Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anyone else noticed that the track "Cradle of the Galaxy" is really similar to the menu theme from GalCiv2? This may have been intentional for all I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, I just researched wormhole stabilization and one of my wormholes (I have 3 within my borders) leads almost straight to the capital world of a life-seeded empire. They have a pretty large empire and a good fleet, but they only have the one world.

What happens if I were to take it in a war? Do their stations and empire just go bye-bye?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. If you somehow manage to take (and hold) their only world, their empire will cease to exist. No different than any other civ.

That's really interesting. I think I could take them in a fight, though it may take a while to get them to 100% WE considering they are in federation with another empire, so I'd have to fight them as well. Or would they jump straigh to surrender if I take their only planet?

This is the empire by the way (Mishar Realm). Wormhole opens up 1 jump away from their homeworld. I have a listening post in the wormhole system so I have good intel on them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It is time for reunification. All mankind shall rejoice.

Is this perhaps the correct time to reform the Commonwealth into something more regal? Maybe... an Imperium of Man? Also, move capital to Earth?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It's a shame that no one has made a Skaven/ratmen portrait pack yet. Really want to make a Skaven fanatic purifier empire set to using the pirate graphical culture for their ships.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So after playing through a bit of a game as the Commonwealth of Man (which I'll probably still continue), I went back and continued tweaking my list of custom empires, also culled a few that I didn't like. Currently these are the ones I like and am going to keep, I think. I use some custom portraits, they're easy to get to work if you just grab the grapgical assets from the mods they're in, I prefer putting them in the existing species classes rather than the custom ones the mods usually put them in, these Halo ones I found are pretty decent I think (it's also a universe I don't know or care too much about, so I am not as prone to just straight up making them the race from that universe as I would be with Mass Effect and such).

I haven't yet written up descriptions of any of these empires, though I might do that when I have a full roster for a huge map game, and am happy with the selection. I've also listed each of their AI personalities.

Slaving Despots

Spiritual Seekers

Fanatical Purifiers

Hegemonic Imperialists

Hive Mind

Peaceful Traders

Federation Builders

Honorbound Warriors

Erudite Explorers

So that's 9 empires. I also really like the loading screen alien portraits, and kind of like the setup the Voor Technocracy has, though I may tweak them a bit as currently they get the Slaving Despots personality, and I feel that doesn't quite fit, and I don't really want more slaving despots (I feel like hegemonic imperialists would fit them more). Anyway that means I am 5 or 6 empires short of a full roster. Anyone here have any suggestions to help me fill this one out? Thinking interesting and cool matchups between portraits, civics, traits and the like (and cool flag designs), and filling out the remaining AI personalities. Also, I had a machine empire, of the exterminator kind, but ultimately decided I didn't quite care for them, so I am also missing a machine empire to add to this.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 27, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's not animated and doesn't have alternate colors but there is at least one picture and also a custom built namelist:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1315761568

EDIT: If you want me to add your species to the Goon Pack, hit me up with a pastebin of the info from your user_empire_designs.txt.

Too bad about the not animated thing. Though I'd prefer the smaller Skaven anyways. Like this guy

I'm not done with my empires yet, and I haven't done quick backstory writeups for anyone yet, I'll share once I'm done with that.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 28, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I looked over the section on how to animate portraits and my eyes glazed over. It was hard enough finding a decent Skaven-ish picture to convert, much less tear apart and animate.

Yeah, I once thought about that myself, but gave up on it. I'd rather wait for some other nerd to do it. I am somewhat surprised that no one's figured out a way to do Skaven or 40k Orks yet, really, what kind of nerds are these? Possibly there just isn't enough decent pictures and stuff out there to get you started or the priorities of the guys who actually make decent portraits are all messed up.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Just created an empire that I hope will cause some problems.

They get the Migratory Flock AI personality which means they want to sign migration treaties with everyoe. However when they get into other empires they should hopefully cause some issues as in addition to being nomadic and extremely adaptive, meaning they can migrate just about anywhere, they are also repugnant, deviants and quarrelsome. Understandably they've reduced their homeworld to a lifeless husk.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Should have gone with Decadent rather than Repugnant, IMO.

So that they'll migrate to a new empire and then are immediately pissy about not having any goddamned slaves? That might be fun. I kind of want repugnant as well though, I mean just look at them. Could maybe get rid of quarrelsome.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Repugnant afaik only affects them if they're leader of the empire and is going to make it harder for them to get on good enough terms to sign migration treaties. So yeah decadent is gonna make them pissy much more effectively. You could also take the solitary trait that just makes them generally miserable but you might just end up with an empire that's too depressed to live if they don't have slaves in their starting empire.

Doesn't repugnant affect other specie's happiness if they are on the same planet? Opposite of charismatic really. Or at least that's kind of what I think "other species owner happiness" means.

