Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
A bit late to food chat, but i really don't get the issue? My neighbours always help me out when the hive hungers and they have tons of food!

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Weird Star Citizen fan writes weird fan fiction about game, goons find it and run it into the ground while beating its dead carcass for years.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah i like the amount of ships thanks and wouldn't mind even more actually, if the engine permitted it. Space Opera for me is Legend of the Galactic Heroes with fleets of thousands, which makes more sense to me considering the scale of space and planets, not some dinky 20 ships for a huge empire.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

That would be really cool yeah, but I am happy with how Stellaris is doing it right now as well. really looking forward to the next update! Hopefully the update after that will be diplomacy and Federation focused since especially federations really needs an update.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I just migrated a few drones to the planet and some of the captured pops back to my secure planets last time i played Devouring Swarm, usually to their homeworld if I had captured it already so they could see home one last time before being systematically consumed by the swarm. :unsmigghh:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Splicer posted:

Finding a past civilisation's giant dickbutt monuments though, now that's a story.

What if your race ARE the ancient civilizations dickbutt monuement?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How do you say schadenfreude in Swedish?

Skadeglädje(Skada - wound, glädje - joy)

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Nah they should go other route and increase fleetsize. Seriously, a small amount of ships in a game supposed to simulate giant space empires is one of the lamest things, together with "this massive city planet houses over a million souls!!" descriptions.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Devouring Swarm + Rapid Growth trait + Food Trait + Max food to pops + Growth Techs/buildings = Waiting for pops to grow is the last thing i need, i am up to almost 9+/month so one pop takes 11-12 months. Need to constantly hunt for more food though! :getin:

Love the new system, much better and more fun than the old one.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Have anyone else tried to hand sectors over to the AI? I tried with a few of mine but it seems it doesn't do....anything? I have given it over 10k stockpiles and set it to Balanced.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Zane posted:

They do well enough in my experience. They tend to build a balanced proportion of research, manufacturing, resources. But they don't seem to upgrade -- which may be the problem you're having? This sort of makes sense given how swingy the economy can be. But it definitely increases micromanagement.

It was captured planets from enemies. At first I thought it was because I am a Devouring Swarm and the planets had loads of empty jobs and districts after eating everyone. But then I colonized a new planet in the same sector and now, a while later, 11 Scavenger pops, no buildings or districts built. :v:

I guess technicaly, the scavengers ARE working but uuuuh.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Tried a reinstall just to be sure, but still same issue with the sector AI:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Tried modding the sector_focuses file for district_city to a factor of 100 when free_housing < 0 but whelp, AI still don't think a planet with -10 housing needs more city districts :v:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Seems I found out why my sector AI is bugged to hell as a hivemind! In the files, a normal empires city district is called district_city, while a hiveminds is called district_hive. Incidently, district_hive does not even exist in the sector AI focus weight file, so it basically do not even know it exists. Added the following code to it:

code:
	district = {
		key = district_hive
		weight = {
			weight = 1
			modifier = {
				factor = 5
				free_housing < 0
			}

# Let's not go full spam on this.
			modifier = {
				factor = 0
				free_housing >= 0
			}
		}
	} 
And it instantly started to build a hive district. You might want to take a look at that Wiz :)

Edit: Yeah it seems that Scavenger Jobs just completly breaks the sector AI, it only checks for unemployed jobs:

code:
 #############
# BALANCED FOCUS
#############

balanced = {

ai_weight = {
		weight = 100
	}

district = {
		key = district_generator
		weight = {
			weight = 1
			modifier = 
			{
				factor = 3
				owner = { 
					has_monthly_income = {
						resource = energy
						value < 8
					}
				}
			}

modifier = {
				factor = 2
				free_housing < 0
			}

modifier = {
				factor = 3
				any_owned_pop = { is_unemployed = yes }
			}

# No one to work it anyway
			modifier = {
				factor = 0
				NOT = {
				}
			}
		}
	}
This is......wow. :psyduck:

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 9, 2018

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm not surprised Scavenger jobs gently caress everything up. I'm also really surprised they didn't just rename Unemployed for Hive Minds.

I did kinda manage to find a solution! This fixes it:

code:
			modifier = {
				factor = 3
				any_owned_pop = { scavenger_drone = yes }
			} 
But only if I remove this:

code:
			# No one to work it anyway
			modifier = {
				factor = 0
				NOT = {
				}
			} 
So it might break sector AI completly. If it does, it basically needs to be completly redesigned, something I won't do tonight at least! :v:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Current game I ended up sandwitched between a friendly machine empire and a fanatic purifier with Glavius mod on. A few desperate wars and a defensive alliance or two later I was safe but had a fun problem: Due to the wars i had to industrialize a lot of my planets and ended up with to few rural planets, that lead to me eyeing my xeno-hateing neighbours with different eyes. A not-at-all quick or bloodless war later and hey! Turns out the British might have been on to something after all with the whole forcefully conquer and enslave entire cultures to fuel their empire! :v:

Ended up with 300-something slave-pops and have started to dump some of them on the market now.

edit: Yes I COULD have terraformed my way out of my problem(And was doing) but this fixed 2 of my problems at the same time!

