Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Finished an ironman game for the first time last week. I went with the tall egalitarian / fanatic materialist empire that's gotten popular . A nice start at the edge of a 4-arm spiral with two chokepoints, ten total systems in my constellation.

But then I found living metal a few jumps out, so I built a detatched outpost, meaning I had to use three slots for defensive stations. That worked out just fine - the Yuht homeworld spawned next to that last one. I settled three industrial worlds (all the habitable planets available in my constellation) and hunkered down behind my two fortresses to race towards Droids.

A fallen empire in the far north asked me for some of my people. Eh, ok. Happiness isn't a problem. Another fallen empire near them, the NEX robotic empire, would send me gifts occasionally.

The galaxy was on the largest setting with four advanced starts, four fallen empires, and another big pile of regular empires. I made nice with my neighbors, but of course to the far west across open space was a fanatical purifier -- but at least they were around a quarter of the way around the galaxy, it was a really wide open backwoods.

This is the first game I really felt like a strong story developed. Got the brain slugs, the fungus boy (but limited to one pop since that's all the room I had for him). A devouring swarm and relentless exterminators spawned in my southern half of the galaxy, and those two and the purifiers would grow towards each other, eating up the stragglers between them. I beefed up my fortresses to their limits.

I stuck with corvettes and a small complement of destroyers, but after experience with pirates and clearing wild threats to my science ships out I settled on corvettes only, eventually three classes, one of each missile type, weighted 3:2:1 marauder:regular:whirlwind (at endgame).

A decade or so before the close of the 2200s I finished up insights and was told I needed an L-gate in my territory to explore. Nearest one was just a few jumps away from the Fanatic Purifier. The system right before it had a primitive civ in the early space-age that had the same ethics as me -- but the Purifiers were aggressively expanding in their direction, so that was sad. Nothing I can do about it. Well, nothing I would. I still felt bad about leaving them to their fate, but they're not part of the Plan.

I did have friends nearby though -- my only vassals, the Awoken. They colonized a world out in the wilderness and eventually got to Sol, which was a tomb world in this game. They sat precariously between me and the purifiers.

I had got to habitats and had three down in my home system by this point, with room for one more. Brain slug folk were the ones I picked to colonize, of course. A few refugees showed up now and then from what the nightmare triplet were up to. But that L-gate was beckoning so I relaxed on the megastructures to start building influence.

I also had my technological ascension around this point, which offended a spiritual fallen empire on the western edge of the galaxy. I told them to mind their own business, and I wound up surrendering to them by the end of the decade. Oops. They left me alone after that, weirdly enough. I rebuilt my station defenses, my fleets didn't have a chance to engage them before I sent the surrender.

Once the 1,000 influence was saved up for nearest L-Gate, I plopped down an outpost there and decided to see what the dice roll turned up. The bastard purifiers had taken over the primitive world of my little bros. So, I could have gone either way on the L-Cluster outcome -- if it was bad, the purifiers would get eaten first, I figured. I opened the gate and it was the Grey Tempest, but my scientist managed to keep them from coming out the one gate I controlled.

Whelp! There's no way anyone could deal with this, so I exited and reloaded. Ironman turns out to be pretty robust, and it saved when I exited (I thought only the quarterly autosaves happened). On a lark I decided to see how things go and how good my defenses are.

None of the other L-Gates were anywhere near my empire. The next hundred years went very, VERY poorly for the rest of the galaxy. My defenses miraculously held -- three shoals came by. The first one wiped out my detatched outpost and the Yuhtaan system, but that was a sacrifice. I needed to keep my fleet at the main chokepoint -- shoals were lurking on both sides. The first shoal was slightly weakened by my detached fortress, and my two capped corvette fleets stopped them at the chokepoint. After reinforcing, the second shoal died at the opposite border -- the gateways I had built in those two places and my homeworld shipyard were vital. The third Shoal wandered down decades after the first two. By that time, my 10-system empire was the only one left in the eastern half of the galaxy. The surviving civilizations occupied the outer edge of the galaxy between 6 and 12 o'clock. The devouring swarm, the exterminators, my early game friends, the Awakened -- all gone. Only islands of fallen empires remained besides the western edge remnants, but even two of them, the NEX and the empire that asked me for a pop, got bisected.

Refugees from this apocalypse filled my habitats as they came online. I was so ridiculously ahead of everyone technologically (on Commodore, plus scaling difficulty) that I didn't mind the suboptimal research abilities of these guys. These last survivors of their extinct civilizations would eventually be assimilated anyway.

