Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Quinton posted:

Are the negative impacts on research and unity from outposts and planets accounted for somewhere in the UI?

For energy and minerals I can see balance sheets that show what's eating them up, but I'm not finding a way to see how research and unity are impacted.

If you open the unity screen and hover over the unity on the left side of the bar, you get a breakdown. For research hover over each numerical amount (ie the 0/500 value on the right).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Oh man there should be a fallen empire that demands pretty borders.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Aethernet posted:

Reducing Executive Vigour down to 50% was necessary, as it was way too good especially if you picked up Droning Optimisations early. Still a good perk though. By comparison, +4 starbases looks a bit weak, except for REALLY tall empires.

I'm of the opposite mind, tall empires have plenty of static sources of +starbases, and with less territory you'll have less border systems. A wide empire is more likely to have more border systems and also needs more fleets since you can't reinforce as easily, and they'll be slower to unlock those extra ones.

Agreed that executive vigour is still amazing. Before I could run all of them all the time, now it'll just be most of them all the time.

I did find that a build of 'inward perfection'+'agrarian ideal' followed by taking adaptability as your first tradition is really strong. You start with a large bonus to unity gain, and as soon as you finish off adaptability your farms produce minerals, food, and unity. This lets you build food tiles on every food or mineral tile with minimal mineral loss, and you get double bonus from your capital building bonus. With 4 planets growing pops I was still at something like +2 progress/month.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Doesn't it also give you +command cap too? But yea, getting that means you instantly don't need +cap slots on your starbases, and can probably go from 1 fleet to 2 fleets as soon as you have minerals to build it.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Looks like the latest beta patch notes say they've fixed the unity costs on system/planet bugs.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So question, as a Hive Mind Devouring Swarm is there anything to dump energy into? Instead of energy edicts you have food edicts, and you can't communicate with the extra station guys to dump it there either.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Spiritualist is the easiest way to go psionic.

The best way to be able to colonize every planet type would be robots, but a close second is using the gene mod tech that lets you change your race's preferred environs. That way you can have full habitability on every biome.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I want to start a new game as Spiritualist again because I want to do something familiar that was fun, but improve it, hence sticking with Spiritualist in one form. I'm just not sure on:
1.) What I would lose by going from Fanatic Spiritualist to basic Spiritualist to pick up Xenophile
2.) What I would lose by dropping Egalitarian to take Xenophile
3.) How gene modding works/how much of a headache it is

My factions in my last game essentially prevented me from having robots at all, which was a slight disappointment, but the bonuses from being Psionic were nice and having a ton of Unity income was cool.

The only thing you lose from Fanatic Spiritualist to basic is the +10% unity. There might be some stuff here and there, and your factions aren't as aligned to spirituality, but nothing major. I don't really play egalitarians so I'm not sure what all will poof from that option.

Gene modding is basically "add species template" followed by "spend society research for X months". You can select it on a per-planet basis, so it isn't too much of a headache these days. See: https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Population_modification

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Hrmm, it seems that as a devouring swarm, invading a planet with pre-sentients doesn't give me food for eating them. Sad.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So not sure if this is a bug or I'm having trouble figuring some math.

My shown edict duration is +85%, from 2 sources: executive vigor giving +50%, and my hive mind leader giving +40% (level 8). I have no other techs/civics that effect edict duration that I can see. This should be 90% right?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Dunno, I've seriously considered +4 starbases at a couple points in the game I'm currently playing. I probably would have taken it if I didn't get the +2 starbases tech to pop around that same time. I'm up to 14, and if my empire wasn't as consolidated as it is I'd be considering it again for more border forts.

edit: to expound a bit, I'm currently planning my wars around not really expanding the number of choke point systems I'll have to defend, getting another 4 starbases eases that up tremendously.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah but that's kind of the core criticism. There exists a +2 starbase technology and it's tier 1. You get +4 from an Ascension Perk! Like Baronjutter says every perk really ought to feel game changing and incredible and be something that will the driving force behind differentiating empires from each other.

I'd junk the +10% research speed into enigmatic engineering. I'd remove the first tier of psionics entirely because all it loving does is give you 2-3 psionic leaders before you get to the next step, compare that to cybernetics which gives every leader a strong bonus and 20% habitability to all your pops. Half the ascension perks are just plain boring if not entirely shite.

How do you rate tradition tree opener/finishers? Curious because like Nevets said research has a +5% that you get even faster than +2 starbases, and people are all about taking the +10% perk. Which is .. kind of less than finishing the discovery tree (you get 10% + something).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for all the perks to actually be interesting, but it isn't exactly "shite". There are several that are more situational, but even the one that I think is actually poo poo (+5 core worlds) I accept that it exists for people who hate sectors. Even one vision has a solid place in some setups, along with interstellar dominion.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I was comparing the effect you're getting from a perk versus a tech or tree opener/finisher. The perk seems weighted at x2 what the tech gives, and in-line with a tree finisher/opener (10% research, +2 starbases and -20% upgrade cost).

