Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Fanatic Purifiers + Post Apocalyptic is a fantastic combination. Armageddon bombardment takes awhile to uncolonize the planet, but instant habitable tomb world for you once you finish. Also empires seem to be hesitant to finish connections with you since that will give you CBs, so you can avoid expanding to their borders until you want to declare war.

Edit: The fleet manager is insanely buggy right now. Mine keeps bugging out and declaring that all of my fleets are empty and need to be completely reinforced, thus rendering it useless because I can't use the reinforce button without creating a million fleets and going over naval capacity. Also half the time it splits up the build queue very sensibly, and the other half it sends it all to a single shipyard station.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Note that the fleet will display zero ships out of whichever amount you have it set to if they're outdated. And if you put the auto-update auto-design ships into your fleets they'll be outdated a lot. It still shouldn't let you actually reinforce those "missing" ships (at least it doesn't let me), but it will display like they're gone, even though they're perfectly happy existing. The moment you retrofit they'll be accounted for again.

Yes pretty sure this is where the bug kept kicking in for me. I was using auto design so whenever they needed updating it would zero them out and add them to the reinforcement queue. Which if you clicked would recreate the entire fleet, except with no open template each ship creates it's own fleet. And if you try to cancel the build order, it adds each canceled ship to the reinforcement queue too. Lesson learned to not use auto design yet I suppose.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Koorisch posted:

Christ, I hate trying to get a specific type of scientist, I really wish they just made it so you could pick a few of the expertise types of scientist you want instead of this random "give me 200 credits and I'll find someone random" crap, I just spend 6k energy trying to get one with Computing and I got like 2 Physics researchers out of 30.

It's like gambling but in a really unfun and dumb way.

This mod sounds like what you are looking for. It costs more energy to get more advanced/powerful traits for leaders, but gives you the option to choose any leader trait you want. It's quite nice.

Though yeah I agree, the entire leader system is just kind of sad at the moment. It could use really use a revamp.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I love the patch and the new economy, but yeah I have to agree with a lot of the stuff said so far.

1. With everything requiring so much more micromanagement, tying auto-control/building to sectors that you can't control is ridiculous. It'd be a lot better as a per planet option and possibly just keep sectors as a separate thing entirely. Or get rid of them, point is I shouldn't be limited in what I want to control/handle by something that I can't control.

2. I still miss the message settings from the previous games. If I could get a message whenever a planets pop level matches the amount of jobs available it'd cut down a lot of the tedium, or having actually useful popups regarding unemployment, crime, etc instead of having to wade through diplomacy messages I don't care about. Sitting there staring at the outliner isn't fun or good for my eyes. Same for planet decisions, I want to know when they expire (actually I'd be happier if those were all toggles with upkeep in the first place).

3. Agreed that the pacing needs work, the advanced buildings being available so much earlier than you can reasonably get resources for them etc. The early game is a constant chain of building districts/buildings as needed and you don't really get the resources/freedom to do fun/specialized stuff with the system until around midgame anyway. It definitely feels like you just have far too little leeway on resources, which I mean it's fun and engaging still but it feels like every empire start will be 100% identical. Especially with pop growth being as slow as it is and robots being so slow as well. I've played several games with every pop growth modifier possible, and it feels more like it brings it up to "almost reasonable" rather than that I'm actually gaining an advantage or that the pops are growing fast.

4. Alloys are pretty crazy yeah. This is in part due to the tightrope balancing, it's really hard to find a good time to build/expand alloy factories when you already have to juggle food/minerals/energy/consumer goods/amenities/housing.

5. The pop demotion time limit is very appropriate, but I don't know if it actually makes for good gameplay. I'm all for Vicky 3, but on the level this game operates on it's just counter intuitive and annoying.

6. Interface needs improvement in general. Get rid of Empire Systems/Empire colonies in the top bar, if you're already fighting for space then those two don't make any sense to include. What do they give you that you need on a glance that Empire Size and Empire Population don't? For that matter, make the Empire Population tooltip be about pops per planet. If I want to know the breakdown per species i'd just use the demographics tab. Actually you could do pop per planet and jobs per planet, there's plenty of room for both in that tooltip.

