Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ms Adequate posted:

On which note, does anyone have suggestions for where to source some good Savannah planet names from?

African trees and plants. Baobab, Acacia, Marula, Guarri, Manketti...always thought they sounded like sci-fi planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Was "multiple ftl" like a huge selling point? Like I see that brought up a lot and it's like really? Clicking a star with where there's no connecting line and clicking star that has connecting line was some huge paradigm shift in your gaming outlook?

I can see that, honestly. Sword of the Stars had multiple FTL types and it owned bones. It gave a lot of variety to the early-game and made every faction feel and play different.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I just started playing and I'm trying a barbarian despoiler, warmongering civ. I usually play technocratic hippies in these sorts of games, so this is going against type. When can I reasonably start conquering/raiding other civs?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Horizon Signal event chain is some real-rear end poo poo :eyepop:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Baronjutter posted:

I've never messed with the worm but I stuck my toe in this time for once. Just enough to get spooped and get the spiral feed power hubs. They are very useful because you can't built power hubs on habitats, but you can build spiral feed's. Also loop institute is very good.

I just killed the guy trying to de-evolve my race and left it at there, seems to be no downside other than some drug addicted depressed scientists. I didn't know you could just go half-way and get some rad buildings but not go all the way and gently caress up your homeworld and species.

You can also go all the way to the end and then kill the poo poo out of it. That's how orcs deal with time paradoxes! :black101:

I love the Authoritarian responses when it calls for your scientists. "Well, it asked politely. Send him in!"

Spanish Matlock posted:

You can just bottle all the contingency worlds too. There's even a custom text popup for it. Bottle everyone.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I thought all L-gates led to the same Cluster?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I just started playing and I already hate the tiles. Goddamn.

OwlFancier posted:

How do you have 40 starbases?

The maximum upper I tend to hover at is like, 15, 20 maybe if you pick grasp the void. And most of those don't need much upgrading because they're trading hubs or anchorages which you don't really need to do anything with once you set them up. Unless you've conquered the entire galaxy I don't see how you end up with anything close to 40.

I'm about halfway to a Domination victory and I've got 30, so I can see it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

OwlFancier posted:

Are you playing on a very large galaxy? I can control like, a fifth of the map without hitting 15.

I mean in either case I would suggest that the amount of starbases I have scales fairly well with the amount of places I want to put a starbase, there's always an observatory, listening post, wormhole, habitable system, or something I want to put a starbase at. And I rarely have enough starbases to put them everywhere I'd like to.

Whatever the default mapsize is. Medium, I think? I think I just have a really large population, since I wasn't expressly trying to get a huge cap. Though I did take Grasp the Void because I didn't like the other Ascension Perks for my Barbaric Despoilers. +10% research speed is for effete scientists, not manly (orkly?) orcs :black101:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

OwlFancier posted:

Even still it's going to become a very marginal gain very quickly. I build some habitats but it's very easy to stack minerals to the point where you can build more than you would want, instead of pushing for science and looking to get better megastructures or looking to capture territory from foes, even if you're going to vassalize them.

I would say it's rarely going to be worth aiming for more than 150 mineral income per month, 200 tops, which is easily attained if you stay on good terms with enough of your neighbours that you don't need to maintain a large standing fleet. If you are fighting a lot of wars then maybe but in peacetime that's about the limit of my need to develop.

You can always use excess minerals to upgrade Starbases. Star Fortresses and Citadels ain't cheap.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Black Pants posted:

The big thing I don't like about the hyperlane system (aside from the slow as molasses thing) is that capturing a system with a gateway doesn't stop the enemy warping their ships in after your fleets have left, and retaking everything behind you. You basically need to dedicate fleets just to sitting on gates during a war, especially now that the new galaxy generation can lead to some really convoluted laneways.

I thought it does? Gateways can only be used if you control both sides, or the guy on the other side has open borders with you. Wormholes can be used whenever, but they're rarer.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is the Shroud ever worth the cost? I’ve dialed 1-800-CHAOS a few times now, and it’s been pretty underwhelming even when it works.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mahasamatman posted:

Thinking about it more, are there any major hurdles to a slave empire? Do I have to do more micromanaging or do I just enslave anyone on mineral and/or food tiles? Are there slave rebellions? Do I make sure to build extra armies or strongholds or something? I haven't really put any time into them before.

My first run ever was as a Barbaric Despoiler with slave guilds. I made my main species a bunch of dumb, strong, excellent-soldier orcs. About 50 years in, I realized that my own guys were wayyyy better slaves than any other species I could potentially enslave, which really threw a damper on the whole "galaxy in chains" motif I was going for.

Really, you want your main species to be effete science/energy producing types who snatch lesser species (preferably with Charismatic or Strong traits) to do the dirty farming/mining/soldiering work. Think Dark Eldar from WH40K.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There desperately needs to be a way to request your war partners to call it a day when you aren't the primary combatant. Twice now I've been trapped in forever wars with my buddy empire because he has delusions of grandeur and has claimed literally every system our two mutual enemies own. The second time I tried to politely say "thanks, no thanks" to his war declaration, but he kept spamming it, making me lose 50 opinion with each rejection, and I was worried he would drop out of my Federation in a huff if he didn't get his way.