While I was hiding behind my walls, I finished the sentry array, the science nexus, and started a dyson sphere. Then the Ghost Signal started and I lost most of my industrial capacity. The Contingency set up two pairs of machine worlds, one in the middle of the empty east half, and the other on the border of the surviving civilizations. The NEX reactivated and sent out a fleet, and another fallen empire woke up. Unexpectedly there was a green checkmark on the Federation option, so I clicked it thinking the federation would get disbanded shortly thereafter. But no - we formed the galaxy's second federation. I invited two others and we picked up most of the rest as associates.

With the ghost signal retarding my mineral generation, I couldn't support the enormous fleet needed to crack the machine worlds awakened Empires were avoiding. They trimmed back the Contingency's expansion on my half of the galaxy, but the other half was a swarm of red fleets eating away at one of the larger survivors.

I formulated a new plan: Expand into the L-Cluster to build up fleet cap. I knew from the sentry array that I could block off their new shoals at a bottleneck inside the cluster, I just needed to establish a beachhead. Risking everything, I saved up influence for the requisite outpost and sent everything I had, plus a couple science ships and constructors, to the lone L-gate I held twenty-odd jumps away. My corvette swarm melted the Shoals, which were just a titan plus four to six cruisers -- but each fight wore them down. I cleared the Terminal system at the entrance to the L-Cluster, stationed my two dwindling fleets at the gate new Shoals would come through, and surveyed the system. Once that was done, I claimed the system and began work on a Gateway. Corvettes were trickling through after the long journey across a third of a galactic arm, but once that gateway came online reinforcements came through near-instantly. Keeping an eye on my rapidly dwindling mineral stockpile, I methodically cleared and claimed the remaining L-Cluster systems, eventually coming down to the last one.

At this point I became the leader of the Federation, and got control of another fleet that doubled my firepower. I gated it through to the L-Cluster and rendezvoused with my two corvette fleets. Now, with the greatest armada the galaxy had ever assembled at my command, I sent them through and cleaned up the last system, taking down the nanite factory and getting control -- a complete monopoly -- of the l-cluster resources. The remaining shoals roaming the galaxy disappeared.

That left the Contingency, and with my three fleets as a bludgeon, I snuck through the gaps in their fleets and took down the machine worlds one-by-one. I couldn't get more than two down before my turn as federation leader was up, so I set up a sector in the L-Cluster and let the AI colonize it. I turned off assimilation, making academic privilege the default again. I retook my living metal system and Yuhtaan, and with the massive population growth (the Contingency were driving refugees to my L-Cluster colonies, and my 4th and final homeworld habitat) my fleet and station cap grew. I built out additional anchorage stations and powered up to a 400 fleet cap. I built to that cap all at once , since the ghost signal was still sapping my mineral income. Once I capped out again, I sent my fleet out to the third and fourth contingency worlds. Federation leadership rolled back to me by the time I took out their final refuge.

So that was it - L-Cluster and Contingency both dealt with, on ironman. But I hadn't technically won the game yet, and I had an open path to victory due to the disaster that had happened -- the nanite shoals had made uninhabitable almost every planet in 2/3 of the galaxy. I had a monopoly on the resource that could fix that.

I raced some constructors into the north to take the three (!) ringworlds the NEX left behind after the Contingency were defeated. My awakened empire ally left the Federation, though - and were beginning to sour on me. Another federation member left and struck up a new alliance with spiritualists. We obviously had been pushed together by the crises, but without the external threats it was clear they no longer cared who had saved the universe (it was me, I saved the universe).

The upshot was it would be very easy for my federation to claim 40% of all habitable worlds. All I had to do was make them - ringworlds, habitats, and restoring the worlds the nanites had turned to grey goo. Each Nanite world I terraformed was super-cheap and super-quick - 600 energy and 12 (ish?) months. It was more than ten times that for barren planet terraforming.

I also continued to leave assimilation turned off, and all my new sectors -- NEX Memoria. L-Cluster, Sea of Conciousness -- quickly filled up with all kinds of species. Best of all, one of my pops turned out to be one of my little bros from the primitive space-age world the purifiers had taken. I guess they were refugees to another empire, and then emmigrated to mine after the crisis was over and I started creating new worlds.

I remembered I could toggle the species view and was stunned to find out that somewhere, out there, was a single pop of my original unascended species, even pre-symbiote. I had no idea where they were though -- there were a number of other singleton species out there, the lone survivors of the combined Contingency and L-Cluster nanite hyper-genocides.

