Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Alright, I suppose she had to let go at some point... I'm having a helluva time not picking the Venerable trait, and later on Robust, even if I'm a spiritualist. It's just so nice not having to worry about your scientists keeling over, mostly in the early to mid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Uhg sounds like a bit of a mess right now. Hoping we get some balance/improvements to diplomacy in the short term and hopefully a big overhaul in the next major expansion.

It seems though in the current system that liberation wars should be an option for anyone, and targeted at anyone with a different ideology. The current rival system is not great right now either because so many features and factions trigger based on rivals, but in most games I've played I've had absolutely no possible rival options. I know they're trying to keep wars and diplomacy more "local" but they need to take into account vassals and other federation members for who is a "neighbour" and maybe toss the minimum power balance levels to become a rival.

I think there's already some little mods out there that address this, I think I'll look for some that eliminate some of the restrictions around rivals.

I've never bothered with federations involving the AI, but you can rival things next to your vassals, no problem.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

It must not count for tributaries then, only proper full vassals?

That could be it, I wouldn't know.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Can vassals claim systems or do I need to build outposts and gift them?

Only if you're using the Feudalism civic.

Staltran posted:

I can rival my tributaries's neighbors just fine. Are you sure they're actually neighbors?

Yeah, make sure they're actually touching hyperlanes. Simply having them blob up next to each other doesn't count.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Vassals absolutely claim systems but I have no idea how that ends up working in a war.

Also I think my rivalry problem is that every empire outside of the couple fallen empires averages out to pathetic or inferior. It's not my fault the universe is filled with underdeveloped nations, but I still want to force ideology on them!

Oh? What's the point of Feudalism, then?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

There certainly needs to be a way to force a vassal to revoke claims in your territory. Maybe it requires you to be Overwhelming compared to them or something, but it's something that needs to happen. I have a vassal who's -500 because of claims.

I've been eating my vassals, then spitting them out and feeding them their own territory for a massive opinion boost.

This resets their claims, your threat and any malus from having been fighting. It helps with the -50 (now -75!)% influence cost reduction tradition thingie.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 1, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

If I wasn't already feeling constantly Influence-starved I might give that a try.

Another reason why I'm having trouble letting go of my spiritualist/authority/militarist build. I should probably ditch militarist, but I need it for my crusader fetish.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The beta does some weird stuff with my save, but that last one is especially kind of annoying.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You can trade a couple of research points for free use of an extra fleet and/or the cost of rebuilding stations and maintaining that fleet...

Whazzat?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

So it seems to be that I can't claim -any- systems. That's... Kind of limiting.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

What are your ethics?

Authoritarian/Militarist/Spiritualist, I did check if the computer decided to screw around with my war policies, but nope.

E:

I also can't rival this particular FE, so I can't even use my super weapon CB against them. I can rival the FE on the other side of the galaxy just fine.

EE:

Okay, so with a colossus you can no longer make claims. That's fine and all, but when you can't rival them either, then you're just stuck. And they're not declaring on me, even after failing two of their missions and a ton of insults.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 2, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

ulmont posted:

Can't you use the Conquest CB even without a claim if you have a colossus?

No CBs, no way to get 'em, either.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Goodie.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Splicer posted:

Yeah, I frequently want it but don't want to spend a slot on a number go up. In my ideal world I'd have Tech Ascendancy give you the sensor boost from EE and have EE's kicker be a higher chance to roll exotic tech + a 25% research boost on exotic tech only.

I want an ascendancy that grants a higher chance for maniacal scientists and dangerous tech to show up.

Also, more dangerous tech in the game.

E:

I stole hyperdrives from a fungus race of inward perfectionists, who didn't use it... What I shame I don't have such scruples!

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 3, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Huh. When I tried it a few months ago, I wasn't able to. I'll try again!

You can, but I also wish you could just change your vassals' names, period. Flags and colours, too.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The dreadnought is great cos you can totally gank it with like 10k worth of torpedo corvettes.

When I got the Dreadnought in 2.0, it had a "bio-engine" or somesuch, with no bonus to sublight speed. Has that always been a thing? It's a bit sad that you can't upgrade it, making it useless in any midgame+ fleet that needs to move. It has a hyperdrive, but yeah.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

ulmont posted:

Only if Space Japan is your rival. If Space Japan is less than "Inferior" you can't do anything at all since you can't make claims.

Can't wait for next week's (hopefully) patch to fix that.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

How do I build dyson spheres and sentry arrays? an icon doesn't show up on the star.

