Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Lawman 0 posted:

You gotta show us a diagram my dude.

I only have the faintest of memories of it. This was a scrapped system in a early version of a project I wasn't working on about 6-7 (??) years ago, and I barely know what I did yesterday. IIRC there was like different node techs that unlocked the hexagons of related techs around it.

Also around this point ships were represented by the ascii dwarf faces similar to or from Dwarf Fortress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Staltran posted:

Like the Civ Beyond Earth tech web?

Huh, yeah, a bit, but in a very "first pass by someone not a UX designer" way.

Lawman 0 posted:

Ok now you gotta show us this.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

What is the better way to use assimilated species in a DA build? I'm basically copying Stefan's Driven Assimilator Ringworld start, going with energy focused fast growing Machines alongside a research focused fast growing assimilated species. When I take over another empire's planet or a prewarp species, what do I do with those assimilated pops? Just keep them on their own planets, or steal everyone to focus on maxing out the ringworld? Should I focus on habitability when choosing which assimilated species to colonize planets, ignoring traits, or just stick with my original assimilated species/machines?

I lucked into a start with like 6 planets near my home system and two planets of prewarp species. Neither of those species have good traits (one has 'weak' the other 'slow breeder') but they give me different habitability options. I don't know what to do with them, or just let them sit on their own planets and never touch them again?

It really depends how many planets you have and if the planet is any good or not. Early on if there's not any good modifiers on a planet I'd say take all but one pop to work on your Ringworld (and you don't pay influence to move pops who are being assimilated, besides the final one), and leave the planet to regrow like a fresh colony. Any planet is going to be growing 2 pops at a time so they are nice to have early on, but later when pop growth is slow and you have too many planets to care about I like to move everyone to built up planets and just abandon the world.

When colonizing, it depends on their traits. If they are good at making a basic resource and have a different planet type preference I like to use them as colonizers, but if they either have nothing special or are good researchers/amenity-makers they get shipped to work in the big planets/RW.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

HOW DARE YOU EVOLVE NEXT TO US!

Could be a cool game - they'll execute your leadership, you can evac your pops to a colony and abandon Sol (console yourself some influence, even), then you build up until your can eventually retake your homeworld!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It's my first time playing properly as a Terravore, and it has been a while since I played as a Devouring Swarm so I have some questions/thoughts:

Most of the time but seemingly not every time, when I invade a planet some of my pops just instantly appear there. Is that a thing now? I guess otherwise I'd purge everyone and lose the planet, but then why doesn't it happen every time? Or do I just have really eager to move pops who instantly want to work a fresh planet? I don't have any Transit hubs though, so they are really moving fast if it's that.

At some point I got a modifier on my fleet capacity called Nutrient Arks, giving me a 20% bonus. Does anywhere know where it's from? I don't see it in Empire modifiers or researched techs, nor do I recall getting it from an event.

When I choose to eat other pops during first contact it gives me food, which is not very useful for me as a Lithoid - I think it ight have happened when the other race was a Lithoid too, but I am not 100% on that. Let me chew on their ships for some alloys/minerals, please!

I found it very amusing that the races of the galactic community still sent me an invite to join. Of course, I cannot accept it, but maybe this event could use some different text for the murder empires?

I also became The Crisis for the first time. I was thinking it was taking ages to unlock the first level, so I eventually looked back at the screen (look, I have been at war basically the entire time as my neighbors keep invading) and:

Turns out that the special projects gate your progress. I know the first event mentioned that they progressed the Crisis storyline, but I wasn't clear they they gated the unlocks too. Perhaps there should be an alert when you have enough crisis points to advance by haven't started the special project?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Aha, that's it!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

Inward Perfection sounds like one of the better civics for Become The Crisis

In a world where the devs had more time I would like to imagine less limits on the perk and more Crisis paths when you take it. The current one would stay for genocidal/militarist/xenophobe empires, but:

Inward Perfection? The engine is buildable right away, but costs a lot of basic resources. Dyson spheres/ Matter Decompressors have their limits removed so you can build more and they both can eventually eat their primary to harvest the Dark matter needed. When you ascend only your own systems explode, rest of the galaxy trundles along.

Driven Assimilators don't eat stars or ascend, they just want to assimilate the galaxy. Get to build multiple Colossi with the Assimilation beam. Gain bonuses from assimilating unique races, gathering Distinctiveness. Once they have enough data they are able to build the Engine and assimilate all life through their connection to the shroud. Basically that one Mass effect 3 ending.

Servitors build Pamper-planets, gain bonuses from the % of the galaxy's bio-pops they have on them, and harvest barren planets/pulsars/blackholes for resources. The engine ascends the bio-pops on those planets, but the robots hangs around waiting for new life to evolve to continue their work.

The Blorg alter the fabric of space, reversing the universe's expansion, and sucking everything back into a single point - the ultimate hug.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

LordMune posted:

This is what I was obliquely hinting at when I said to not make too many assumptions based on past development/release cycles. The upcoming Lem update is very much an experiment and we're still finding our footing, but I think there are great things in store for the Custodian team.