I decided I would farm the galaxy -- find a pop in my empire of an otherwise extinct civilization, restore their original homeworld, and create a vassal out of them. So many species had no homeworld listed though, so not many were candidates. This way I would be assured that once I returned to technological ascendancy, there'd still be some of the originals out there. Including my little bros.

But first I had to deal with the three remaining precursors who were overstaying their welcome. First on the list: the spiritual assholes who bullied me two hundred years ago. They never awoke, and their fleet power was now 'pathetic' compared to mine. Before I could finish massing my invasion fleet, though, the spiritual federation declared war on mine. Not only that, they used a Colossus weapon on the very spiritual civilization I myself was about to target. There were precious few worlds left in the galaxy, and here they were exploding ones with really nice technology on them.

And this is when things started snowballing. I jumped my invasion fleet across a gap to the other arm, through one of my federation members, and invaded the space of the leaders of that enemy federation. To my surprise, every outpost I took down was immediately added to my own empire -- it was a Total War (first time I'd experienced this). They had very few worlds, and inside a couple years I had consumed half of their empire. Hilariously, the other half of the empire by volume contained only a single world, because that's all that was left in that half of the galaxy for them. Their federation quickly collapsed and they surrendered. My own empire tripled in size.

Before I could resituation my fleets to take down the fallen spiritual empire, the Awakened precursor empire declared war on me, and the spiritual empire. They, too, stated using colossus weapons on the spiritual empire's worlds, to my chagrin. My federation partners were very quick to take over the awakened empire's systems, so all the worlds I invaded immediately went to their control. Eh, that's ok. I only managed to keep a single one of those worlds.

Finally, those wars won (and so far all wars and crises have ended while I was in control of the Federation), I turned my sights to my ancient adversaries. They had one world left and eight systems; they didn't last a year.

My 'threat' value had gone through the roof though, so another federation associate left and joined up with the other stragglers of the opposing federation. A third major power (inward perfectionists) asked to become a protectorate. With no real threats left, I returned to my galaxy gardening project.

The last fallen empire lived in the far north, left bisected by the nanite shoals. Fanatic xenophiles, five systems, six or seven worlds. I positioned my three fleets and groups of transport ships a jump out of their shrunken borders, and all their worlds were mine inside a quarter.

One of them, The Preserve, had one member each of so many lost civilizations -- including a pristine founder species pop of my own empire. So that's where all these guys were -- giving that fallen empire a pop actually had a real effect, and wasn't just some story / diplomacy flag. My colony ships would be built from the Preserve as I continued my gardening.

Shortly afterward, I won the game with a federation-control-of-worlds victory, in the early 26th century.

Long after victory - gardening continues. The blue dot in the middle of red in the south is the location of that nearest L-Gate from which I turned the tide. My borders in the outermost arm (around 3:30ish) is still the original south border of my 10-star constellation. The big red blob in the east? Only one habitable planet left in there.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

CainsDescendant posted:

The players themselves were super awkward in a kind of endearing way

"We're back with the space geckos..." (shows chameleon race portrait)

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I saw Megacorp come out and went over to paradox plaza to buy it. Did so, activated it, and was getting ready to play after I finished checking today's emails. One of them was for my pre-order of Megacorp, which I forgot I had done. Slightly annoyed, but not enough to ask for a refund.

So - I have an unactivated Steam key for Megacorp. Reading the email, I'm pretty sure it can be transferred.

First non-jerk who wants it gets it.

I reserve the right to determine whether you're a jerk. If I do, please take it personally.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Check your messages Jazerus.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Pay attention, man.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

ulmont posted:

Weird - I see 2-3 terraforming candidates per game.

My belief was that beyond the initial ones, the terraforming event is a filler event once you've exhausted all the one-time events. I used to play only Huge galaxies, and a few times I had entire arms bottlenecked for myself and I wound up with several dozen candidate worlds. Then got a few dozen more nanite worlds later for some reason.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is from like ~5 pages ago but holy poo poo its amazing can I use it?

It's a very common comparison used in project / resource management.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Any tips for getting more Influence in the early game? I find myself really limited by that in some of my games, which I'm sure is on purpose, but it's not really clear to me how to get more, other than factions (which usually ends up being disappointingly small, and they take forever to appear).

