Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Rynoto posted:

Did they make Living Metal more common since pre-2.0 or did I get exceedingly lucky to have it spawn in the system next to my starting one. (From an anomaly)

Also do like the changes they've made since.

I'm fairly certain it's slightly more common, if still very rare. You definitely got exceedingly lucky, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

Just be thankful we're not telling you to get CK2 and its expansions.

CK2 doesn't even come close to being the most expensive thing on the Steam store. I know for a fact that Train Simulator with all the DLC is up over seven thousand dollars at this point. Thousand, not hundred.

Though of course that's not a perfect comparison since trainwatchers specialize in their obsession, so probably (HOPEFULLY) no one person has every single thing.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

double nine posted:

the idea, I think, is to use steam achievements as a way to gauge playstyles and popular/unpopular mechanics. Having the ability to bypass this with a mod that gives a billion resources to the player at the first day of the game.

It's this. The whole reason the "Conquer the world as Ryukyu" achievement in EU4 exists, for instance, is to examine for cheese strategies--a lot of the ones used by the guy who got it the first time weren't intentional and have since been patched out.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The Contingency spawns construction ships at a much lower rate than anything else, and its war fleets are reluctant to get too far ahead of their station building. If you need them to slow the gently caress down, snipe the construction ships--just be aware it won't slow down warfleet spawn rates.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think it's time for a new game.

Been in a literal unending series of unfun whack-a-mole hellwars for the last hundred years first with a War in Heaven, then the overpowered Determined Exterminator empire near me declared war on the entire galaxy (pretty sure they got advanced start and just hilariously snowballed from there with all their bonuses) and now in the middle of that the ghost signal is triggering.

Given how slow the days are ticking I think it'll be more fun to start again rather than just attrition down The Contingency.

You also what with the War in Heaven turning into a meatgrinder? I stomped the Fanatical Purifiers early in that game but the War in Heaven completely took me by surprise, as did the power I'd been shepherding and allied to all game immediately turning traitor on me to lick Fallen Empire boot. Awful feeling, every one of my positions wound up in the wrong place and fighting FE fleets is just the MOST pulling teeth and the power numbers lying to you.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

Re: Bastion chat. The biggest benefit of having a defensive station is that it slows up the enemy advance and lets you respond if your fleet is anywhere else but immediately available, which is good for like a large portion of the game. It's not like you should have a hundred of the fuckers or like they'll take on a whole enemy fleet for you, that's a dumb idea anyway. What they will do though is FTL inhibit movement, which is cool and good.

Like they're never going to be useful in the endgame vs. 250k fleet strength but they're pretty drat useful at keeping those driven assimilators out of your business while you expand and build up a fleet to take them down.

Exactly -- though there's two things I'd observe. A Bastion station can perform deterrence better than a fleet, because it's much cheaper and the AI will straight up not engage stations that it doesn't think it can beat. I had a game where the Pretoryn landed in an area of space that only had one hyperlane out of it that I owned, and just parking a fleet and a maxed defensive station on there kept the entire Crisis bottled up until they could bring in multiple proper fleets to overwhelm me.

On top of that, stations can actually outpunch their weight in very specific situations because a station is one big object. Its guns don't leave the fight until the whole station is knocked out, whereas a fleet can be whittled down as ships are destroyed or emergency jump out, so especially for fleets made up mostly of smaller ships, the station can outlast them (and it comes back much faster from a rough fight).

Finally, there is no force multiplier like a big station. This is why they have a bunch of modules to boost friendly fleet combat -- they force the enemy fleet to split their attention and have effectively complete-system firing range. So engaging a fleet that would otherwise kick your rear end in a system with a big defense station can reliably pull out huge wins.

