Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

queeb posted:

So i fired this up, want to get familiar with things before the new patch. but its like, stuttering on every single day, on a fresh game. so basically every second theres a small freeze. is that normal?

No. My game on an ancient laptop does not do this. It also doesn’t do this on the gaming machine that is more recent (just checked) so yeah, it’s your system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1764704051

Maybe take a look at this. I'm going to give it a try in my next game to see if it helps.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Oh hey they fixed a desync that occurred if more than one empire had the same origin. I wonder if that's why multiplayer desyncs sucked recently.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

If you cannot convene the galactic senate, you must become the senate.

:getin:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Bofast posted:

To what? "The Stellaris thread: cataloguing Dicks, from moderate to catastrophic"?

Stellaris 3.0: Dick and the Logistic Function

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

I like the two games with espionage that doesn't suck, and in the others I enjoy the absurdity of the AI using it instead of winning the game for a while then I turn it off. Leaning towards "well this is dull" so far on the stellaris spy stuff. The darloks would be appalled.

Spawning privateers if sufficiently powerful fleets might be cool.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Stellaris 3.0: Dick Thursday & The Case of The Logistic Function

The crack in space is between monitor and chair.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Anecdotes aren't data, but here's an anecdote anyways because it might make you feel better. I mostly play materialist empires these days because I find thesis defense messages hilarious for federations. I have routinely culled my factions down to the materialists + whatever the other empire authority I have, and it certainly feels consistently achievable. If you are struggling to get your factions down to 2, you are likely missing something causing ethics attraction (such as diplomatic agreements) or you are allowing migration or purchasing slaves with a disruptive ethics. Factions are a dumb black box, but they are a dumb black box that responds consistently. Suppress the faction, cancel migration treaties to people different than you, go through and figure out where your problem pops came from, fix whatever attracted those ethics in the first place and if you're impatient deport the pops, wait a decade or so keeping tabs to verify they are changing away from whatever badwrongfun ideas they have and eventually the faction dissolves.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Yami Fenrir posted:

Yes, they do.

You can basically solve piracy forever by overlapping gateway coverage on your border bastions which have hangar bays.

Piracy is also fiddly but yeah you can have zero piracy happen with thousands of trade flowing through overlapped bastions with unarmed but present defense platforms and hangar bays.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Thanks to the above replies. Little strange though. I've built all sorts of gateways around to bring trade directly to my home system, but even with a gateway in it and a gateway on a station full of hangers, I still get pirate attacks on a system next door from the capital. Maybe the amount of trade just overwhelmed the hanger patrols?

Build a set of unarmed (go in and custom design them) defense platforms on any system where pirates actually show up. Defense platforms can be built on any outpost (not just upgraded ones) and they suppress piracy based on existing not on their loadout. This is the fine tune "this one fiddly system needs 3 more suppression" option.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Libluini posted:

Still, it's kind of hilarious that all those events are so heavily skewed towards spiritualism. It's a refreshing inside into the mind of the mod author. :v:

I took it as a comment on how pernicious spiritualism is. Which seems, well, fair. People who legitimately believe and order their lives based entirely upon their unfalsifiable imaginings are terrifying. See - humans, Sol 3. Also, videogames.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

as opposed to paradox, who have a literal decades-long proven track record of game ai thats not great at playing the game?

this is year 23 of not incredible paradox ais, if they were a person they could drink

Imagining paradox ais drowning sequentially in a toilet as they try to drink. The next AI comes in and improves the toilet by moving the previous AI corpse slightly to the left so it can shove its own head into the bowl. Major releases do things like put their head in the tank instead of the bowl.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

Can't emphasize enough that Spiritualists in Stellaris have direct access to the place souls go to when the body dies. It's basically Hell but it's as real as anything that Materialists do. Once you reach into the Shroud the gulf between your empire and the empire that killed everyone and are now pretending that soulless husks are actually people should be so vast as to preclude anything but a mutual agreement to pretend the other doesn't exist.

Spiritualism is the belief in the unfalsifiable, and that is to be clear - entirely fine. Believing in things which you cannot prove or disprove is an important skill set - it lets you discover new things and account for other's feelings. It's also completely terrifying because it lets you discover new things some of which are real, loving terrifying, and sometimes crisis inducing. Lastly it lets you wonder if other people feel what you feel which is very existential, and probably good for you, but tastes like boiled Brussel sprouts.

