Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Ms Adequate posted:

Everyone something is really really wrong with my game

My sector.... it... it's producing a sensible amount of food with a slight, but by no means excessive or wasteful, excess. :ohdear:

Oh. OHHHHHHHHHH

I understand why people were moaning about sectors now. I only play robots, so I never had to deal with the sector AI being dumb with food. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

wiegieman posted:

After spending a few hours with the new starbase system, I'm constantly cursing it as forgettable busywork. Combined with the fact that ship maintenance is incredibly punitive now, I think I'll wait for a few patches.

I like Stellaris, but I don't like it now.

Yeah holy poo poo, gently caress starbases.

I'm also quite firm in my hatred of hyperlanes now. Oh, someone's attacking on the opposite side of my empire? Let my fleet mosey on over there, I'm sure they'll be around in, oh, fifty years.

EDIT: Also, thoroughly amused to note that the whole "chokepoints in spaaaaaaace" thing hasn't worked out at all, because no matter how much you build up a starbase it's going to get trucked as soon as any enemy fleet so much as glances at it.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 23, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Voyager I posted:

This is hilariously untrue but it's a Shadowlyger post so that was already a given.

Like yeah if you go into midgame with level 2 starbases and no upgrades or defense platforms they're not gonna stand up to a fleet, but they can get thick as hell in their own right and also stand up long enough for reinforcements to arrive.

Fully upgraded fully stocked starbase: 12k

Enemy fleet: 70k

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

12k is a lot of power. Why did you piss off a goddamn enemy with a fleet of 70k power?

I'm Exterminators. Except I can't loving exterminate anyone because war exhaustion ends any war before I can kill anything, except when it's a hugely superior enemy clowning on me.

EDIT: That 12k starbase was in year 2400, by the way. Between resource starvation and having no loving clue how to increase my fleet cap by any appreciable amount, everyone is constantly superior to me at all times.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 23, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Fleet cap is increased by population and, as before, building and upgrading starbases. Build anchorage modules on starbases, increase your starbase cap, and build the building that improves anchorage naval cap production, also there are a number of researches that improve your naval cap as well as traditions and ascension perks.

Basically, play the game and your fleet cap will go up.

So what I'm getting from this is that the only modules starbases are allowed to have is anchorages and shipyards and the rest are all totally useless, got it.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

You know, looking back, I think my main issue with Exterminators is simply that building all of those pops is too drat expensive.

Like why does it cost as much to build a pop as it does to build a starbase? I just think that's a little too restrictive.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

nessin posted:

To be fair, each pop point could represent millions or billions of individuals. I'd say a few million super robots is equivalent to a really big starbase.

Granted, but it still feels hugely restrictive.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Splicer posted:

Be neat if the hive mind tutorial was just you mumbling to yourself constantly and/or grumbling about the interface.
"Hmm I should build some mining stations. I pick this builder unit and... *pauses until user clicks it* then I send it to... here? Ugh, things were easier when I was just a planet."

I need this. I need this very badly indeed. Just the hive mind/machine intelligence mumbling to itself as a tutorial.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

So for anyone curious about why you can't build Dyson Spheres, it's probably because you have a research/mining station on all the stars. You can't build a Dyson Sphere on a star with a station on it. Deconstruct the station first.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 25, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Can't non-Devouring Swarm hive minds get a tech that lets them assimilate people?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Space Skeleton posted:

I downgraded a starport back to outpost and the system still has the FTL inhibitor icon. I wonder if it really works.

It does. Quite annoying, actually.

On that note, fun fact kids: Even an un-upgraded outpost can still build three defense stations for itself, making them far more of a pain in the rear end for your enemies to take!

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

UltraRed posted:

I have the tech and the resources to build a dyson sphere, but when I select it from the mega structure menu, nothing highlights to place it. What gives? :confused:

Dismantle the mining station on the star.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

So I'm really digging marauders and pirates as a democracy. Every few years a pirate base will spawn and knock out a few of my stations before getting pasted by my honor guard. Or the marauders will run through and shitfuck a few systems before heading back home. Then I can move in construction ships and repair everything to fulfill my leader's mandate. This is actually excellent, because before there was literally never an option to complete those mandates short of blobbing out like an idiot or the very very occasional war that you didn't immediately win or lose wiping out a couple stations at the fringe of your empire before you destroyed them.

I don't know if this was intended behavior, but I absolutely hope it was, because it's actually completely awesome. It also is really nice from an engagement perspective because it gives you something to do instead of wait and watch numbers go up.

Couldn't you just dismantle a few stations and rebuild them...?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

MorphineMike posted:

Is Orbital Bombardment bugged? I spent 10 years bombing a single planet with 60 Corvettes, 10 Destroyers and 10 Frigates on Armageddon setting. In those years, I placed one tile blocker, killed one pop and ruined 5 buildings. Hovering over the icon on the planet window tells me all about Selective bombardment (I've checked my policy, even swapped it away and back), but even that seems more damaging that what's actually happening.

e: after some time, the planet got stuck on 25% damage. I could still bombard, but even a year later it was on 25%.

