Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
For anyone worried about the influence cost to abandon a colony, I noticed that in my current game if I disabled all jobs on a planet (I did this on planets I inherited from a vassal for various strategic reasons), literally every pop eventually migrated off of the planet and abandoned the colony for me for free. Was kind of neat, as I assumed that I would have had to manually resettle the last pop away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Yami Fenrir posted:

Both standard empires and gestalts have jobs they absolutely want to micromanage. Usually amenity related if you have any traits that change job weights (such as my example with researchers on a ringworld earlier), just clerks in general, or maintenance drones on gestalts (you get far too many and they very quickly give you zero output at all due to the cap involved)

The thing I really, really, really want for gestalt empires is a button that favorites maintenance drones just up to the point where amenities are >0. Honestly, the AI could use the exact same button to perform much better, so it's not something that would be wasted as a player only function.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, but loving around with Maint Drones is 90% of what I do on planets playing my DA game, so it would be well worth it. Basically I hit Favourite on them and then adjust job slots until I have a small net positive. I'm sure this could be automated or at least reduced to a one click order. If I could just have that and a bit of a bias towards jobs the planet gives a bonus to, I'd have a much better time playing.

This. And again, the AI is hit hard by this too; either they have way too many maintenance drone jobs, and thus are leaving resources on the table, or they have too few, stability tanks, and they are leaving resources on the table. It's something that would really help both players and the AI, and should be something that the player doesn't have to worry about.

Really that's one of the problems with amenities in general. MoO handled maintenance with the ecology slider, and there were very simple ways to set that slider to the minimum (and excess on the slider grew pops anyway, so it wasn't wasted). Stellaris makes the basic maintenance jobs very complicated, and in the process it requires way too much micro to get the amenities into the right place, since extra amenities jobs are worth so much less than other jobs.

The game really badly needs a pass on how amenities work and are handled by the AI, and an automatic "hey, get these to >0" setting that the AI always uses and is on by default would go a long way towards making the game better, and allow players to focus on overall decisions about minerals/energy/food/alloys/etc. rather than micro busywork of freeing up a half-dozen pops from being maintenance drones that aren't needed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Splicer posted:

I like amenities as a non-hive mind and I wish there were more variety. I think that's part of the problem with hive minds, the things that make amenities do nothing but make amenities so there's no thinking, just busywork.

Amenities can be good, and it's great that there's flavor for things like duelists and temples and other such things. The problem is that amenities are either incredibly potent or not that great, depending on how many amenities you need. This winds up with some jobs just not being worth using unless you need their amenities. The net result is a lot of micro for the player, and a lot of wasted potential for the AI. A setting that automates the feathering of amenities would go a long way towards improving planet management for AI controlled colonies and sectors.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

oh, i thought that stuff was planned for a later patch.

i like the Dick growth curve (:v:) but pop builder buildings are silly and detract from the game i think. they make every stupid useless planet too useful and they're a bunch of dumb repetition to set up.

demolish all the useless poo poo including the districts, build a non-upgraded pop builder building and nothing else, turn off every job but assembler. your three assemblers will sit there making new pops for a trivial cost, and the new pops will migrate to one of your stacked lab/alloy/energy planets. this is, AFAICT, just the way you play machine civs now.

And hive minds, though you're building a spawning pool and a cloning facility.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Nah unification has always been a boring origin and frankly isn't very good

Prosperous unification is fine, but really boring. Having more pops and districts from the word go means that you have a small advantage that will compound into a faster expansion, more resources, a faster colonization, etc. There are better origins, and there are worse origins, but it's a solid one to pick.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I had been getting into the habit of conquering a planet, disabling the jobs, and then letting the pops migrate off as they get assimilated. If they're going to make the auto-resettlement take forever, can we at least get a button that lets us forcibly auto-migrate pops? I don't want to scroll through my list of planets to figure out which ones have a few job openings, and a button that lets me pay energy and get the pops off of the planet and into a productive job immediately would be very helpful from a micro reduction perspective. As it stands, I'm happier to just raiding bombard pops because they get assigned throughout the empire rather than conquer/resettle just because it's less work on my end.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Ah ok, I'd played other games with the beta but I guess this is the first one I'd started with the beta.