Once you've got 40 starbases you've got like what, half the galaxy? You're already into victory lap territory at that point.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Well as an inward perfection agrarian idyll with the +10% unity racial trait I'm able to unlock Faith in Science before finishing my first tech. Also can afford to wait for first discovery unlock and pair that with map the stars, and still start expanding decently with the reduced expansion cost (60 per system).

edit: finishing off the tree fast and taking the research perk nets you a cool +20%, combo that with increased research from anomolies and the tech->unity cycle is started pretty swiftly.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 8, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I think the error log is fixed already? My pirate_fleet_effects looks exactly like what that thread is saying, and my error log is 3kb.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I'm pretty sure I've had more success playing progress quest than sots 2.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I wish I could turn off the upgrade available icons for buildings that I don't plan on currently upgrading. Like I often don't want to upgrade mines/farms because they're really inefficient, but I'd like to upgrade other important things. I find myself skipping certain techs often just from wanting less icon clutter.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I upgrade everything all the time out of OCD to make the arrows go away. I haven't done the math but which buildings are bad deals to upgrade?

Well for example farms are +1 output for +.5 upkeep, and most buildings are similar. Building a science lab over the basic lab is +1 research for +.5 upkeep. I can't recall the changes for the second level upgrades off-hand.

Upgrading basic buildings is pretty far down on my list. Farms for example pretty much need to be able to replace an existing farm by upgrading the others to be worth it, or if you need more food for other planets. Upgrading science buildings shouldn't happen until you're out of tiles on a planet (even then they're worse than almost any science station). Upgrading mines is just exchanging energy for minerals (.5 energy for 1 mineral each month), so until you've got a bunch of modifiers to production that often isn't worth the cost till later on.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Last night I had 413 Unity income; today after the change to Assist Research unity boost I earn 292 :negative:

To be fair that means you were getting a 41.4% boost to your unity generation. The biggest other options cap at 30% and tend to involve a lot more work (multiple type of planets colonized or federation members).

My advice wasn't lovely, you just added on 4+ conditionals to my rule of thumb. I can turn any advice someone has for anything into lovely advice if I do that.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Disagree, upgrading farms remains worth because you can get rid of your other farms and use the tile for stuff that doesn't suck.

The problem is you need to upgrade 2+(base food from tile) farms to replace that farm. Then you're also paying .5 energy per farm you upgrade. So it is eventually worth it, but it is a cost.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I like upgrades honestly, my only gripe is the repeated clicking involved, but the mineral investment is good I think, I like things that are costly but make your planets really good in return, a fully upgraded planet is a powerhouse of productivity, but it's a lot more expensive than just expanding to more planets, and that's fair.

If anything I wish there were more ways to build up your space tall with investments. More megastructures and the like that buff planets you build them around. Better space mines perhaps, building more tiles onto planets by building orbital habitat rings. Lots of stuff.

I just had a thought, what if there were empire limited techs tied to your number of core systems? So instead of 1 per empire, you'd have [core systems #] per empire, then you could make them stronger while also buffing the core systems techs.

@Muenster, to get 30% from the other ways you need to colonize 6 different biomes or have a federation with 6 members, and that still isn't nearly as big of a boost as you were rocking.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I think this new faith in science is still really strong, especially as an early unlock. Later in the game it'll be weaker, but so are some of the other unity gains from some of the other trees (static +1 or +2 is good early but not great later). I think it synergizes really nicely with a fast tech build. I can see some sort of materialist tech rush build that unlocks cyborgs super fast, rolls that into galatic force projection and goes on the warpath.

edit: zero point energy gates a bunch of late game poo poo, it should have sparkles on it to denote that you should research it yesterday.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah unless there are some pirates hiding out somewhere. I killed all the pirates I could find but my log file still ballooned up to 50 gigs or something. At least it doesn't run *too* poo poo, just like noticeably worse.

I don't currently have the apocalypse dlc, and I'm not getting ballooning error logs in the beta patch. Maybe it is something from that?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

One thing to remember with starbases are the unique building thingies available. The neutral stations all have an option that is really good, blackholes can get a +10 physics research, and nebula can get a +5 minerals building. So I aim to put my anchorage starbases in one of those systems, since they're almost never trading hub base options.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Dunno, I've been able to afford map the stars+expanding with 1 constructor constantly in several different game setups. Like I started a materialist empire that rushed discovery tree and I was able to afford that, and once my initial faction showed up I had a bunch of extra influence. If you've got anything that lowers cost it should be easy to do that as well.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I often thought that something fun you could do with food was let hive minds use it to power special structures on planets that have unique effects.

