Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

HiKaizer posted:

Sorry Mardak Vol, I can't put you in colony ships because of you culture shock...I'll have to wait for next game to let you live. At least the end of that chain will not trigger until you control the system and reveal the planet. So I can cordon it off and prepare next time if it pops too early.

Also I don't remember there being any hard locks preventing spiritualists from synth ascension, it just extremely fucks over your spiritualist faction and pops all of a sudden. For materialists I tend to play with mods but even in vanilla, I am sure you can still get psionics and the ascension path, it's just extremely badly weighted for you. Am I remembering this wrong?

My current game has Spiritualist and is currently on the synth ascension path, yes.

But you can't give full rights to robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I like the idea of an egalitarian empire buying up slaves to free them. This encourages everyone to interact with the system instead of just slavers (which I feel too uncomfortable with to play, honestly).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Libluini posted:

Aren't the vicious rats eating people anyway? I think I remember that from the lore

No the rats didn't eat people, they just psychically enslaved them. Their culture was also described as one so authoritarian and hierarchical that even their own citizens were slaves. The adviser voice always called you Dominus.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zurai posted:

It does, but the special super fortresses they get give them 60 defensive armies, and they auto-spawn fleets in their home system (with a ton of HP) every few years, so progress is glacially slow in bombarding them to death. Also I'm playing fanatic pacifists so I'm limited to selective bombardment which doesn't help.

I'm glad that your fanatic pacifist empire is wondering how to conquer a Fallen Empire without compromising on their ideals.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

I bomb planets while I wait for more armies. Since armies set to aggressive will auto-follow fleets and auto-invade if they can win, you can just set a fleet to bombard a planet, and the moment the defenders are weak enough your army will grab the planet, then get back to space and auto-follow your fleet again.

My.. God...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't want to have to dump huge armies on every conquered planet. That sounds extremely tedious and unfun.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

TalonDemonKing posted:

Endless space does this as well with the quest with protecting/destroying shards where players and AI are shuffled into 'teams' regardless of their current standing with one another, and that kind of helps push people together.

Personally, those always happen right when the game's about to end and the AI is terrible at completing them anyway so I just ignore them and go for the win.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jazerus posted:

arumba once fumbled around for half an hour trying to find a princess he intended to marry in CK2, only to find that she was a priestess all along, shortly after he found her and proposed to her

he's not good at things like "reading" and "paying attention to the game" because he tries to fill literally every second of air time with commentary

No one pays to watch someone read tooltips. There's a show to run!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

If your culture has the religious belief that everyone is equal before God or whatever, surely that would be classified as being both Spiritual and Egalitarian, right? Isn't that the reason we can mix and match ethics?

And yeah, a dictatorship enforcing living conditions on the masses is probably just a highly stratified society with the dictator and their buddies on top.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

null_pointer posted:

Goons I really want to get into this game, but I've bounced off of it. I need a slow, relaxed, no-pressure start with guidance on how to gradually come to grips with the game mechanics. Help!

Wait until next week when they revamp everything, imo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Have "robot parts" an abstracted resource like alloys or food that is empire-wide built in robot factories. Planets build a "robot control centre" building that convert this resource into assembled robots automatically by need with the player able to tweak planet-wide or empire-wide robot policies for the ideal percentage of the workforce being robots. A policy of 100% would see robot centers building 1 robot pop for every worker class job. If those jobs are ever lost, the robots are deconstructed and converted back into robot-parts at a small loss. Robots would also require robot-parts for upkeep, it would be like their food/consumer goods. Upgraded/advanced versions of robot centers could give productivity or upkeep bonuses as well as speed up the assembly/disassembly/refitting process.

I think that's unnecessarily complicated. Just have robot immigration, ie: robot population growth from the robot factory world detects robot overcrowding on their own planet and automatically exports future robot production to underpopulated planets. Why should we even have to build a separate robot building on each planet anyway? Can robots not be carried on spaceships?

