Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I own Stellaris but none of the DLC.

Am I going to have a good time, or will it be Civ V without the expansions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Samopsa posted:

The core new mechanics of each patch are free, the dlc adds some (admittedly very cool) bonus stuff basically. I'd say about 15 to 20% of total content is locked behind dlc, the rest is base game.

Play a single full game before buying the dlc imo. Start with utopia if you do want to buy dlc, followed by synthetic dawn if you like robbits and apocalypse if you like massive doomsday weapons. The rest of the dlc are smaller in scope.

This is extremely helpful, thank you. Stellaris reinstalled.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/967374213345660928

:allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Node posted:

I'm new to this game and was told to wait for this patch before playing it. It sounds like there are a lot of issues. Will I get too confused at stuff that might be broken, and should wait for another patch instead?

I played it for two hours recently and didn't see any problems. You're probably good, go have fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

....So... I lost the game, because the federation I willingly joined, conquered most of the universe. Because it wasn't my founded federation, I didn't win the game.

What? How is that so - so counter-intuitive?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sindai posted:

Wiz hasn't had time to fix the game-end conditions yet so just ignore them.

:sigh:

I'm coming to really like this game, but it's just not done yet, is it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Basically.

I mean, they've basically ripped out half the game and reworked(Starports, Hyperlane Only, Natural Wormhole, Gateways, weapon/armour system rework, mass tradition changes related to all the above). So we've effectively back in beta, yet we're paying for that privilege. Non-functioning AI, horrific bugs that turn up suddenly(See the recent mess with 2.03).

It was a big thing to do, I imagine, even from their own side. But I also am....annoyed. I'm not a 'RUINED FOREVER' kind of guy, no matter how I feel about Wormholes. But this isn't great. It probably will be....when it's done. If it's done.

On the one hand, I'm impressed at how much fun the game is to play - I picked it up a year ago and didn't care for it, ish. Now I've actually finished a game (on a tiny map) and had a good time.

On the other hand, it needs an EA stamp, because it's just not done and having the game end like that after 10+ hours was... it's a sour spot.

Also next game I'm going to go hardcore war again, now that I've got a better grasp of things, and see if I can't enjoy the tactical game - especially when FTL inhibitors are involved!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

There is an achievement for winning the game, and I want it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you play the game at all you'll check off that chevo eventually. It's really not a hard one to get.

If you really want to cheese it just set up a tiny map on the easiest difficulty with a devouring swarm and knock it out in a couple hours.

I'll give that a go, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I wish you could attach troops to fleets, treat them like equipment. It'd be less finicky to manage, and then it'd fit better with the orbital bombardment and troop deployment and so on.