Early game is entirely dependent on your civics/ethics. I did come up with an empire to maximize influence / unity and had a pretty fun (but typical) game with this build:

+75% faction influence
+15% monthly unity
+10% jobs unity
-25% diplomatic influence cost

Early early game it doesn't help much but once you get factions going you'll probably have trouble spending influence fast enough. I expanded territory every time I had the metals for it.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 11, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
The new system is worse than tiles. Tiles were bad but I'd rather have them back.

There's too much micromanagement, more than there was with tiles, and the addon that automates resettlement for overpop/unemployment exposes this issue. If automating a feature so the player doesn't need to handle it improves the gameplay so much, then that gameplay feature should be removed. It provides no benefit.

There are several problems that arise from the current design:
  1. Managing homelessness lategame involves manually capping the population colony by colony via Decision, or by resettlement micro
  2. Unemployement micromanagement is assuaged via higher social policies, but we still have the nag icon. For empires without Utopian policies, this must be managed by resettlement micro
  3. Social strata causes unemployment issues which either are, or are being mistaken for, bugs, and can interact with species rights in overly complicated ways (e.g. open Artisan job slot and an unemployed Artisan pop)
  4. Economies whiplash violently if the player is doing it wrong. Planning ahead and overbuilding all at once so you don't have to micro manage buildings and district constantly is the wrong way to play now - pops funnel into specific jobs leaving many jobs unfilled - some vital lower tier jobs, for example. The tiered production chain is highly vulnerable to this.
  5. Xenophiles and genetic engineering (and synthetic types) becomes pointless because there's no way and no guarantee that a pop developed to be perfect for the Worker tier will actually work that farm and not take jobs other pops are suited for. Late game mixed species makes any sort of population and job management untenable, which means it becomes ignored. The game feature becomes pointless.

The biggest problem? Unemployement, Overpopulation, Social Strata, and economic balance management are good game design for an empire building game. Removing these entirely would make the game flat and less interesting. But we have a problem because in late game you either must ignore these as much as you can or automate them away with addons -- which goes back to the actual issue: ignored or automated gameplay elements add nothing to a game.

Here are the fixes:

• Make the relationship between pops and housing, and pops and jobs, proportional rather than 1:1

Holy poo poo I couldn't think of more items to add to that list. That is one fix that fixes most of the issues.

Illustrative examples:

• Overpopulation: There are 11 pops and 10 housing slots. Overpopulation is therefore 10%. Communal species and Solitary species apply an effect from this differently. The opposite situation should also have a gameplay effect - 90 pops and 100 housing slots are good for Solitary but not bonus for Communal. The effect is applied evenly across the world's population (as overcrowding rather than homelessness), taking species traits into account, rather than 100% applied to specific pops.
  • Jobs: There are 8 worker-tier pops, 4 farming job slots and 6 mining job slots - 10 jobs total. Assuming there is only 1 species, this means that the farms and mines are operating at 80% of capacity. If there are 12 workers for those job slots, there would be a 17% unemployement effect (2 out of 12 pops).

I don't think there should be a minimum pop level for building efficacy. If you have 1 worker and 10 farming jobs, running the farms at 10% is fine. 5 farms and 5 mines all running at 10% from 1 pop is also fine. It's not one person, it's thousands or whatever the abstraction is. Industrious and other species types could interact with this proportion differently, rather than just have a production bonus.

As for genetic / synthetic species management, two new features are necessary:
  • Allow us to set automatic template application that taxes Biology research income, rather than 100% redirects all biological research. It's not necessary to cap this at 1 template at a time, limit it only by biology research income. Ditto for robots / synths and Engineering research income. Pops migrating in for a species not in this template will automatically be modified to reduce clutter.
  • Allow non-egalitarian empires to set job preferences for species templates. Or allow it for egalitarians too - maybe species that are good at thing preferentially enjoys doing thing

A lot of the base rates for things - assimilation, purge, stratum migration, and so on - also need to be amplified. Either globally or via tech / policy. Waiting 50 months for a Ruler to drop down to Artisan or whatever is not enjoyable.

I'm sure I missed some gotchas with some gameplay interaction but this system needs a bottom-up rework anyway.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 1, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Staltran posted:

I'm not sure how [proportional pop jobs/housing] would help? It seems like the effect would be the same, just less intuitive.

That's ... true-ish but I don't think it's an oversight. Overpopulation and unemployement still need to be dealt with, but now it's a planetary effect rather than affecting X specific discrete pops that need to be shuffled.

The biggest impact the new design has is the economy whiplash I mentioned. Pops crowd into specific jobs and, oh poo poo, suddenly you have negative fifty consumer goods or are down twenty food a month because you didn't automate one sector for the AI to build eighty-seven useless farms on.

