Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ms Adequate posted:

I wish to inform you all that I love the Worm and the Worm loves me.

:same:

Not sorry for dredging up a two week old post. What was shall be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Has this mod been posted yet? Because I think it is absolutely worthy of posting:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1335088131

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I like how I started my first game as a post-apocalyptic empire, and in my immediate vicinity I found three 20+ sized tomb worlds that are somehow even more terrible hellscapes than my homeworld. One is apparently fully covered in bones.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

OwlFancier posted:

Your species initiated a remote terraforming initiative before beginning their local one.

Nah the official bio is that they invented FTL around 1900, and promptly started a global hell-war over who gets to go first and hosed everything up before they got any ships built. Then they eventually unified under a single, more rational government and are trying to make a better go of it the second time around. Ya know, nothing fancy.

I can imagine the first surveyors exploring the other planets like "Man, I thought we hosed our place up, but god drat"

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've started a few games as Post-Apoc and never get that, and I feel lame colonizing my standard planet type - I want to cleanse planets of life before I settle on them :(

I admit I didn't expect to get quite this kind of mileage out of this civic, honestly. :v: If I had gone with a more regular civ and found all these I'd've been pretty bummed, since almost all the normal colonizable planets around me kinda blow.

Also I started inside a nebula, together with a marauder empire. They are literally only three jumps from my homeworld. I thought that was gonna be interesting but I guess marauders are broken for me, it's past 2300 already and I haven't heard a single peep from them. And I have the "neutral raider fleets with script jank names idling in a system forever" bug. I wonder if it's a vanilla bug or mod-related.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 27, 2018

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My favourite refugee event was some months ago, when an awakened xenophobe fallen empire declared war on me and my huge federation, got its poo poo pushed in and then their people fled to my space when the nastier federation members started oppressing them. Whose the inferior xeno rabble now, shitheads? :smug:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I colonised a planet with "Strange Alien Eggs" on it, and even named it Fiorina to goad fate a bit, but nothing cool happened. I hold you personally responsible for ruining my game, Guilliman! :argh:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Guilliman posted:

Nordick, you really are going to regret those words. Not today, not tomorrow, but someday. hehe. hehehahaha... hahahahahahahahahaa...
starts working on empire galaxy destroying alien egg event

"So the Prethoryn are rampaging across the galaxy, infesting world after world, but I heard this human corporation called Weyland-Yutani have come up with a solution. I'm sure they can't make things any worse, right?"

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
On another note, is anyone else having a lot of localization errors in the game after 2.0.2 went live? To be more precise, random bits here and there are missing localization, such as the piracy risk indicator in the government window, the tooltip for the Citizen Service civic says "civic_tooltip_citizen_service_effects" instead of stating the actual effects, etc. The errors aren't nearly common enough to really hinder gameplay, but they are a bit distracting.

Already tried validating game files for no effect, so I'm wondering whether it's a mod issue or an actual game bug.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ulmont posted:

Constantly. What language are you playing in?

Just plain normal English.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did someone say 2.0.2?!

Featuring a staggering :supaburn:TWENTY:supaburn: new species and updated for 2.0.2.

Awful Apocalypse

As always, send me a PM, ping me on the Discord, or even just post it here (make sure you quote me so I can see it easier) if you want your garbage fire of a species added to the mod pack.

You're doing the Lord's work, Joeslop.

However, you forgot the one I submitted via PM a while ago. For convenience's sake I'll just post it here so all can marvel at my mediocrity:

Taalgan New Order
The Taalgans first discovered FTL roughly around 1900. Before any ships were built, their already tumultuous society promptly erupted into a global war over claims of space territory. After the war had reduced their world to rubble, the Taalgans faced a long dark age of gradual rebuilding and serious collective introspection. In the launch ceremony of their first FTL craft, 300 years after the discovery of FTL technology, the newly crowned emperor Lyphoros did not give a lengthy speech. Instead, he merely played a video summary of all the wrongs their old world order had wrought. After the video ended, he uttered the words that immediately became the new nation's motto: "Right then, let's not do THAT again", and hit the launch button. Time will tell how long this motto actually endures the volatile Taalgan nature.

Pastebin of the user_ermpire_designs entry: https://pastebin.com/YDv9See0

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm afraid I do not know which federation you are referring to. :saddowns:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bloodly posted:

Star Trek. Half the reason they try to be people of peace was they blew themselves up in nuclear war, and only luck with a half-crazy man trying to do faster-than-light to sell the tech getting the attention of a passing Vulcan ship is the reason they're in utopia from tech-sharing rather than all dying off.

