on a gateway-linked station, they all do, even if they start out in different systems. Is anyone else seeing this? I'm baffled.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Encountered another weird bug today. I ran well over my fleet cap last night in preparation for an endgame crisis, but carefully ensured that I'd still have around +100 per month while maintaining Capacity Overload, Warring States, and Grand Fleet. Today I load the save, and find this:

That deficit, it turns out, is from Warring States and Grand Fleet not affecting my naval cap after reloading the save - you can see the math in that Naval Capacity breakdown not working at all. Capacity Overload might not be working either, I can't tell. Reloading any of the earlier saves results in the same issue of edicts not applying their bonuses to fleet cap. Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions on fixing it?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

prussian advisor posted:

Does this bonus apply to research and unity as well, or just minerals, energy and food?

It applies to every form of production.

Some additional notes on happiness: every pop's base happiness comes from the happiness of the faction they belong to. If your Technocrats are at 68% happiness, all your Technocrat pops will start at 68% happiness as well. This means some ethics have a hidden production bonus from having a dominant faction that's easy to please, like Spiritualists, or who run a lifestyle that grants a big happiness boost.

Happiness provides a 1% bonus to all forms of production, up to a cap of 20%. The bonus begins at Happiness 61, and goes up by 1% on odd numbers: Happiness 61 and 62 both provide +1%, which goes up to 2% at Happiness 63, stays the same at 64, etc. When you buy that Riggan Spice for +5% happiness, you're paying 1000 energy for +2% or +3% productivity boost on every pop in your empire that's at least Happiness 61.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
How does one Devouring Swarm? I've been mulling over a concept for one, and after seeing them operate in a multiplayer game, I definitely want to try them out in singleplayer, but I've never done one of the purge civs before.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
The talk about Sword of the Stars earlier made me realize what Stellaris needs: cetacean species pack DLC. Game's already got obvious influences from the Uplift trilogy, and SotS is well-loved, so let's get some psionic biowarfare dolphins going.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Thrasophius posted:

Thanks for bringing me up to date on things guys. Reading patch notes is fine and all but it's nice to hear how they have affected the game. So overall is post 2.0 an improvement?

A huge improvement, yes, and I say this as someone deep in mourning for my precious wormhole generators.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Has anyone here tried these Science Nexus rush builds that were making the rounds a few months ago? I stumbled across that one and decided to try it, and the experience was… Humbling. OP reliably starts their nexus within 2260-2265 on standard machine intelligence or Driven Assimilator (and commentary suggests Rogue Servitors can do the same), or 2270 with Inward Perfect/Agrarian Idyll, and I haven’t the faintest idea how they’re managing it. Their energy/mineral/unity income blows mine away in all three of my attempts, despite a lot of (apparently misguided) micro.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Arrath posted:

That just seems so insane, holy poo poo.

Right? It's clearly possible and I'd love to make it work, because it appeals to the perfectionist in me, but I'm baffled as to how you generate that kind of income, unity, and tech simultaneously while rushing for 13ish planets.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

wiegieman posted:

By microing so hard you hate yourself.

Robots can build 1 pop per planet with no overcrowding penalty- that means, at max pop building speed, each planet produces a pop every 17.3 months. Since the main barrier to increasing your income is producing pops to work tiles, robots very quickly start an exponential growth curve that goes faster and faster with each planet they take, as long as they can maintain the mineral income to build the pops and the energy income to resettle them to new planets they are taking.

Also, it helps to know exactly what is necessary to make important techs appear.

It's the "generate enough income to do this" bit that falls apart for me, but hell, I'm gonna try it again for kicks.

Are there any other interesting builds out there these days? The sort of thing you can't get away with in real-time, but if you're willing to micro obsessively - i.e., the thing I enjoy doing in Stellaris anyway - you can pull off?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Are there any viable "Tall" strategies / civic-ethic combos going around at the moment? I haven't played since Apocalypse, and I'd like to ease into the new mechanics without having to also manage a gigantic empire. I was always the "Science Nexus rush" kind of player, but I'll take a look at anything that keeps empire size down.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Massive unrest on colonization seems... Virtually unplayable? Is this the sort of thing that gets same-day hotfixed or are we looking at rowdy colonies for a while?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
How does one Devouring Swarm? I tried one as my "testing the waters" game to get a feel for 2.2.x, and even on Captain I'm struggling to put the nail in the coffin of my first neighbor. I've been running Nutritional Plenitude and focusing heavily on pop growth and food, but find that I can't generate enough minerals, energy, or alloys to keep up with district development, or build a fleet that noticeably outguns my neighbor even with Supremacy. Granted, my nearby systems are really bad, but I still feel like I'm missing something.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

ZypherIM posted:

Ok, I'll do some :words:.

