Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Oh cool, accidentally surrendered instead of conquered the pathetic/pathetic/pathetic empire.

Woops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

That was roughly my expression as I alt-f4'd out of the game.

Time to start a new one anyway, it was essentially won and with the update it slowed to a crawl.

I see why people play on .25 habitable worlds now. My computer is far too old to handle large/1x/12 empires.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

benzine posted:

Also after diving into the forum, it seems the slowdown is because pops are changing factions.....every single day.

Edit:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/2-7-1-a5aa-performance-bug-with-faction-calculation.1389613/

Just showing the DLC that you don't have..

Hah I wondered why the election page was bouncing around.

(Please tell me this won't take them long to fix I need a distraction I can pick up and leave when I need a break and I don't want to find a new game again.)

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Would it really be that difficult to have basic ship templates for the ai to use - like don't combine low damage, shield and armour ignoring disruptors with other weapons on the same ship?

This really feels like something that shouldn't have to be modded in.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I hit my storage limit on food, so I dumped it on a fallen empire in a total of about 1.5k food per month (it made me do that in 3 trades).

I had just finished with the other fallen empire and was retrofitting with dark matter, so after about 3 years of that I attacked.

The deal didn't end until they were eliminated despite being at war for a number of months.

Also it's been a while since I played last and goddamn how is there still not a marker for gateway construction sites? Why can't I see a megastructure marker and a wormhole marker on the same system? Those UI things really take away from the game.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I keep clicking on the notification and expecting it to take me there.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I should be able to set species templates that auto update each new population as I conquer or they immigrate/whatever. Planet/world type specific if I want.

Just tax the society research a bit for each pop.

Having to go through each of 12 species plus integrated/event/uplifted makes it a grind that it really doesn't have to be (new slogan).

For my current game I think I'll give up on managing expansion and just plow through a populous neighbour and fully resettle them onto a few ring worlds. See how far I can get into the repeatables before the crisis.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

I've read guides, expanded to one of two colony worlds (lol it's a shithole my assholes hate because they're cold blooded and it's an icy desert), but there are just so many numbers. I'm playing on the second easiest difficulty and just seeing what happens but wow this is an unfriendly ui.

You are not wrong, it's an unfriendly and often opaque UI.

I think I will have taken over the galaxy before the endgame crisis hits on my current game (highest difficulty, but odd start that took a while to realize had given me a huge section of the galaxy to start due to fallen empire placement). The most dangerous part is upkeep from forgetting to scrap new starports.

Could've done this earlier but :effort:

Possible spoiler I think killing the enigmatic fortress too quickly bugs it out so it endlessly restarts (i.e. before the first part can finish). I am about 30 deep into the repeatables for energy and hit it with about a million total fleet power. Woops.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I ultimately finished it as well but those popups were a pain and I needed to set the science ship to passive because it would constantly respawn before anything could finish (but would allow the active project to continue).

Aaaand that bug goes back to like 2017 based on search results.

Hmm should probably refit my ships with the decoder... but I'll miss the extra afterburner. I turned up the endgame crisis strength to 5x and I don't know how much that is since I haven't bothered to finish a game in a long time so I should probably optimize.

It's gonna be a wet fart based on the state of the galaxy I suspect.

There really is a lot I like about this game, just a lot of quality of life improvements that seem incredibly obvious too.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Why does it give the agenda "slave optimizations" to leaders in empires that can't have slaves.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

As I recall it actually won't, but slavery has to actually be outlawed. Not having any slaves at the moment is not sufficient.

I started a game with one in an empire that lacks the prerequisite ethics for slavery, so it starts off outlawed.

Come to think of it, on the elections I've never seen it come up, so it must be that it's not checking on game generation.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Just keep in mind that for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to make it so that pops can't take a lower status job for a certain amount of time after being in a higher status one.

So if you accidentally promote someone, or change your mind a second later, you can end up with long term unemployment.

Fun

Some things are better left abstracted.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm well never had the gray tempest before but 2239 is not a great year for them.

Oops.

I mean they were nowhere near my systems but this is a mess.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

How did someone get 7 L-Gate insights in 39 years of gameplay?

I like science ships :shrug:

This is actually not the earliest I've gotten it open. Getting the friendly nanites is also thoroughly busted, but at least you can just use it as a governor.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
You get to choose which combat or civilian buff you get, or decline after looking at the list (keeping the artifacts instead).

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I just got the last l-gate insight at 2215.02.02 in this game... But I'm going to hold off on opening it this time.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
You actually need to clear all the blockers to make the ecu.

They can be good research worlds (+30% research if you don't make it an ecu) but it's still probably worth transforming it imo. The ecu keeps 15%.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

The Ecu is just as good at research at a Relic world, Ecus have a built in production bonus that is at least equal to the +15% modifier that you lose by restoring it.

There is no good reason not to convert Relic worlds to Ecus.

Don't all relic worlds have a second feature other than the central spire that adds another 15%? The ruins that add lab jobs.

Regardless, yeah, it's worth losing the 15% for what you get, unless you won't be able to populate it for a while.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
AI worlds just make me sad.

I don't know enough about programming, so I'm going to assume they can't set templates to use, and then make minor adjustments as needed, at least once they have a few worlds going.

I know they hate changing buildings once they're built.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It would be neat to see the ai pair building changes between worlds when it has the resources to improve - change the admin building on the home world to a forge at the same time they build a new one on a designated bureaucracy world, etc, as needed.