No station is going to stop a 250k fleet, but anything above roughly 50k-75k I just consider a deathstack that has to be manually addressed anyway. Maxed out defense stations can definitely fend off fleets of 40k and under, which cuts down on raiding hard, so I always build them at my frontiers because I like having one-hyperlane frontiers if I can at all manage it. It cuts down on border friction penalties and makes my planning life easier.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

One suggestion I have for the Stellaris devs in the thread -- it feels like the Scion origin should give you border access to your FE overlord, but it currently doesn't. This is a pretty small thing but from a narrative perspective it's something I'd like, not least so I can set up a gateway near to them (certainly not so I can inevitably stab them in the back, don't be ridiculous.)

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

HopperUK posted:

I'm having such a nice time with this game, bumbling along on easy settings, no idea what I'm doing. It's all new to me. Galactic council? Sounds awesome! Just made buddies with a species that likes dry worlds so I can finally colonise these stupid deserts all over my space. Learning about psionics! I'm sure nothing bad can come of that!

Everything is lovely when you pick that adorable little big-eyed lizard species portrait. Even the species next door that keeps trying to hate me loves me because I bombard them with envoys.

Hello fellow nice-timer! I like just bumbling around in this game too. Just picked up the Lithoids to almost complete my collection.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Lithoids yet to be honest, but I also think their robot model that came with the pack is absolutely sick and that makes it worth it for me.

Edit:

Infinite Karma posted:

That's not compatible with my authoritarian ethos, but I looked into it, and the Chemical Bliss lifestyle actually applies a happiness penalty if they're unemployed, for some stupid reason, so I painstakingly changed every species and subspecies in my empire to Social Welfare, and not only did the crime warnings go away, my overall productivity went up despite all the extra consumer goods that 120 worlds demanded.

For doing this in the future, it'd probably be much easier to to change the Default setting via the button above the Species list and just mass-apply that, then go change back any exceptions like your primary species. Much less manipulating.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 3, 2021

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

They removed auras from Battleships then brought them back on Titans with Apocalypse. That was pretty annoying.

That one I'm more okay with since, as we all know, you can easily make a viable lategame fleet with JUST battleships. If they all had an aura that could get pretty wack. Restricting it to the hard-limited Titans is better, though in terms of how Titans are locked behind the DLC wall, THAT I do agree is obnoxious.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

both Bs are short for battleship. :shrug:

This convention is American in origin, and goes back to the early days when we were actually putting together a modern organized Navy instead of "whatever we can throw together when we can pry money out of Congress". Ships were originally just referred to as "<class of ship> no. <hull number>" in the ledgers -- so the fifth battleship built after the system was installed would be "USS Kearsage, Battleship number 5", or B-5 when written down.

In 1920, however, this system was changed up, both to standardize it and to formally recognize that there were now more than just five types of warship (battleship, cruiser, destroyer, corvette, monitor) so as to more properly supply and regulate all these classes. Drawing distinction between Cruiser, Armored (CA, later used for heavy cruisers) and Cruiser, Light (CL), for instance. The single "B" for battleship and "D" for destroyer got extended into doubles as "BB" and "DD" to keep continuity with the other two-letter shortenings.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 10, 2021

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

They are indeed. I don't remember what the Dreadnought is/does and I don't think I've ever personally gotten the Zero generator, but the FER exchanges a whackload of energy for every other type of resource, and the Advisor is a nice diplomacy booster.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Sanctum posted:

This game is a loving mess. A newly conquered species emigrated to one of my core planets and didn't get the gene mod with the rest of them. So I rewind 2 years and resettled the pesky bugger, set migration controls, move forward and gently caress... another one was stealthily growing as a new pop. Really great that I can't just modify the single pop, I have to do the whole species again. Now I have a designated reject planet for people that missed the psionic ascension and all the other trash I can't get rid of but don't want breeding.

So the special resources like gasses and stuff that I need to build certain weapons are all being consumed by something. Game doesn't say what. Is it a building or do my ships upkeep consume special resources?

Ships require special resources for construction, but not upkeep. So it's got to be a building of some variety. I may have forgotten some, but off the top of my head...

