Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I got uplifted cockroaches as refugees :3:

e: speaking of uplifting, I colonized a planet in the same system as space-age primitives. What happens when (if) they get to space? Assuming I don't care to purge them, will I lose that colony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Hey how the hell rear end do you play machine empires without being foreverially out of minerals and energy and not loving it

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

mnemonic horror

what

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

There totally needs to be a Lavos-type leviathan that can reproduce by burrowing into planets and destroying them like a planet cracker as its spawn head to new planets to grow and continue the cycle.

Or maybe an ancient shroud entity can be unsealed if you crack the wrong planet.

Or as part of the different wincons patch, add a genetic ascension wincon where your race becomes planetary consciousnesses.

Then have either a leviathan or a crisis based on destroyed worlds where whole planets up and start coming for your poo poo

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Lum_ posted:

e;fb

(but here's the video, required viewing for all rogue servitor playthroughs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IFNKYmLa8)

literally the first robutt race I made

then I realized the micro requirements for robots and then did not play them anymore

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Sod OFF. I don't WANT to be that kind of apathetic evil dystopian robot, I want to be Actually GOOD. It's as bad a meme as the constant 'kill all xenos' bit.

:stonk:

you...you ok there, buddy?

need some ice cream or something?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Bloodly posted:

You don't know how sick and tired I am of that video. It always comes up, without fail. It has gone from 'cool' to 'OK' to 'that's enough' to 'gently caress you and gently caress your meme' People basically instantly jumped on the potential dystopia, and NEVER STOP. EVER.

welcome to the internet?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Conskill posted:

At the point where we're contemplating a ringworld as a meaningful engineering challenge we might as well equip it with artificial gravity generators built out of hereto unknown materials of seemingly magical powers. I donno, we can use the word quantum or something, that always makes stuff better.

Yeah I mean if you're scouring a solar system for usable materials, the implication is that you've got FTL and some manner of unobtanium, so you're probably rocking fake gravity as well to obviate the need for spin gravity

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Chalks posted:

Really happy about piracy being reworked from a clunky way to try to force contiguous borders to something that makes real sense.

I mean I enjoy the concept of "your border regions are lawless and more susceptible to pirates" and hope that some fashion of that stays in the game. I get that trade routes are the focus but I also like the ideas of pirates raiding (if not destroying) your mining outposts and building bases with everything that they steal

e: tbh I'd be totally down for a piracy DLC that fleshed out pirates immensely and maybe made them become marauders

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Truga posted:

Rename them cravers while at it? :v:

you spelled Zuul wrong

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Chalks posted:

The core mechanic is using a network of systems to obtain some sort of resource. Trade is just one way of justifying the mechanic but there are plenty of ways gestalts could do the same.

Agreed. Maybe give them a penalty to trade income to represent the lack of consumerist demand, but you can still call a trade route an "overstock pipeline" or something and have it represent surplus resources that are being routed to areas of higher demand, and the {{resources}} you recieve from it are requisitioning efficiencies or somesuch nonsense.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

I'll make some new events, but they will all be CK2 references.

You joke, but seriously do this

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Nessus posted:

You should be able to click off a few different types of victory and those track your score based on different criteria. A galactic conqueror might want to be scored based on their maximum supply of territory, a tall pacifist empire might want to be scored on either their maximum Pops @ maximum happiness or at how many of their people/planets survive the end game fun party.

you've got a bunch of words in this post but all I'm really reading is "victory slider"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Splicer posted:

Dat tech tree :swoon:

Willing recruits as a consumable resource would be pretty cool. Then the AI ship tech could reduce a ships required manpower rather than just being another +numbers, giving you a real strong incentive to use it.

Plus, interesting balance factor for gestalts (you are only limited by the number of shipdrones you can produce)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Wiz posted:

Nah. Choices are good.

:emptyquote:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ascendency trees instead of perks with number of perk requirements imo

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Could be neat to make it a sort of hivemind sub-civic - are you a centralized or decentralized hivemind?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

Stellaris is a science fiction sandbox. If you want it to fit a particular level of science fiction optimism/pessimism, make a shitload of empires that fit what you want and don't let randos spawn. Rehashing this conversation for the umpteenth time is super unnecessary because it's always the same people having it.

I'm continually amazed that people continue to engage Ham "Every game is XCom" Sandwiches in good faith debate

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

hype train status: lacking brakes

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

no u

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Staltran posted:

So there was an obvious counter, and all you had to do was build it (probably involving dozens of clicks), gather it, and assault? I.e. a bunch of tedious micro with almost zero thought involved? Exciting!