Still though, that seems like a really low growth cap...

You can also change the impact that additional pops have on the growth required to make a new pop. From what I understand, the base change is that growth is lowered, but the growth required per pop was also lowered by default. You can change both settings and tweak them to your preferences.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Warmachine posted:

These dickheads JUST finished lambasting me for becoming robots, and now they're all like "you found some dead guy's head take our holy world and some pops."

It'd be fun if this support of a synth empire by a fallen spiritualist empire started a schism event chain where two halves of the empire start a civil war, awaken, and start a war in heaven that drags in the rest of the galaxy as they try to convert everyone to their way of thinking.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

I'm skeptical. Is there a 4X game with an AI that even slightly threatens being too good at managing its economy? Has such a game ever existed?

The closest example I can think of is how TW games annoyingly like to place armies one pixel out of reach because they can see exact movement ranges and you can't, but the TW AI's economy in recent games is a basket case without high difficulty boosters.

Master of Orion. Granted, the economy is trivially easy to run, and the AI does get bonuses on higher difficulties, but that's kind of the point.

I know I'm a broken record on the topic, but there's a good reason for it. AI automation is basically required for late game 4X play to not be a slog. The AI needs to be able to run colonies halfway decently, or the player needs to be able to queue up a full planet or a planet template and then leave that planet alone once you're at the 10+ colony mark.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

At this point, you know what you must do. The galaxy will burn for what it did to poor Bubbles!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Warmachine posted:

The president of the company I work for has been quoted saying, "Bug fixes don't sell software." This is probably indicative of the attitude of the money side of the software industry as a whole.

My response to this is "Broken software actively loses customers," but the guy hasn't said the trigger phrase in an earshot of me so I haven't been able to fall on my sword over this yet.

I'd make it a bit shorter - "Bugs lose customers" is pretty much all you need to say.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Libluini posted:

Also I just realized there's a hole in our hive line-ups: Normal hives don't have equivalents to rogue servitors and assimilators. Someone should do something about this, Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a thing, after all

Forgotten Queens does this. You've got a rogue servitor equivalent, an origin that automatically assimilates all other species, and a xenomorph equivalent that converts organic pops into its own pops via facehugger.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Warmachine posted:

How does a retrovirus even work on a robot?

Computer virus :v:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Having a random factor in your research can absolutely be done successfully, see Alpha Centauri or Sword of the Stars. But the Stellaris devs clearly didn't manage it for this game, which doesn't mean it can't be done in a hypothetical Stellaris 2. Not that I have a lot of confidence that they will accomplish it, but it is a possibility.

Hell, MoO has research randomly not exist, which incentivizes you to go to war with or spy on other empires in order to fill in gaps in your tech tree.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SirTagz posted:

It Is from MOO 1 indeed.
And it was occasionally frustrating but mostly really great.

Understandable though how reading about it and not experiencing it makes it sound awful.

And adding on to this, stealing technology is expected and straightforward in MoO 1. You take technologies when invading enemy worlds with intact infrastructure, and espionage is straightforward and a very normal way to get techs from enemies.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

Corvettes don't gently caress around. They are very, very, very underestimated. At the rear end-end of the tech tree you're looking at a swarm of micro-ships with 90%+ evasion and just enough of a force-multiplier to make their pea-shooters a very serious threat. Battleships are great and all but even Leviathans and Fallen/Awakened Empires will fall before the Fuckload of Corvettes tsunami. They're excellent from day 1.

The biggest issue I've seen with them is attrition. Your battleships will rarely die (unless you're up against L-Gate enemies that can one-shot them through hull damage with their spinal guns), but corvettes will die by the dozens even if you win. I'm also not sure how well they stack up against strike craft either.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Pretty lame that you can’t become the crisis as an inward perfection empire!!