If the icon on the planet window showed selective, you're using selective bombardment. Click your bombardment icon twice to switch to armageddon. The bombardment stopped presumably because you killed all the armies on the planet.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Nevets posted:

I really hope this was intentional. :v: I'm playing as Commonwealth of Man (Red) and just found UN of Earth (Blue) in 2340, literally right next door 11 jumps away from my home system. They've spent the entire game locked inside the Sol system by those raiders, I only finally found them because I put up a fortress with a listening post to stop the raiders.

We need a :hyperlanes: for things like this.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm looking at this space monster and the only stats is has is a skull symbol.

If there are any curators about, you can ask them how your fleets would fare against it, and you can also pay to get a damage bonus.

I think generally most leviathans are about 50k-ish?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Ah, the dimensional horror. Look into killing that one, you get to research what's left and get a big head start on Jump Drive.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

For hive minds you're probably just getting really tired. Like war exhaustion is literal exhaustion.

"Man fuuuuuck, look at how many ships I just lost there, now I have to rebuild all of those. Maaaaaaaaaan"

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Would anyone happen to know the war goal ids for the war console command? Because I want to declare war on the machine fallen empire, but there's no option to do so and if I finish off the Contingency they'll go away, taking all their delicious tier six tech with them.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. For future reference though Wiz, the help command isn't very helpful if it doesn't give you the ids for anything.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 4, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

I find it extremely weird that destroyers don't have any missile slots at all.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Thyrork posted:

How do you flag a system as a no go zone? I'd really rather not have my reinforcements fly through marauder zone.

Click on the system, at the bottom of the screen there's a thing that shows its name. On the left side of that should be a button, click it to designate the system as no-go.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

Exactly, I could go back into the game I won and build all the megastructures, but I won that game. The Galaxy lost. The Glorious Alliance controls the galaxy. Building a Dyson sphere won't help me get energy because I don't need energy. A science Nexus won't help me with my research because my empire is 30,000 science points ahead of anyone else in the Galaxy.

"And then the space dragons did some cool poo poo because they were better than everyone else the end."

Ascension perks should not be the equivalent of a line of text in the epilogue.

In my last game I got all three megastructures up and there was still a huge, three empire federation opposing me.

Quick tip for building megastructures: Open your sector menu and check their resource levels, if your sectors haven't been building anything lately then they can have some very large stockpiles.

Also while I'm here, a bug report: Apparently you can't crack Tomb Worlds and must terraform them into something else before you can blow them up.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Splicer posted:

This would also be good, it's not an either/or. There'd be no busywork though, by the time it comes up you'll have your ships on autoexplore while also solving the FOMO of variable anomaly generation chances.

Yeah basically rather than have the whole assist research thing, just have your science ships set to fly around your territory re-scanning stuff to see if anything's changed since the last time they were there.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

basic hitler posted:

unless i'm missing something the AI is like, cheating, as well. bad luck to get an agressively expanding neighbor because they outpace me just for hte fact i can't produce enough influence to expand to new systems half as fast as they can.

The AI is cheating, it pays 50% less on all maintenance costs.

Feel absolutely no shame in cheating back.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Libluini posted:

I don't know if it's beta only, but there's a new "piracy risk"-window as part of the government-interface. Sounds like a good idea: If you see the piracy risk shooting up, bam, don't send your construction ship out until the fight is on

I'm not seeing this, where is it?

(Yes I'm running the beta)

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I like to have friends in this game. Last game I had some imperialistic slavers next to me which were best buddies, and we had a good time stomping our neighbors. Problem was that I had too much space to expand so it got too boring.

This time I installed the Gladius AI mod and put the AI sliders way higher (7-14) to get more races in the galaxy, added more advanced starts etc. But thanks to those stupid robots who rivaled me on year 1 or 2, I have again tons of room.

Maybe I need to put the AI sliders straight to max and untick the random box? With my luck I got again 7 AI's in this game...

Get the Extended Map Sliders addon and set it to 99 AI empires. :getin:

Voyager I posted:

I just want to draw further attention to the fact that Shadowlyger, after disappearing for a week upon being called out directly by Wiz for making up bullshit to complain about, has returned to announce that he needs to cheat to beat the AI that can barely manage not to collapse its own economy.

I'd just like to call attention to the fact that "you're lying" is a pretty poo poo thing for a dev to say to someone about their game's balance, especially since I wasn't.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 11, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Well he did say you were either lying or didn't click on the big ol button that says defenses.

I did. Well okay, I hit x since that's the hotkey.

It was 70k worth of federation fleet, no starbase was stopping that. Mind it was my first game of 2.0, I was playing Exterminators and had gotten boxed in pretty early on, so I'm pretty sure I was hosed either way. The point is you can't say starbases will make good chokepoints when A: the hyperlanes rarely align well enough to have proper chokepoints, and B: most endgame fleets will mulch any starbase, no matter how many defense platforms you put on them.