Crystals are used for civilian industry, commercial forums, administrative buildings, and society boosters.
Motes are used for food boosters, mineral boosters, alloy production, strongholds, and police stations.
Gas is used for holotheaters, gene clinics, research labs, and energy grids. So if you've been upgrading your gene clinics or research labs, those are where your gas is probably going.

Dark matter, zro dust, and living metal are all way less useful and more niche than they used to be, sadly.

You should also know that if you have populations you want to get psionics and don't want to be project-converting every one of them, you can just set them to the "Assimilation" living standard. It'll turn them all into full psychics over time, though they won't be able to do anything else in the meantime.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Nebulae block sensors, black holes inhibit combat disengagement, pulsars negate shields, neutron stars reduce FTL speed, and VLUUR is basically a mobile neutron star and should be killed asap.

Like hell, VLUUR is my friend. He killed the bejeezus out of the Wraith one time for me.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

I seem to remember back when ecumpenopoli first came out they were lackluster, which is where that old recommendation may have come from.

I mean, it's not saying they're BAD, which I think everyone is missing. It's saying they're NOT INTERESTING.

There's something to that, definitely. Ecumenopoli are just so strong that they take a lot of the planet elements and make them pointless. They also never have planetary features because you annihilate the existing planet state to build them, so there's no variety in any way that matters. If you're playing Stellaris for finding cool stuff and unique worlds, then converting all of them to Ecumenopoli is a losing proposition.

Then there's Relic Worlds. For one thing, they almost universally have the exact same set of features. More importantly, finding even a SINGLE Relic World will give you eight completely gratis researcher slots as soon as you can clear out that Central Spire, which is a LOT early on and a notable amount even late game, on top of the Relic World's inherent bonus to research. That's most of a Research Arcology but with zero upkeep, or four basic Research Labs, while occupying no district or building slots. That part makes getting even one very strong, and if you manage to get two? Criminy. The other Relic World features are strong but not nearly as standout. Guaranteed high mineral and energy production is fine but not unique to them, and making full use of the special resources requires six building slots, which is a big investment.

The only Relic World I'd say is super unique is the C.A.R.E. World, because it doesn't have the default Relic World features and goes all in on energy (I'm NEVER unhappy to see it). And upgrading it to an Ecu just erases that, because Ecumenopoli don't generate Energy credits. Overall Ecumenopoli can get counted as not interesting because they're all, functionally, gonna wind up the same. Where's the variety? Where's the unique spice? Unless you mod that in, you're not gonna find it.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 25, 2021

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

I mean, nerfing anything early game mitigates the build-up of the player's advantage snowball, which seems like it might have been the point? My guess is that it's not going to be nearly enough, but seeing the Stellaris dev team apparently trying to nail the conceptual window of "largely retain end-game power paradigm while making it somewhat slower/more finicky to build up to that level, so there are more chances for the player to need to fix or compensate for something but it's not just a huge gently caress-you to the early game" is encouraging, at least to me, after years of much more heavy-handed or mystifying tweaks.

Yeah, just in general, slowing down the early game is something that's probably a good idea. Anything to blunt both the necessity and the overwhelming advantage of nailing that first 60 to 75 year blitz window.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Jesus Christ, this is why I never play multiplayer. I'm far too casual and multiplayer everything always turns into hyperaggressive stuff that I can barely comprehend. What are you people DOING?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Aethernet posted:

Yes, this is one of those legacy events that was never tuned and has literally one of the best modifiers in the game in it. And a trap choice.

Doubly so because that science ship is of a fixed model that you can't do jack poo poo with. Same with the Other Science Ship -- since they're unique ships you can't modify them, and they don't come with such things as, y'know, shield modules.

Always take the sublight speed, and if you get the Other Science Ship put it on permanent Assist Research duty unless you have a Scientist you really don't like and want to get murdered.