Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Soup du Jour posted:

Wiz I just encountered my first empire, they’re neighbors, and they are the exactly the same color as me. For the love of god

e: what the gently caress they’re Life-Seeded too

Way back when this game first came out, I played with three friends, two of whom are identical twins. We all, independently, chose to be red. The brothers also chose THE SAME FACTION SYMBOL, and swore they hadn't planned it. It was funny early on, but it got impossible by the end, when each of us was a quarter of the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Did 2.0 break empire generation? Three games in a row now, 90% of all normal AI empires are one of three personality types: Hegemonic Imperialists, Honorbound Warriors, and Slaving Despots.

This (1) makes the game safe, predictable, and boring; and (2) makes it impossible to form a federation, as all three personalities have heavy maluses to joining one.

My 2.0 game has been a giant love-in, full of pacifists, egalitarians, and xenophiles. There's been literally one war: my Federation piling on a bunch of hegemonic imperialists, to change their ways.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Baronjutter posted:

Paradox has mostly gotten rid of province trading with the AI in their games because of fears of gaming the AI and generally taking advantage of it.

CA did the exact same thing with the Total War games. I think the last one that had it was Empire, where you would see the Ottoman Empire trade Greece away to the Iroquois and so on.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ciaphas posted:

Drive-by posting while I look, do we have a date on this big patch coming soon? I'm told it makes the game worth looking at again if I was immediately turned off by the game initially, through removal of tiles and the like, so I'm looking forward to trying it

(edit: and having my own go at failing at making The Culture, of course, like any good sci fi dork, idc if it's been modded in already)

No date yet. The consensus is "maybe this year, more likely next".

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Lots of posts about the expansions starting here.

They're alright, but IMO the only essential one is Utopia. Maybe Synthetic Dawn if you're dying to play as a robot. I still haven't bought Apocalypse; that patch was enough for me.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You should know, some of those games do have AUD prices, but they don't show up on the wishlist page, you have to click through to the individual game pages to see them.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Stellaris 2.2: It's a thrall world after all

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So since leader caps are gone, I'm going to start by trying a build where I stack all the level cap, lifespan, and experience-gain increases, and have my people led by a caste of undying superbeings.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Imperator Rome 1.4: All Men Are Created Equus

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Possible bug, I've surveyed everything within three jumps of my homeworld, and found no empty habitable worlds. I've found two worlds with primitives on them, but that's not the same (and one is about five jumps away). All default settings. Anyone else encountered the same?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Davincie posted:

ai still doesn't develop its planets. its fleet was ridiculously weak (4k) too. and this is one of the stronger empires

Yeah I agree, this looks like a normal low-pop world. There's no point in clearing blockers unless you've used up all the existing space, and upgraded buildings tend to need strat resources.

Anyway my first game died. I was able to recapture most of the stations the Fanatical Purifiers took from me, but then the Great Khan event fired, and he lived right next to a wormhole to the middle of my empire. Came in with multiple 20k and 50k fleets, when everything I could muster was about 10k. One of his fleets attacked my combined fleet (in a system with a pretty tough station too) and squashed it.

I think I had a bug with Naval Capacity. It didn't go up, it just stayed at 20. It's meant to be tied to population, right? By the end I had about 6 inhabited worlds (this was the same save where I didn't get any of my guaranteed colonies), and hundreds of pops, but the only things that increased NC were the techs and a few Anchorages, and those came too late. I fought both wars against the purifiers with an NC of 20 and two very expensive fleets of 30 each.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

ZypherIM posted:

I'm pretty sure they untied it from pop.

Then they should have changed the tool-tip :colbert:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My second game's gone a whole lot better. I focused more on influence, and was able to spread across a pretty wide expanse. I got through the precursor chain (Vultaum) super early, and found some ridiculous systems, like the one with 19 minerals (and a decent amount of energy and research, too). I managed to get my economy into a great position where everything was in the black, although a sudden necessary expansion in the north threw things out of balance. Currently I'm trying to get my consumer goods up without compromising food and energy.

I also got to the end of the Horizon Signal chain. I now have about a dozen colonisable worlds in my home system, including three above size 20, and my species has tomb-world preference...

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is it just me or are the crises kind of crazy right now? I'm facing the Grey Tempest, with its 28k fleets, and I might be able to muster half of one. I have a large, wealthy empire, and am probably the strongest non-FE in the galaxy. I really don't want to lose this save, it's the one with all the Worm-spawned habitable worlds in my home system.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Hungry posted:

Why does a freshly built fleet have 70k power, but as soon as it makes contact with the enemy, drops to 62k fleet power despite not losing a single ship, and never returns to 70k after repairing?

I had something similar with an avatar-fleet, it kept wavering between 5 and 10 k, without any actual change in circumstances.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Preston Waters posted:

umm so what's the best planet to turn into an Ecumenopolis? Like, does it get its own bonus % whatever? Trying to decide if I should make my capital planet into one but unsure if it would be wasting a bonus modifier or not

edit: also if I destroy the art installation can I start it over again in a nebula? lmbo

You should city-ify a planet with few (or just generally unneeded) districts. After it's done all the resource districts will be gone, and you'll be limited to hypercity districts, alloy districts, consumer good districts, and amenity/trade districts. So yeah, somewhere reasonably large, with mediocre natural resources.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So how are they going with fixing the things that got broken with 2.2?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Vengarr posted:

Performance has gone from "literally unplayable" to "playable on small-medium galaxies depending on hardware". Everything else is still broke. Check back in another month.

Will do, thanks.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Seriously though, what was the reason given for automating sector boundaries?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Spend less on pops

Okay seriously though, could you get some breathing room by cutting your other costs? Deleting fleets and starbases, and downgrading strat-dependent buildings? And there's always the console, of course.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is there some way I can tell my governors "don't ever build any fucken farms, ever"?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

The Vikings posted:

Just got back into this since apocalypse. Started a few games, where did all the space monsters go :( Barely seen anything in my large/huge galaxies where there used to be lots of drones, ameobas, space whales, etc. Any mods to boost those spawn rates back up?

My current game has heaps of them, and they all seem to be within my borders.

I've never seen a primitive, though. Is that a side-effect of being a killer robot, or is it just weird luck?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got the achievement for having 10 species coexisting on one planet, as a Determined Exterminator.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Sometimes, if I don't like any of the research options I'll just pick the cheapest one, which is basically a jerry-rigged way of resetting. That's kinda lame, now that I think about it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Libluini posted:

Hell, what about a megastructure which slowly churns through system after system and slowly creates a new nebula?

What about a megastructure that does both at the same time, and permanently eliminates unemployment in your society?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

ShadowHawk posted:

Your problem is likely that you are running out of a resource you are selling.

The game does monthly trades before monthly production, so you need to have a stockpile to prevent this issue.

For instance if you sell 500 minerals per month and produce 1000, but don't always keep at least 500 minerals on hand, then you'll see your energy go back and forth by 500 minerals worth.

This gets even more stupid with trade treaties - if you dip too low in stockpile (even with always net positive production) you'll instantly flake on the trade treaty, cancel it, and offend them.

I don't think canepazzo is trying to sell anything