Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What is the best way to deal with a Void Cloud early game when I have tier 1 weapons and have not seen any potential weapon upgrades until I just now started researching Space Torpedoes? I would really like it dead but I have lost a good 20 Corvettes trying to bumrush it and i never get it below 600 health.

Missile boat corvette swarm, no other weapons other than nukes, no armor, no shields. Each ship will cost about 115 minerals each. Any cannons are a waste, those shields are too thick and a waste of minerals. Same with armor and shields. Retrofit to a sane design once your cloud hunt is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Woot took out a devouring swarm with my tomb world foxy floofs. in Celebration, I made all the pops of the insect races of my desert worlds into copies of the insectile hive mind with genetic ascension perks and gene modding.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

So, I am finding that having battleships and corvettes is working well for me. I load the corvettes in 2 designs. The first is picket corvette with flak/autocannon x2. the 2nd is swarmer missile/autocannon. the battleships are set to artillery, with an all energy load out. The corvette swarm rips shields apart, allowing the big beams of the battleships to work as soon as possible on armor, the battleships are X bow, Large stern, carrier core, with auto cannons in the small slots, and flak point defenses.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

when genemodding is there a way to upgrade traits, so like strong into very strong?

Not without the top end gene ascension perk that allows you to remove positive traits.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The cultist chain needs a sanity check. right now, its considering gates and wormholes for local star systems to seed the bases and corvette fleets as local, when you are just starting out and have non of that tech.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 9, 2018

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Do hive minds care about habitability?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Alright, saves me from having to make another tundra race. I'm doing what that goon did with having 2 races per planet type, plus 1 tomb, machine, and gaia

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I wish there was a way to flag portraits as 'Dont use for random species' There are a bunch I just hate, like the Blorg living crap one.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I have the bug where the terraforming equipment summoned the mutants. They took over the planet, and tore apart the droids i had as placeholders to coax some people to move in.. and stopped. a human moved in before the purge was complete, and now there is a size 23 continental world with no tile blockers in the middle of my empire loaded with bugs, humans and foxes just mooching free food an providing nothing because its says its occupied. I cant build, i cant land troops and i cant bomb the place.

Is there a command or something I can do to purge this place and start over?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

No, im running beta patch. unless it was patched out in the last 24 hours

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Start exploring, find a pacifist life seeded empire to my south. ok, one little choke point, they will just exist down there. then, contact from my north. 2 new empires. Advanced start fanatic purifiers and advance start determined exterminators. :smithicide:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I went poking about, didn't find it, but is there a list of what each unique system is? like how Sanctuary has a ring world with 4 nations, gargantua has the infinity machine, etc? I went looking, only found the wiki for all the references and injokes.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Welp, just tried the Deathworlders. My jungle world is alive, with parasites, and giant spiders.

I feel i should renamed the place Nope

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Thanks to Guill's planet mods, I stumbled on a RP concept race that I am rather enjoying.

The Valdari became aware their planet is alive, and that planet views them as unnatural for being sentient and not part of its hive mind. This drove them into a religion devoted to killing this malevolent god. Their entire history is a war against this Planet God. National win condition is to planet crack their home world, but before that, pollute it and poison it as hard as they can with droid slaves and the fires of industry. Terraforming it is not an option to kill Arakim. Its not final enough. First act is to evacuate everyone to a new homeworld with the first colony ships and forced relocation. All other non living worlds are to be cherished as a promised paradise. Any other living world similar to Arakim is a target for Holy War to kill the Planet God no matter the owner.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

So using your planet cracker on a sterilization hub doesnt count as killing the contingency?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

8-9 fortress trade hubs over colonies for energy+blacksite+storage
3-4 central ship yards at at a gate systems
6-7 anchorage=black hole observatory/nebula refinery/enclave special+fleet logistics+storage
Choke point bastions as needed. dont forget to fortify unsecured wormholes

