Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So I'm working on a thing. It's essentially Rogue Servitors but as xenophiles and you can be the Collector dude from Marvel. Put Howard the Duck in a glass case and have your people stare at him. I have other ideas around this civic but I want it to essentially be a way to do something cool with being a Xenophile. Still some kinks to work out as I've only got a core concept and an icon in the game that does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Reveilled posted:

I made you an icon:

That's incredible. :allears: Mind if I use it? I was thinking of a cage or something but stamps is way more appropriate.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

President Ark posted:

xenophile/authoritarian, maybe?

it should definitely conflict with egalitarian

Yeah I've been thinking about it, does seem like the kind of people who want to put other people in glass cases to be looked at wouldn't be down with space communism. History taught us that much! Restricting it to authoritarian would limit the amount of government types I'd need to create if I wanted to go that route.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Help a giant red jellyfish is killing my empire, I lured it to a red star like the horrible plant monsters told me to and it still destroyed everything. What's the actual fleet strength of a wraith? Please help my beautiful human pets are dying and it makes me sad.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Bring a poo poo load of plasma. I mean NOTHING but plasma, it has no shields, and you can kill it with potentially 6-8k.

Lol I'm nowhere near 6k, FML. Hitting restart on that save then.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Goddamn, modding Stellaris is a pain in the rear end. There's no validator like CK2 so I have to constantly load up the game and check the error log to try and replicate the spawning of Bio-Trophies at the start of the game. It's driving me crazy. I haven't got that even working yet. Thank god I program for a living and am used to this.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hot tip, if you as a player have to project a story onto a game mechanic in order to make it engaging, rather than the mechanic generating an event or sequence of events you can make into a story, the mechanic is bad. I have now said mechanic so many times it doesn't mean anything anymore. mechanic

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Gort posted:

What does a fanatic pacifist even do in this game

I guess explore, expand into empty space, then what, wait for the crisis?

loving nothing, because there are no individual mechanics assigned to pacifism that would make playing as them interesting.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

My first 2.0 game was xenophile pacifist, and the interesting mechanic I found was having my dudes migrate to every other empire and slowly turn the entire galaxy pacifist.

I mean sure, but that's not an immediate and exciting mechanic that's fun to tinker with, like authoritarian slavery or the various robot forms. One of the ways I think Stellaris is weak is that a lot of the AI aliens I come across don't really have an identity because no matter what their civics or ethics choices are, they basically all do the same mechanical things as I do except more incompetently, so I just end up judging them by their fleet strength and by if they hate me or not. I'm kind of just surrounded by a blob of jerks that I'm sizing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Endless Space 2 has a race that lives on ice planets because they come from a weird blank white octagon dimension, and color is horrifying to them. I think the MoO reboot had some planet diversity in that some races would terraform towards a unique biome that only suited them, but it wasn't a huge deal otherwise. It's not much of a deal in 4X games right now and I'd definitely like it to be more of a thing.