Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Axetrain posted:

al.. alright :stare:.

Are... are those gecko Shofixti? :neckbeard:

Also, it seems like there's a fun bug where the Decadent/Slaver Guilds requirements are missing for the Slaving Despots personality, resulting in almost every AI authoritarian empire having it :whip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I am so goddamn happy that the Artillery CPU exists for destroyers, I can finally relive the Freespace glory days of swarming enemy capitals with IBFs.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

This game is loving with me.

Not shown: several more planets that I can terraform later.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sharing races?

Left in the background because it felt appropriate :kheldragar:

e: My plan with these guys is to 'help' whatever crisis spawns and intentionally cause the End of the Cycle.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 28, 2018

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

GalCiv 2's claim to fame was that the AI was ahead of its time in terms of its ability to emulate the strategies an opportunistic human player would use. It was just hidden inside a very bland exterior.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Can anyone recommend some books that have a similar feel to Stellaris's world? Like, the general themes of "cyclical decay of galactic civilizations", the cosmic horror themes found in the End of the Cycle, the Horizon Signal, some of the spooky space-opera stuff like the Shroud and Unbidden. I've read Dan Simmons's Hyperion series, and Asimov's Foundation.

Not quite horror-themed, but the Culture series by Iain M Banks is definitely worth it if you want to see what a materialist FE might have looked like in its glory days, or an endgame Rogue Servitor empire.

Start with The Player of Games, and Use of Weapons first though, they give a better feel for the setting despite Consider Phlebas being the first in the series.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I find it amusing how phoned in Johan's empire is for the dev clash. :v:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So machine empires are even rougher starting out than before, everything costing energy plus the lack of trade value really gimps your starting economy.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

A lot of people are reporting bad stuttering on every daily tick, something I'm seeing myself as well. Think I'm going to wait for a patch.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The First League chain may now have surpassed the Cybrex chain. It gives you a perfectly usable size 25 Ecumenopolis for completing it now.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So I think planet management is the one thing that has had me stumped since the big rework. It feels like I have no idea what I'm doing or how I should be building my planets up. Is it worth it to min-max every single planet in your core sector or can you get away with generalizing.

I should note that I am playing with a few mods such as Planetary Diversity and GPM. My latest game as technocrat humans had the guaranteed world in Alpha Centauri spawn with two precursor modifiers that gave it +6 researcher slots. Needless to say I've completely dominated my neighbors in tech.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, Planetary Diversity adds a handful of unique worlds that don't look too special on the surface but are ridiculously broken in practice. There are four 'normal' ones where two of the resource districts give +5 jobs and housing instead of +2, which resources depends on the planet. The fifth one is a weird size 10 habitat moon with districts dedicated to each research type.

For the normal ones there are civics that let you start on them. It's like a more broken version of Life-Seeded in most situations.

e:Oh and a submod for it makes Luna and Mars colonizable from the start of the game, with yellow habitability and unique buildings/features. Also Venus and Titan can be terraformed if you select the option for it.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 21, 2019

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Or until you decide to go ham with a planet cracker/neutron sweeper.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

I like the one that sounds like Brianne of Tarth. Scientist maybe?

I think that's The Diplomat, which is kind of like Picard-but-a-lady, and also becomes the default for the UNE.

I agree that the Hive Mind advisor is atrocious. Machine one fits well though.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Ecumenopolis are kind of a trap choice now if you ask me, unless you have the huge rare resource economy required to maintain one.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

On no longer seeing other empires fleet orders; could we get the ability to do so again as a relic/ascension perk/rare tech?

Could be a nice addition to the Sentry Array actually. Once completed, in addition to vision you can listen in on enemy communications and determine their fleet orders. Add a countering effect to Enigmatic Engineering for the purposes of MP games.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They would spin to keep things from floating away

We're talking about a massive artificial structure with a radius equivalent to the habitable zone of its parent star. I'm pretty sure anyone with the know-how to build something like that without it being torn apart by gravitational forces born from its own mass would have figured out how to keep everything else in place.