In general though, I would certainly hope you can set robot production targets that will automatically be met. Like "fill all worker slots" or the like.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Do robots even take up housing? Maybe there's no reason not to have excess robots in the new, tile-less version of the game. Like, if they don't take up housing or maintenance when they're not working or something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

Unless the immigrants are being poofed into existence, then you're still wounding your neighbor's economy by getting their people. Or I guess possibly keeping a status quo if you're also losing population to your own pops emigration.

Immigrants are being poofed into existence.

They said they're changing the way immigration works entirely: instead of pop units actually disappearing on one planet and appearing on another, immigration is represented through population growth modifiers. Overcrowded planets will get growth penalties to represent people leaving (which is presumably fine since they're already overcrowded) and other planets will get growth bonuses to represent people arriving. The species of pop that appears from growth no longer depends on the local population either. Growth is just modeled as an interplanetary thing generally.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

And coincidentally jamming in a bunch of obedience in the process.

If it weren't a liberal application of the brain scoop then one wonders why it takes far longer to bring actual stone age people up to equal productivity, and why they don't appreciate it as much.

I mean if you like brain scooping people I'm not gonna judge. We've all done a bit of war criming in our quest to paint the map one colour.

It is pretty weird that it's apparently easier to uplift cockroaches and otters and immediately have them be fully-functioning members of your society than it is to teach a pre-space society about science and stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Cockroaches and otters generally dont have their own culture and their own dominant ethoses. (ethii?) At the risk of going into some very highbrow writings about clash of civilizations and culture, I will settle for a lovely analogy. It is easier to mold something from un-hardened clay, than it is to change the features of already set clay.

Ideally, the stellar shock thing should change imo, to a malus to getting to your dominant ethoses, provided they arent already the same, that gets higher the higher level of sophistication that a society is, and a decreasing time or level of stellar shock.

You're not even trying to integrate the primitive civilization when you enlighten them though. When the process finishes they become their own faction that also happens to be a vassal. A vassal that might have the complete opposite ethics and even come to resent you over time. They don't need to be "molded" at all, just to understand that aliens exist and are vastly more powerful than them.

Molding their ethics is actually an entirely separate action you can take with a primitive civilization.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, I'd imagine the main reason they all upgrade together is purely mechanical: it's easier to keep track of for the players. Although I think it would make more sense to have some kind of "okay, we have the technology now, but do we really want to upgrade all our droids to synths?" button. As opposed to it happening automatically and silently, with no indication for the player that you're suddenly expected to make a decision on robot rights, as someone mentioned earlier.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I like making robot people and giving them rights.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wouldn't the synths understand even better than humans that sapience is a specific thing in their programming that other machines don't have? They'd probably be even more racist towards droids than living beings would, since living beings have irrational tendencies to anthropomorphize things.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Staltran posted:

Oh hey, according to the wiki the synths tech has no requirement for AI to be legal. So if you have outlawed AI and have a bunch of droids, and then decide to research synths to get rid of the tech card cluttering your deck... you upgrade every droid to synths, then dismantle them all because they're illegal? And can't build any more droids ever again?

If you think about it, is that any less logical than building synths just so you can feed them Utopian Abundance luxuries on a resort world?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The sector AI doesn't seem to know how to upgrade things and/or it always decides that things shouldn't be upgraded because they cost rare resources. There's also no longer an option to allow it to replace districts or buildings, which means once the planet get full on districts or buildings the sector AI may as well not exist. It also seems utterly confused and useless when dealing with Habitats.

Also I think Habitats are probably really bad now. Unlike planetary districts, Habitat districts force you to choose between housing and jobs. And to add insult to injury, you can't build the normal buildings that provide housing or jobs on them either? So you're stuck with either a lot of jobs and no people, or a lot of people with no jobs, and it's bad all around. Don't build Habitats and/or fix habitats please.