I don't think I'm going to hit them with solitary, though it would make them more of a problem. Really the aim here is to make an empire that exports its population to other empires, and in those empires they are just these troublesome fuckers who want slaves, deviate from governing ethics and creep everyone the gently caress out. It doesn't matter that much if their own empire is a shithole as well, though I might make them authoritarian and see if they still end up as a Migratory Flock that way.

Staltran posted:

Repugnant used to lower the happiness of everyone else on the planet, but now that you mention it I think that got removed a while ago. It does increase xenophobe attraction though.

Well, drat. But yeah, having these guys in your empire making everyone else more xenophobic is also fun.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So I just started up a game as the UN with all my custom empires set to spawn. Anyway, this is how the Alpha Centauri system spawned.

Yikes.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

If there was going to be an energy cost for each outpost, it should have been instead of the unity or science penalty, not in addition to both :colbert:

One of the things I despised about Civ V is how they would hit you with a list of penalties each time you expanded. Sad to see Stellaris heading in the same direction. I understand it's supposed to be a "cost" rather than a penalty, and if it was just energy I think it'd feel that way, but the research hit really should've been removed.

Disagree. Civ 6, at least the version around release, removed (most?) research penalties from empire size and it was just terrible.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

That's the best part of Civ VI. An empire-building game that encourages you to actually build an empire, a novel concept!

Civ 6 is trash.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TGLT posted:

Infinite City Sprawl, which was the old civ strategy of just always building new cities forever always all tiles, everywhere (after accounting for the workable tile footprint).

Also the Roman Empire was pretty loosely organized and prone to near constant civil wars. poo poo for a bit there point it was three different empires. I mean I'm down for bigger = more likely revolutions, but until then maintenance costs and increasing unity/research work just fine.

Until Diocletian there wasn't even much of a formal state apparatus at all, no organizations in charge of taxations or public works or anything like that, it was all done at a local level by local notables with the Emperor at the top of the pyramid as the head of the army and kind of acting as the patron of the entire empire.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jazerus posted:

nero was a perfectly decent emperor in that, because he was way too busy working on his sweet lyre jams to pick up actresses, he really did nothing to interfere with the workings of the imperial apparatus; it was very used to self-direction since tiberius and claudius were both pretty hands-off and caligula was, well, caligula, so this wasn't as much of an issue as you'd think. his reputation as a bad ruler is incredibly overblown because the senate thought he was weak enough that a bunch of propaganda could lead to a successful senatorial coup. which they indeed tried during the year of the four emperors, and their senatorial emperor was terrible

the pax romana was totally a real thing. the average roman's life was not at all disturbed by any of the political intrigue you describe, except for those living in rome itself maybe. there is violence during the pax romana obviously, but it's less frequent and, jewish revolts excepted, less severe than you might expect before or afterward.

Well, here's the thing, really there wasn't much of an imperial apparatus for an Emeperor to mess with, the Roman Empire essentially ran itself, and that doesn't mean it had a self-perpetuating bureacracy or anything like that it means that every part of the empire ran its own affairs at the local level with very little intereference or involvement from above, except things like appointments to the most important posts like governor and such (and this was often more of a rubber stamp kind of thing than anything else).

Truly it is not until Diocletian you get anything resembling what we'd call a state apparatus at all.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

I am finding the changes really interesting, a lot of them are quite good for throttling that early game rush I dislike.

One thing I have no idea about is the whole War Fatigue, I feel like someone needs to post a comprehensive guide on it. I don't understand how I'm winning the war, taking over territories and defeating fleets but I have 100% exhaustion on the left-hand side, while theirs is only ~45%.

War exhaustion is not the same as war score. The winning side may be eager to take what they have, declare victory, and go home, rather than keep dying and paying to achieve total victory.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Wide versus tall as divergent playstyles is a bullshit concept. The ideal empire is both wide and tall. It's about priorities, not two divergent paths. Do I spend my resources on constructing a building, or building a starbase to claim another system. That kind of decision. Not the decision between "well I will never expand" or "I will never build a building".

In any case, the problem is the 2% research penalty, combined with energy maintenance, makes it so that a lot of stars will simply never pay back the cost you invest to expand into them. Many of them actively hurt your empire. That doesn't support either "wide" or "tall" play.

Not all territory should give material benefit and therefore measuring value purely in return on investment is a poor way to go about. Some territory should only be valuable for border security or strategic position. Some territory shouldn't be worth expanding into and holding at all. Empire management absolutely makes sense, the exact numbers may not be right, but getting rid of it entirely is both dumb and boring.

e: Should probably turn off auto-complete on my cell phone as it messes up everything I try to type in english.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 2, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

No. All space should be beneficial in some manner, or else why is it there at all? To be a trap option?