They basically said 'Never Again', and 'there has to be a better way'.

The novelisation of First Contact goes into this.

My fault. Sorry.

Well, poo poo. I was never much of a Trekkie at all, so I had no idea about any of the history of the setting. I assure you, any similarities or references are purely coincidental. :v:

Way I figured it, Taalgan society used to be divided into a bunch of bickering nation states, mired in stagnant theocracy and mutual mistrust and xenophobia, and just generally very averse to change. This is the part they've turned around, but they're still pretty warlike and generally riotous in nature.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, the AI mods really seem to make a difference. I was just playing on Captain, and got loving stomped when all three of my other neighbours opportunistically declared war on me while I was busy kicking around a devouring swarm that was my fourth neighbour. I guess I should've seen it coming though, was playing xenophobes and keeping my borders closed from everyone, which seems to be pretty great at annoying your neighbours.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Played my first Distant Stars game up to like 2400 or so, but I guess I'm restarting because there's not a single L-Gate anywhere near accessible to me. :argh:

Good update though, loving the cool new events and poo poo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I did get my first Great Khan, at least. And he was right next to me too, so I bore the brunt of the onslaught. They managed to take three of my colonies while I was busy upgrading and building up my fleets, but once that was done, things started going sour for them in a hurry. Poor bastards didn't expect me to have jump drives that I yoinked from the Dimensional Horror pretty early on. I just kept jumping my whole navy on top of their lone fleets, ganking them one by one. Eventually I killed the Khan while he was desperately trying to bombard another colony of mine. Unexpectedly the remnants rallied into a single Successor Khanate, but unfortunately for them they were still holding two of my colonies so I promptly declared war on them and pushed their poo poo in. I was gonna vassalize them just as an insult, but didn't have any Supremacy traditions so meh.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm getting a bug where newly contacted empires often trigger the "new contact" event several times. And it gives me influence for each time. It's a bit silly.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Huh, I just noticed that strategic resources in my current game have reverted back to their pre-2.1 effects. Wonder if some mod's loving up or what.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nordick posted:

Huh, I just noticed that strategic resources in my current game have reverted back to their pre-2.1 effects. Wonder if some mod's loving up or what.
To answer my own question, it's the outdated Collect All Resources mod that's causing this. Shame, I really like that mod. Hopefully the author updates it soon.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I got the Vultaum homeworld in this game and it's smack dab in the middle of my empire.

What I do have a problem with though, is one of the new Distant Stars events that gives you coordinates to some ancient laboratory, and in two games in a row now I've had it point to literally the opposite edge of the galaxy.

EDIT: The animal speciments get really spread out too, for the reward they eventually give. I don't mind having to get up to some shenanigans to grab that goddamn Tarblac from my neighbour's territory, but having to run all over the galaxy for them can be a bit much. Easier now with the experimental subspace thingy for science ships, admittedly.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 28, 2018

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

President Ark posted:

it's not guaranteed, i've had that one pop outside my territory and tell me the lab is inside my territory, and also what you get from it is another L-gate insight so it's not like you're missing anything crazy from it
That's kinda the problem, if it WAS something crazy it'd feel like worth making the effort getting to it. Now it's just hanging in my event log for nothing because gently caress bothering with it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1001063470123638784

Wiz you are a beautiful and magical being

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I feel like it would be cool if we could set citizen rights by planet, so we could set up like penal colonies and poo poo, or the opposite like paradise worlds where any pop could be sent to enjoy full social welfare regardless of their usual species rights.

Maybe not practical or useful, but cool.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rutibex posted:

Don't populations count as like 1 million people? That wouldn't be a prison world, it would be a gulag world.

I don't really care, the whole pop thing is so abstract to begin with. Pops are just pops to me, I don't really concern myself with what they're supposed to represent "in the real world".

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Worm is a false prophet.

M....MODS?!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GunnerJ posted:

Wonder what a "Campaign" is, has that been discussed?