I wasn't trying to randomly dunk on spiritualists for believing things they cannot prove, merely commenting that spiritualists in stellaris being pernicious and inscrutable and rather hard to wipe out is very good flavor for them given what spiritualism is all about. It's nice.

Now, report to medbay 101221 for science.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Gort posted:

Thoughts so far:

1. Tiny Outliner is still a must-have mod

2. I wish it would tell me in the outliner when there are no available jobs on a planet (as opposed to unemployment). I like to build buildings and districts when jobs hit 0 so the new pops don't spend time unemployed.

3. It's still annoying that excess admin cap does literally nothing for your empire

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Stellaris 3.0: Logistics Improved After Dick Arrived.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

The event manager hates -that- world specifically.

Always fun.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Thanks, I hate it.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Accretionist posted:

There needs to be an easier way to grind crisis points.

This has turned into a deeply unethical farming sim.

Stellaris 3.0: a(nother) deeply unethical farming sim by pdx.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

FileNotFound posted:

Robotic ascension + nihilistic acquisition.

It's as broken as it gets right now.

Constantly declare wars on weaker empires. Steal their people. Turn their people into robots just like you. (Can't do that to hive or gestalt but anything else you can)

Repeat every time truce is up.

You don't even need to build robot factories with that approach.

I was easily able to push to 1200 pop by 2300 with that method.

Don't forget to buy slaves and put them into robots too!

The actual "grow your own" methods of population improvement are still a distant 4th (possibly worse) place behind "steal your neighbors", "buy the market", and my personal favorite "settling a planet then evacuating it" (you can do this last automatically by settling worlds where your habitability is poo poo, disabling jobs, and putting the relevant "flee the system" module in the starbase. Such luxury!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Areas of minimal efficiency I willfully ignore:

Scientist trait research shuffle
Robotic worker trait assignment
Planet by planet gene mods

I understand I am giving away as much as 10% in each of these and I just don’t care. The more I dwell on it the more I conclude pdx’s defining design paradigm is the horizon effect.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

Early on missiles are a huge trap (as in you'll lose to a fleet that's like 2/3 your power), I need to mess around and figure out if there is a mid-game timing for them.

The other thing is that if you go into your edicts, you can spend rare resources to get a 10-year buff to a whole slew of combat stats, and it can make a huge difference. Getting some production of them early can give you a lot of extra muscle in early-midgame wars even if you don't have the buildings that use them unlocked yet.

A caveat - Missile corvettes with an unyielding admiral and afterburners were a dominant strategy for a while in the early techrush fast vette attack mp scene. You can put an absurd amount of alpha onto the enemy fleet with missiles, and as a result you can actually punch above your weight fleet wise because your initial wave will chop a section of the enemy fleet off before they fire. Once larger ships arrive on the field with enough buffer hp that the initial long range alpha isn’t quite as likely to force a third of the enemy guns offline, missiles are less interesting. Then you research them high enough to recreate alpha and they become interesting again.

As far as avoiding newb traps, destroyers and cruisers require finesse, in general a corvette with your best weapon system is the cheapest way to get your best weapon system into space, and the most stable endgame fleet is kinetic battery battleships. If you decide as a new player to focus on vettes and bs and ignore destroyer/cruiser doctrine that is entirely reasonable. The last thing is to make your fleets homogenous. Sublight travel speed is based on the slowest boat in the fleet, and admiral bonuses have different utility to different hull types.

Managing jobs via the population screen is the entire game from the economy side. If you aren’t telling your workforce exactly which jobs they can take by closing down the others, you are at the mercy of the pdx “may you live in interesting times” AI philosophy. Yes it is tedious and stupid.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Staltran posted:

I usually replace the colonists with entertainers pretty quickly, which is probably why I haven't have problems with this.

Are you saying you turn off jobs and force unemployment when those jobs are middling? How dare you sir.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

What people feel about the global growth cap varies based on how aware they are of how the game actually works, and sadly access to that part of the game is hidden away under the stairs in the half demolished building that was condemned thirty years ago after it caught on fire, twice, and has since grown over with lush poison ivy. Also it's on the first moon of alpha centauri B.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It would help me sell my friends on this game if it was less pointlessly inscrutable and reliant on the horizon effect to hide the rough edges and dodgy programming choices.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Can you colonize, migrate away/abandon, and then re-colonize? Colonizing creates pops, right?

Broadly, Yes. There are various subtleties to maximizing that route.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Unemployment.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Sloober posted:

primary reason i dont like the growth changes is just that its a bandaid for performance, and also does not take into account galaxy size or habitability settings

Yeah this.