Proportional jobs fixes the economy at a minimum and reduces the micromanagement workload of shuffling individual unhappy / jobless / homeless pops. It's an incremental solution that can still work with the current design, I think.

Also, on automating -

There's a difference here. Automating in a game like, say, Factorio is the point of the game. The addon in Stellaris that automates pop management makes it an out-of-sight, out-of-mind issue where you don't have to care anymore. Until at least the situation gets really out of hand and you have empire-wide overpopulation and unemployement, and then you have to go back and set six dozen worlds to stop population growth with the 1000 influence points your'e not doing anything with.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 1, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
The unaddressed problem this doesn't solve is how population growth can't be checked except by going into every planet and enacting a Decision.

This can be fixed by adjusting the population growth formula to use the planetary overcrowding factor. If you want more pop growth, make more space. Population grows to fill available space, then slows as it nears capacity, and stops entirely at some level of overcrowding. The solitary and communal traits could have influence on this.

I just really don't like the planetary decision for pop growth as our only means to do this. It's a huge hassle late game as your empire fills out.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

BrandorKP posted:

Nah, why not drill down.

I had an archaeology site in my current game like this, but not quite. It involved a titanic arthropod.

There was a bronze age civ inside the bowels of this creature. When they figured that out, they decided to fight it with spears.

The creature got indigestion, reversed peristalsis violently, and they all were killed in its stomach acid.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
How are people setting up their refinery habitats?

I've been spending an hour on district / housing / job tetris and I can't get things to even out, and I'm refusing to let it go. I've got nothing else to do because I'm waiting on the prethoryn queen to show up.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Refinery habitats are for doubling the output of orbital mote/crystal/gas mines. I just fill out the remaining space with the mineral converters too.

But I'm winding up with wobbly Jenga towers of drone storage and maintenance buildings. The real coup was finding a way to get five gas wells on the Irass system node. Ten gasses from five buildings which means unlocking five slots with twenty-five pops for only five jobs.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Also, disconnected systems. I'm fishing for the outside context achievement and Sol was also unconnected. I reverted to release version after that.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
It's a new age, Delenn!

(played a plantoid race)

That was a major achievement run. In addition to Last Best Hope, got Peacekeeper, Towards Utopia, and No Khan Do. Down to just a few left and then I can not play ironman ever again.

I make a point of turning Stellaris into the most complicated game of madlibs possible.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 14, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Hangar station range passes through gates as well, so even as long as gates are no more than 4-6 jumps apart, and assuming you have citadel trade patrol bases halfway between, you're set.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Up until getting re-distracted by Rimworld I had been on a big acheesement streak by setting up games to just get them out of the way so I can go back to full modding.

So instead of a KILLBOT species to fight against (specifically for the colossus bubble achievement), I made these guys.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Go to the trade view (one of the widgets in the bottom right), click on the starbase with the red warning in the tracker, and then right-click a destination starbase to set up the trade route. All this clicking is on their map view hexagon icons.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
My only instant-fire trait is the one where they stop gaining levels.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Grapplejack posted:

It kinda sounds like wiz is a really lovely coder, honestly.

Check this poo poo out: https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-312

I code for a living so I know better than to critique code sight unseen.

Design, on the other hand, is something else.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

PittTheElder posted:

Also, never ever convert a Relic world to an Ecu. A Relic world with all it's research bonuses is worth way more than 20k minerals and 200 influence.

Convert your relic worlds and replace all the alloy and commercial goods buildings on all your other planets with research labs. Build habs over resource deposits (hopefully not moons or asteroid belt based) and focus them on exotic production. Once your Dyson sphere is up, switch to 'subscribing' to exotics you need with a monthly market purchase order to fill any gaps your habs can't reach. Relic worlds once they're filled with buildings and pops are best converted since you've hit your limit of what you can do with them.

Labs can stay on your ecus too, 10% bonus is ok. My last game I got sling-shotted from middle to lead by getting 3 relic worlds (Fen Habbanis, Rubricator, and an archaeological site) once I was able to support full time researchers in all of the free slots they had, so don't convert them too early. Ecus take some support.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 14, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Yeah, way too easy a setup but I couldn't resist.

[edit] I guess the top tweet in that chain is deleted now.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 16, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
You could fix habitats by having all building slots unlocked at 1 pop. Or +1 per pop.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Every time I get an idea to convert all my rare resource mines into habitats, I find 75% of my resources are on asteroids or moons and thus unhabitatable. Gas seems particularly bad. So opening up natural resource mines to any habitat in the same system would be helpful.