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 16, 2018

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

It's kinda funny reading that since one big complaint you heard often about the tile system was that overpopulation was no issue and there was no preassure from haveing a large population.

Now when that happens, people complain that populations don't stop growing instead. :allears:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Uhh the one big complaint about the tile system was that the micro loving sucked and that planets would stop growing at 25 and then it was just tile shuffling.

It wasn't that overpopulation was no issue it's that planets stopped and reached a point of 'done' after a bunch of micro was done.

Managing to turn that into "oh lol but in the space future housing still sucks to obtain" was quite an achievement and here we are to enjoy the fruits of this hard work.

There can be more than one big complaint my man, and a quick cursory google search shows several on both SA and other sites complaining about it. It was not criticism on the guy, I just think its funny that it's such a "Doomed if you do, doomed if you don't" situation.

I prefer the current system and would never wan't to go back to tiles though I would love if move individual pop migration disapear and you could only influence it, but then again I prefer more simulationist games where you just influence things over "macro" games where you do everything yourself and yes I hate the new sector system. :v:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Goffer posted:

Aren't overpopulated, crime filled, poorly managed hive worlds like, the staple of sci-fi fantasy worlds? Seems a bit of a easy way out to just expect them to move themselves. From a ingame perspective, it costs 100 energy credits to move a pop, is an unemployed homeless pop going to be able to raise and save that amount?

Maybe an expensive energy credit % edict it might be alright to solve the problem.

This is how I would like it to be, with different ways to move the population. Like a free society might pay an upkeep to have a increased chance for pops to move, simulating grants and incentives to move, while an authoritarian one force pops to move but it costs upkeep, crime and stability since people generally don't take well to that.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Started up a game as egalitarians with syncretic species, and pop distribution is fine so far(200+ pops).

Also colonized a desert and tundra planet with migration species and only they have been growing on them which was a nice suprise.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Since they increased the size that part don't bother me that much. What i want is to be able to just set a minimum "leave this amount of X in storage" value for resources and then let the sector AI just pull from the empire storages.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Started a new game in 2.2.6 as authorithan/xenophile/materialists bugs running on an oligarchy. Turns out every single empire is a varying degree of rear end in a top hat as well. 1 Devouring swarm, 3 fanatic purifiers and the rest is a lovely mix of slavers, conquerers and mega-capitalists. :v:

This with the improved war AI have led me to currently drowning in refuges from every single part of the galaxy, I am regularly raceing to get jobs and homes for everyone, even if they are lovely stratified economy worker class jobs, my economy is soaring due to the massive influx of pops but dear god the micro :negative:

Once i get finished fixing a few planets then boom, 4-5 new refuges on another "done" planet to find a place to relocate to and then it starts all over again!

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Some simple filters would be nice for the planet list, standard is everything of course, "warning" shows unemployment/lack of houseing and a last one for "free building slot". Makes it so i could stay in warning 90% of the time and only deal with the unemployment, but have the option for the other ones when needed.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Correct.

Once you get gateway activation you can have a line of starbases from your capital to a nearby gateway, fill that gateway system with a 6xTrade Hub starbase, and hugely cut down on your anti-piracy infrastructure. Once you get gateway construction it's trivial to eliminate it completely.

:aaa:

And I just built an extensive gate network connecting all my "colony clusters"(Read: Conquered lands) together with my home system. Seems I am about to do some changes to the starbase in the good old home country.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Shugojin posted:

It really ticks me off that having closed borders to me raises some empires' opinion of an empire and opening them lowers it and this can in some cases lock one empire into a loop of opening / closing borders to the player and spamming the interface

Solution: Insults :v:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I like haveing megastructures late, it extends the peaceful isolationist game by a lot and i definately have use for them.

This last game I have been mostly at peace and takeing in refugees since everyone else is an rear end in a top hat. The game have been "Oh poo poo my worlds are filling up -> Oh poo poo my habitats are not keeping up -> Ringworld and ecumenapolis solving it" and getting them easier or earlier would kinda destroy the effort I had to actively make to get them.

When I play aggressive games I have other ways to increase production and living space.

Edit: Basically megastructures are a way for non-aggressive empires to grow internally, but they need to focus on getting them. Aggressive empires don't need them since they can just take everyones poo poo.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, they helped me in my latest game by giving me a shiton of livingspace and jobs for the constant stream of refugees I got, when all my other worlds where literally full and habitats wheren't keeping up.:shrug:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

If you play a good nation in an rear end in a top hat galaxy then yes living space and jobs are real issues due to the giant hordes of refugees arriving. It does turbocharge your economy though!

