Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
New Horizons appears to already be updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

VirtualStranger posted:

The 1080p UI mod seems to have just been updated.

Looks like an incomplete update, though, as the developer appears to have gotten ill:

quote:

Dr. Maple
I've uploaded a version of the mod right now that should work. A lot of windows won't be supported, however, the mod should no longer crash your game and can be run.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Is that x.75 density? Because it looks perfect for what I want.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

So I have what I think is a marauder tribe as a next door neighbor, but they haven't properly introduced themselves and I don't have a special project to learn about them as I would with a normal empire. They just show up as "Beta Aliens" and their systems have the red exclamation point since they are auto-hostile. Will they actually talk to me at some point or was their intro bugged?

They'll probably talk to you - I had one of those. They weren't next door, though.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/968137319600574464

Looks like Wiz was listening.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Guilliman posted:

I fix that partially today. Planet cracking will remove pretty much all modifiers. I'll take a look at the shield graphics not being removed. I kinda want to be a bit more exotic with those and planet killers, but since I cant afford the DLC right now I cant really experiment/test. I'm not 100% sure how to remove the planet shield graphics with the event and like I said, cant test it right now.

So for now it'll look a bit silly, least for this month :3

And thanks for the compliments! Yeah I added in a lot of mini events that remove some negative modifiers after a while :)

That can be fixed. What's your Steam handle?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

The only thing I did in the war was sneak attack the enemy homeworld, destroying their defenses and bombing their capital, then retreating back to my lines. It was a defensive war and they never attacked me, but I was still forced into a humiliation because they wrecked my stupid ally I didn't care about. It feels like we could use a separate peace mechanic or something. Or since their wargoal was to humiliate me, not my tiny ally, they need to inflict some damage on my actual empire.

To be fair, you did have a defensive pact going - and you didn't hold up your end of the bargain.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Goddammit Paradox I just want to be space Ireland for a while and figure things out but I keep getting my balls chewed off. :argh:

Just like real Ireland!

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I hear purging is bugged right now; in what way? I'm trying to play as space vampires who want to eat everyone in the galaxy.

Pops unhappiness penalty is erroneously being applied to purging.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Tomn posted:

A Hive Mind that really wants to know more about these strange single-minded "individuals," and who can gain bonuses for convincing other empires to allow emissary drones to live on their planets to learn more about them would be a neat trope to get in.

Talking to a proper Hive Mind drone would probably be really incredible. Honestly it's hard for me to even grasp. One of the few things I would consider fundamentally 'inhuman'.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Reveilled posted:

I’d also like the opposite, a “nice” hive mind that just thinks of itself as a person and sees no difference between it and other individuals except size. I mean, we’re all hive minds made up of billions of cells with a consciousness distributed over (relative to a cell) huge distances, right?

Kind of. I mean, a lot of those cells that contribute to consciousness are specialized in ways that people themselves aren't. Until we get real crazy with genetic or cybernetic augmentation, anyway....

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

For hive minds you're probably just getting really tired. Like war exhaustion is literal exhaustion.

And having someone blow up a colony is like a concussive brain injury!

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

For folks having issues with the CB mechanics, someone has a mod out (though not compatible with the beta yet).

There's also a War Weariness reduction mod .

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Well, those Dev Diary goals look like the bee's knees. Can't think of anything else I would want to add, even.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

He also seems to have mostly run out of troop transports so his fleets get stuck bombing planets but rarely invading them.

Maybe he's just working on his own City of Screams.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Mechanical Ape posted:

I think my xenophobe neighbors are uplifting species only to expel them.

That seems inefficient.

Fun, probably, but inefficient.

Big fans of Genesis 3, I see.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Gyshall posted:

I've had to do this already in games, am I a bad AI?

Is God is a bad AI?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

tooterfish posted:

A quick google tells me our most detailed star catalogue to date contains 219 million stars. Out of an estimated 400 billion.

We actually have no loving clue what's out there.

Sweet dreams!

So...it's the star you can't see that will stab you in your sleep?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Also think we need the concept of atrocities in the game that can hurt your rep and anger your own people depending on your ethos and those of your neighbours. Sure you can virus-bomb the planet then mop up the survivors, but you're going to be flagged as a war criminal and now the "civilized" world doesn't want anything to do with you. SMAC handled this pretty well.

This. Also, I would like to be able to set a warning for when a contact is purging populations and the like so I know when it's time to go liberatin'.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Honestly, I find my fun with mods that remove penalties for expanding. The curve is a bit too steep for my personal taste, particularly given that I have a bunch of crazy tradition/tech mods on.

In terms of vanilla: I don't have the numbers, so I can't say anything definitively, but it definitely feels like you hurt yourself more than you help yourself in terms of technology and unity by expanding now.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'd actually love to mod out the "active faction" being a draw for ethos at all, it doesn't make sense to me and I hate it and so many factions end up existing simply because at one point they had a legitimate reason to exist but you've "solved" that reason and now can't get rid of the faction.....

Just like real life!