I'd also like a way to influence Federation votes. I want to invite a third guy to my Federation, but my buddy is voting NO and I'm not sure why. They both have Friendly relations with each other, what's the holdup?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Federation Fleet can also have unlimited ships per fleet, it seems? Which is situationally useful, particularly if you've got a single uber-badass admiral.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There really doesn't seem to be any downside to colonizing literally everything in the end game. I've already got all the Traditions (literally all of them, I'm playing Fanatic Spiritualist and I absolutely poo poo Unity), and pretty much all of the Techs. The only other thing that increases in cost with planets colonized is Unity Edicts, and I can outgain that by putting Temples everywhere.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hunt11 posted:

For the Gaia world chain from Distant Stars what happens if you let the planet be purged by fire? Does that destroy the planet or does that just give me a free gaia planet to colonize?

Not letting them be purged just causes the purging fleet to get pissy and kill your outpost before loving off (without destroying the planet), so it's not a big deal either way.

Wiki says a purge turns the planet into a barren world :nyoron:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah it could use some adjusting. I'm playing a game right now and me and two other civs have been repeatedly attacking almost nonstop for the entire game. I sorta feel bad. I attacked first and devoured my eastern neighbor and then moved north attacking my two northern neighbors. Since my initial attack every neighboring civ has been attacking these poor guys non stop for hundreds of years in nearly sequential order pretty much as soon as the peace deal expires.

Finally they formed a federation, although it didn't help at all. I finally decided to vassalize one of the poor guys. I occupied all of his planets and took all of his systems. Then I went and occupied all the systems and planets of the other member of the federation. They have no standing fleets, no shipyards left, no allies. Surrender though? Out of the question. Now I'm just waiting for their war exhaustion to keep ticking because apparently their acceptance of a full surrender won't clear the hurdle until they reach 99% exhaustion. Not only that, but since they're taking so long my two allies have started another war with them so now I'm afraid of some stupid claim shenanigans taking systems away from my vassal.

It's still a much better system than I remember - it just needs some tuning.

One thing I think would help is if War Exhaustion could tick above 100%. If 100% exhaustion represents the populace being completely at its limit, going beyond that represents the population also going beyond its limits. Like the Japanese in WW2 having seminars on how to cook and eat grass. Let each point of war exhaustion past 100 count for double with regards to calculating giving into demands, and if they reach 200% while the other side is still below 100, they’re way more likely to simply give in and surrender.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Driven Assimilators are so much fun. drat powerful too, once you get a few different species on your team.

JOIN US.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there a bug with Migration? I'm playing as Fanatic Xenophile Egalitarians trying to make a nice, inclusive galactic republic, but I can't get any takers despite having three Migration treaties and a Paradise Planet. I blew 200 influence on the lovely Migration attractiveness edict and only got one customer in the 14 years it was running.

The reason I feel like it's a bug is that there isn't any internal movement either, despite having the aforementioned wide-open paradise planet. You'd think the Tomb World guys I uplifted and integrated would want to get off their shitheap planet and into paradise. They even have the Nomadic trait... :nyoron:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bloodly posted:

How happy are they on their planet? As I've heard it, they'll only move if they'll be happier where they'll go to. There aren't many ways to mess with happiness, so the matter's nigh impossible.

Xenophile's just forgotten, it feels like. Happiness as a production boost also seems problematic to base around.

It's hard to imagine they wouldn't be happier on a Paradise planet given the inherent happiness buff.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ConfusedUs posted:

Migration treaties kind of suck early on. Remember that pops won't migrate until their planet is full, unless they're displaced by gov't policy.

Oh. Ohhhh.

Seriously?!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Do habitats give the normal colony penalties to tradition/tech? Because I can’t see the point if they do.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

CoolHandMat posted:

do habitats count as worlds when turning a FTL Inhibitor off so i can proceed

Depends if they have a Stronghold or Fortress building, since that's what generates FTL Inhibitors for planets. Starbases have them by default.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Oh yeah, forgot I had a mod that added that back.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Eopia posted:

So besides what's listed in the OP, are there any particular mods anyone here would recommend using?

1080p Interface and Tiny Outliner if you have a nice, large monitor. Xenology adds some neat unique traits that can also spawn leaders with unique traits, I recommend it. Claims Decay does what it says on the tin, claims don't persist forever (which mainly helps the player, but also makes diplomacy and federations wayyyy more viable). I like Downscaled Ships, it helps your mighty Titans and Battleships stick out visually from your puny corvettes. More Events Mod is a mixed bag, but overall it does add some neat variety.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fojar38 posted:

Also their fleets can be really easily hard countered, especially Scourge and Unbidden, who have basically all armor/shields respectively

One trap that I feel into when I played 2.0 for the first time was assuming that stations would be worth a drat as bastions but that is only true against empires you already dominate, because Stellaris has a problem with evasion making or breaking a fleet engagement and guess what can't evade

Citadels and Bastions are really powerful supporting pieces thanks to their auras, but they probably won't stop a fleet on their own unless you max out defense platforms.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You can always start a crisis using the console, assuming you aren't playing Ironman. I got real comfortable with the console last game because it lets you force Status Quos and Surrenders for the persistent "never-ending war" problem Federations have.