I assume their bonuses make this much more forgiving anyway.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It would be nice to be able to design starbase modules like ships, including a core module.

I think the ai would also be better served if instead of generating ships by whatever algorithm, they simply picked from standard templates based on what they have available. I think it would be too ambitious to have them choose based on what they are facing, but it should use the same type throughout the fleet of course. If their tech is even between types, then randomly picking a fleet weapon composition. And retrofit whenever a new design is picked.

(I have never programmed outside of compsci classes and stats workshops so this may be more complicated than I think)

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I wish I thought of that before starting this game then. Woops.

Can mods like that that only affect ai be activated mid game?

Not a big deal to start fresh but these 11 tomb worlds and trinary black hole are begging me to stick this one out.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a timeframe for that update?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
So if you start with the "on the shoulders" origin, then get the baol precursor close to your home system, the archeology sites can overlap and make one of them inaccessible (on the same planetary body).

Hopefully it will become accessible after the other finishes.

There is also a much smaller bug where it sometimes won't let you start a dig from the map view if there are 2 in the same system and one is already in progress, but you can at least start it by going into the system and clicking on it directly.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

silentsnack posted:

I've had multiple archaeological sites on the same planet before (shortly after that DLC came out) and after the second site spawned the only way I found to access the first was to go through the Situation Log panel and and assign the scientist from the dropdown menu.

Ahh thanks that makes sense

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It's obnoxious that science ships on auto explore will path through not only systems known to have enemies, but also explicitly forbidden systems.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Evasive stance will keep science ships from doing that, which should be on by default. I've never seen a bug that messes with it, except for that one anomaly that gives you a free science ship, which spawns as passive for some reason.

I checked fleet stance - I think it didn't consider it as actually having an enemy since it was historical/ "we previously saw an enemy here" and not an active sensor report.

I tried turning auto explore off and on to update the path -maybe I needed to have the game unpaused to get it to properly update?

I will check these things again when I get a chance though.

I usually run the ships manually to make sure they are spread to out efficiently (or get them past borders before first contact finishes). Maybe I missed one of those things.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

yikes! posted:

they fixed that in the patch today

I saw that and it's a good change, but I don't see how they changed it. Is it one chance per black hole system, per scientist, rolls on a cooldown, etc?

I would guess once per system.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Poil posted:

If you're not in ironman, and don't mind cheating, you should be able to park a science vessel just at the arrival point in a blackhole system and trigger the event with the console command.

I play ironman because I don't like having the temptation to get things "right" (I have ocd so it's a rather strong temptation and makes games unfun), but I've completed the chain previously so I don't mind it being a legitimately pleasant surprise if it pops up.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
There were no changes to map generation were there?

I can't recall ever starting beside a 27 mineral system previously. Maybe just on the far end of lucky?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Regular! 2 habitable worlds, one in my preference category as well (I play with no guaranteed worlds so that's a huge plus).

4x6 minerals, 3 minerals, 2+3 energy, 4 trade. It's a nuts system for an early boost.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Huh that's weird but then that random seed bug was also weird. The only mod I have installed is star tech ai.

Edit: I think governors should require a certain amount of time to reassign.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 15, 2021

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

anomaly.6662 in the survey on_actions. If you have a carbon world or chthonian world it slaps a 6 on it. You may recall a fun 72 hour window where it was applying to a bunch of other modifiers and wiping colonisable planets of all their features :v:

Also keep in mind if you have any +mining% techs then 5s will show up as 6s on the map after you build on them but it's probably the other thing.

I don't think that's what caused it because I had at least a dozen around me, prior to any mining tech. I'll have to open that game again to take a look.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I would honestly rather drag and drop pops moo2 style than have to disable jobs manually until the robot assembly job I favorited starts being worked.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

The Shortest Path posted:

My bad, it's just the Shoulders of Giants and the new Clone Army origins that don't get normal precursors, because part of those origins are story lines about their special precursor civilizations.

Shoulders of Giants does get precursors.

If you get the baol you get an insane number of artifacts between the origin and precursor.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I honestly don't see the problem with taking old default functionality and gating it behind something new. It's just a rebalance to differentiate play styles more.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

The Shortest Path posted:

That's one of the only precursors you're actually likely to finish in a normal game because it doesn't rely on anomaly rng, so go for it. The relic is only gonna be helpful for you if you get other species in your empire through immigration, conquest, etc. but if you do it's very strong. And the modifiers are pretty solid on their own too if you're a hive mind or genocidal or whatever and can't get other pops.

I usually don't have this problem, going with around a dozen science ships*, but I have had the baol spawn behind an isolationist neighbor with no realistic possibility of ever excavating for the first several decades.

*Optimal, no, but I like anomalies and archeology.

Speaking of which it's really nice to have new archeology sites. Have they added or do they plan to add more anomalies?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Deuce posted:

It seems weird to me that a government that defaults to prohibited slavery (fanatic materialist - egalitarian) can start with a ruler that has the "slave optimization" agenda.

Yeah I noticed that a while back and was hoping it would've been fixed when I started playing again.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I wish I could guarantee a mix of empire types.

Way too many corporations, no existential threats.

Edit: I mean I guess I could just force spawn a couple of each type duh. Never used that feature.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm so much for an early Gaia - the final baol site is in the system with the tiyanki matriarch.

I don't remember how much fleet strength I'd need for that - I guess around 20k, more to do it safely? I have access to the curator for the boost.

I am gearing up for a war soonish so that's not too bad, but I'm low on planets in my region so it would've been very nice.