Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I sent a message to glyphgryph asking but he hasn't posted in the new thread or responded to me yet. If he has a problem, I'll take it down.

I went ahead and learned the bare minimum about modding, to update and fix the Goon Species mod located HERE.

It has all the species from the previous pack EXCEPT the "Grand and Mighty and Powerful Collection of Superior Beings" as the mod their portrait comes from is broken and I'm certainly not going to mess with that. I had to adjust some of the species whose traits or ethics had shuffled and were no longer valid. If you submitted one of these species and don't like what I did, or if I have a flag or color or anything wrong, please tell me here or in a PM and I'll fix it as soon as I can.

Like glyphgryph did, I'm open to taking submissions. Please put them in a pastebin, and provide a picture with your post; anything without a biography of some kind will not be considered. You can post it here or just PM me, I use the Awful app a lot and it tells me when I get a PM.

One last thing! I'm not sure if anyone posted it but I had Aethernet add a link to the Discord in the OP. Its been dead for a while but maybe with 2.0 it can be revived so I have someone to complain at when I gently caress up. https://discord.gg/Wa28D77

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Randarkman posted:

It's a shame that no one has made a Skaven/ratmen portrait pack yet. Really want to make a Skaven fanatic purifier empire set to using the pirate graphical culture for their ships.

It's not animated and doesn't have alternate colors but there is at least one picture and also a custom built namelist:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1315761568

EDIT: If you want me to add your species to the Goon Pack, hit me up with a pastebin of the info from your user_empire_designs.txt.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 28, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1314848686

Friends Like These is updated with 7 new species from Libluini and Galaga Galaxian. I think I'm almost getting the hang of this.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Too bad about the not animated thing. Though I'd prefer the smaller Skaven anyways. Like this guy

I'm not done with my empires yet, and I haven't done quick backstory writeups for anyone yet, I'll share once I'm done with that.

I looked over the section on how to animate portraits and my eyes glazed over. It was hard enough finding a decent Skaven-ish picture to convert, much less tear apart and animate.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Outpost energy costs should scale. Up to ten outposts, they cost nothing. 11-20 is one energy per, 21+ is two energy per, with a mid to late tech that reduces it to .5 and 1 energy. Keeps the early game costs down, then ramps it up as you start unlocking more resources and techs to reduce costs.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 1, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

I'm way behind in the thread but I wanted to submit these guys for the latest generation of the goon race mod:

The Solarian State

(not shown: starting system is Sol, of course)

Made them natural engineers since that's the only way you can literally create pops to be slaves.

I need a pastebin or similar of your user_empire_designs.txt to add it in.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh found out that's an actual file.

Here is the Grand Extrasolar Indemnity Company. I wish I knew how to mod namelists so I could modify stuff like fleet design names. I love my "Accident Forgiveness-class" ships.

https://pastebin.com/bADWtsfj

The wiki has a page about custom name lists, I think. Wasn't too hard; you can basically just take a list you like and add whatever you want to it and save it as a new list. I'm on mobile now but if you can't figure it out, I can attempt to help with my limited knowledge sometime this weekend.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

1080p mod is great, the Tiny X mods aren't updated so I haven't been using them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'd like a megastructure that lets you build a hyperlane between two points that aren't connected, within a certain range.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ulmont posted:

Isn't this functionally what a gateway pair does?

This is true and I can't really think of a reason to have a hyperlane instead but maybe someone could think of something.

Edit: Make it cheaper than a Gateway and only require a tech but you can't block it off like you can a Gateway.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a handy list of all the possible government combinations (Pacifist/Fanatic Egalitarian, Pacifist/Fanatic Xenophobe, etc) or will I have to make my own checklist? I imagine it's pretty big since you can have 2-3 per empire.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

PepperKeibu posted:

If my script is correct, there are 80. As far as I can tell this is every combination but I am too lazy to check.