You could probably use the worm to become militaristic, and then from there jump into the crisis? You already have xenophobe as part of inward perfection.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Fur20 posted:

how do i beat AIs that corvette spam in the mid game? i stop building corvettes and make bigger ships by the midgame but i attacked a fairly small and weak empire (on paper) and then they showed up with 200 fuckin t2 corvettes which completely shredded my t5 fleet :psyduck:

and this is on captain with low AI aggressiveness!

What type of ships were you using? Pure artillery isn't gonna do well against them because large weapons have poor tracking. Strike craft will do much better, but then you've got the issue of them potentially having PD, so you might need a lot of strike craft to make it work.

Also, what was the fleet power of each fleet? If their number was higher, that doesn't bode well for you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Red Crown posted:

Skull :frogdunce: I was looking for its fleet power and it took me just an extra second to realize the skull meant fleet power :smith:

Oh, yeah, don't gently caress with leviathans until you are good and ready. The Curators can tell you how you stack up against various beasties and give you a nice damage bonus if you ask politely (i.e. with generous bribes grants).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I'm a little worried about what they're talking about with respect to research districts and habitats/ringworlds. I'd like them instead to turn more buildings into districts. Give every planet access to research districts, with some planets getting bonuses to different types of research, and with supporting buildings that buff them in ways similar to the current alloy foundries, mineral purification plants, etc.

If they're really worried about tech speed, then they need to change how research works entirely and change it to a logarithmic curve or give empires that are behind in research major bonuses to researching technology based on what everyone else has researched. Kind of similar to how EUIV can have gaps in technology, but those who are behind have a much easier time catching up, and those who are ahead have a very difficult time getting even further ahead.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Splicer posted:

I tend to play medium maps so I turn them off, also I like the intergalactic caravan dudes.

I turn off the caravan dudes for the sole reason that they sometimes would get stuck on the edge of my empire trying to path into a hostile area. They would then enter my empire, trigger their dialogue (and even if I wanted what they were selling I could only buy it once anyway), and then leave to go straight into the hostiles again. Repeat ad nauseum until I get tired of the pop ups and kill either them or the hostiles (or both).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I still think that the population growth should be preserved as the planet capacity is reached, but that instead of losing growth, that growth is converted into migration. It's worth noting that we're talking about billions of sentient beings on each planet; some fraction of them migrating as more are born and die makes thematic sense when there are new territories to go to.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kaal posted:

I tend to use Flak Cannons on my picket destroyers, and Point Defense on my carrier cruisers. The idea behind mostly using energy weapons is that you can focus all of your research and upgrades on a single weapon system. Energy weapons have the added benefit of dealing more damage to hull, which means you're more likely to kill a ship outright.

Energy also has the benefit that Physics has the least # of repeatable techs and a relatively small # of techs to begin with. I usually end up with the repeatables in Physics long before Society, and usually at least a decade before Engineering.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

And, to be fair, menacing corvettes are quite good. You take a lot of losses, but it's just minerals, and even better than that, from the last time I used them, I recall that they always just cost minerals, even if you throw in some exotic shields/thrusters/whatever that should cost rare resources.

I've also gotten in the habit of throwing afterburners on everything that can accept afterburners because fast fleets are fun fleets to use, and the advantage of getting around space in a timely fashion cannot be understated.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

You have 3 100k+ fleets and a surplus of population...

Sounds like you need to go on a conquering spree and take someone else's planets!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jazerus posted:

they need to be able to go to war with people that they are victimizing, first and foremost. i wouldn't put my offices on people that i like (well, maybe their homeworlds...) if i could use them offensively.

Splicer posted:

What if they had access to normal branch offices in situations where a regular megacorp would? That would give them a "friendly" way to interact with people and an additional way to "combat" them. Maybe they still add a minor amount of crime (5 or 10 or whatever) but it's still preferable and gives you an incentive to still want to take them down when you can.

Then add a full space mafia unity tree or ascension perk for people who want to go all in on being Crimes, Inc.