The fact I could just subscribe to resources via the market makes the effort and expense completely meaningless anyway. I'm not a fan of the market, but am a flagrant abuser of it.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
When you have a single enemy fleet selected, each ship has a magnifying glass icon on the right side. Click that to view the loadout for each class.

In vanilla Stellaris, a generalized loadout works fine for fighting normal empires of similar strength. Tailoring a counter-design helps especially when you're outgunned.

My early game fleet design philosophy is to make a Corvette design for each weapon type and build equal numbers of them, usually with two armors and one shield. That includes a class for each of the explosive types and no disruptor class.

End game is equal numbers of carrier and spinal mount artillery battleships in a fleet with one Titan each.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 1, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Expanding on the above, once you have a mortal enemy that you can run a strong counter against, go to your Fleet designer and for each class in a fleet that would be useless against that foe, click the icon on the right of that class in the fleet to refit them to your strong design.

Make sure you only do this for fleets already orbiting the shipyard, this feature hangs inexplicably sometimes if the fleet has other orders first.

After the war, you can pull ships out of a fleet that are in an over-represented design and refit them back if you feel safer with a generalized fleet.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Seconding the above poster re: not worthwhile to counter normal empires, which is why I run a generalized fleet. The only time I've refitted for strong counter is against monsters, Leviathans, crises, and fallen/awoken empires.

My reason for defaulting to two armors on Corvettes is so shields don't cause a power deficit issue that prevents my ships from autoupgrading to the latest weapons.

The official wiki actually has a guide for those counters, which the above poster linked to in their spoiler.

The wiki is useful in those cases because most Leviathans can't be scanned by your sensors.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 1, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Also, I tend to keep each fleet as a single class of ships, with a spread of designs in each.

So my 2nd fleet is destroyers with three designs: two artillery/gunship designs, one kinetic and the other energy, with a third point- defense class.

3rd fleet is two cruiser classes, rocketry and light carriers.

I usually send the fleets in a combined-arms armada. I don't care if it's overkill, I like pretending that it matters.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 1, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
You also can't gift them to vassals that are in the surrounding territory and own the other end of the wormhole. I wound up spinning it off into its own vassal empire (talking about the special system that only has wormhole access), in the where I nabbed the Galatron recapture achievement (the only game I got the Galatron in was the same one where I conquired and vassalized the entire galaxy, so I reloaded that old save, spun off almost the entire galaxy as a couple dozen vassals, and waited for one of them to get pissed off enough to declare war).

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
It's still an issue. I had 4 maxed shipyards and whether I manually set a home base for a fleet or not, or whereever the fleet happened to be, the choice of shipyard to build was the one furthest from, getting 75% of the queue.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

GunnerJ posted:

Which one?

If you're trying to decide which mod might be causing you problems and you have more than one that hasn't been updated since 2017...

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I have been using that kind of seemingly innocent honesty to underline my dissatisfaction with my personnel resources. Want me to do all this work? Here's what I can do in my next 20 sprints. Yes, that is only a quarter of what you put on my list.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Hryme posted:

ESII is worth it just to play Horatio. Best sci-fi race ever.

There is a Horatio dating sim you can play instead.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Aethernet posted:

I suspect the average age of this thread is high enough that most of us are still suffering PTSD from the launch of both MOO3 and SOTS2.

MOO3 was the final nail in the coffin that Ultima: Ascension built, for me.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Gort posted:

They must've started right next to you, judging by the date.

The problem is he's losing several pops right at the start of the game.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Bungula will be the the starting system name for my next joke species.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Ascendancy had creative aliens but there was 0% AI capability. Other alien planet tile usage was awful and their ship design was worthless too.

But it was the first game I individually named every ship so it also has a special place in my heart.

Huh, also just remembered that Ascendancy was the game that made me upgrade from 4 to 8 mb ram. That cost me $100.

ALSO I still listen to the soundtrack ripped from gamefiles even with the superlow sample rate.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 23, 2020

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Guilliman posted:

Cycle between a Young Galaxy, Normal Galaxy, or Old Galaxy to tweak the spawn rates of planet modifiers relating to past civilizations. A young galaxy will have less 'old structures' and ruins. Precursor Modifiers are also slightly adjusted as are planet wonders. An Old Galaxy will have more of them.

If I ever get around to playing another Asimov / Foundation universe game, this will come in handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
The next DLC's achievements have been added on Steam.