Take a star that provides 2 physics research. What good is that when it will increase your tech cost so that 2 physics research never actually helps you, but instead hurts you?

Some space will (and should I think) only be valuable in a sense relative to strategic position (for an example holding it can help you shut out a rival or establish a stronger defensive line) or for maintaining internal security (keeping down pirate spawns that is currently), and thus they will only be valuable given such a situation arises.

I say don't expand into that space if it is not beneficial to you. End of story really. I agree that the numbers likely need tweaking and the in-game documentaton about the costs of expansion could be better, but I absolutely disagree with you that a territorially bigger empire should just be better in absolutely everything and keep snowballing forever (not that that isn't the case now, really, I have experienced little to indicate that bigger empires simply aren't more powerful than smaller ones, especially in a simple brute force kind of way).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anyway, since you hate it so much. The file is "00_defines.txt" located in Stellaris/common/defines. Look for "TECH_COST_MULT_NUM_SYSTEMS" and set that one to "0".

You're welcome.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anyway. Just turn it off, dude. You just have to edit 1 number.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm only concerned with the numbers in this analysis, so things like "having pretty borders" and "annoying pirates" aren't really going to have any weight here. It's fine if you want to play suboptimally and you acknowledge you're playing suboptimally because of aesthetic reasons, and hell, I do it all the time, but it in no way justifies bad mechanics. Remember, this is a penalty we're talking about removing. Removing this in no way hurts any of those things you just talked about, it only helps.

I already told you how to remove it. Just do that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I kind of want to create a mod that spawns more realistic star systems, and splits up and expands the class of uninhabitable planets a bit compared to what's already on the table (there's already plenty of mods for habitable planets). And on the topic of that I am wondering if anyone knows if I can set specify allowed orbit distances for randomly generated planets per star type? As far as I can tell it seems I can only specify a range of allowed orbits for a planet (that is for all stars) then for each star type select whether a certain type of planet is allowed to spawn or not. This is not ideal, as I'd like to have planets appear in reasonable orbits for their composition, size and temperature.

One solution is to make separate entries with the same stats and names for each star type that can spawn that planet, but that seems very clunky and will likely need alot more fiddling around with the files for deposits, anomalies, events and such than I think is reasonable. And for habitable planets it would really clutter up the interface when viewing habitability for a species for instance. So if there is some method to get around this that anyone knows of I'd be happy to know of it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jabarto posted:

It was a page back but mammalian ships are the best. Robust, angular, and don't look like sex toys. :colbert:

Mammalian ships look good. Particulalry the larger ones, where there's quite a bit of visual variety among the different sections. The only ones I don't really like are the plantoid and humanoid ones (humanoid stations and such look neat, but I was disappointed how nearly all humanoid ships look the same and there was so little variety compared to the mammalian ones).

My favorite though is probably reptilian or molluscoid.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So looking at that it seems that the highest strata of POPs (rulers?) always have a high luxury maintenance that is not affected by policies(?) and that the living standards policy adjusts how much luxuries the lower strata of POPs need in upkeep, presumably up to utopian abundance where they are either equal or close to equal in maintenance with the upper class. Academic privilege then probably works as before in that it makes those POPs doing research happier and makes them more effective at research at the cost of higher maintenance.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Skaven portraits when?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cute, but I want something more like just a straight up rat-man

Fleeting, Repulsive, Decadent, Rapid Breeders, Intelligent
Materialist/Fanatic Xenophobe
Shadow Council, Cutthroat Politics, Oligarchic

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

This is pretty fun so far, but I need to find some aliens to make my slaves

e: I think this is the first time I've ever run decadent without any authoritarian for caste system

Been a while since I played (and currently stuck in that hellzone where I won't play until I get that sweet, sweet update), but you can't have caste system without being authoritarian? In which case I think being authoritarian rather than materialist might make more sense for the Skaven as they should be enslaving their own kind as well.

Definitely have to stick with the fanatic xenophobe though, as they are the supreme master race.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I seem to remember the Civ AI handling combat acceptably enough to sometimes be a challenge back in the old days of the doomstacks (I only played SMAC, Civ III and Civ IV of those old titles though), it was with the advent of 1-unit-per-tile that it became useless. Somehow it seemed worse to me in VI than in V though, in VI it's just laughably bad, or at least it was when I played it (which is back when the game was released).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 24, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What is nerve-stapling anyway? I remember it being a way to make riots go away in SMAC and it made everyone hate you, but I don't really think it was much more elaborated on than that.

e: ah, there is an explanation of the trait in Stellaris, essentially a kind of super lobotomy it seems.

quote:

Unessential neural pathways relating to self-preservation and free-will are severed, creating a docile and obedient client species.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hmm... it'd be kind of interesting to play an empire in Stellaris that is the Combine from Half Life 2. Go full on cybernetic and biological enhancement (though I think the two are mutually exclusive) keep on modifiying your founding species until they are just an immortal race of rulers of an empire that conquers planets, sucks up their resources and modifies their inhabitants to be slave species used as living weapons in the next conquest.

