Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Ahhh gently caress I accidentally kept the stupid rudimentary robots on the one world as a hive mind and now I have 2 pops of robot that I'm apparently somehow keeping as livestock and everyone has a malus on me for it but I literally cannot change their rights to disassemble them or whatever because I can't have robots

:rip:

How does one even eat robot livestock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

This mod also seems pretty good for people to learn how to grasp the new economy.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

I think part of the problem is that 'better' buildings don't make your workers more efficient. Your first alloy forge job takes 6 minerals and makes 2 alloys. Your fully upgraded alloy forge still takes 6 minerals and produces 2 alloys; you just get to fit 8 more equally efficient dudes in the same building. If anything, you're actually less efficient now because somewhere else in your empire there now needs to be a guy in a chemical plant who eats 10 minerals to make the 2 motes your better forge takes in upkeep costs.

Amenity production doesn't seem like it gets any bonuses at all (or maybe that's because the examples I'm checking out are from my late game hive mind empire). Maybe it would be easier to grow and scale if you eventually needed fewer pops to fill that need?

It would be cool if there were technologies that modified the job inputs so that workers required less raw materials to make the same amount of stuff over time. Could probably hack together this system by making it so that the upgraded buildings create new jobs that need less minerals/consumer goods/whatever and give the job titles names like greater researcher/advanced researcher/superior researcher/peerless researcher so that it's distinguishable in the code and by the player.

It'll make the current buildings look powerful and it'll probably help with the resource traps that newbies and the AI will stumble into.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

I'm still struggling to figure the economy out. In a MP game I'm a Fanatic Materialist, Egalitarian megacorp and I'm struggling to produce enough alloys to have a meaningful navy. Everything appears to be a tradeoff - this is a good thing but I have no idea where the balance is.

So you need minerals for loving everything. Okay, cool. Max out mining districts on most planets so they build more minerals. Now I need alloys so I can build ships and expand. Cool. Throw out a couple alloy forges. But right now my research sucks and my pops are unhappy (or about to be soon). So I need research and amenities. Both of those take consumer goods. Okay. Build some civilian industries, then build Holo theaters and Labs. Now I have jack poo poo for minerals again... so repeat everything above. Again. Now wait, so I want more alloys now because even with three or four forges I'm only at like +25 a month. To upgrade those I need motes. To get motes I either need to mine them in space (which you can get hosed by this) or build a chemical plant. Okay, build a chemical plant - but wait - you need minerals to fuel those.

Now repeat. Because as you expand to fuel your ever increasing need for minerals you need more researchers to offset the research penalties, which requires more consumer goods which requires more minerals.

So I feel like I'm going in circles. What is the secret to this system that I am missing?

Try using commercial zones for clerk jobs instead of a lot of holo theaters. They produce trade value which can be converted into consumer goods and energy and best of all they'll still produce amenities which will benefit from worker productivity techs.