Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

goon rookersh fired up his first game of stellaris

14 hours later, he's still in there, I dunno if he went afk at any point or if he's still battling slaving despots and federationed hiveminds, he might have gazed too far into the abyss...

also
fear me

That 14 hours felt like maybe 3. The gently caress happened to my entire Saturday. I grabbed lunch at a certain point because I started to starve, and left the game running for maybe 20 minutes while I did but ahhh.

My galaxy is hosed. I have 4! Hive Minds that basically run the entire northern half, and they are all Defensive Allies. Everyone on the south end is a loving mess of various cultures that are not ready for the Hive Mind menace. Including this dick rear end Slaving Despots that live right next to me. Thankfully I'm slowly but surely uniting the south into my new Federation which will hopefully help against future incursions.

Got lucky, and my space samurai blue bird friends that spawned next to me had a government change right as I started building into them and became Fanatical Egalitarians who were super down to join my new Federation.

Kinda worried about the L Gate mystery stuff. Like I've so far seen the First League and Old Gods as my two big story moments for this run, and it looks like that'll be it with my current rate of expansion/turning to focus on the actual galactic map. And I'd guess that if I played the game the next 5-10 times I'd probably not see the First League/Old Gods again because there are so many anomalies/story chains now. But every game going forward will still have the L Gate. Maybe it'll get better with future story packs, and they can do the Battle Brothers thing of "we will choose a random BIG story ending crescendo for your galaxy." so sometimes it'll pull the L Gate, sometimes it'll pull the Reapers, sometimes it'll pull actual God showing up.

Also I get why tiles have to go, but gotta say I do appreciate them for a singular reason. I've tried to get into CK2 hundreds of times because it seems like it's always been something that'd be my jam, and I think Stellaris is really helpful at being the gateway drug to CK2 as it's got a lot of the same features/designs around it. I loaded up a CK2 game today to dink around in it and test this, and yeah I now know how to play CK2, something I spent years looking at guides to try and figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Will I be able to do the L Gate event if it's in my Federated Territory? My bird bros have a L Gate in their lands, and we are Federated/+350/Their people make up a solid 20-30% of my Empire at this point.

They should be cool with me doing science experiments in their backyard, yeah?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, can you not do both psionics and genetics? I was going to do that because a lot of my pops are kinda garbo.

They are PEOPLE Cap.

I'm going hard into Psionics and I at least got the first tech that unlocked Genetics.

Also oh man my L Gate event is going so insane. I hope to post more about it when I get home from work.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I wish there was an alt Flesh > Metal Ascension for Robo Empires that let you Metal > Flesh.

Like yeah, ascension through robot bodies. Common Sci Fi trope.

But equally common is normal robots gaining sentience and wanting to be more like biologics. Could allow for some interesting endgame stories.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So nearing the end of my first playthrough.

- Never had a real midgame crisis. I had 3 separate Marauder Empires but they all seemed to bug out? I hired one twice in a row on accident and it let me, which I assumed meant two fleets. Nope, after that point any time anyone would hire them they'd just instantly retreat. When we finally cleared them out, we got a "Two huge fleets are coming for you!" message that went nowhere, as no fleets showed. The other two Marauder Empires basically had the same thing go down. Never saw or heard from a Khan.

- Never had a real endgame crisis. I opened the L Gates well past midgame with a pretty kitted out little fleet ( my fleet strength was 30k, my Fed fleet strength was 50k. ). Just finishing that event up now, my average fleet strength is 50k, my Fed fleet strength is 120k. I'm getting most/all of the endgame techs and most of my stuff is r5 now. Starting to eyeball the Fallen Empire near me as it's no longer Overwhelming and I think I could beat it with the Federation Fleets.

Had a lot of fun, going to go back after I finish this game up, but I get the feeling something might be bugged with mid/endgame event triggers, since I had it set to default values.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
And my game bugged out and broke right at the end.

Contingency showed up. Two in the North Galaxy, next to my semi friends the religious nuts and another right in the middle of the Hive Mind circle jerk.

I got two in the south. One in my stronger allies lands, and one next to the Enigmatic Fortress in a semi no mans land ( rip Enigmatic Fortress I was going to check you out after I beat the event. ).

My galaxy is ready for it. Most fleets are now 80k-120k, most of us have r5+ stuff. Figured this would be a tough fight but not a brutal one. Most of the galaxy is on the precipice of joining my Federation.

Except not a single AI will recognize the Contingency. None of them will send a single fleet to fight the Contingency fighting in their territory. Two Empires were in the middle of a war, they didn't break it up at all, even though both has Contingency within their lands. I have a Survey up so I can see everything, and I'm seeing tons of 150k-200k fleets just sitting in the middle of nowhere, not going to engage with the Contingency forces.

But whatever. At least I have my Federation. And thankfully my ally who is President seems to at least understand this is a problem. We can knock off the two Contingency bases down here then I guess deal with the North later. Together our Federation Fleets number about 300k, and the two Machine Worlds in our area are only 100k built. I have Guardian of the Galaxy, we rip up 2-3 Contingency fleets on the way to the Machine World.