Edit: Wait, I just realized you can building industry on them. I guess that's probably the best use.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I got to a late game state where all my planets have 100+ population, are full on districts and buildings, and have nowhere near enough jobs, so I just set it to utopian abundance and let them not work. Annoyingly the game still bugs me about them creating criminal underworlds every so often, even though I have so much stability that crime can't survive at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Speaking of sectors, I noticed that when you transfer resources to them it doesn't keep track of energy and minerals separately? Meaning you can give them only energy and they'll use that energy to build districts and buildings. This is probably cheesable in some way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Wasn't it changed in 2.2 that you can use a race you have a migration treaty with to colonize planets in your empire? Got a migration treaty with a Tundra preference fungus, but my main (continental) race is the only option to colonize.

This is from pages back, but what I've found is that you can immediately build a colony ship with the migration treaty pop from any shipyard, but you can't build it from a planet screen or the expansion planner. Probably a bug.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, I do have one problem with Democracy: if the leader dies early it always says they didn't fulfill their "by the end of the term" campaign promises, even if you did. And because of the way lifespans work, they'll probably just replace them with another elderly person who will also die before they finish a term. It ends up being a weird midgame crisis for democracies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Play fanatic xenophiles, be democratic, and take pacifist.

That probably minimizes the things people can hate you for and should give you a sizeable interaction buff.

Also you can just throw money and guarantees at people to build up relationship.

Everyone loving hates Pacifists, actually. Every single alignment that's not pacifist will think "what, the little baby won't fight a war of conquest?" and refuse to work with you on anything (Federations, etc). Xenophile is the only purely positive ethic for diplomacy, although Egalitarian is certainly less harmful than Pacifist.

Anyway, the one little trick that Paradox doesn't want you to know is that you should be bribing everyone you meet. If you give them 1 Exotic Gas (or any other rare resource) for 60 years, they will gain like 50 opinion immediately. A Fanatic Xenophobe only has a -30 opinion modifier. You can give them 2 Exotic Gas to double your bonus. So basically you can raise anyone's opinion of you arbitrarily high, use that to convince them to sign all your trade deals, and then their trust will start to rise and you won't need to keep bribing them later. You can easily add a Fanatic Xenophobe or anyone of the opposite ethic to a Defensive Pact or Federation like this. But not someone of a different War Philosophy (to a Federation), because it modifies their final willingness to accept rather than their opinion. Which is why Pacifism sucks for diplomacy: you can basically only work with other Pacifists.

A less cheesy trick to make friends is to declare rivalries with all their enemies. I think that gives you +50 opinion per. But either way you need something to break the ice before they'll even give you the time of day.

Splicer posted:

Yes, stop playing tiles with the new system. You don't manage pops*, you manage buildings and the pops manage themselves. If you find you've more jobs than pops on a planet that means you hosed up somewhere and the arrows are an emergency measure, not a core mechanic.

*the 5/10 pop shuffle is an obvious and hopefully soon to be resolved exception

You also end up with a huge surplus of jobs when you make an Ecumenopolis, but it's not a big deal since they're all clerks.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 11, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In my most recent game I found a broken Matter Decompressor so I made like 3 Ecumenopoli with full Foundry Districts. And it was good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, the existence of a resort planet adds 15% more amenities to every other planet in your empire (because the people on other planets can take vacations there). The population of the resort itself just represents the staff who work there, and aren't meant to be productive at all.

You create a Resort Planet when you don't mind sacrificing a colonizable planet to make all your other ones better.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I avoid patrols by filling my capital system's star fortress with 6 Trade Hubs so I don't even need to think about any piracy within 6 jumps (which is a huge range). Anything outside of that is unlikely to have a huge economy, and can be covered by stacking starbases with Hangars.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Habitats are... okay I guess, as long as you build nothing but housing and alloy factories on them. The alternate districts are a trap because they provide no housing whatsoever and you can't build housing in the building slots either. So lots of jobs and no one to work them. I honestly have no idea why they disabled so many buildings on Habitats, since the special districts on a Habitat suck.