The real trick is working out a simulated day/night cycle so the population don't lose their minds.

e: :goonsay:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

My first gaia game started in a nice little nebula cluster with one entrance, and the two systems on the everyone else side off that entrance were wormholes to the other end of the galaxy.

Back before they prevented Leviathans from spawning on chokepoints, I had a life-seeded empire in an isolated cluster with the only entrance guarded by the void horror.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Is it viable as servitors to cram all your organic pops into habitats and turn them into giant orbital zoos?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Leal posted:

So thats why there isn't anything to my west.

It's free real estate!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Escape Velocity Nova-style RPG set in the Stellaris engine/game.

It'd just be an inferior Starsector :v:

PS: Buy Starsector.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

When the gently caress will publishers learn that you can't get away with this poo poo any more?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I honestly can't remember the last time I played this unless I actually check the last played date on Steam. I think I just got fed up with long-standing issues being left untouched in favor of bugfixes for problems I never even noticed. :sigh:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

"Reach For The Stars, then put it back on the shelf again." was my favorite RTFS review.

Holy poo poo, I had that game as a kid. I remember the artwork for the ship and weapon designs being really funky and unlike a lot of other 4X games. The human ships had big transparent domes on the dorsal hull with what looked like cityscapes inside.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Quill used to be alright, but I find that he's somehow become more insufferable to watch than Arumba.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Game... good again?

Next week can't come soon enough.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm actually kinda impressed at how smoothly the game runs now compared to when I last played. Even the initial load with mods enabled is faster than a clean install used to be.

fake edit: Jesus christ Planetary Diversity got even bigger in the meantime, it's getting ridiculous now.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gigastructures is one of the mods I point to as an example of excessive feature bloat. Plus you're never going to see like 80% of the content it adds simply due to how long it takes to reach the required tech level.

NSC used to be the same but it actually underwent a pretty significant pruning a while back.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Really my only complaint is that the new launcher regularly causes 'outdated' mods that should be version-agnostic (flag, namelist packs etc) to break due to not recognizing the descriptor file.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Thankfully there's already a simple mod that kills the empire cap formula and leaves the per-planet carrying capacity intact: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2459415874

Also reduces the growth multiplier as the vanilla one is balanced with the empire cap in mind.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Call it diminishing returns if you want, it still feels like an arbitrary and tedious limitation, especially for empires where stealing pops isn't an option.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The empire cap feels like it's more of a limiter on gestalts, due to their ability to spread like wildfire if left unchecked. Especially machines with their disregard for planet type, exterminators in particular are a nightmare to deal with if you don't crush them early.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If anything I'm having trouble keeping up with the much quicker early game growth curve. It's much easier to expand faster than your economy can handle now.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

With the new economy changes I have been reminded that consumer goods are a garbage mechanic and I should just stick with gestalts forever.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Never mind post-scarcity, at the higher end of Gigastructures you're making meaningful progress on the Kardashev scale.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

going all in on on being an isolationist gigaengineer certainly isn't the most challenging experience but it's very relaxing to be so far ahead of everyone else that i get to play as the incomprehensible precursor race who does insane things based purely on whims

At this point you've practically become the Culture.

Stefan Annon put out a new tier list :jerkbag: for origins in 3.0 and honestly I agree with his assessments. Machines empires are in a really good place, they take Doomsday and Shattered Ring from intentional handicaps to outright broken.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I don't mind the negative outcome colony events, but would a potential compromise be to block such events from occurring on guaranteed habitables?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Anno posted:

drat this new menu music rocks

There's new menu music? It's just playing the Apocalypse/Nemesis one for me.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Don't talk to me if you're playing Rogue Servitors without the Culture namelist. :roboluv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Porkness posted:

You guys are still writing something for the species description at the empire creation screen, right?

I would if the UI would let me enter line breaks without having to paste in from a text editor. And if it added a scroll bar for long descriptions.