Food on some of your edicts instead of energy basically means you can run those edicts all the time. Also, heavy food surplus can make a really big difference in pop growth. My hive mind game when growing 1 pop I was getting +6 progress per month. I was literally growing people faster than I could build buildings for them to work.

If you take any of the civs that let you have adaptability instead of diplomacy, you can get really big food/mineral outputs with the "farms provide 1 mineral" unlock. Not only is it +1 mineral per farm (plus other output bonuses), but your adjacency bonus double dips (food AND minerals).

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Claims are significantly cheaper than the cost to expand to those systems normally as well. The base is 50 instead of 75, rivals drop it by 20%, the war tree drops it by another 20%, and there are plenty of other cost reductions on 'em.

edit: uh, the galatic nomads appear to be busted in 2.0+. Since they don't get your starbase in the system they ask for, you immediately take control of the colony and blow up the new empire.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 11, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Someone was complaining about this earlier, but you can't just auto-win without beating all the people in the war, because theoretically they could show up and push you out. Maybe once there are some more diplomacy things there could be situations where they convince someone to attack you partway through the war. Also, they're paying for those defensive pacts, so they should get something out of them yes?

Also it sounds like you're well past victory lap status, maybe try a harder AI setting, or making sure you have a good mix of advanced start AIs? If you're constantly curb stomping everything then yea the influence will feel slow, but if things aren't as one sided constantly the influence flow is pretty good. You have to make choices on where to spend it, but it isn't designed for you to be able to use everything that uses influence all the time.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Therefore, it seems logical to me if you can occupy the entire territory of the target, you should be able to negate the Vassalization war goal penalty.

You just answered your own complaint. Their alliance makes it so you need to suppress their total combined holdings, not just half of them.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah I think I found the problem. If you get rid of your free fleet you'll get destroyed by spaceships. That's kind of how it works.

After several more games I still can't replicate any of the pirate issues people are reporting either - they start out so weak they can't kill an outpost until help arrives and that state lasts for multiple pirate outbreaks. Eventually they get to the point where they might kill one system's worth of mining bases until the 6 or so corvettes needed to stomp them show up from a lot of system away. The highest I've ever seen pirates get is slightly less than 1k power (at which point about 10 corvettes easily exceeded that) and by then there's just no unclaimed space left so pirates cease to exist.

The only time I've had problems with pirates that weren't directly from me doing something glaringly wrong was when their base showed up in a system that already had poo poo in it so I couldn't get to the station to destroy it. They'll keep making larger fleets so eventually I got overwhelmed. So maybe the people with pirate troubles just aren't going to blow up the pirate station?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I didn't try to figure out WHY they wouldn't kill it, it is just the only way I can see it actually turning into a problem.

Taking a break from initial expansion to build 2 corvettes and hire an admiral lets you kill the starter pirate attack, then you can tell it to heal to full and kill the station, and you should lose 0 ships.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

There are some other things that mitigate it, but consider that you're not paying any influence to claim systems for wars, and you're coming out ahead anyways.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is there an easy type of space rear end in a top hat to play? I’ve normally played as non-xenophobic nice guys, but I think that it’s time to dip my toe into the conquest pond. Are drive assimilators more forgiving than, say, hiveminds? Or is it better to just be a xenophobic space racist so I can at least pretend to engage in diplomacy.

Do you want to have vassals/tributaries or not?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

So my energy was pretty much breaking even.

Installed the 2.0.2. patch so I could get my CBs and claims all fixed up as a mech empire.

load the game back up and I'm losing 200 energy per turn. :stonk:

I believe they turned the level 0 station from 0 upkeep to 1 upkeep.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I'm not sure where you get that. I'm talking about the pirates that spawn when you only have a few systems 10 years into the game, where being expanded out to choke point and having starforts built in stategic locations will not have necessarily happened yet. Again, I want to drop it until I can post some screenshots. At this point I dont even want to bother with that because this turned into much more of a commotion than I ever thought it would. I appreciate that people want to help and that I have gotten so many replies, but it is looking more and more like bad luck combined with maybe needing to employ a different strategy in the first fifteenish years of the game.

What difficulty setting do you have? Maybe there's a bug on a lower difficulty or something?

The part that we're confused on isn't based on luck. The starting pirate strength is very consistent, and it takes almost no investment to be able to fight off them off (200 energy, ~300 minerals for admiral+2 corvettes). With the influence gating expansion speed even the longest time to get your fleet to the targeted system you'd lose at most that 1 system worth of mining bases. Part of that cost then gets recouped by the reward on the pirate base being bigger when they blow up stuff.

You should have enough time after that to consolidate initial space fairly well. Often you'll have some systems you need to clear (500 and 1000 being rough strengths of space monsters), so slowly building up your fleet to 1.5k strength (somewhere around 16-20 corvettes) is your goal. Next pirate spawn is like 500 or 600 strength? I'm not even sure because I crush their skulls really easily, then you can boat your fleet around to start clearing those monster guarded systems.