As many as they give me, i have use for. Id rather pay the upkeep on an anchorage over having just free fleet cap just for the other things i can get from the location buildings.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I was going to say, destroy your outpost, then send a ship in works to trigger it. Its a dumb bug, and annoying, but I never thought what would happen were it in a colonized system. The bonus you get for the chain isnt that vital, at least if thats the situation you are in.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I had the Prikiti Purifier gekkos go from pre ftl to a ftl empire. They sent me an insult. I dumped 100k of fleet and a ether hatchling on them with 32 very strong psi armies on their tiny empire in response. :dealwithit:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

A few custom designs that work for me as a general I dont care what I'm fighting in early game

Corvette Interceptor
Point Defense Hull
Flak, Auto Cannon/Kinetic, Plasma/Laser
Armor, Crystal Plate/Armor, Shield
Swarm Computer
Afterburners

Flak there has decent dps, has tracking to hit other corvettes, and is a generic damage type. They tend to be right there as the enemy missiles are fired and weight of fire pops them
Plasma and Auto Cannon just do bonus vs everything in turn.
Two armor because one damage type with missiles bypass shields completely and shields, even weak, regenerate. replace with crystal plate to allow corvettes to survive defense by pass attacks and withdrawal more likely.

I pair them with these. they add punch to the corvette fleet, and are nearly as hard to hit.
Corvette Guided
Missile Hull
Auto Cannon/Kinetic, Missile
Armor, Crystal Plate/Armor, Shield
Picket Computer
Afterburners

I tend to ignore destroyers. But I go with gunships.

Medium x2, Small x2 hull layout
Medium slots take 2 lasers. Kinetic cannons in the small slots, they have the same range as medium lasers. Half damage medium lasers still damage shields decently
Armor x3, Crystal Plate/Shield, Shield x2
Line computer
Afterburners

An amusing option late game with either AI or better Psionic computers, is an artillery brawler.

Large/PD hull

Kinetic Artillery/Large Other, x2 Laser point defenses
Armor x3, Crystal Plate/Shield, Shield x2
Picket Psionic Interface
Enigmatic Decoder

You have a cheap ship flying in with a hugely over sized gun with absurd tracking for its size. With top sensors, that Artillery has a tracking of 60 or so. A top dodging corvette has an evade of 90. tracking 60 makes that 30 evade. 30 evade vs accuracy 80 on that big gun means half of those artillery rounds are hitting corvettes.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Everything flows from mineral production. Im regularly hitting +1k a month by about 2300, 2k a month by 2350. And thats without hitting anything special as far as mine only planets or the like. I just put every mineral deposit as a mine, never minding its dual use, and put a power drill robot/droid/synth on it. If I wanted to, any world that is not my type can be made into pure mines with droids. even with just t2 mines, a tiny size 10 world is 30 minerals a month, then you factor in mineral processors and droid bonuses, you can get it to 40-50 easily. If you care about energy or research, take habitats, and put a solar collector habitat in orbit of it, then use that to power another pure research habitat to pay for the added cost of the power hab and mines. Added unity cost can be offset by buying an Art from the artisan troupe for each of these clusters. you get 5, so you can have 5 of these clusters going with no real loss in Unity.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

On building multiple gateways at once: build one construction ship per gateway. once the ship finishes building, double click the idle ship. It will be parked next to the partial gate. Start the finish stage, decommission the idle builder. Construction ships are very very cheap by the time you are looking at gate building, there is no reason to not have them be disposable per construction project, vs the early game of one constructor queuing up 5 star systems of mines. I typically put gates in all settled systems, choke points, fleet construction yards, and any systems that might be teraformed into colonized. I've managed to have 3-4 gates building at once, my biggest hindrance is Influence, even at 9+ a month, its one gate a year.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

First tier of terraforming is to clear all the blockers.

