Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
This is probably just me not figuring it out, but I'm having a problem with wars and overclaiming. I'll start a conquest war, and be winning, but when I go into the make peace screen, my only option to gain territory is to demand everything I'm claiming, which, because I'm not winning by enough, means that the enemy won't accept it. Meanwhile, my war exhaustion is ticking up, and the game forces me to white peace. Is there any way to only demand some of your claims in a war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Fellblade posted:

The middle option gives you all the claims you currently have occupied.

Thanks. I had assumed it worked like previous games, where it meant no exchange of territory.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
So, I had gotten destroyers and sort of built my fleet around them. Except, after I had built them, I realized I forgot to put weapons on them. So now I've got to upgrade them, except it's hard to get the minerals to do it, because the destroyers had put me over my naval capacity until just recently, and I've got pirates running around smashing up my stuff.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also I really wish there was an option to terraform a planet into a Tomb World without requiring any actual terraforming technologies.

Step 1. Make sure it's an enemy planet.
Step 2. Set Orbital Bombardment to Armageddon
Step 3. Wait.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It's unintentional, but the fleet manager has made me feel mineral bottlenecks so much more now. Before it, I'd build ships when I could, but now that I'm actually sitting down and designing my fleets ahead of time (and seeing how expensive they are), I find myself just staring at my mineral supply, waiting for it to tick up while I try to trade for minerals with my neighbors hoping I'll have enough to buy one more corvette for my slowly expanding 3rd fleet.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

In the Paradox studio, Wiz frowns at this post and turns the Starbase+ dial to 7.

Wiz puts in a slider for the number of extra starbases you get.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I can see the gameplay role they're trying to fill, Wiz even said they were add to punish not having pretty borders, but as they are now they're just not fun. But I have a strong feeling next major update will fix things with their hint at trade.

I hope so, because I do get what they're trying to go for, but it seems like you have two contradictory goals. The new outpost rules, where in order to claim a system you need an outpost, and outposts cost both upfront and give you a recurring penalty, plus the fact that everything is hyperlanes now and you can have chokepoints, encourage you to not claim every system, but just useful ones. But then you run into the pirate problem, where leaving an unclaimed system in the midst of your empire spawns pirates. Maybe this is just about forcing the player to choose between two bad options, but it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
What other people said. With the exception of a few cosmetic DLC, which is nice, but not really gamechanging, the DLC all adds a lot to the game, and you should get them, especially Utopia.

As for the 2.0 patch, it makes the game better, as a rule. There were a few things some people didn't like, like the getting rid of warp drive and wormholes for FTL travel, which, speaking as somebody who only used warp drive pretty 2.0, I get. Still, the game is better.

The only disclaimer is that the 2.0 changes are still new and still being patched. There are a few balance issues that are getting worked out, and some patches have already come out, but they're still tinkering g. I think of you play it now, you'll enjoy it, but if you want to wait a month or so for more patches to fix some of the 2.0 problems, that's valid too.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Sloober posted:

no i much prefer the fuckin zerg rush of 20 pop refugees settling on your newly settled planet asdlgkja;sldgkjas;ldj i only allowed refugees to make my faction happy not to actually *get* them

I love refugee events. They help add to the diversity that is my growing star empire. And, a lot of times, aliens will have a bunch of special traits my main species doesnt. "Why, hello, strong aliens! Why don't you go work in the minea while our natural sociologists study you?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

GotLag posted:

Hey guys I'm not sure what containment CB means, can someone please explain it to me?

It's a CB anybody can get against an awakened fallen empire, or one of the three types of genocidal empire (Fanatic Purifier, Determined Exterminator, Devouring Swarm). You don't need claims. Instead, any system or planet you take, you get automatically, even before the war is over.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Is there a way to revive destroyed empires? I don't want the space formerly occupied by some particularly rear end in a top hat plants, but I don't want the either of the nearby fanatical purifiers to have it either.

Take it, set up a vassal state, and give it the systems you don't want?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Have they fixed the Slaving Despot bug yet? The one where almost every authoritarian empire shows up as slaving despots?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Even when I play unmodded iron man, it tells me I'm not eligible for achievements, so I don't know what's going on there.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

DoubleNegative posted:

If you make a vanilla game too easy on yourself, the game won't let you get achievements. For instance if Crisis Strength or Tech Costs are below, I want to say 0.75x. So check your game settings and make sure something isn't set too be too easy.

That's probably it. I tend to turn off the end game crisis because I don't find it very fun.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

iospace posted:

What is NSC?