Frankly they could just copy-paste the Ecumenopolis districts onto Habitats and they'd be great, but they should be great since they cost about the same to make.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How are you guys dealing with Consumer goods? No matter who I play as I am having a terrible time keeping up with them?

Change your trade policy to Consumer Benefits to materialize them out of the ether.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"Betcha we could make a cool new alloy factory if we had this entirely theoretical exotic material."

"Wow! Is it more efficient?"

"God, no. It just fits more people inside the building."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Can anyone explain to me what this means?

I am currently actively purging a species but I still have the upset faction. It seems absurd to me that if I am a Materialist Authoritarian empire I cannot do anything but Stratified Economy (I am currently on Academic Privilege) if I dont want to have a super pissed faction.

I am tempted to try doing something like that to help fix my problem. It doesnt consume trade goods to build a Commercial Zone and gives 5 jobs for one building.

Um... your pops are authoritarian so they like it when you do authoritarian things. That's kind of the point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Splicer posted:

No they said that in a dev diary but then changed it. Colonising a planet now checks to see if it's within 2 of an existing sector (or possibly within 2 of an existing sector capital, not sure) and if not, new sector.

I'm very sure it's "within 2 jumps of a sector capital" which is what causes most of the problems we see.

But basically there's no reason for sectors to even exist anymore except as an arbitrary Governor tax so I'd rather they just revamp the system entirely to be honest.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rogue Servitors have a hilariously broken economy compared to the other empires I've played. Having to manage both food and consumer goods with an otherwise Machine Empire economy makes this super hard mode right now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The way I see it, it's mostly about AI improvement and/or the way sectors work. You shouldn't have to deal with dozens of planets, because by the time you have dozens of planets you shouldn't have to care about optimizing every single one as long as they're "pretty good." Right now I don't think the AI is up to the task, and even if it was, sectors are just broken right now. Since they often get one planet each and you have to allocate resources by each individual sector rather than for the AI generally (or by just having them pull from your main stockpile, maybe with some minimum threshold it won't go under). Fix sectors, and fix the AI, and I don't see the micromanagment as an actual problem.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

What if we just got rid of the idea of building slots entirely? Just build whatever you like, whenever you like? There's already a compelling reason not to do this, ie: upkeep and creating too many jobs and pulling people away from the ones you want, so why not? It also gets rid of the annoyingly gamey pattern of moving pops around to unlock early building slots.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just give Habitats the exact same districts as an Ecumenopolis. I don't see what's so hard about that: make them mini-city-planets in space.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’ve seen people talk about making “hangar” starbases to protect trade routes, what modules or buildings does that entail exactly?

Literally the Hangar module. It provides +10 protection and +1 protection range, so a star fortress filled with 6 Hangars gives +60 protection to everything within 6 jumps, and this stacks with other star fortresses with overlapping ranges.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Preston Waters posted:

Is it just me or did they nerf Experimental Subspace Nav like crazy? Seems like it takes three times as long -- like way longer than it would to actually just travel there.

Yeah, I noticed that. It's rarely worth it to do it now, only to reach places that are otherwise inaccessible due to closed borders or whatever. Maybe that was the intent all along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe it doesn't work defensively? A federation declared war on me, I used liberation as my defensive CB. I took about 2/3 of the planets of one of the memebers, white peace did not create a new ideology-bud.

The stumbling point might be that the member I took the planets from was not the leader of the federation. If I looked over the full surrender for them it was that the leader of the federation adopts my ideology while the country I was occupying leaves the alliance.

I sure wish we had a more EU4 style peace system where I could assemble demands. Hell I'd be happy to just split up the federation.

You're confusing mechanics. Liberation as a war goal means you have to conquer them completely, and then you'll overthrow their ruler and change their ethics and basically create a puppet government that loves you. Vassals only split off when you make claims on their systems and actually hold those systems when a status quo peace is declared. Without any claims, you get exactly nothing.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 21, 2018