This. Weigh the cost and time of all the tile blockers, if you have the blocker tech, then if you need the planet now, or if years + energy is a fair trade. If you have gasses and liquids, the balance really shifts toward terraform. You can shift the planet back with another round of terraforming if it matters too much to you to not have off class planets colonized. You could if you want terraform off class worlds just to clear em, and drop droids on them.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 21, 2018

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Are there any good guides for the New Horizon's mod? Ive played base Stellaris+DLC to hell and back, decided to give it a shot. and Wow it changes everything.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

i role played one fanatic egalitarian, environmentalist, conservationist species needing less consumer goods as being satisfied with much less, coming from a true poo poo hole of a homeworld. a human's decent/poor living standards was their utopian abundance.

edit: even basic robots use consumer goods. Those drat capitalistic robots only working out of greed!

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 23, 2018

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

If you want an 'Eat the Rich' empire, try this:

Syncratic Evolution
Species 1 "The tasty rich"
Agrarian + Intelligent/Thrifty
Slow Breeders, Wasteful/Deviant

have them man your farms + power + research

agrarians +food and slow breeders can be viewed as species 2 snacking on them

Species 2 "Hungry Poors"
Proles (build toward military/minerals)

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I change humans to be Very Adaptive, Nomadic, Deviant, Wasteful, Quarrelsome

Contrary rear end in a top hat migratory flock if given half a chance.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Wiz posted:

Just gonna leave this here.

:colbert: not sorry

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Thrasophius posted:

I'm picking up the game again now. What are some of the better builds out there at the moment?

I'm a fan of Fanatic Spiritualist/Authoritarian Empire. Get yourself imperial cult and cut throat politics. you will have a nice flow of influence and cheap edicts.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

A guy has made a Darkest Dungeon advisor
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1481686306

I don't care to play the game until the next update, but I imagine this sounds fantastic

This needs to kick in when you encounter the Worm

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

CK2 in Stellaris when

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

As far as building robots on a world, i think I would like to see a tag per planet or a global policy that says "Robot Workers (Mines)[*] || (Farms) [ ]" with however many jobs you think you want robot workers in. organic pops fill in those roles first, and robots build until they displace and replace all the roles you have checked off. Ones the jobs you want run by robots are filled, you stop making them on that world. You might need a template designation for (Farmer, Miner) for your bots, to tell the system build this, its a miner, build that its a farmer, fill my jobs. Beyond that, with synths and research bots, leader/unity bots, what have you, just add more designations and jobs to check off to be filled.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Ok I hosed up bad and did the worst thing possible, I colonized a planet while an event that adds a trait to your species happens so now I have TWO meta-humans in my empire. Like 100 pops of "uplifted" meta-human and 11 who have spread out to 3 worlds of non-uplifted meta-humans. This is greatly upsetting my racist faction due to genetic impurity. How do I fix this? I've never been able to fix this, even with species-entries of identical traits.

I have "human" with 0 pops
then two sub-types, both "meta human", just one uplifted and one not. Please tell me there's a combination of engineering projects I can do to standardize the species, but I'm worried I can't because "uplifted" is a special trait you can't engineer. Am I have to go in with the kill_pop and copy_pop command?

I really hope one day species modification can be less messy and not keep producing situations like this.

Apply base human template to the smaller population on all worlds. Then, when that is done, modify them to the majority population or uplifted meta humans

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Guigui posted:

I think I am about to get shafted by a minor race that just reached the space age...

I am playing fanatic pacifist and xenophobia for inward perfection. I have a planet that shares the same system as these guys. My fear is that once these pre space worms reach empire status they will end up claiming everything else in my system... which includes a citadel and a 21 tile sized Gaia world.

I am not sure what to do... If they flip the system I Cannot just declare war on them to take it back... and as an inward perfection build I Cannot infiltrate their government so that I can immediately integrate them...

I am running out of time and options... losing this system would almost bisect my empire in two making military traffic impossible...

Only thing I can think of is hope to grab the collosus perk and neutralise the planet in a shield...

Is there perhaps something I am missing or forgetting that I could do to prevent this?

If i remember right, if they advance to space age themselves, they ask for you to remove your claim on their system. you can tell em no, and integrate them. If you uplift them you give them their system as a gift and they are your vassal. I have never played inward perfection though, so...