I assume it means the big resource dump empire edict things, like healthcare campaigns etc. I mean I know their costs are fixed at the moment, but the whole update is a big honking economy update so :shrug:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hremsfeld posted:

There's no Sabaton yet, though

For Stellaris they could make a deal with Keldian instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE5BUm3b2SY

Realtalk though, I have 550 hours in Stellaris and I still listen to the soundtrack whenever I play, because it is phenomenally good and just does not get old.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

I've read through this drat collection before, twice, and just read a bunch of them a third time before a buddy poked me to play vidya games with him. Will probably re-read the rest too later. There's just something about these that makes them way more compelling than they feel like they should be. Even the really silly, badly written ones. Then there are the ones that are actually legit pretty good and make me sad they're so short. Kinda want to try my hand at this myself some time.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Can we please have an angry Scotsman voice pack? Optimally, have Billy Connolly voice it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I want a GLaDOS voice pack. There's a mod one in the Steam Workshop, but last I tried it it wasn't all that well put together.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So uh, is it intended that when you defeat an awakened empire, their thralls become your vassals? Because that's what happened to me. The War in Heaven was raging around, and I stayed fully independent. As in, sided with neither AE and didn't join the Non-Aligned League either. Then at some point when I deemed the xenophobes sufficiently distracted, I declared war on them with the Containment CB and sucker punched them, since they were conveniently nestled between my territories and their fleets were tied up elsewhere. And when they were vanquished, their thralls immediately became my vassals.

Not that I really mind, but it does strike me as a bit weird.

EDIT: Also the border gore in this galaxy is getting a bit out of hand

Nordick fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 25, 2018

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Xenaero posted:

Is this a mod for borders and empire colors? Or am I just silly?

Yeah it's a mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1506081421

I'm kinda ambivalent about it. On one hand it's a nice change from the usual bright pastel coloured vomit, but on the other hand the different map modes are a bit hard to see with this mod.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

CapnAndy posted:

Are disruptors any good?

I actually haven't really played around with them to give an actually educated response, but I feel like they're pretty niche at best. Armor and shields usually seem to evaporate so fast, it seems to me that eventhough disruptors have a head start on chewing on the hull, the other weapons will just catch up. But this is just my gut feeling on looking at the numbers, anyone who knows better can feel free to chime in.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've been playing one last game before settling down to wait for Le Guin.

It's my first run as a machine intelligence.

I am officially loving done with tiles.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Arglebargle III posted:

This game finally have enough content to be worth playing?

no

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Oh, and that one mod with like a thousand different colors, because two empires sharing the exact same color scheme makes me irrationally angry.

I used to use that as well, for the same reason, but then I downgraded to one with fewer colours, because with the full spectrum one everything just ended up being various pastel shapes and I hated that too.

Unrelated: I just had an awakened empire experience a machine uprising. The machines are Exterminators. I find this inexplicably amusing.
EDIT: Scratch that, apparently the uprising happened for one of their signatories, but the game decided to name the resulting war after the awakened empire.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 30, 2018

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
God the galaxy in this current game of mine is a hilarious mess.

So after I ganked the xenophobe awakened empire and mysteriously received their thralls as my vassals (still dunno what the gently caress was up with that), the War in Heaven has been dragging on between the xenophile AE and their signatories, and the Non-Aligned League. And just now I decided I want some of my neighbours' poo poo, and declared war on them. They're one of the signatories of the xenophiles, so the AE obviously joined the war in their defence.... but the rest of the signatories did not.

Consequently, I just waylaid a fleet of my neighbour's that was being followed by a huge gaggle of the other signatories' fleets, who just stood by picking their noses and watched as I tore one of their allies' fleets to shreds. :allears:

Meanwhile the Prethoryn are gobbling up one of the Non-Aligned League's members, but they're pretty far from any of my territories so I can't be arsed to help.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

VostokProgram posted:

I think the theory was that the generator had put the objective there because it was including gateway and wormhole traversal in the distance calculation

Nah, that specific event just always spawns the drat thing in the middle of nowhere.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

LordMune posted:

If someone could point us to the title/description text/event ID this should be a quick fix!

I seem to remember it's in the event log as "The Xvan Labs". Every time I've gotten it it's been pretty early in the game, before I've had even the experimental subspace navigation tech. By the time I could otherwise make the trip it's always swallowed by some asshat's territory where I don't have border access.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

LordMune posted:

Fixed it, it'll be in 2.2. Turns out we did do a careful check for any viable asteroids very close by, then grabbed a completely random asteroid to actually put the special project on. Because our scripting language is just that good.

Cheers mate :toot: Glad to hear I wasn't talking out of my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
While we're talking about text chunks, are we ever gonna get a species bio window with at least the most basic formatting features, like line changes?

I mean I know that I can do that stuff by editing the .txt, but that's a bit of a silly chore and it often screws with how the bio displays in-game.