These are awesome words, thank you! Going to start a fresh game and give this a shot.

And SirTagz bless you and your Psilon avatar, it makes me smile every time I see it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What does the multiplayer meta look like these days? There's been some talk among my friends of starting a new game at some point.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Are those 1080p / 1440p mods meaningful if you're running at 4K, or are they only useful on the listed resolutions?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I’ve made a serious mis-step in my current game due to not fully grasping the implications of conquering planets in 2.2.X, and could use some strategic advice.

I’m trying out a Warrior Culture civ (Spiritualist/Militarist/Egalitarian, Rapid Breeders/Charismatic/Conservationist), and wound up with my first neighbor being a hive mind with the same climate preferences (Alpine) and a bunch of great planets. This is my first real game on 2.2.X’s economy, and I didn’t think through the consequences of conquering them: I just saw four 70% worlds with excellent modifiers and a weak navy, hoarded enough influence to grab everything up to their homeworld and its chokepoint, and pounced.

Bad idea.

I knew I wouldn’t be able to use the hive-mind pops, but I vastly underestimated how deep in the hole claiming an effectively “empty” capitol world would put me. In particular, I didn’t realize that workers I resettled from other planets couldn’t be forced to work technician jobs, so I immediately plunged into -40 energy / month. I can just barely withstand that by selling strategic resources on the market, and I’ve tottered along for three years now trying to dig myself out of this hole, and managed to get down to -17/month, but I’ve now maxed out my exploitable space without either razing everything on those captured worlds down to bare rock, or going into yet another war.

Behold my potential prey:

Yes, they too are Alpine, and their worlds also have excellent modifiers. And good lord, that home system, not to mention Ejok in the south and Karathor / Codria / Ashimax in the center. And frankly I want them dead and gone before they infest my worlds with crime buildings that I can't afford to mitigate.

I’m confident I can win this war: I’ve seen their fleets and stations, and I’m certain that by blowing my sizable alloy bank to max out my Duelist-buffed naval cap I can run them over. This would take about 34 months, and make the economic bleeding much worse before it gets better, to the point where I’ll be running on fumes economically before the war even starts. To me, that seems to imply that whatever I get out of it needs to be a big win.

Claiming all of their inhabited worlds so that I can wipe them out in one fell swoop would be 580 influence; I’m sitting on 180 influence, and it would take another 86 months to stockpile enough influence to finish them off, by which time there’s a decent chance they colonize at least one other world (probably Ladiom); I’m not sure my economy can survive that long. Alternatively, I could exclude Ashimax (which is a nice world, but costs 180 influence to claim) and need only 46 months, waiting a year before I start churning out ships. Or, I could 2-3 of their richer systems with the ~370 influence I’ll have banked after maxing out my naval cap: maybe Sakterokla / Haedus / Ejok for the energy and to cripple their production? Or, do only a few months of buildup, claim only, say, Ejok and Sakterokla for the energy and TV, rush those and pray?

Even then, I'm not sure how well holding those worlds will go. Will my egalitarian pops blow a gasket if I have these Crime Rams under my boot?

Honestly, I’m not sure what the correct decision is here. Thoughts?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

It eliminated the pointless micro of clicking 5000000000000000 yellow arrows every time you got a new version of a farm. The new system is overall a huge improvement, although there is still micro now as your planets keep growing and new pops keep needing new jobs.

It eliminated that bit of pointless micro and replaced it with a bunch of other tedious micro that occupies even more time. I find myself spending way more time managing planets and pops than anything else in the game at this point, and honestly, I miss tiles: not because they were a great system, but because they at least didn't demand so much time and attention for no real gain.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Guilliman posted:

The micro now spreads and fills the midgame a lot, so the game has become less "watching and waiting" during the early to midgame.

This is definitely true. I suppose my complaint is that all that spread-out micro feels no more meaningful than tile-clicking did, but takes up even more time, when I'd rather be doing literally anything other than managing planets, the hands-down least interesting part of Stellaris. If the sector AI in the upcoming patch is good enough to mitigate that I'll be astonished, given its track record, but here's hoping.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Anyone tried Planetary Diversity's "unique worlds" starts? The mod advertises them as having special districts, deposits, and unique jobs, but after several restarts to test them with no other mods enabled, all I'm seeing are slightly larger (Size 23-26) planets with admittedly very cool visuals. Do the planetary uniques spawn with event chains, something like that?