The simulation should not crater as the game goes to larger numbers of population. That it does is the problem. You don't fix this problem by saying "we'll stop growth so you don't get there within the default game length" because that kneecaps any game that goes longer, and doesn't address the issue. Using the horizon effect to mask bugs is meh.

Anyways, back to filling space with malls.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Turn off jobs that suck entirely. This usually means clerks.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Buildings beyond pop assembly and planetary capital are situational. Every one of your planets should upgrade their capital every time it is available, and you should be able to assemble something with the pop assembly queue. After that your building/district slot choices depend on a larger flowchart, but you will likely not max out more than a few core worlds, and should get used to having unbuilt buildings/districts depending on what is going on. Instead, focus on employing your people per planet in a way that benefits from a specialization or better yet many specialization stacking together.

Anias fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 23, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

Espionage is fun and I like the little vignettes you get when acquiring assets or when something happens on a mission. I'm also a big fan of the new First Encounters system. Your first few forays into space now feel much more mysterious and exciting.

Really, the writing/storytelling in Stellaris is it's biggest asset and I think it's the best PDox game of the bunch in that category. I love reading the stories in archaeology or anomalies. Horizon Signal still gives me chills.

I can agree with a lot of this.

Stellaris continues to ooze flavor. The simulation having the scaling problem that got solved via bandaid is annoying, but for most people just playing vanilla single player with an eye towards winning the game at some point, it works fine. It's only if you really do MP, modded, or want to run the simulation longer that the empire growth cap being a bandaid is a problem. (You can absolutely tear the bandaid off via a "2 line mod" but then you're just staring at the wound wondering why they didn't suture it. It's sort of like having a portal to hell that is over there, and as long as noone ever goes over there it's fine. No of course we didn't close the portal, that would require work on technical debt.)

So yeah - Nemesis good, bandaid is a dumb but understandable fix for the core game, most goons and bad players will never notice the yawning portal to hell that is beyond their horizon. For the rest of us...uh, entertainment awaits?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Chemical Bliss -> Zronian Stupor -> Bio Trophies.

Let it wash over you.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Forced migration remains the dominant strategy.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

So, with the lack of automatic resettling, robots and machine empires are awful micro-intensive garbage now right?

I mean, every single empire in the game benefits massively from the player playing "Personal HR Manager" for every planet.

That's sort of the economy game in a nutshell right now - buildings and districts are the extra minutia clicks, just people seem to enjoy those clicks more than "turn on more researcher jobs, turn off clerk jobs" which is what will make your empire better. There's this entirely pointless layer or two of obfuscation of what would work perfectly well as a series of sliders.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Keep digging

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Every designer learns about fail forward eventually! If you were lucky enough to learn it non destructively, chalk up the win and enjoy.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

At least we agree on something.

Feel free to carry on your valiant fight, friend. Saying 'don't take the guy posting about bugs he finds to mean the game is totally broken' isn't that big a deal imo.

When I've earned the privilege of you feeling that I'm able to post in the space ship video game thread, you can pm me about it if you want.

:getout:
:getout:

Do the spacey races and spin yourself around. That’s what xenophiles about.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It’s almost like the culture isn’t sound.

Oh well.

Defense platforms, specifically completely naked zero module defense platforms, can be useful as ablative armor and count just like fully fit defense platforms for trade protection purposes. Fitting strike craft is the next best choice if you want your ablative armor to punch back.

Mostly useful to empires trying to maximize trade, which is niche enough that most empires can safely ignore it. It can be fun though if you haven’t ever gone all in on the trade economy.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Maybe they can address technical debt!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Jazerus posted:

criminal megacorps

If you're modding, these should be on the list. Criminal Megacorps are -real bad- for many varied reasons most of which have been typed at length elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Picture the habitat. Spinning silently in space, empty. Then suddenly, a great fwoosh flows through the ancient circuits, the music turns on. Then lights, and suddenly the robots begin to stir to life once more. “A happy day citizen! You have activated the bioreactor, with this energy we shall craft your Perfect Shell (tm). Soon you will be free.” The volume of the music rises, in time with the fire, and the scientist’s life burns away. The empty science vessel floats in space, silent. The habitat’s systems power down, and the synth mourns the engineers decision to place the bioreactor in the entry bay to maximize efficiency, then powers down, alone.

This is why they don’t allow hydroponics habitats anymore. Galactic ordinance 579

Anias fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 3, 2021