A mod called New Ship Classes. It updates and expands the different ships and loadouts you can build.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

I'd ask what Niven related stuff we'll get but "Adams" didn't really have any Douglas Adams stuff other than an easter egg anomaly?

Microtransactions where you can buy stasis boxes!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grouchio posted:

It was a mod with a german namelist, german themed ships and cities, a german clothing set and and german symbol set (imperial, nazi, republican, etc) with some custom-made starts.

I just like playing as an Imperial non-nazi Reich. :shrug:

If it had Nazi symbols, that's probably why it was banned. Germany, for instance, outlaws the use and display of Nazi symbols except for matters of teaching and historical research. So as not to run afoul of the law, game designers usually leave out things like swastikas in games for sale in Germany. Paradox and Steam are probably going to be careful with user created mods that are run on the Steam site.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

Keep in mind Paradox also makes HOI4, a game about WW2. I haven't actually played it myself, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm given to understand that it's largely de-Nazi'd, skipping much of the more horrifying aspects of the regime to make an approachable (and acceptable to the current German law) WW2 game.

HOI4 replaces the swastika flag with another flag that i think looks similar to the German War Flag...a black Cross pattée in a white circle over a black Scandanavian Cross fimbriated in white on a red field, They also sell a modified version in Germany that blacks out some of the German generals/politician portraits and does some other minor graphical things.

eta:

Actually, i just found the thread on the Paradox forum where they talk about the changes to the German version of the game. Here they are:

quote:

German version lacks a certain DLC component which results in the following:
1) a bunch of prominent nazis is displayed as dark silhouettes instead of a colored portrait.
2) some speeches in events are different
3) SS generals have no skulls on their caps
4) event pictures with hitler and stuff from point 1 are different

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 27, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I have a confession. I like tiles. I know they're sort of micromanagement, especially when you have a lot of planets, but I do like the idea of, you know, first, that you have limited space to build...you have to choose buildings and specialize your planets, and second, that you can synergize resources and building placement. Would i like to see changes made to it? Sure...some sort of building manager, where you can upgrade all your buildings on a planet at once would be nice, and i like the changes that happened with 2.0, where your planet list on the right tells you what planets have empty space, upgradeable buildings, and tile blockers. But it seems to me that having the titles helps me conceptualize and choose buildings better than a game like Endless Space, where putting build orders in didn't really seem real or seem like it had any effect on the planet.. i like being able to look at the planet and say, "Well, i just put this mine down on this space, and now I'm getting 4 minerals from it.", or looking at a potentially colonizable planet and seeing "Oh, this has a lot of sociology resource squares...better make this a research planet and colonize it with my expert sociologists." That sort of thing is fun to me.

Victoria's pop and economic system on the other hand never made much sense to me. it seemed hopelessly cluttered with too much info, and i could never figure out how to actually affect the economy. It was more like, "Oh, I have 4000 Flemish Catholic Middle Class priests in Namur who aren't getting their furniture needs met. Better build a furniture factory. <Builds a furniture factory. Furniture factory turns a profit for 3 months and then goes bankrupt.>

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Shibawanko posted:

What are good and bad ascension perks, are there any really lovely ones?

A lot of them are situational, but some are more useful than others. Consecrated Worlds, for instance, which only shows up if you're spiritualist, gives you an edict that increases growth speed, happiness, and unity generation. This is fine, but spiritualists get a lot of bonuses to unity generation anyway, and have an edict, "create saint", that gives you a unity bonus but doesn't take an ascension perk. Galactic Force Projection gives you a bonus to fleet size and naval power, which again, can be handy, but there are a lot of techs and buildings that do that too.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm starting to think you don't much care for tiles.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

GorfZaplen posted:

We need more throne room drama. If this game took a few nods from CK2 and had the various scientists and governers be actual characters I would probably play this for 1000 more hours instead of 100

I'm starting to think Admiral Gex might fancy me.

A. It's not appropriate
B. Give him a good tumble!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Gadzuko posted:

I think I would prefer federations more if they functioned as a monolith rather than the current design of separate nations that are diplomatically linked. Make it so the individual states disappear and instead there's a Senate or something that has to vote to approve wars, policy changes and such, with a single elected president for leader bonuses. Nations that join up get converted to a sector within the federation. Something like that. It would require an expansion though.

That's pretty much what the Star Trek New Horizon mod does when you form the Federation. I guess my big question with that plan is, if you do that, and you and i federate, do you control the new state or do I?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Moving around in the New Horizons mod is slow. There are techs you can research and components you can install that will increase ship speed, but they can take a while, and fleets tend to move slower than in the unmodded game.