:dance: You're my time saving hero.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Guilliman posted:

:>

Predicting an official feature for patch 2.3 or later :P

Need some ideas how ship crews could alter ships? Right now I just have Standard crew, Psionic Crew, Synthetic Crew, Clone Crew, Purifier Crew, Alien Crew (think star trek), Slave Crew

Standard - Standard, reduced upkeep perhaps

Psionic - Psychic Invasion - Increase the enemy's chance to flee battle, as their minds are filled with fear.
OR
Mind-link - Entire fleet has increased evasion and weapon accuracy (this is a thing, right?)

Synthetic - Repair Droids - Bonus hull/armor repair while in combat as repair droids swarm over the ship.

Purifier - Suicide Run - Ship flies to the (biggest? strongest?) ship in the enemy fleet and explodes, dealing double its hull in damage.

Slave - Increased chance of fleeing, much increased fire rate, chance of defecting to the enemy fleet if this ship fled.

I don't know how much, if any, of this is viable through modding.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Awful Apocalypse: Friends Like These has been updated with 4 new empires, bringing the total to 45.

I also made a spreadsheet showing all the Ethics combinations that aren't included yet. Feel free to make whatever species you want but if you're stuck on Ethics, pick a combo that hasn't been done already. I hope to someday have at least one of each, even if they're a lovely combo!

Spreadsheet of missing ethics is here.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

it lets you keep the good edicts up pretty much permanently, which is difficult if you're using influence for literally anything else.

I assume it also applies to the Unity Edicts? With enough incoming Unity, you could probably keep all those going at the same time with Executive Vigor.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Strobe posted:

Aux slots should be afterburners on literally everything, because sublight speed is the only way to really increase strategic speed and your fleet moves at the speed of your slowest ship.

I did this, then switched to reactors on the faster ships as I needed more power for shields. Swarms and other up close ships should definitely have afterburners but the ships that stay back can make do without as long as they don't go slower than the slowest ship with them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I posted on the Paradox forums but I figured I'd repost here to see if anyone knows what the gently caress is going on.

I have a custom species that was submitted to me that won't show up in game no matter what I do.

-I copied their user_empire_designs text exactly and inserted it. Wouldn't show up in game.
-I created a new empire by hand that matched it exactly, and this one loads just fine in user_empire_designs.
--When I copy and paste the entry from user_empire_designs to prescripted_countries exactly, it doesn't show up in game.
---The copy in user_empire_designs does show up if I leave it there, even though the one in prescripted_countries doesn't.

There are 57 other custom empires in this mod and they all work fine. The only text differences between the files are the ship prefixes; "ELF" as compared to "ISS". I've tried it with both ship prefixes and it still doesn't show up.

Here are the relevant entries:

user_empire_designs.txt
code:
"Lords and Ladies"
={
    key="Lords and Ladies"
    ship_prefix="ELF"
    species={
        class="HUM"
        portrait="humanoid_05"
        name="Gentry"
        plural="Gentry"
        adjective="Gentry"
        species_bio="Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder. Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels. Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies. Elves are glamorous. They project glamour. Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment. Elves are terrific. They beget terror. The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning. No one ever said elves are nice. Elves are bad."
        name_list="HUMAN2"
        trait="trait_charismatic"
        trait="trait_talented"
        trait="trait_adaptive"
        trait="trait_decadent"
        trait="trait_wasteful"
    }
    name="Lords and Ladies"
    adjective="Wicked"
    authority="auth_dictatorial"
    government="gov_bandit_kingdom"
    planet_name="Fairyland"
    planet_class="pc_arctic"
    system_name="Dim"
    initializer=""
    graphical_culture="humanoid_01"
    city_graphical_culture="mammalian_01"
    empire_flag={
        icon={
            category="ornate"
            file="flag_ornate_12.dds"
        }
        background={
            category="backgrounds"
            file="vertical.dds"
        }
        colors={
            "burgundy"
            "burgundy"
            "null"
            "null"
        }
    }
    ruler={
        gender=female
        name="Luciana Aguera"
        portrait="humanoid_05_female_01"
        texture=0
        hair=9
        clothes=0
        ruler_title_female="Queen"
    }
    spawn_as_fallen=no
    ignore_portrait_duplication=no
    room="personality_fanatic_befrienders_room"
    spawn_enabled=yes
    ethic="ethic_authoritarian"
    ethic="ethic_militarist"
    ethic="ethic_materialist"
    civics={
        "civic_barbaric_despoilers"
        "civic_slaver_guilds"
    }
}
prescripted_countries mod file:
code:
"Lords and Ladies"
={
    key="Lords and Ladies"
    ship_prefix="ISS"
    species={
        class="HUM"
        portrait="humanoid_05"
        name="Gentry"
        plural="Gentry"
        adjective="Gentry"
        species_bio="Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder. Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels. Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies. Elves are glamorous. They project glamour. Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment. Elves are terrific. They beget terror. The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning. No one ever said elves are nice. Elves are bad."
        name_list="HUMAN2"
        trait="trait_charismatic"
        trait="trait_talented"
        trait="trait_adaptive"
        trait="trait_decadent"
        trait="trait_wasteful"
    }
    name="Lords and Ladies"
    adjective="Wicked"
    authority="auth_dictatorial"
    government="gov_bandit_kingdom"
    planet_name="Fairyland"
    planet_class="pc_arctic"
    system_name="Dim"
    initializer=""
    graphical_culture="humanoid_01"
    city_graphical_culture="mammalian_01"
    empire_flag={
        icon={
            category="ornate"
            file="flag_ornate_12.dds"
        }
        background={
            category="backgrounds"
            file="vertical.dds"
        }
        colors={
            "burgundy"
            "burgundy"
            "null"
            "null"
        }
    }
    ruler={
        gender=female
        name="Luciana Aguera"
        portrait="humanoid_05_female_01"
        texture=0
        hair=9
        clothes=0
        ruler_title_female="Queen"
    }
    spawn_as_fallen=no
    ignore_portrait_duplication=no
    room="personality_fanatic_befrienders_room"
    spawn_enabled=yes
    ethic="ethic_authoritarian"
    ethic="ethic_militarist"
    ethic="ethic_materialist"
    civics={
        "civic_barbaric_despoilers"
        "civic_slaver_guilds"
    }
}

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Reveilled posted:

I copied your prescripted countries entry into my own mod's country file and it worked just fine. Could it be there's an upper limit on the number of empires you can have in a single file?

If there is, I haven't hit it. I added a couple other species after that and they load just find. Incidentally, I found the error log:

code:
[14:00:48][select_empire_design_view.cpp:595]: Hiding invalid prescripted empire design 'Lords and Ladies':
[14:00:48][select_empire_design_view.cpp:599]:     Traits:
    The combined value of your chosen traits exceed the available Trait Points.
    You have chosen too many traits for your species.
    Government & Ethics:
    Selected Ethos is too expensive.
    Government Civics too expensive.
:psyduck:

Also, check your PMs.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nightgull posted:

Could've sworn I saw someone in here post a screenshot of a Crusader Kingdom government type that was something like Imperial / Warrior Culture / Nationalistic Zeal. But I can't get that name to appear. Was it a mod?

It was either a mod, or a grubbin from a previous patch. I added that species (Great Sylva Empire) to the modpack, and it wouldn't load. I recreated it by hand, and it was fine but would never come up as Crusader Kingdom.

Here is the post so maybe MShadowy could shed some light.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Despite having some ISSUES I went ahead and updated Awful Apocalypse: Friends Like These with a bonkers FIFTEEN new empires. Lords and Ladies currently will not load for reasons I cannot figure out so really its only 14 species but it's not like I'm charging you money here, c'mon.