"event crisis.1000" spawns the Unbidden.
"event crisis.199" spawns Prethryn.
"event crisis.2000" spawns the Contingency.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

PhantomZero posted:

The biggest reason I don't play this game more is all the drat clicking. I feel like i'm going to get carpal tunnel if I play this game too long, the tiles suck.

My last game was a Fanatic Pacifist/Spiritualist with 16 Core Systems :shepicide:

I used the Dryads from the workshop and played them as a Life-Seeded caretaker race, genetically-engineered by a race of alien Precursors to help them turn the galaxy into a paradise. Once I got Climate Restoration, my sworn mission was to Terraform everything into Gaia Worlds. Everything...

It actually ended up being the easiest game I ever played, despite all the intentional handicaps I took for the sake of roleplaying. Everybody seemed to want to be my friend. I got a huge Federation together before 100 years had passed and rolled the entire galaxy long before the Crisis popped up. The Great Khan showed up laughably late and got steamrolled by a 170k fleet power Federation Fleet, the first time I'd ever seen the Khan die in battle.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

OwlFancier posted:

That's a great deal of narrative to inject into the game spawning a bunch of stuff out of nowhere because that's the most low effort way to challenge the player.

No no you see the game isn't teleporting enemies in on top of you, it's making a narrative point you see, it's art.

Emperor of Rome, 441 AD: "Wtf huge horde of Huns just spawned on me, OP Archers, devs please fix"

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bloodly posted:

That's not as valid, as they had years of refugee events leading up to it.

They didn’t have a crisis strength slider :colbert:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Soylent Pudding posted:

Some of my favorite sci-fi battles involved huge fleets attacking a heavily fortified station. Babylon 5 versus the Earthforce loyalists or Deep Space 9 holding off the Klingons/dominion. I wish in the lategame it was practical to have a handful of huge fuckoff titan level space fortifications protecting key systems.

A Citadel that's fully kitted out for defense with the max number of defense stations can have 40k-ish fleet power, enough to hold off all but the strongest fleets.

The NSC mod has an extra-tier space station that's supposed to be even stronger than that. Think I'm gonna give that mod another try.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

psydude posted:

I'm at that point in this play through of Stellaris where I've already beaten the end game faction, defeated all of the fallen/awakened empires, and researched everything. But I'm stuck in a stupid war with the other federation where, despite me having taken over all of their star bases, invaded most of their planets, and their war exhaustion being 100%, my ally won't sue for peace. And we're the defending belligerent, too.

Force them to surrender using the console. It’s the only way to make federations tolerable.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If you take the Synthetic ascension path and turn your people into Synths, do they lose their species traits?

I'm playing Fanatic Materialist for the first time and I'm hesitating to pull the trigger on Synthetic ascension because it just seems kinda meh. The bonuses for cyborgs are pretty weak, and while synths are good, I could just...have synths normally.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ice Fist posted:

So a guy I just clobbered in a war snuck a fleet through my territory while the open borders treaty was still in effect and murdered the curator station in my borders.

What the gently caress?

What a hilarious dick move.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Has anyone had a game yet that did not include the Mardak Vol event? I've been penciling in a free size-25 Gaia Planet into every game I start, and so far I haven't been let down.

It especially makes Life-Seeded starts easier.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 30, 2018

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Worth noting that Cyborgs do use growth like normal organics. Which is a big part of what makes Driven Assimilators so good.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
TIL that if you become a Satrapy, the Horde will invade and purge all of the Primitive Civilizations within your borders.

KHAAAAAAAAAAN! :argh:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gay Horney posted:

trying to finish my determined exterminators game. Is there any way to see how much of the galaxy I control? Neutron sweeping the organics won't really help me much will it

Domination Victory is based on the total number of habitable planets in the galaxy. if that number were to go down...say, by means of a hypothetical planet-cracking device...you will find yourself closer to the goal.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gay Horney posted:

But doesn't neutron sweep mean that the planet is still habitable the pops are just dead? so really the only viable option is controlling the planets. Do I need to actually have the planers colonized or is having them in my space enough

Refit your Colossus to carry the Planet-Cracker instead of the neutron sweep. Shattered Worlds are uninhabitable.

Only colonized worlds count, yes. Which means you may actually have a reason to colonize those lovely 8-14 tile worlds, if you're close enough to the goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Captain Invictus posted:

I colonize every single planet I can and use land clearance on everything under twelve tiles for those sweet, sweet extra 3 tiles. They usually have something great like +4 resources on at least one of them too.

I think you’re better off building habitats, statistically.

Only real use for small planets is on chokepoints, if you load them with fortresses and a shield generator they take forever to crack.