Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is there anyway to cut down on the relentless amount of busy-work? I don't remember it being this bad at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Not really, and you're right the amount of busywork has skyrocketed. Now not only do you have planet tiles to click click click you also have like 40 starbases to click, it's basically 10 more tiles per starbase to fuss with, and god help you when you want to upgrade your defense stations. No idea why the game doesn't have a simple "upgrade all" button somewhere. Nope, you gotta click like 4 times per station 40 times to keep your defense platforms up to date. Got a new power plant? Go into your 6 core planets and upgrade each tile on at a time. People have been begging for planet or even empire wide "upgrade all" buttons but we've never gotten them, the excuse I remember being that they couldn't think of where in the interface to put the button.

I know there's a mod out there that will auto-upgrade all your buildings, and putting them in a sector generally works ok once a planet is fully built out, but it's still a really weird and obvious quality of life thing they haven't added. Like why not let us click the little UP arrow on the outliner that shows a planet has upgradable buildings and have that automatically upgrade every tile? Why not have a similar button in the planets and sectors list that you can click once and it upgrades every possible building you can afford? I guess there's the problem of labs and the weird choice where you have to pick a specialty but only after the first level. Again, tile system can't die soon enough.

Tiles are going away, which is great, so we should really focus our quality of life requests on starbases.
-Let us build modules before the associated slot is filled, ie let us build a fleet academy even if there's no shipyard there. It's just pointless busywork having to keep coming back to queue up more things.
-Have an empire-wide upgrade button for platforms.
-Maybe let us save designs as templates and then apply that template to a station. I'll generally just have a defense station design, a shipyard design, and a trade station design. Build a new station, apply template, never have to click on it again.

That's a bummer. And I really regret picking robots to play as now since that just adds more micro with building population.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

Side note, if you're playing into really late game I'd bump up apocalypse on the scale. Titans add another layer to your fleet with auras and all that, and you also get edicts that use unity, so it turns from something that eventually is worthless into something that is always good. Marauders and the Khan add some mid-game threats as well that help flesh out the game.

Marauders suck, it's just a fleet of 'always slightly stronger than you' jerks rolling in every 5 minutes to bust up your stations. I mean I assume as some point you outscale them but my god do they suck.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh gently caress this game. After being unable to do take any offensive action against the other empires the entire game due to the pervailing threat of 11k raiders and finally reaching the point where I can invade them the loving great Kahn event happens and now suddenly multiple 20-50k doomstacks all invade and sacc my worlds. My entire fleet is 20k at maxed fleet capacity. What a bunch of horseshit.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

President Ark posted:

talk to them and you'll have the option to surrender and they'll leave you alone

you'll lose some income and fleet capacity but that's better than getting killed

Screwed over by the picking the robot faction yet again. Fantastic. Great game-design. Not only did I have to suffer through boundless amounts of extra micro for the entire game, I also get to auto-lose in a situation where if I played literally anything else I would get a slap on the fingers.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You should also keep in mind that attacking one of the raider home systems considerably increases the chance of the Great Khan event firing (after the mid-game crisis year) so unless you can take everything out in one fell swoop you may want to just leave them be. If you're strong enough to take them on in one of their own systems you can just park a fleet nearby to deal with any raids or build a strong station. Or just let one of the AIs on the other side of the galaxy attack the raiders closest to them instead so they can deal with the Khan instead of you.

I've never seen two in the same game so it's either incredibly rare or not possible, so you should be safe after someone else pokes the hornets nest.

No empire but mine has access and the event triggered without me actually having the fleets in position to attack. I don't think the game can read my mind.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 30, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ulmont posted:

I think it's less "the robot faction" and "one of the 3 factions dedicated to wiping out all other life forms."

Then slap a loving warning sign to the tune 'can get gibbed by mid-game event no matter what you do' because when I picked a faction with a 'everyone is hostile to you' trait I expected the other empires to be the problem. Not RNG.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

2340 and that's all the space you've got? You haven't exterminated enough xenos.

It just pisses me off that I had recognized that I had a raider-faction right next to me at the beginning of the game I could have just restarted and had a game where I could have actually done what the entire point of this trait orientation is, invading the others. Instead I got bogged down by invading raider fleets, which are impossible by design to respond to until you scale, and by the point that I do scale they magically get 5 times as strong by a mid-game event getting triggered.

I get it, I'm being irrationally angry about a video-game here. But it just feels so completely pointless to have the game end by getting punted out by one of the gimmick DLC threats instead of one of the actual empires who play by the same rules as I do.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Stellaris is all about threats that don’t play by the same rules as you friend. End game crises, L Clusters, khanates, and fallen empires. Two out of four are base game.

The end-game threat is the entire point of the run though and fallen empires only bite if you bite them first.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

The thing with the races of "we hate everyone else and are always total war" is they get a bunch of REALLY strong bonuses right at the start, and if you don't leverage that into a proper snowball then of course you're going to get wrecked by events. Take advantage of your expanded fleet size and stronger fleets to utilize 0 influence cost wars to grow stupid fast. By the time the Khan fires you should be in a position to at least turtle up and fight him at the very least (unless you got a crazy bad enemy empire generation and they rush a big federation against you).

Restarted and prioritzed hitting fleet cap with corvettes over literally anything else. One empire down so far...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is it just me or is the AI completely incapable at fleet anything? If you're at power-parity then it's like suddenly their ability to calculate the odds of anything just shuts down. Meanwhile, if they're stronger they'll at least semi-coherently manage their resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just built my first habitat as a life-seeded empire.

I regret everything.