And it feels great when another batch arrives and you relocate them to a safe haven on your ringworld or a habitat, don't worry little guys you are safe here :3:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Getting Cybrex as a Machine race is basically cheating lol. I am just making GBS threads out pops as a Rogue Servitor right now. On another note, is there really no way except species wide to stop bio-pop growth without also stopping robot building?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

Can you not enable Population Controls under species rights?

Yes but that falls under species wide, I just want to stop it on a planet. Yeah I can relocate the pops but thats annoying since the UI don't show open bio trophy slots, just open jobs :v:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Ran into the "locked world" bug in my Rogue Servitor game now. Was in a war against a huge fanatic purifier empire and sniped a world from them but had to fall back and rebuild my fleets, so I moved all the pops off the world and now it's still my world but empty and unuseable by anyone, it was a size 25 world as well :v:

edit: But at least its former brutal inhabitants can no longer cause any harm or strife, it's for their own good after all :3:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Move a pop back on

Thought that wasn't possible since there was no resettle button on the planet but that worked, thanks! :D

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

A fate worse than death I guess for the Prikki :allears:

And yeah, Machine Empires are hilariously broken with Cybrex precursor lol. But still is fun to conquer a bunch of new planets and start planing and moving all the new pops into their new safe little homes :3:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

The Bramble posted:

I finally conceded my micromanagement duties to the sector AI and I'm never going back. I was quitting games because the slog of managing more than 6 or 7 planets was sapping the fun out of playing. Now I just throw them in a sector, make sure they have plenty of seed money, and close the tab on them in the outliner. The AI does a good job of making sure everyone is employed, and OK job on keeping them housed, and in general is definitely "good enough" at exploiting its resources that I can leave them alone. I do wish there was some kind of notice when the AI runs out of minerals and can't do anything, but it's not a big deal.

Now i spend my time managing fleets and plotting my expansion. The game is much more enjoyable now. I know this thread has been burned badly by the sector AI in the past, and many of you cannot suffer an unoptimized planet to live, but seriously, give it a shot if you find yourself constantly pausing to sort out your planets instead of conquering the dang galaxy.

I am managing 60+ in my game right now, as rogue servitors :v: With the cybrex relic :suicide:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

Bubbling planets never gets old and I find it somehow even more evil than a neutron sweep or a planet cracker. It's like trying a plastic bag over a planet and watching it suffocate, and then you can put a research station over it to watch them suffer for eternity. That is the pacifist option.

Think of all the post-apocalypse mad-max worlds you're making! Seriously tho, shielding a habitat is pure evil. Enclosed station with no way to grow food?That place is turning into a horror movie real fast.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I have played a ton after the Lithoid pack release(With the pack) and no crashes, no mods at all though!

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

No thanks, I actually like caring about my planets and pops all the way through thank you very much!

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Gort posted:

I suppose you also like crippling performance issues in the latter half

No but if the choice is crippling performance in latter half or even less character to the planets and colonies then I would pick the latter!

Splicer posted:

Then you wouldn't automate them. Everyone's happy!

I was phone reading but I though the idea was to make it switch after 20 planets or something? Sorry if I misread, more choice is always good.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Gort posted:

The conversation's been somewhat rambling and both suggestions appeared in it

I will say though, it is a bit of an alien mindset that you'd remain as dedicated to the character of individual pops whether there are 20 or 2000 of them. For me there are only really four kinds of world - resources, tech, factories, and weird late game poo poo. Once I've set up one tech world I've really set them all up - it doesn't get more thrilling doing it ten times in a game instead of one.

It's a relaxing thing to do, most of my games I almost never go to war and can just sit and build up planets, research, build up habitats, ringworlds etc, the same mindset I get from playing like Anno or something, it's not very hard but it's relaxing and its fun to poke around and watch things grow I guess :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Huh got outplayed by the AI for once. Only potential allies close to me joins in a federation with a dude who do not want me in it. Lost an early war against my aggresive neighbour since I was expecting an attack from the other side and my fleet was out of position from my bastion. Nevermind, only got humiliated. Ten years later, I am prepared and we attack, winning the war with a status quo, only loosing a bordersystem and taking 2 planets, including their homeworld, leaving them with 2. This, predictably, wrecks their economy and they are far weaker than me now.

Ten years later, after the truce, they declare war. Me, thinking it was a desperation move, easily crush their offensive and occupies the third planet. Then I notice 2 fleets aproaching, equaling about 3x my total firepower :v:

They had invited their southern neighbour, who hates my guts due to opposing ethics and rivalry. Said AI have spent the game punching a determined exterminator and are solidly overwhelming to me. Now they have caught my fleet out of position and cut off from my bastion. Gonna be fun to try and turn this around :D