That sounds really good, especially if they can also work on longstanding QoL issues such as Starbase management (make templates! auto-rebuild defence platforms/make them get disabled rather than killed! Upgrade all platforms in empire! Don't spam a "Fleet upgraded" message for every single platform), Planet management/marking planets "done" (and buttons to upgrade all buildings on a planet/in the empire), and Species management (please stop auto-moving to 20% hab worlds, let me set migration incentives on some planets, improve the resettlement UI. There's so much stuff that is fine when you have ~5 planets which becomes a terrible chore when you have 50 that makes it difficult to finish games.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Buy more copies when the patch comes out :eng101:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Maybe you guys were discussing this when 3.0 first came out but managing like 70 planets is such a massive pain in the rear end that I got thinking about releasing sectors to be vassals instead since I have megastructures in place anyway for resource generation, and realized: wouldn't this technically reduce my total pop count and therefore lead to lowering the growth ceiling for myself and letting these new vassals start generating pops of my race with the base growth ceiling? Does that sound like a big brain idea?

It would affect your growths as you say, but on the other hand, vassals suck. IMO you just gotta mentally mark most of your planets as "rural" - give them only X jobs and then ignore them, then either manually move, or let the auto-move feature migrate, pops to your "urban" planets where you continually build new jobs. The rural planets exist only for some basic resource into and to sent the pops that grow their off to work in your urban planet factories.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Clarste posted:

I like putting everything on auto except for the few planets I care about. You can mark them as a Mining World or whatever first, and that mostly works these days. Much better than it used to be at least.

You can certainly do that, and if it wasn't for the pop growth changes (or if you turn them off) it would work well enough, but the AI control will try to fill up the planet which isn't really workable with empire-wide growth slowdown. It would be great if there was a "grow to X and then let pops migrate" setting.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I always have a mixed fleet because it feels right to me, although Cruisers do stop being line fighters when I can afford enough Battleships. Sometimes I even make multiple designs of the same type, such as Swarm/Picket/Torpedo Corvettes and Picket/Artillery Destroyers + Line/Carrier Battleships. Sure Corvettes get some attrition but for the most part you can just hit the reinforce button and they'll sort themselves out, and if I have a Juggernaut there's a shipyard along to replace them almost instantly. I normally try to grab systems with Gateways to build my shipyards in if possible too, so reinforcements can start using them as soon as I learn how to use them.

I'll also sometimes have an all Corvette or Corvette/Destroyer fast reaction fleet for catching enemies in a messy border situation. If you are The Crisis then the Menacing ships are especially good for this.

If you want to, or enjoy, have the optimal fleet composition then of course follow the meta, but it's worth noting that you'll probably be fine building whatever you like, at least until a FE awakens or the Crisis hits - but even then it depends. I generally pick a theme for my fleet when I start a game and try to roll with that, although I might change it if I get Null Void beams (my one added weapon!) or Mining Lasers etc, or I may refit to deal with a specific Leviathan if I need to deal with them early.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Not sure if it's known, but PDT is personal development time, so good guy Moah is doing a little extra work on Stellaris there.

I saw a while back Moah was no longer Stellaris Tech lead and is now on a secret project according to his twitter bio! I have to assume it's a new series since all the other titles are known now and I would assume EU5 would be in the Barcelona studio so it is likely be something else.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

pmchem posted:

probably just Stellaris 2

makes sense with Stellaris drifting toward "Custodian" mode

I guess it's possible, but it seems early to me. Stellaris is still getting new content as well as the custodian thing.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
IMO you shouldn't be able to vassal part of a big alliance just by blitzing them, but you should start getting ticking warscore after you occupy most/all of them. If the alliance is able to effectively fight you then you have to keep working at it, if they are just chilling on the other side of the galaxy you tick up to 100% and take them.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

zonohedron posted:

Not only can I not do that, I can't keep them from going "there's no jobs here, but the penal colony on the tomb world has jobs, so let's go there, even though it's named Bad Robot Land and is solely inhabited by robots".

I really hope Lem will put a low habitability block on automigration :ohdear:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Huh. Aside from new Plant and humanoid gameplay I'm not keen on any of that. Yeah, Shattered ring could be toned down and Admin cap could change again and become better somehow, but I'd much rather they focus on the host of smaller issues that make the game become a chore. Of course, they might be doing that too and just aren't talking about it yet, so I'll stay hopeful.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
The real benefit of Caravaneers is the sex-parties and Megacorpse concerts :colbert:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Splicer posted:

I mean I like the other caravan dudes and you can't get them with the caravan country on.

The other guys are the Nomads, it's much less confusing if you call them that :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It's a pretty common feature in most PDS games, in any of the info-modes you can click on someone and see their data. Should work for diplomacy/relations too unless the spy rework has hidden that information.