Libluini posted:

(Was just a bit higher up on the same page :v: )

(Yeah I noticed that after I quoted a post two-three pages before that. Whoops! :v:)

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Except they DO make good choke points and in every game I've played thus far I've been able to set up a choke point and hold off a front or stall it heavily. Yes they will not go toe to toe with a end game doomstack but they will gently caress it up and slow it down or easily turn the tide when you pop your fleet in. Their entire purpose is giving an enemy the choice of avoiding the tar pit (FTL inhibitors make fighting the station a requirement.) or to have to take a jaunt around your empire in order to attack important worlds/shipyards. This makes it easier for you to move fleets into position cut them off or back cap their worlds. They are fortresses not walls.

This would be a very good point if it didn't take your fleets a century to go anywhere.

Mind that's what 2x wormholes and gateways are for.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Archenteron posted:

So do I basically have to pay a 100 income patrol drones edict tax per planet if I actually, you know, want to have one of the main features of this particular racial setup?

Yes.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Turns out people don't like being eaten

This seems like a problem that solves itself, given time.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Wassbix posted:

Started again recently and AI seem even worse than before for anyone else? (2.02 beta)

Playing with Advanced start + Insane and by 2300 or so they are completely inferior in everything and even fallen empires aren't much threat (they don't handle the new none-deathball war very well). By early-mid 2300 players can field around 100-150k in fleet power and AI seem to have something like 30k-60k (100kish for fallen empires) total at most. Are there any good AI/Difficulty mods in the workshop that anyone can recommend?

Haven't gotten to end game contingency because desync issues make it impossible to play multiplayer past 2300, really hope that gets fixed soon. Having to do a 5min reload every 15-20minutes make it unplayable. Other than this game-halting issue everything in the new 2.00 changes seem fantastic (albeit unbalanced but fun nonetheless)

Also the solution I took to piracy is just to ignore them completely, they kill 2-3 systems and go back, so you just take the hit and rebuild it and be sane for few more years. The fleet progression seems to be 100 - 600ish-1kish-repeating till it caps out around 5k which is the single pirate galleon.

Granted It's on normal, but I was wondering why the AI in my latest game are all Pathetic in comparison to me. I thought maybe it was a mod or something (though I don't have any difficulty based mods).

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Jazerus posted:

something that's not obvious: gulli's habitat modifiers on moons apply to habitats built over their planet

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

binge crotching posted:

200 corvette fleet with scourge missiles is amazing.

On that note, how do Scourge missiles measure up against regular missiles/swarm missiles/torpedoes? If I'm rolling around with devastator torpedoes, is it an upgrade to switch my whole fleet to Scourge missiles or no?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How easy/hard would it be for someone just to mod in real buff strike fighters? I feel like Stellaris follows the whole "WW2 in space" with regard to the spaceships, so really carriers should be king. Or at least make it so the corvette-counter is a load of even smaller ships.

Technically this is exactly what strike fighters are supposed to do, it's just that they're buggy/super undertuned right now.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 14, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

genericnick posted:

I'm just wondering why starvation doesn't kill pops. That should break the AI out of the cycle I think.

There's a mod that does this, Starvation and Death I believe?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Phobeste posted:

I'm pretty sure I did, yeah, spent a bunch of time on it making sure it included enough goddamn planets to get the win. If you claim a system with an inhabited planet, do you have to occupy it with an army to keep it in a status quo?

Yes. If you haven't occupied every planet in the system, it reverts control back to the owner. You don't need to keep an army there, mind, you just need to win an invasion.

As for FTL inhibitors, if a system has one you can only leave via whatever hyperlane you entered from. If you Jump in, then you'll need to Jump back out... unless you capture the station and any planets in the system with inhibitors on them, anyway.

Also note that if the system has a Wormhole, you can exit through that whether you came in via Wormhole or not. The same goes for Gateways, but you'll need to have ownership of the Gateway.

Once the inhibitor technology is unlocked, all Starbases above outpost level will have an inhibitor, and any planet with a Stronghold will also have one. You'll need to capture the Starbase as well as the planet in order to break the inhibitor effect.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What are we looking at here?

A primitive civilization being in their contacts at the start of the game... despite being on the opposite side of the galaxy. I've seen this bug before, too.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

Why is your food 0+0?

Robots don't need food.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Mountaineer posted:

Did you unpause? Upon loading the save your naval capacity and income can be really off but they'll fix themselves after a day or two.

For clarity, it seems that most bonuses to fleet command/power generation and such don't apply to a loaded game until after you unpause. Once you set it going all of your bonuses are properly applied, fixing the problem.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

I mean, it's a terrible system that a lot of people rightfully hate which they had gotten rid of and are now bringing back. I can definitely understand people being upset about it, it really is bad, bad game design and the fact that they seemed to realize that only to put it back in later just makes it feel worse. I honestly just couldn't enjoy the game when that was how it worked, and I absolutely be modding it out.

I can see the case for it since people were abusing it in multiplayer, so you do need to have some way to force an end to the war so your opponent can't just cripple your unity/influence income forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

I don't know this for sure but presumably they start with pretty much no resources or buildings, so it probably takes them a long time just to gather the stuff needed to actually hire scientists and build stations.

It probably also doesn't help that they constantly get assaulted by time-scaled pirates. I had an empire pop up near me that requested to be a protectorate, and they were stuck with two systems for a while because 2k pirate fleets kept spawning at their borders and blowing up all their stations.