I like the ideas here. A carrot and stick approach where if you're friendly and have a commercial pact with the criminals you get the normal benefits (maybe slightly stronger buildings with a small bit of crime), and if you're not friendly then it becomes an offensive weapon to hurt your opponents with. It'd make a lot of sense too, as you could then operate either legitimate business or "legitimate" business.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

nuketulsa posted:

Despite like 700hrs in this game I've never touched MegaCorps.

So basically..

I'm going to keep my empire small
I'm going to subsidize the weak
Give me trade value bastards
Have a nice little fleet

Is that about right? I remember clerks got nerfed then they became amazing two patches ago perhaps?

You want to form a trade federation ASAP. It lets you get both unity and CG from trade value, which you will have quite a bit of as a megacorp.

A small empire isn't too important though, unless you feel like doing it for roleplaying reasons.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Also a reminder that, according to Stefan, you can run a 52 mineral/month trade and it'll keep the price basically constant. Really helps out with early mineral income woes to jump-start mining/research stations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Is it better to just stick to one tree once you start it, or is it fine to dabble in 2 at the same time? I've been going Discovery first for the survey speed perk, then going Expansion to completion, and then back to Discovery afterwards, but I'm wondering if I should concentrate on getting my Ascenion perk as soon as possible.

Iirc unlocking new trees makes each pick more expensive, so you ideally finish 1 at a time. Also, both the capstones and ascension perks are quite strong.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Bremen posted:

I agree that the trade system isn't super interesting, but shuffling some elements of it off to a tradition tree dedicated to the trade system seems like a win win to me - if you want to specialize in it you take the tree, if not you don't and you're not out much, and it makes tradition choice more interesting.

Worth noting that specializing in trade can be really strong now too. Getting one merchant per commercial zone means that you can turn building slots into huge amounts of energy and unity (first two perks are slow, then the rest snowball hard from there), and then you can form a merchant federation to turn that further into an excess of consumer goods as well. Granted, they're not minerals or alloys, but freeing up your literally everything other than merchants to devote themselves to that makes for a fairly strong foundation.

If you go xenophile, from there you can make lots and lots and lots of friends, as most empires will value your strong commercial pacts.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

11,000 posts later, I return to stellaris and this thread. stuff has changed, though not too dramatically, it seems.

one thing I'm not sure I like is the pop growth scaling thing. sure I've conquered half the galaxy, but now my pops take like a hundred months to grow each one, and there doesn't seem to be a way to make it much faster beyond everything I've already gotten. even with all the pop growth buffs the growth rate is only like 6.5 a month, requiring 567.5 for each new pop.

at least I don't need to worry about food, alloys, or society research basically ever

You can turn off the pop growth scaling in the options, but be warned that the lag would get absolutely nuts as your pops continue to increase at an increasing rate.

The game really, desperately, needs to stop modeling pops as individuals and instead track groups of pops. The whole point of people being interested in pops for stuff like Victoria is seeing how those groups of population are faring and how, say, there's a growing spiritualist faction inside of a materialist empire that is starting to agitate for change, rather than just having X individual spiritualist pops who are maybe slightly less happy.

I keep harping on this, but Distant Worlds, Master of Orion, and Sword of the Stars all got the economic side of pops correct, where you can have hundreds of planets with relatively little lag.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Senethro posted:

Holy poo poo Merchant Guild Void Dwellers are crazy. I'm keeping pace with Commodore Starnet (at least so far). Nearly everyones a Merchant or a Specialist and by buying up too many alloys I've overexpanded to new habitats and the alloy upkeep is killing me!

You definitely want to diversify. I start out by making my starting non-cap habs into trade habs, then start getting things like a dedicated alloy hab, mining habs, etc. Pure energy hits diminishing returns when prices skyrocket.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah diversification is key. I think I put three Commercial Zones on each starting hab. Cap hab does research, mineral hab does minerals, and energy hab converts to industry. Each hab gets a robot building and an alloy building. First hab that I build is over minerals and becomes my Bureaucrat hab (but still gets three Commercial Zones).