7. The economy is complex enough now that there absolutely needs to be a ledger where I can get more information about where my resources are going than "Jobs" or "Buildings"

Despite all that though, the patch is real fun and i'm excited to see how they'll improve the systems going forward.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah the aggressive claiming was a nice surprise. I encountered a new empire, went to snatch a system to block them off and was really surprised when they beat me to it.

Also need a slider for maximum possible neighboring xenophobe empires.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I wouldn't mind if they just changed the whole concept. Right now research is completely divorced from your empire. Say you get a pool of scientists based on your jobs(and a base one with capitals), the scientists invest in tech pools (either specific techs or branches based on the current scientist traits that unlocks techs that you can spend research mana finishing) based on traits/ethics etc. Give a base pool that allows you invest in specific tech pools that you want in addition to your scientists. That way you can still influence to get whatever specific techs you want but a militarist empire will by default excel in weapons and such.

Granted I wouldn't mind seeing the tech tree rebalanced completely too. Military tech and civilian tech being completely seperate just seems a bit divorced from how actual technology works. Researching better power plants for ships should lead to improving energy farming, better guns should lead to better mining, better armor should either come from or lead to better alloy making. The tech tree is kind of boring as is because it's all just standalone small bonuses and chains of slightly better iterations, without any visible connections or way to see how it's influencing your empire.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah I was excited but that Q&A makes it sounds like there's not going to be any real meaningful changes, just more buttons and flavor. Which is neat and all, but it isn't going to make the game as a whole any more fun.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Aethernet posted:

I suspect the average age of this thread is high enough that most of us are still suffering PTSD from the launch of both MOO3 and SOTS2. Stellaris is at least a 4X that doesn't make me want to kill all humans.

You sure? Because starting up a Determined Exterminator game with all the other empires being human actually sounds really fun.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly it's pretty disappointing that despite creating favors and diplomatic weight and all that to allow you to influence other empire's votes, federations themselves remain a black box. Not only can you not use favors or any other way to influence other federation member's votes, you can't even see why they would vote a certain way. Trying to invite other empires to your federation is a crapshoot where you can't tell why no one wants it and when trying to change laws the only modifiers Ive seen are the base -50 and a Wants Federation Development for +100 which is useless information. As far as I can tell the only way to get anything done as a federation is to get the rule that makes votes by diplomatic weight and brute force everything, which ruins the roleplaying aspects that seem to be what most of the new federation mechanics are actually useful for. And federation xp being limited solely by cohesion seems like another missed opportunity where you lock fun behind filling a bar instead of anything dynamic or interesting.

The origins and galactic community are fun enough, but overall i'd say this expansion is an easy one to pass over.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1255815934163529730

So at 89 cohesion you have a -27.75 penalty to acceptance, and then at 90 it flips right to +22.5? Uh does that seem... weird to anyone else?

I think it's two separate things? Cohesion has a direct modifier that goes from -25 to +25 as you increase it for every vote, and then centralization specifically has a -50 penalty unless you hit 90 cohesion. If i'm reading it right.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

why do people complain about armies so much? yeah, they're a bit underdeveloped mechanics-wise but churning out a pile of armies is easy unless you're only running a single planet empire. Just queue up 5 or so armies on each planet within a relatively close location if possible so they all build simultaneously, select them all, then send them to a specific location and click merge fleets(or if you're at jump drive level, just hop them together next to a friendly planet, land on it, then embark all to merge and refresh the jump drive automatically). they'll group up and then you can swarm them onto a given planet(slap a Butcher general on them for extra damage, the devastation modifier is a joke), which shouldn't be able to withstand much besides FE planets. And by the time you're landing on FE planets, you should be able to churn out 4-5k army strength within a half year or so ingame, if you've not got that sitting around already.

I mean yeah, that's the point. It's a really boring mechanic that requires no thought, just clicks.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the issue with land combat is it feels very micromanage-y without really having any benefit for that micromanagement. With ship designs you can technically tailor your weapons/defenses to counter the designs your opponents are using (although this is rarely worth the trouble) or create specialized ships to play specific roles within a fleet that will synergize together. With armies your only real choices are whether to train up the bigger troops that take longer to build or the quick cheap ones, and since you're usually always doing this without any time pressure, there's no reason to ever build anything but the biggest most expensive troops you have because even the most expensive land unit is still dirt cheap relative to anything else in the game.