Edit: To clarify, I'm seeing the +4 Agri/Energy/Minerals districts on the unique worlds, but nothing else.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 1, 2019

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Potato Salad posted:

I have never had as aggressive, fun, and explosively powerful a playthrough than the lifeseeded despoilers I'm bullying my neighbors with right now

What are best practices for raiding stance? I tried NuclearMonkee's Lifeseeded Nihilistic Acquisition Space Aztecs in a multiplayer game last night, and while it worked out alright in terms of winning wars, the pop-stealing rate seemed painfully slow. Do you have to clear out the ground armies or hit a certain devastation level first or something?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Nosfereefer posted:

Feudalism still broken?

Supposedly [url=https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1590362799]Dynamic Difficulty can fix the feudalism issues, although I haven't tried it. You have to apply the modifiers yourself, but that seems simple enough. If you try it, let us know how it goes! I've been wanting to do a feudal run for a while.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What aesthetic mods are people using in 2.2.7? I've gotten tired of fleet battles being an indecipherable mass of contrails and went looking for something to disable them, and discovered that Stellaris graphic modding is a deep, deep rabbit hole of incredible but mutually incompatible and often gameplay-altering mods.

I ended up with No Exhaust Trails for my basic need to be able to see my ships after the midgame, and I'm about to mess around with the graphics-only version of Improved Space Battles. Anyone tried others, like ISB's full version, or Aesthetic Cinematic Graphics?

Kestral fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 5, 2019

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

twistedmentat posted:

I was using a few, but this has a really good list of mods, that you can pick and choose, plus what they actually change
https://youtu.be/zKC1xeuiEzM

Nice resource, thank you!

Gave Aesthetic Cinematic Graphics a shot, and while it is indeed very pretty, being essentially a Greatest Hits of Combat Graphics Modding, I'm not sure I can recommend it. In addition to requiring a number of compatibility patches for things like More Events Mod and custom ship packs which will inevitably fall by the wayside, it reduces sublight even more, which was already too slow to begin with IMO, and removes the labels for system jump points, which makes navigating in the system menu virtually impossible.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is there a way, modding or otherwise, to get machine empire drones to play nicely with Automatic Pop Migration? Much as I love Rogue Servitors, managing a mid- to late-game empire that reproduces at +9.2 without Auto Migration is a total nightmare, and blowing influence to cut drone production and cripple my own economy seems like a cruel joke.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
As far as I can tell, it doesn't currently work for Machine Empire drones, despite claiming to do so. I've set up a save game specifically to watch for it, with a planet with diverse open jobs set to Preferred, and the exact quantity and locations of all my unemployed pops noted. The 3rd-of-the-month migration tick comes and goes without any change to unemployed pops.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Space. Dolphins.

All I need in Stellaris is psionic space dolphins in exo-suits.

What's everyone going to try first with this pack? I've been doing a lot of Machine Empires recently, so I'm thinking of going for something organic and psionic, try to follow that new Shroud precursor.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

LonsomeSon posted:

I started a new galaxy with Guilli's on in case it wouldn't cause a crash, and it hasn't...yet!

He was advising people in the Workshop thread not to use his mod until after an update, because it might break your save when he does patch it. You might not want to get too attached to that run, sorry to say.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I've been doing restarts trying to get the Zroni precursor, and gotten the Grunur five times out of seven so far. It wouldn't surprise me if the new precursors have been given greater weight so that people can encounter them, but that seems, uh, unusually high. I'll be very interested when someone finally datamines how the precursors are determined now.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

scaterry posted:

I purposely spawned as the only empire in the galaxy, and still haven't found a relic 60 years in. :negative:

The thing is, even though I've researched enough anomalies to only have terraforming candidates, the Zroni precursor chain appears to only progress off of archaeology sites on unowned habitable worlds. So I'm constantly chaining outposts to get to the next archaeology site. The worst thing is I don't even have access to psionic ascension, so I feel I'm like chasing a dead end.

I've been trying to get the first Zroni site to spawn for, oh, three hours' worth of restarts now. If someone figures out the console commands for this, I will love you forever.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Beta patch is the Ghost Signal. Throw your computer into the sea before it's too late!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
My recollection of the last strike craft discussion was that they put out quite a lot of damage, more than their stats might indicate, but they do it in bite-sized chunks as befits being covered in beeeeeees. The end result being that they punch above their weight, but ships they're attacking have a good chance of being able to jump out, meaning you win the engagement, but don't reduce their fleet by as much as you would with conventional weapons. Great in situations where you have something that reduces Emergency FTL rates though, like starbases or accompanying Titans.

Other people may know more (or more accurately) - my anecdotal experience is that they make for kickass defense platforms, at very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
How are Machine Empires looking with this update? I greatly preferred the feel of their economy after Le Guin, but haven't played since before lithoids were a thing.