Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
In the launch trailer, is that the Commonwealth retaliating for the UNE's loss of Earth by gutting one of the planets of the starfish aliens that blew Earth up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

GotLag posted:

0.75x hyperlanes on a spiral galaxy really is the way to go. You get some wonderful space terrain, which leads to stories.

My machine empire started near some erudite explorer lizards who were pretty chill, except that they took a system that blocked my access to further expansion up-arm. So I declared war, took it, immediately formed a NAP and then defensive pact (No harm no foul, right? Right? Look, sorry, but we really wanted that). Unfortunately for them, their other avenue for expansion was cockblocked by a spiritualist empire, so they just sat there in their 10-star empire until about 2400, at which point they asked to become my protectorate. I accepted, and will integrate them soon (I am running the Machines Co-exist mod, so they can participate in my empire as something other than Matrix pods).

Imagine being in that tiny star nation, watching the robot empire neighbouring you expanding and dominating a quarter of the galaxy. "That could have been us. That should have been us. But it isn't us, may as well ask the machines to take us in and make it official." :sigh:

You didn't give friends a break and some planets from the spiritualists to give them an exit corridor? drat dude. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I mean depending on how you choose to flavor your empire, they can be right.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

*Contemplates the Ban AI option.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Would be cool flavor too.

"You try that new polar bear place down the street?"

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Splicer posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

What does clearing them do :ohdear:

Where do you think the nutrient paste comes from?

Don't worry though they go to the nice resort planet set up just in the system next door.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Are ships still really slow or did they boost their speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Poil posted:

The archeological digs are great. Only issue is that I had a bit of a mishap involving a relic world that used to be populated by ratfolk hoarders. To be honest while I saw it coming I was expecting something slightly less dramatic. My only regret is not playing as space dwarves. :v:

Also had a really annoying mishap in a system where I had a colony next to a planet of primitives. After invading the primitives they got really cranky about being turned into livestock so I parked 20 assault armies on the surface. Didn't help because the uprising was a little over 2000 army strength. Somehow. I guess each cattle pop magically conjured 4-5 fully armed and armored armies out of thin void. When the planet inevitably fell they somehow took control of the entire system and my regular colony just decided to join up and broke free as well (despite their very high stability and happiness). Sigh.

XCOM 4 looking good.