As usual, if you have a custom species and want it thrown into a giant pack with no attribution, give me a screenshot and a pastebin of the info from your user_empire_designs.txt. If you're stuck on which Ethics to choose, consider a combo that hasn't been taken yet: Goon Species Ethics

The mod is fixed thanks to my idiocy and Reveilled's help. There was a duplicate listing within the text file that I didn't notice.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 4, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Anyone know of a mod that disables random empires? I want only the goon species empires to spawn but I don't want to set them to always spawn. I guess I could maintain two versions, one with always spawn and one without, if I needed to.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Not really, but you can achieve almost the same thing.

If you have more empires set to "always" spawn than there are available empires in the game, then the game will randomly choose between the "always" empires.

So if you have 45 goon species, set them all to "always," and tell the game to spawn 10 empires, then those 10 empires will be pulled randomly from the 45 goon species.

Yeah, I knew about that. I was hoping for another mod that disables it entirely as I want the goon species mod to be "enabled" instead of "always".

In other news, I made a Fanatic Materialist/Authoritarian species. Couldn't figure out what to do with it until I learned that Synths can be enslaved.

Voyager I on Discord posted:

creating sentient AIs just so you can properly enslave them is some spectacular cruelty.

"sure, the drones mine just as hard, but you show me one that can make a satisfactory display of despair".

"My food doesn't taste right if nobody suffered to make it"

:allears: This is absolutely my plan now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

3 DONG HORSE posted:

That worked perfectly. Thanks!

Hello, new phone wallpaper.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Meridian posted:

Thank you for letting me know. Will pick up the expansion when it goes on sale, my bag log is huge as it is.

I imagine the bag is pretty huge as well, if it holds a log.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did someone say 2.0.2?!

Featuring a staggering :supaburn:TWENTY:supaburn: new species and updated for 2.0.2.

Awful Apocalypse

As always, send me a PM, ping me on the Discord, or even just post it here (make sure you quote me so I can see it easier) if you want your garbage fire of a species added to the mod pack.

Aztec Space Gods
Corporation for Public Braincasting
Hesukar Swarm
Honorable 1v1
Industrial Workers of the Galaxy
Interstellar Void Company
Kingdom of the Chrysalis
Lumocom Interstellar Telecommunications
Memeworm Collective
Ogrim Clans
Pirak University of Blood
Qualicon Construction Hub
Society for the Advancement of Plants
SpiritBot Seekers
Spyran Empire of Beauty
Sybernian Regierung Government
Steel Kingdom of Barbaria
The End of Cruelty
The Watchful
United Good Doggy Union

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nordick posted:

You're doing the Lord's work, Joeslop.

However, you forgot the one I submitted via PM a while ago. For convenience's sake I'll just post it here so all can marvel at my mediocrity:

Taalgan New Order
The Taalgans first discovered FTL roughly around 1900. Before any ships were built, their already tumultuous society promptly erupted into a global war over claims of space territory. After the war had reduced their world to rubble, the Taalgans faced a long dark age of gradual rebuilding and serious collective introspection. In the launch ceremony of their first FTL craft, 300 years after the discovery of FTL technology, the newly crowned emperor Lyphoros did not give a lengthy speech. Instead, he merely played a video summary of all the wrongs their old world order had wrought. After the video ended, he uttered the words that immediately became the new nation's motto: "Right then, let's not do THAT again", and hit the launch button. Time will tell how long this motto actually endures the volatile Taalgan nature.

Pastebin of the user_ermpire_designs entry: https://pastebin.com/YDv9See0

:argh: I'll get them I the next batch, I like my numbers even.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Oh this game still exists huh? Well, have FIVE MORE species for the goon species mod, and it is updated to 2.1.0

Citizen Regime of Karatulas
Free Darenean Republic
Great Lorcanese Authority
Hadadiman High Kingdom
Zoroarsetrian Foundation

As always, feel free to submit more species to me for inclusion. Quote me in the thread or PM me. Also, this document shows which ethics combinations aren't present in the mod yet, so if you're stuck on what to make, take those into consideration!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chalks posted:

Hey Wiz, since you're around I was wondering what strength you expect players to be at when they unlock the L-Gate stuff? I had a couple of 5k fleets and was equivalent or stronger than all my neighbours when I activated it and I was surprised at how completely outmatched I was.