It kind of comes down to if I'm leading a big space empire, I really shouldn't be personally directing armies. I should just be pointing to planets and going "send the troops here" and then the generals will manage the details.

Yeah just make some kind of invasion planner where you assign troops (a pool based on pops/traits, buildings, perks etc) and fleets, set bombardment stance/troop stance (restrained, looting, xenomorphs etc) and it all happens automatically. Then dramatically up the number of invasion events (with cool ones like losing control of xenomorphs and having them infest the planet or randomly awakening an undiscovered precursor artifact).

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Black Pants posted:

!?!?!?!?!?!?!

From the dev responses it's unlocked after researching Sapient AI. If it's QoL, why hide it behind tech?! Same as with auto-explore.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Stellaris 3.0: Emperor Dick loves democracy

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I do like a lot of the free patch features and Espionage is at least not annoying even if it is not well tuned. First contacts are cool, but there doesn't seem to be -that- big of a variety and it's really disappointing when the other empire finishes it first since you don't get many counter events from them.

As far as the actual paid expansion features...The Galactic Custodian/Empire stuff is pretty typical, almost purely flavor that's never quite useful because you'll have won by the time you get it. It gives you a lot of tools for the galactic community and stuff, but it's a real, real long path to get there with all the cooldowns (and you don't get the tools to reduce those until you actually get Custodian/Council). And actually being Custodian to deal with a crisis doesn't really give you benefits right away, you have to spend yet more sessions passing stuff to get the material benefits out of it.

The Become the Crisis stuff is unique because you can get it early on and it gives you material benefits before you win the game and encourages you to follow that specific path. But the bonuses are mostly just flat numbers and there's literally 0 flavor in the path. It's like 4 bits of event text that don't really go into much detail and there's like...no consequences save for if the galactic community manages to get together and declare you a crisis.

I keep buying into the expansions because the features sound so cool, but ultimately this is a really build your own fun game and I'm not terribly good at that. Honestly I have to wonder if they've been having a lot of trouble getting writers because outside of release and like the first few expansions there's been very few new events and events (and flavor in general) are the biggest opportunity in the game.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

Gigastructures is one of the mods I point to as an example of excessive feature bloat. Plus you're never going to see like 80% of the content it adds simply due to how long it takes to reach the required tech level.

NSC used to be the same but it actually underwent a pretty significant pruning a while back.

The funny thing is that they made a big fancy UI only used for changing the settings, meanwhile the actual megastructure build UI is this huge unwieldy list that barely describes what each one does and rarely gives you the details on it's full effects. Plus having like..5 ascension perks for it all.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Familiarity breeds contempt? Or just we're so close to it for so long we see the flaws close up? Somewhere around those two phrases. We wish for 'better'. Or at least less problems.

My opinion is that events/unique ethos/ascension paths give the game a lot of leg to start, just once you exhaust those then all that's left is the gameplay which doesn't quite hold up. Once all the mystery is gone it loses it's charm.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Splicer posted:

My idea would be that you have a bombardment module on each ship, like extra munitions, troops, bioweapons etc. that affect the planet damage, army damage, and pop kill chance. So instead of army damage swap out for a bonus to invasion rolls, and special modules like xenomorphs also carry chances of rolling weird stuff.

Rip off the envoy system and have special corps or something that you can attach to fleets so you get portraits of your genetic superbeings/xenomorphs/godzilla troops.

Actually still confused on what they intended with envoys, like they're distinct entities that can pass away but they don't have traits or anything to differentiate from each other.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The dev diary screenshot shows that you start with 2 Ancient Clone Vats on your homeworld. It also shows the limit of 5 as an Empire limit. So presumably you can either stack all 5 on your homeworld for maximum single planet growth, or spread them out across a maximum of 5 planets. And then you'd have to rely on other species to colonize further.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I absolutely love the idea of edits that only effect systems on your road network and also getting bonuses for connecting subjects capitals to your own through it. But also building roads/railroads is my favorite part of any paradox game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Single biome/industry worlds are a sci-fi staple, it'd be weird to nix it for realism when it wouldn't be fun or adhering to the genre to do so (and Stellaris isn't intended to be realistic anyway). If anything there should be more crazy/weird unrealistic sci-fi nonsense.