If you're not killing monsters it should be in your budget to expand up to 1k fleet strength. After that second pirate wave if you're not doing wars, border forts should either be able to straight repel pirate fleets or hold out long enough for your fleet to arrive, or just be a spot you station that 20 corvette fleet.

A couple people have talked about pirate fleets growing on par with their fleet strength, and I'm guessing this is just people not keeping up on where their fleet strength should be. What is your naval strength/capacity compared to other empires? By the time I see pirate galleons (the 4k fleet strength), I'm fielding a 14k strength fleet or two. The only other option is they're not killing the pirate base itself, because that pumps out new fleets that grow in strength.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Doomstacks only really work against the AI that is willing to take a bad fight. As long as there are flanks, defender's advantage means splitting off that defensive station's strength into a corvette attack fleet to harrass your flank/interior is really viable. Sublight travel times means if you just try to chase a fleet around multiple fleets can do a lot of damage.

If you're so strong that they can't fight you, splitting up and doing max damage to your interior while your doomstack takes their space is what they should do. Aim to weaken you enough that someone else attacks you, or that they can buddy up with other people and aim to win the next war.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Sorry for the slow reply, I missed you stating your difficulty among scanning pages. I run on hard/aggressive as well, with 4 spiral 1.0 hyperlanes. So the same setting as what you've got going on, and I have had pirates spiral out of control exactly 1 time. That was when the pirate base spawn in a system with some 2k neutral threat so I couldn't go blow up the station, and the waves of attacks eventually got me.

To Young Hegelian, you can't build over a fleet's command limit, but you can build another fleet to go over your empire's ship limit. Just like you can go over your starbase limit, or core system limit. All of those just apply a penalty of various types, and depending on how your various incomes are you might be able to absorb it. For example if you're playing a Devouring Swarm Hive Mind with a big energy surplus, taking a penalty to energy income isn't a big deal since you have literally no energy dumps.

edit: to the kitty above me, was it possible to build fortified star bases on one border with a small defense fleet to hold against one guy while your other front is where you actually push (with 2 decent sized fleets)?

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 13, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

A devouring swarm hive mind should actually be able to handle a two front war, because you get a nice bonus to fleet cap. So you can shove that extra onto a heavy defensive station border, then station your main fleet on the front you want to push on. Against the AI you can let them attack into you and then counter push into his territory after that.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I'm going to test out some pirates, using a very, uh, not good starting setup. Remember that you can reform your government for influence, so usually it is better to start off with early civics, then later swap those out for something more useful. So I should have started with like +10% empire minerals and something else good instead of the ones I grabbed. I'll post each pirate fleet I get, and my fleets when they pop out.

Game settings: 600 star, 4 arm spiral, 12 AIs, 3 advanced AI, 2 fallen empires, 1x costs/world/hyperlane, 1.5x crisis, hard difficult, ai aggression high, rest default.

Race: Fanatic xenophile, egalitarian, oligarchy. Weak, sedentary, charismatic, intelligent, natural physicists. Civics: Free Haven (+50% alien migration), Cutthroat Politics (-20% edit cost).

I'll go discovery tree (so no bonus to grabbing land, or production discount), which I think is still decently strong, comboing map the stars.

Starting ruler: -25% science ship cost, +33% anomaly research speed, +10% energy credits, secure borders agenda (defense platform -cost/+dmg).

Here's my starting spot. The chunk south of me is really nice looking, but chances are someone is starting there. I'll poke up a bit to have a 2 system front towards the north and head south, and see what I find.

Hey I even didn't get great starting tech options, though corvette hulls is pretty handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Here is my first pirate update. At year 7 I had enough spare minerals to start building ships while still constantly building stations (prioritizing stations over ships). I had fairly bad mineral station luck (+21 from all stations by the time the first pirates spawn, 5 of that is initial system), but decent energy stations (+19) so I swapped some guys off of energy plants on my homeworld to mining stations to have a +33 mineral income at year 7. By year 10 I was at 6 corvettes and 500 banked minerals, so I bumped up to 8 corvettes before pirates came out.

2211.04. The pirate fleet is 4 corvettes with a total of 187. Fleet power wise my corvettes are a 43 each, so if I made 2 extra over my starting I'd be at a cool 215 strength, just fine to engage. As is, 8 puts me at 343. The pirate base is 72 listed power, I got 80 minerals and 50 energy since the fleet didn't get to kill anything before mine showed up and wrecked it.

My south expansion dreams are cut off by someone spawning right there, so I'm going to push north and see what I can do, though it is a bit of a mess. Maybe I can shrink it down to 3 chokes and look at pushing west.