Fortunately I just reloaded a save but it feels like it would have been rather game ending in ironman.

I opened an L-gate with about 3k fleet strength. Those nanites were not kind.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has anyone done a break down of what civics and traits are good, bad, and traps? Some of them are obvious (more Unity, more minerals) but sometimes even those can be less than ideal when combined with other traits. If you take Syncretic or that slave one, for example, you probably don't need +minerals on your main species.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I did a 9-18 empire start with .5x hyperlane density. First species I find are Fanatic Purifiers, of course. Luckily, they didn't seem to be in any hurry to blob up so over the course of two wars I took all their stuff; that opened up the lower route for me to begin expanding heavily. It helps that the system next to my home planet has 8 Physics/Social and 12 Engineering research built in. I haven't even researched the research buildings yet.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's going on with this solitary system?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You feelin' alright there, Worm?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

iospace posted:

Delayed, but why did you tell it no.

The worm loves you.

The Worm is a false prophet.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I feel like I've asked this before and forgotten; is there a mod or similar that would make the game load ONLY prescripted empires, without creating new random ones in a game? I know I can set all the species in Familiar Faces to always load but I don't really want to do that if I don't have to. I could maintain two versions of the mod I guess but that seems silly if there's an easier way.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Let me tell you all the interesting things about my biology.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hello friends! It has been a while since I played this game, and probably just as long since I updated the Goon Species mod! Which means I bring good news: THE MOD IS UPDATED!

Now featuring 90 gut-busting personally handcrafted (mostly by other people) species that you can have injected into your game to ruin everything. Some of the "required" other mods haven't quite been updated yet. If they update and break something in this mod, I'll do my best to fix it when I learn about it.

As always, I'm well open to submissions. Send me a PM here, on steam (Admiral Joeslop) or on the dead Discord listed in the OP. If you don't know what info you need to send me to put in your custom species, I can walk you through it. If you're stuck on inspiration, take a look HERE to see which unique Ethics combinations the mod is missing. Of course, if the super special species you created is already represented on that spreadsheet, who gives a gently caress, send it anyway!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BlondRobin posted:

...Do I seriously have to spend $4 on the Nova Edition upgrade to get a single portrait for this pack to work??

You sure don't. Any species that requires a DLC or that Name List mod just won't show up at all in game. As far as I can tell, if you don't have the color/flag/emblem mods, the species either won't show up or will default to a generic.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Just popping in for a quick update on the species pack; due to popular demand of one Steam user, I've made a version that will ALWAYS spawn the species from the pack into your game. As there are 90 dumbshit species here, you will probably never have a game with random empires, barring Fallen Empires maybe?

ALWAYS AND FOREVER SPAWNING
RANDOM SPAWNS HERE

Thanks and...happy hunting?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

darnon posted:

OvervUI. It does break if you use the mod that makes the left side collapsed icons bigger and supposedly also breaks if you have any mods that add extra strategic resources.

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

After hours of loving around with it, I finally managed to get the Awful Friends species pack updated to version 2.4 and it probably works!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1314848686

I haven't posted here or played the game in a while so I'm sure I've missed plenty of cool goon-created species. With that in mind, feel free to PM me here, Steam (joeslop) or on Discord (Admiral Joeslop#5658) if you want to submit a species for the pack.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fpNxY4hMCimaOhMOrgDxAyOnsJVbOhkVxGMzfz6JjgE/edit#gid=0 - This is a link to the unique ethics and species that are in the pack; if you're going to create something from scratch and want to fill in one of those unique combinations that are missing, great! If you already have a species that's represented, also great!