Are you already building or restoring a galactic wonder elsewhere?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm still mucking around with Victoria 3 and have started fiddling with the UI tiles that everything is displayed on. I like the look so far, but I don't trust my own sense of aesthetics.

Does this look too busy or ugly or erratic?

Reminds me of Might and Magic VI store screens, I approve.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Libluini posted:

(But I have to confess, this ongoing hunt to clear the space lanes for civilization is kind of fun, if a bit tedious)

I actually thought that was how the new pirates were supposed to be like. Having to keep patrolling the badlands for pirate activity instead of them just poofing into existence.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Sindai posted:

They said they're going to keep adding stuff to the 2.0.2 beta until they're happy with it, especially in regards to war exhaustion and peace.

I can't really play until they give me my CBs back. :(

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Game just hardlocked when I tried to disband a fleet, because it kept thinking I wanted to add a corvette design that wasn't there anymore. :(

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Tomn posted:

The victory conditions in Stellaris are a joke and not worth trying to achieve except as a completionist thing or if you happen to be really close already by accident.

That being said, now that war has been focused down on, I would really like to see some more improvements to pacifist play so that you actually have worthwhile options for interacting with the world other than war. Actual non-conquest-based victory conditions would just be the cherry on top.

There's the one where everyone has to be in the same federation, at least?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Determined Exterminators don't have that problem.

Or be authoritarian and stick all those negative Nancies in the mines!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

pmchem posted:

I just found a star system named Covfefe in game, heh.

I always change that to something else, waging war if I have to. I don't wanna be reminded of how terrible things are in my space purging simulator.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Just give it back to them for free.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Haha it's really amazing just how quickly the galaxy turns on you if you murder billions of people.

It's the darndest thing.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Am I doing it wrong when picking the genetic route as spiritualists? I just really, really like tailoring every race to have a specific purpose (and make my serfs more compliant).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Staltran posted:

If you can keep your spiritualist faction consistently >=60% happy without psionics, going genetic seems 100% fine to me.

That's what the caste system is for!

E:

I have such a hard time not being an Authoritarian; it's just so neat being able to throw dissenters down in the mines. :allears:

Also, starting with a race of slaves is also fantastic for.. Delegating civic responsibilities.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 11, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Fanatic Authoritarian is so good I'd be tempted to nerf it slightly, possibly cutting the influence gain in half.

It's really good, yes. Or maybe too many of the others aren't good enough?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Nightgull posted:

It’s this. Egal especially.

The ones furthest away from "murderous warlords" are the weakest ones, funnily enough. Unless you cheese Pacifism.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Xenophile really needs better diplomacy to be worthwhile. It's fun for RP but not much else.

Maybe a shared tech centre, where your scientists could cooperate or something.

But that's probably not xenophile material. Just sounded like a neat idea to me.

E:

I've never really liked how you end up with all the unity idea groups. You only pick when, not what you get.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Authoritarian is the best voice.

You can't go wrong with robot Sindri Myr.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Slave market :aaa:

Holy crap.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I've always wanted to peddle my nerve stapled, delicious and fertile meat canisters to the true connoisseurs.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Has anyone here had success with Barbaric Despoilers? Their raiding stance seems really lacklustre to me, since you lose migrations and could just eat the planet the normal way. It's a shame when the RP is so strong in this one.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Black Pants posted:

I have, though I did it largely for the RP of being a complete rear end in a top hat, along with taking the biological ascension path. You're not a full genocidal empire, but you're kinda leaning that way, and so it creates a situation where you need to deal with people generally not liking you but not -1000 opinion's worth of not liking you, which creates challenges to deal with - other empires declaring wars of ideology against you for example. Also I don't really like playing wide, so I found the idea of abducting slaves back to my few core systems to be fun.

That's one of my issues - if you're going biomancy, you can just create your own tailor-made pops. Getting more people is nice, but you're still burning time modeling them into what you need, and you kill a civic for it. Next DLC is gonna be supremely interesting for this.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Black Pants posted:

You can steal cyborg and psionic pops though.

Oh, that's neat. Still, the -50 opinion with everyone is kind of rough at the beginning. I like picking stuff like Charismatic, just to buy myself more time.

Black Pants posted:

There is, it's the construction ships still sitting out in the middle of nowhere.

Auto-exploration is a good start, but we're still missing auto-building science/mining bases.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

If I can be an empire of crusading, art-obsessed religious lunatics I will be so happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Isn't that what spiritualist/militarists normally are?

But now they can create art as an actual resource, possibly!