The reason I make my two starting non-cap habs into trade habs is that you can get a nice monthly trade for minerals and alloys (something like 52 minerals and 12 alloys each month without raising the price? need to experiment more), and the trade habitat designation adds 25% trade value. So the first bits of extra energy you get are easily efficiently converted into better resources. Unity is also most valuable really early on to get those critical first traditions (arguably especially a trade federation). The next habitats built are then great to diversify with to get more alloys, minerals, research, etc.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Serephina posted:

Counterpoint: If you want your precursor event chain to finish in a time frame where the reward is still relevant, you need to start researching all the 8+ ones asap.

To be fair, you often don't even find enough of those anomalies to spawn them in anyway, which makes things even worse.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Yeah I know this has been a point of contention here before, but without more impactful missions I really don't know why it exists. A bunch of posters said they didn't want more impactful missions, though, so I guess the devs are kinda stuck if that's a reasonably common position for players to have. Having some cool new espionage missions get unlocked by completing the subterfuge tree would be cool; at least that way it would only be a few players in each game with the capability to do it, but as it is that whole tree is a waste of time.

It's because if you let the AI have access to espionage that has strong impacts, then it will constantly spam that against the player. If that causes permanent damage, such as destruction of a building or starbase module, now the player has to pay an attention tax to find exactly which building or module was destroyed, and then replace it manually, which is bothersome at best, and infuriating at worst.

I'd rather have a toothless and largely pointless espionage system than a system that makes me constantly rebuild poo poo or otherwise charges an irritating attention tax. It's similar to criminal megacorps - I can go through and balance crime on every world that gets a crime thingy, or I could just go blow them the gently caress up and annihilate them off the face of the map so that I don't have to bother.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm currently heading a federation with a 40-year succession term. but it seems like it never triggered changing to the next empire to lead?

I mean, I'm not complaining, I'm working my way towards total control of the federation eventually since I'm like 5x as powerful as everyone else in it combined, but I'm curious why it's not switched presidency yet.

You're at war. The federation leader cannot change during a war.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Splicer posted:

That would fall under "weird shenanigans" while also resulting in the possibility of doubled empires spawning unless you clear down the default empires. Also this is in the context of talking about Stellaris having an out of the box IP to give a feeling of continuity (oh it's those guys again they killed me last game get hosed assholes) and I was pointing out that they kinda started doing that with the predefined empires and then screwed it up in the weirdest way possible.

Yeah, one of the biggest strengths of MoO is that you start to actually engage with the Klackons or Darlocks, or whatever. It's easy to tell one from another, their diplomacy tends to be similar from game to game, and they generally get some personality. In Stellaris, empires, while incredibly unique on an individual level and from game to game, feel very generic when you're playing because you just can't be bothered to give a gently caress about who is who beyond if they're a genocidal empire, or some special flavor of gestalt or megacorp.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Functional architecture was only really super powerful for habitats though? It's a weird decision to nerf it, because it's only really, really strong if you're building habitats. Otherwise it's a decent, but rather boring bonus.

If they want more civics to be represented, they need to make a niche for them, and/or buff them to the point where they can be the center of a playstyle. For instance, Environmentalist might be a powerful bonus in that I need to employ fewer CG producers, but no matter how powerful the bonus, it's boring, and it doesn't fundamentally change my playstyle. On the other hand, Masterful Crafters solves the problem from a different angle (CG producers are stronger and more interesting) in a way that transforms the empire and adds interesting flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I'd actually like to see something more similar to genetics for government. Have X points to play with, with major changes, like Fanatic Purifier, cost more, and incidental buffs, like Environmentalist, be the equivalent of a 1 point perk. Could do some neat things where civics that are aligned with your ethics cost less, etc. Alternately, slots for major, moderate, or minor civics, with the potential for different government types to have different slots (and maybe upgrading the government over time).

That way you have design space for the lovely civics to thrive in - the little edge things that define your society as being slightly leaning in one direction or another.