Regarding the humans, don't give up on them. While they do sort of sick at the beginning, if you manage to successfully complete an event chain and ally with your neighbors, fun stuff will start happening, and you get access to what might well be the most powerful special mechanic in the game.

But otherwise, the Romulus are a fun choice, or for more of a challenge, the Klingons. The Dominion and Borg are also fun, but they require a different style of play.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
New Horizons actually has some pretty interesting ship design mechanics as compared to the base game. Every ship class has two sections, one that just has weapon slots, and the other that has slots that modify things like evasion, weapon damage, and so on. Meanwhile there's another set of slots, common to all ship types, that set power, warp speed, sublight speed, shield steength, and so on.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

Are the Borg challenging at all to play? Never tried New Horizons but it seems real tough for them not to be absolutely unstoppable in the hands of a human. Do they have an unwinnable hell war with Species 8572 to keep them occupied?

Borg ships are tougher than normal, they start with a 25 size megastructure in their home system (Unicomplex 1), that already has one expansion, which can be expanded further, and they get a bunch of unity and science when they take over the first few planets of a new alien race. However, the Borg also have a terrible growth rate and next to no unity generation, and they can't colonize planets. So that pretty much means you're going to have to be at war with everybody all the time, both to get traditions but also just to get population.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The "Guy decides to become a god" event is vanilla, and doesn't really have any good outcomes, although some are less bad than others.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I had a situation once where I was in a system with 2 habitable planets. one of which had a primitive civ. I settled the uninhabited planet, and then, after a while, enlightened the primitive civ, who were, I think xenophobes. Because of the way Stellaris works now with ownership, they got my colony, and the next thing you know, I'm getting the "refugees arrive" event after my new protectorate kicked my colonists out. It made me smile.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Some sort of boarding party mechanism would be fun, along with the chance to disable ships, capture them and take them into your fleet.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive things, though. It's possible both for Paradox finding it not economically feasible to produce a Chinese localization and for Chinese gamers to be pissed that it's not. When a pizza place near me that I liked closed, I didn't think, "Well, that makes sense from an economically rational point of view." I thought, "Man, that sucks."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Splicer posted:

I am so far in you can call me... I can't think of a non-sexual metaphor.

Flynn?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Fit.

That's also reflected on the Steam store page. No preorder options though.

Steam doesn't let you preorder DLC. I think it's because of the way Steam handles DLC unlocking. If you preorder it on the Paradox site or elsewhere, though, you'll get an activation code on release date.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I get not liking planet tiles. I don't get the mocking of those who do.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It's a total conversion mod, but if you like Star Trek, New Horizons is fun.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The biggest difference for me when it came to the starbase/claim system was how it changed how I handled colonization. In the old system, when I found a planet that I wanted, I'd rush a colony ship to it, figuring I'd better get it before somebody else did. Now, I pretty much just have a construction ship follow my science ship around, slap a starbase down there, and backfill in colonies later. It's much less frenetic. I think Stellaris 2.0 is generally better than 1.0, but man, I do miss rushing to stake a claim to a system before somebody else takes it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

Isn't this just the icing on my goddamn cake.

It's nothing personal against you. It's just that you've chosen to turn yourselves into soulless automatons whose very existence is a mockery of organic life and a perversion of the natural order of the galaxy.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
You can actually turn off the the End Game Crisis altogether if you don't like them. You won't get Steam achievements, if you care about that, but if you don't think they're fun, or just want to play a standard 4x type game against AI empires and not have to worry about it, you can. It doesn't even take any effort. Just set the End Game Crisis strength slider to off.

And it's possible to win the End Game Crisis with multiple playstyles. It's just not possible to win it without a pretty large fleet. Which, I agree, is maybe a possible thing they want to look into for future DLC. More end game diversity would be fun, with more enemies, and maybe different ways to overcome them would be neat.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

CoolHandMat posted:

Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov - def has the feel of a galaxy spaning empire, and years of evolution of that empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series

It's darker, but so does Mike Resnick's "Birthright: The Book of Man".

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I've recommended it before, I think, but if you like Star Trek, there's the New Horizons mod, which is a Star Trek total conversion mod. In addition to the new setting, its got a bunch of new mechanics that are interesting....some of the empires have an espionage ability, which lets them sabotage enemy ships, hurt another country's relations or assassinate their leaders, and the Federation has options where you can spend influence to annex empires in a federation with you, give yourself bonuses to your foreign relations, give yourself research bonuses, or modify ship construction bonuses and maluses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I like the Spiritualist AI line, "Thinking machines are an affront to nature. These profane constructs must never be allowed to... ohhh, wait... "