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, my issue with decadent isn't that that I think genetic traits that influence your society are bad, but only having one very specific one is bad. Also that the whole trait system is kinda bad and quickly becomes cluttered and should be more like a point-buy system.

Like why is there an option that gives me +20 year life span for 1 point and +80 for 4 points. Why not 2 or 3 point option? There's so many traits like that where I'll be hunting to spend those last 2 points on something cool and find a bunch of 1 point traits I wish had "advanced" versions for more points. Like natural engineers is 1 point for +15%, why not have a 2 point one that gives +25% ? Unadaptive is -2 points for -10% hab, cool, why not a -3 point one that gives -20% or a -1 point one that only gives -5% ?

I'd love to see traits re-worked more into a point system a little bit like ethos, where most of the traits have a normal, advanced, and extreme version costing more and more points. And the gene-modding system would understand this, letting you spend points to upgrade existing traits rather than having to swap them out. So maybe you took long-lived for 1 point, but want to upgrade from +20 years to +40 years, you just upgrade the trait and it becomes the next level.

Do the same for robots, let me pick power drills for 1 point and +10% minerals and then one day upgrade to mega-drills giving +20% for 2 points or whatever.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1390963071

This mod does that. Expands out the standard traits without adding anything else.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

gently caress yeah. This looks perfect. I wish it was easier to find the good stuff on the workshop.

You're welcome. I have a habit of popping mods in and trying them more than I play, so I've looked at a LOT of mods. The workshop sucks because there seems to be a million mods all made by a million people to do the same drat thing. a version sorter would be awesome if nothing else. Then you find one that adds in as a hidden feature sex rape traits.
:nws:
https://i.imgur.com/MfiZ4oA.png
:nws:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh

Cool

That's enough internet for tonight, I think

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

What the gently caress.

What the gently caress?

Sandboxes were a mistake.

Eeyup. There is no reason to have that kinda thing in a game like Stellaris. A form of Xenomorph/Tarantula Hawk breeding cycle racial trait? Sure, ok. Make it clinical or game mechanical. Parasitic Breeding trait or something. +pop growth -food production. No need for porn at all. If the species processes slaves as livestock, that offsets the lost food production. That picture was found with a quick Google image search for Stellaris Traits.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

A thing to do as a good guy, is make friends but not Federate. Federations tend toward dumb wars that dont do things for you. Make non aggression pacts, attack any rear end in a top hat empires near you with liberation/ideology wars. Make them like you. Play as the belligerent and go to wars over morality, but dont make them your vassals. be a force for chaos.

Edit: BaronJutter, what are you looking for in mods? Most of my subscription list is portrait packs.

This one adds more government civis, for instance.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=901988941

This rebalances strike craft hangers to be general purpose weapons that can actually outrun corvettes
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372641051

Places unfinished Gateway icons on your map
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1417954591

Adds more mandates for Democracies so its not just mines and research stations.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1255082381

Pops die off if there is no food
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1185610408

Expanded Mastery of Nature. For a ton of cost and influence, expand your planets up to 7 tiles. 2.2 is probably going to kill this one
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1324539009

Guilli's Planet Modifiers. Adds a ton of planet flavor to the game
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865040033

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 11, 2018

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

It's you. I searched for 'stellaris traits' and got no fox images in first 10 pages.

Ok, I cheated with the fox picture. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any mod out there that gives you a little more control over vassals? When you create your own vassal they take on your ideology, but if you declare war against someone and make them a vassal they keep their incorrect ideology. All I want to do is liberate their minds, but I end up having to annex them then quick set them up as a new vassal instead and it's a bit much.

I'd love something that makes vassals earned through war take on your ethics/government and as a bonus would love some special vassal diplomatic interaction like "enforce ideology" that works a bit like "enforce religion" in eu4.

I was going to suggest this

Vassalization Rebalance
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1518143731

But i saw you were the top comment there.

Feudal Expansion Policy
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365416496
This adds a policy to allow your vassals to expand or not by your government laws, without needing the Feudalism Civic

Edit: Not really what you were asking for.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 13, 2018