You'd have to spend a while to get to that point though, and you can't really have evolution and enhancement come to the point where your specieis just atrophies into featureless blind blobs, but you could do the nerve-stapled living weapons thing I guess.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kaal posted:

That makes sense to me. I like setting up the species traits to reflect the social changes wrought upon humanity by each faction, but it sounds like I'm certainly a minority in that view. What would the human traits be? The default are Adaptive, Nomadic, and Wasteful, which works pretty well for the Unity Expedition.

When playing (as or with) humans I generally add Quick Learners (for much the same reason as you already have adaptive, and that it's kind of a sci-fi trope in that human learn and adapt to new conditions much faster than the older alien species and such) and Deviants as well (for the sake of ideological diversity, if you have a democracy and particularly the representative democracy civic then this almost works to your advantage as you'll have more different factions).

Gonna wait 'till August 9th to see whether or not I decide to wait until the expansion to play Stellaris again or not, it's just that alot of the changes coming have me completely ensnared, and hopefully the new DLC for CK2 will be out soon enough as well, which should tide me over for a while, especially if I do a mega campaign.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 25, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

Notably, Tropical World is only at 80% and we don't see what the 20% is, so either that just indicates habitability (of what? Main species? Most compatible?) or it only shows the most significant climate. I'm still hoping we can have mostly tropical worlds that have one big desert or something, it would be way more workable with the way pops are handled now.

It's almost certainly just habitability.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

The more I play with Barbaric Despoilers, the more I realize they... just don't work. Raiding wars don't offer enough of a reward when you win, aren't easier to win, and if you're raiding a planet you might as well just go for Conquest because then you get ALL the pops and the planet to boot.

Barbaric Despoilers are encouraging a play-style that just doesn't exist in Stellaris right now.

Ideally it should work like raiding in CK2. Allowing you to set fleets to a "raiding stance" which makes the fleet hostile to the owner of any (non-allied I guess) system it enters and allows the extraction of wealth and abuction of pops by bombarding. The target of such a raid should possibly receive a CB to with a wargoal that forbids raiding for a number of years or something along those lines, in addition to hefty relations boost.

If this is possible then a "blockade stance" (probably to be locked behind policies and ethics) for normal empires would also be cool, allowing you to cut off a planet from a trade route and stop imports and exports, without declaring war.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I absolutely hate to come to his defense but not wanting the 3 pops I found in some backwater creeping towards perfect equilibrium across my entire empire (along with every single other alien species, regardless) because I gave them full rights isn't racism or whatever the gently caress.

It's immersion breaking and kind of silly.

I also assume it will be moddable so I'm not that concerned. I'm more concerned with how uncontrollable gene modded pops will be if you can't really effect where they go and they aren't smart enough to kind of grow or migrate where they are actually needed. It's already kind of weak.

Skimming through the last pages of the thread it does appear that at some point it's kind of randomized which pop on a planet grows (pulled from a weighted list), but at very low levels the underrepresented pops are guaranteed to be the ones growing. Seems okay to me. You could probably mod it easily to be randomized all the way, with the most signifant factors to be weighted being number of pops already on the planet and growth speed with say a some additional weighting applied for being underrepresented (or non-present but migrating) would seem like a pretty good way to that I think. That way you could guarantee that minorities will form in empires that have migration treaties over time, but also beyond the initial forming of the minority you'd mostly see the majority race growing.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Stellaris 2.2: The solution to tiles was to give players something else to fight over.

It's collectivism and people being angry because of communism or something all over again.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Staltran posted:

So are you saying the devs will cave in and change it? They did rename collectivism/individualism, after all.

Who knows, what's similar is that we have pages and pages of goons whining and talking past each other.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, thinking about the last time Sweden went around declaring war on everyone it would probably be quite terrifying honestly. Lots of angry scandis wandering through canada hopped up on the jesus and shooting people with muskets.

Hey, most of his army was actually German, Dutch and Scottish mercenaries. Though that's not necessarily less frightening of a rampaging horde. Only the cavalry were primarily from Sweden, one time I saw them described by a source as something like "Tall, ruddy Swedes, swarthy Lapplanders on tough ponies and colorless Finns."

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think Lapplanders should be riding on Finns and I am frankly surprised that the Finns put up with that.

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

iospace posted:

Well, :rip: to rushing discovery for unity bonuses then. Though that was a bit too powerful, free unity for research.

A good change IMO, if you have one option among many which is just a no-brainer to pick then I think that means something is not completely right.