Then noooope. Suddenly the allied fleets stop. They are all set to follow the core Federation Fleet, and it's suddenly got the command "heading to Khell.". I've checked every single area on my map, there is not a single Khell. Khell does not exist in my galaxy. But boy howdy is my Federation stuck trying to go to Khell. So I have to sit here and watch my galaxy die because the AI just crapped out at the end and stopped working across the board.

Oh, and the other AI still don't recognize the threat at all. Our northern Slaver neighbors declared war on us in the middle of all of this. The Fallen Empire that's all about Holy Sites declared war on us again. It's great.

I'm basically just building colony ships and sending them into the cleared L Sector and giving up the core galaxy.

Oh other bug, that I'm abusing. The Contingency can't use L Gates. Or don't recognize them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Ok, I'm dropping this match. My goal for the whole game was to recruit these last 2-3 groups into my Fed, and the fact they got snatched right at the end because of a stupid Fallen Empire getting pissy about a Gaia World/them both being in a war as the Contingency showed up just really annoys me. I was hoping to do a last defense scenario thing where I built a colony ship of every race and saved them in my core lands while the Contingency ravaged the galaxy, only to save it at the end and then reseed everything, but according to Invictus/how well the AI is doing in my game, they'll probably win without me.

So basically I have nothing really to keep working for in this game.

Now I'm planning for game #2. I really want to do Space Rome. We have an Emperor and his will is truth. Our enemies will be conquered and turned into vassals that will be forced to assist us in our campaigns/growth. But ultimately all can attain the prized goal of being citizens with full rights, they just must first serve in the space Legions. Thinking like Authoritarian/Xenophile/Militarist all at 1 point or so. Generally want to lean into the Space Rome feel, so your average Emperor will be ok, some Emperors will be genuinely benevolent and good for the Empire, and some are just real shitters.

It seems like I can set this through grabbing the Citizen Service perk? But it also seems like Citizen Service is only allowed for Democratic/Oligarchic.

Kinda wondering if this is possible.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 28, 2018

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So question.

If I start as a Oligarchy with Civil Service, then switch to Empire will I be forced to repick/lose Civil Service. As it's Requirements will no longer be met.

I'm really stuck on an Imperial Empire where newly conquered aliens start as slaves but through service can gain citizenship ( not voting rights obviously, but at least rights. ). Kinda baffled I can't seem to do this.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah, any civic whose requirements are no longer met will go inactive until you either meet the requirements again or reform out of it. The Citizen Service civic doesn't actually do anything with citizenship though, it's just fluff. You can edit species rights in any form of government and change from slavery to residency or whatever you want regardless of your form of government.

Oh! Huh.

So how would I go about setting it.

I can't check at work, but is there basically a tab in the rights screen that lets me set people as slaves, but also gives then full rights if they serve?

My ideal is.

- Core species is always full citizenship.

- Set as Xenophile/Militaristic/Authoritarian. Any species that migrate naturally get full citizenship ( because they chose to join our great Empire and obviously already believe in our cause. ).

- Any species we annex/conquer will be enslaved. However if they serve in the military they will gain full freedom. No exceptions here, even Weak can serve.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

I think it depends on what he means by friendly.

If he's saying the AI is giving too many gifts, then sure that's something that should probably be tweaked.

But boy howdy I just did my first game and it felt very sensible. Other Egalitarian empires and I got along very well. Empires that practiced Xenophile diplomacy and I could generally agree on a few things, and had some good trade deals going. I had ok friendships with a few Materialists/Militarists who also leaned Egalitarian/Xenophile which eventually lead to a pretty solid Grand Alliance of sorts ( that theoretically would have ended with a Victory/Crisis beat had it not bugged out and my endgame just completely broke. ). Meanwhile I still struggled with a few Spiritualist Empires even though I was Spiritualist, and I still had issues with Slavers/Empires.

I think the only bit of weirdness I had in the game was our Materialist/Egalitarian Fed buddy managed to invite both the Spiritualist Empire that really hated me and the Inward Perfection Empire that liked nobody into Federation Associate status, which eventually brought both up to pretty friendly levels with the rest of us. That probably shouldn't have happened.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What are you all doing with all these Starbases? Outposts are free, so it's only you upgrading them that makes them cost a Starbase point.

Unless you are using them to Anchorage spam, but at that point just grab the +80, get more vassals, or start a Fed to have a Fed fleet.

Even on my most open map with multiple paths of egress I still only ever had like 14/16 Starbases.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think my problem with nothing but trading post/anchorage spam is it's just so boring.

Like I'd hope Wiz goal for the game isn't for people to have 30 Starbases that all have 8 Trading Hubs/8 Anchorages just to get enough Fleet Capacity/Energy to play. At that point you might as well drop Starbase building capacity to 4 and to boost the effect of Trading Hubs/Anchorages so the player has to make smarter choices about what they build within the Starbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, as much as I'm liking the new tile system/economy stuff for the new economy expansion, I was kinda hoping the diplomacy system was going to be the next big expansion.

Cause boy, Federations suck, the AI makes weird choices constantly, I constantly feel locked by weird penalties diplomatically, and it just needs a huge overhaul badly.

At least maybe, hopefully Wiz will change the fleet cap stuff? Cause having the core system just be "yeah you are supposed to build nonstop Starports and put nothing but Anchorages in them, duh." is the most laffo bad design thing in this game.