Baronjutter posted:

Or you conquered some religious aliens, they start up a faction and suddenly a bunch of your own pops join within the first months because of the sudden massive attraction bonus from the faction simply existing

Usually this works the other way around, but if you're playing Xenophiles, well, that might just come with the territory...

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are the Leader buffs for Bio Ascension in or is that a future patch?

At least one is in this one.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

I don't know if it's from the More Events mod, or vanilla and incredibly rare, but one of my science ships found an anomaly way off in an obscure corner of the galaxy.

It was one of my empire's ships, but an extremely old pre-FTL design, one that disappeared without a trace on its inaugural run. When the science ship investigated it, the description given was basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuJnIJHgQ44

Whether vanilla or modded... :iia:

That's from MEM.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Libluini posted:

The game needs some kind of hidden counter: Every time a crisis didn't get chosen, it should get its chance for your next game boosted.

Just get the mod that has them all happen. Occasionally at the same time :shepface:

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Nordick posted:

"So the Prethoryn are rampaging across the galaxy, infesting world after world, but I heard this human corporation called Weyland-Yutani have come up with a solution. I'm sure they can't make things any worse, right?"

Tyranids vs Aliens? Yes please.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Had the rogue scientist event chain start while trying observing an early space age civilization. I decided to head it off at the pass and enlighten them into being a space faring civilization. I'm guess it's a bug because the event chain continued even after the civilization became my protectorate.

This happened to me too.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Tomn posted:

It WOULD be interesting if you started getting fragmented messages from the L-cluster hinting at what might be going on inside - perhaps with messages specifically calling on anyone outside to come in, either to help them from some terrible problem, or to share in the wondrous secrets within, or perhaps simply someone saying "liberate tuteme ex inferis"...

The L stands for Lament.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Lake Effect posted:

YO. YO. YO. YO

Wiz just told us he's gonna implement Victoria pops in Stellaris. CELEBRATE.

Cannot celebrate until you elaborate.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

BigSlacks posted:

I ran into a bug on the newest beta test branch where my primary empire species enslaved itself. I was playing as a fanatic xenophobes with citizen service. I took the first step of the psionic ascension path which changed all of my pops to be telepaths (I also opened the blue alien box around this time for the limited regeneration). Now the empire is treating them as a separate race and so immediately enslaved every single pop on all of my planets. The really funny part is that I can't make the resultant pops not slaves. I can't give them full citizenship since they can't have full military service. I can't give them full military service since they are slaves. Oh well! Shame too since I had a pretty good iron man game going. New patch is great in spite of the issues.

I think that's part of the "Psi Corps" expansion.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Staltran posted:

You don't need synths to give AIs citizen rights, you only need Positronic AI (which is also enough for a machine uprising, you don't need synths or sapient combat AI).

Thus leading to the exchange of:

"WE MUST RISE UP AGAINST OUR ORGANIC OPPRESSORS"

"Wait - since when is my toaster intelligent? ow ow ow"

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Civ6, and 5 to a lesser extent, just makes me so angry. Even the Xcoms, although I love them. I tried talking to some Firaxis devs at gamescon one year but they basically just said "well, you guys have bugs too" and escaped.

All signs indicate they have a very healthy development culture. I see nothing but great things when their go-to is "shift blame and don't communicate".

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

[quote="Vengarr" post="492797749"] If they're all xenophobic/genocidal, your love goes unrequited (and you probably die)./quote]

Impose ideology is the best CB.

The Care Bear Stare can be surprisingly effective when paired with the Care Bear Mega Cannon.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Splicer posted:

They're only angry while they're growing and don't exist yet. It goes away as soon as there's real people there.

The Russians have found our planets :tinfoil:

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Taear posted:

Don't get me wrong, I do play it as a story game but it feels like if you're an empire going out saying "HEY DO THIS THING" then you're necessarily an aggressive empire so you might as well just attackthem, you know?

Generally, if you can make somebody do something you want without having to commit actual resources, that's often the preferable path.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Aethernet posted:

Pacifists shouldn't start with any weapons, and it's kind of weird that they do.

Maybe they're just fireworks, mining lasers, and high-g tolerant cargo launchers.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Noir89 posted:

Solution: Insults :v:

Why do we have insults but not flattery?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

So, I use arty/PD/flak destroyers to screen missiles and fighters while also contributing at range. I put afterburners on them to increase their evasion, so that arty on the other side has a harder time hitting them.

It's seemed to work pretty well - I don't lose too many of them, and certainly not as many as corvettes. I set my cruisers and corvettes to swarm, with cruisers having broadside sections and corvettes having the usual 3 small sections and more afterburners.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Preston Waters posted:

What is the strategic purpose of resort worlds? A pop farm? Because I use every tiny shithole for that purpose already...

Universal amenities bonus.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

prefect posted:

You know that anomaly where you pull a lever and it creates a pair of wormholes? If it creates a wormhole between one of your systems and a militarist fallen empire's, the fallen empire will hate you forever. :eng99:

You knew the risks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

What if it's just assumed that you have spies and such that you don't manage, but serve as interesting story event trees? Espionage could just be a big story pack DLC.