"interacting with the game" == "tedious micro" continues to be the worst take.

"Ugh another empire attacked me so I had to build a fleet (probably involving dozens of clicks), gather it, and move it to their fleet (even more clicks?!??) so they would shoot at each other. What tedious micro!!1!!!!11!!"

I get that ground combat is boring, but there are solutions to this beyond just reducing the amount you actually get to engage with the game. I'm personally in favour of giving troop transport capabilities to all navy ships (optionally configurable with troop transport modules), having fleets interact with invasions beyond the "nuke it all to the ground" phase, and moderately deepening the planetary siege game.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

they said exceptional quality not quantity :v:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Been faffing about with the new stuff a bit today and despite having a pretty good handle on how all the systems work together, I have no idea what I should be prioritising at any given moment on my planets. It seems like I'm just making a snap decision based on my current empire needs every time an unemployed pop comes up, and when in doubt building a mining/generator district.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Is there a good basic strategy for "what the gently caress do I build on my planets"?

I've been sorta flailing at the whole system and I've resolved some basic stuff I read in the thread (I missed a lot of the directly-post-patch advice) down to a basic priority system

caveat: I spend a lot of time in the early game and have never actually completed a game :sun:

1a) temple if I'm spiritualist
1b) gene clinic if not
2a) whatever district type the planet has the most of
2b) if the districts are balanced, the district for the resource my empire is currently lowest on
2c) housing district if there's overpopulation and no unemployment
3) amenities building if I'm low
4) an efficiency building (mineral processor, energy grid, etc) if the planet is district specialized
5) ????????????????????

This is completely replaced on my home planet, which gets
1) civilian industries if I'm negative on consumer goods
2) whichever district will fill a resource hole
3) research?????? I guess??????? probably not because yep I'm negative on consumer goods again

Obviously I'm suffering here from a lack of midgame experience, but at the same time I'd like to have a better idea of the rough track I should be taking so I'm not just screwing over future me and probably triggering another restart.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Finally decided that I probably should stop playing ironman when I'm trying to learn this game, and also stop trying to do gimmicks when I'm trying to learn this game, and also just generally make things easier on myself when I'm just trying to learn this drat game, and so I started a fan eagle militarist run with all my stuff devoted to "make claims cheap as poo poo". I definitely took too long to get into my first war, but it went pretty well and I swear to god it only took me like 1k influence to claim my entire neighbour. Truce is up soon, so I'll be able to flatten them and make my way through to the other three authoritarian states and link up with my fan eagle xenophile buddy who's been beset on all sides by Enemies of Freedom.

Also I got the juvenile amoeba event and now it's a self-imposed lose condition if she dies :kimchi:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Alctel posted:

So the whole 'thanks for giving me custodian powers oops we are an empire now' is basically Doing A Star War, right?

this is literally Star War: The Expansion

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Icon for with thunderous applause is some quality av material

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Jesus christ thank you.

The tutorial is hot garbage at explaining this, I'm midgame in my first playthrough in a long-rear end time and I'm just sorta flailing at the planet management screen and hoping for good numbers, and then every once in a while my food drops to -84 for no discernable reason.

Anyone have some references for newbie traps? Playing suboptimally, so I don't care about 10% modifiers to some bullshit, I'm thinking more like "building this is literally useless/a straight-up downgrade"

Also is there a good reference on how to design ships? I feel like I read somewhere "half lasers/half bullets, half shields/half armour on everything" but I'm not sure what sections to be using/if I should care about missiles/pd, etc

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Splicer posted:

Build ships with anti shield guns, and swap them out for anti shield + anti hull weapons* as you research them.
Build ships with anti armour guns, and swap them out for anti armour + anti hull weapons* as you research them.
Mix them in a fleet, you want more anti armour than anti shield.
You want the largest guns you have on your back line and small + medium guns on your skirmish line. Your back line is the biggest ship class you own and your skirmish line is a mix of destroyers and corvettes to taste.

Okay so a hypothetical fleet for me, midgame with cruisers unlocked, might be:

2:1
art/art/broadside plasma cruisers
art/art/broadside mass driver (eventually kinetic battery) cruisers

smattering of
picket/picket destroyers

2:1, I assume equal fleet points to cruisers?
interceptor laser corvettes
interceptor mass driver (eventually autocannon) corvettes

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Dumb question: I invaded my neighbour and conquered all their 40% habitability planets and now they're just full of unemployed slaves and I'm not sure how to get people into higher-strata jobs there, what do?