Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I very much appreciate the tech/tradition cost slider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey you can look at the details of crystal ships now, that's neat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Gaia start is pretty interesting. With the change to make it so each system increases the cost of your tech, even without planting a new colony there, you can't blob out by just claiming systems and putting down mining/research stations. You really need to focus on getting the high value ones and forgoing the other ones.

I'm not sure how viable it is given that you really can't just claim ideal systems as islands and hope to hold onto them, and snaking is pretty risky too.

I'm not sure about that given that you... absolutely can just build more resources on the systems you claim? The main difference is that you can't exploit planets until much later in the game, but in exchange you have a very strong initial planet which can easily count as the output from multiple lesser worlds.

It's going to make getting habitats or world shaper a priority though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can get more resources of course, but you're more limited in the tech points you can get and the unity you can generate. Since you basically have to do a one city challenge for a while, unless you get really lucky and find another Gaia world that isn't protected by a fallen empire, it means you need to keep the research and unity costs down and maximize your benefit per system.

You probably also need to keep a bigger fleet than normal, given that the pirates will be a bigger problem for you than a regular empire.

I mean, unless your systems have a serious dearth of research mines you should still be better off building up wherever you can, not to mention the need for minerals and energy?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wow the piracy event does not gently caress around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

axeil posted:

Oh poo poo it does?? Well that explains a lot :negative:

Do pirates steal resources if they blow up your outposts? That...would explain a lot.

No clue but mine just spawned a second wave at about 400 fleet power and armed with T2 armour and autocannons :stare:

I haven't even upgraded my weapon tech yet, it's certainly a change! If I hadn't been building up to blow through some crystals I'd have been in a real bind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

With the fact that defense armies are now a bit tougher than basic assault armies, I feel like picking very strong/resiliant might actually make your planets very hard to capture.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I know what I'm going to add as a species, ravenous hive of literal ticks that are impossible to dig out once they get established :getin:

The end goal being to troll people into playing purifiers just so they can sterilize everything from orbit out of frustration.

To be honest, armageddon bombardment should probably be allowable against genocidal hivers cos you're going to kill them all anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm really enjoying the disengagement mechanics, I'm slowly whittling down these crystals blocking me in by throwing my fleet at them repeatedly, I'm losing some ships but depsite them slightly outclassing me, I'm actually beating more of them in each attack than I lose, which is an interesting dynamic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do wish that upgrading ships didn't reset their experience, on normal tech progression I can't imagine that experience is going to be at all useful if that's the case.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Ok raiders are ripping through my territory now with an 8k fleet, I've only got 6k. Some jerk paid them to attack me and now I'm getting owned hard.

Depending on your fleet composition you should actually be able to do something about that, try and get an admiral with Trickster or use a doctrine that improves your chance to disengage, and just fight them, chances are you won't actually lose that many ships and can disengage after doing damage to them.

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm just picking up traditions willy nilly and not bothering to finish any trees.

Every tree you open increases your costs for new traditions, this isn't advised.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Uhhhh, I just offered to do an active sensor link with a fallen robot empire and now I have the entire map explored :stare:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fleet cap is increased by population and, as before, building and upgrading starbases. Build anchorage modules on starbases, increase your starbase cap, and build the building that improves anchorage naval cap production, also there are a number of researches that improve your naval cap as well as traditions and ascension perks.

Basically, play the game and your fleet cap will go up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that the only modules starbases are allowed to have is anchorages and shipyards and the rest are all totally useless, got it.

Nnnooooo... they have a variety of other modules that provide economic benefits which are quite useful for replacing your ships when they are destroyed, which they will be if you're fighting people a lot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like the hyperlane registrar upgrade would be very nice to put on outposts, perhaps they could have an extra building slot or something just for that? It'd be nice to be able to build roads through your empire until you get gates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I understand it you don't want to do a total war, you want to capture the stuff you want to capture and then settle for the status quo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The way regenerative hull plating works I feel like you could make some fairly hench builds out of just buffing your hull and armour points and sticking that on, especially as it regenerates armour twice as fast as hull.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah, but it's like they will nearly always equal my navy size or at least start making GBS threads out ships way faster than I can. Do AI get economic bonuses (i hope not)

The AI was always very keen to build up its navy if it borders a player because it assumes you're going to be a conquering dickhead. It will run over its naval cap gladly and tank its economy in the process to keep you at bay. But bear in mind that the way engagement works now if you take supremacy and use retreat doctrines and light ships you should be able to put disporportionate dents into a larger force than yours which I believe will run up their war exhaustion faster than yours?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

That's the thing, though. I want to fill in the empty space because it looks ugly on the map, but it's pretty clear that the optimal path is to not spend 100 minerals and a bunch of influence just to unlock the ability to build a single +2 research station.

Maybe pirates are threatening enough now that I'll be forced to fill in the gaps, but right now I dunno, It feels out of whack.

You shouldn't, as a rule, have many systems with only a +2 research in them, the lowest I have is at least 2 size 2 deposits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I agree that it's a bit of a choice between a web and noodles at this point, clusters of interconnected stars linked by pathways would be a bit more interesting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guilliman posted:

For those interested,

Guilli's planet modifiers mod has been updated to 2.0
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865040033

drat now I wish I hadn't already started my game...

gently caress I might have to restart it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I agree but I think the intent is less to make earlygame wars impossible but to limit the amount of actual claiming you can do. What you build up to is the ability to wipe out bigger chunks of the enemy in one go.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The fleet manager is utterly incomprehensible. I have a fleet with 37 corvettes and two destroyers. My fleet management states that the layout should be 5 destroyers to 20 corvettes. I click reinforce - it queues up two extra corvettes.

I would guess that you created that fleet by adding ships to it and the ships are not of the designs fitting the template.

The manager will simply build the ships you assign to its template, if you add extra ships into the fleet manually, then it will obviously not delete the old ones to make room for the new ones.

If it ordered more corvettes that's probably because you have fewer of that design in the fleet than the template is set to, so it builds them to fill it, that's how it's supposed to work.

Basically if you want to build a fleet, go into the manager and fill it up with designs in there, then just hit reinforce and it'll buy ships from shipyards until it reaches that loadout. Very simple honestly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Also there's a lot of jank around upgrades, if your designs upgrade but the fleet hasn't been upgraded it can't "see" those ships anymore because it reports 0 of the current design so thinks there's no ships in the fleet. You absolutely have to keep your ships upgraded or the whole fleet manager goes janky.

What would be really nice is if you lowered the number of ships of a class in a fleet it would give you the option of disbanding just those ships. So say you have 20 destroyers in a fleet and want only 15. You can decrease the number but then it just reports as 20/15 ships but its cleared that space out of the template cap so now you added a couple new cruisers and the fleet sees this is all within cap, so when you hit reinforce it builds those 2 cruisers but can't place them in the fleet because of the 5 extra destroyers. You can disband the entire group of destroyers with one click, but if you just want to get rid of 5 you have to track the fleet down and manually remove 5 destroyers. An extra button on the line-item of the ship class to "cull to size" or "delete extras" would be great, much like auto-reinforcing a fleet also allow a one-click way of auto-disbanding.

What would be even gooder would be a reserve pool. You build ships, they go into a reserve pool and are then deployed to fleets as needed and when you lower the number of ships in a fleet they'd go off into this pool to be used elsewhere, but that would be a big change.

I would suggest that "split fleet to match template" would be better than "delete ships to match template" The game already doesn't display the tiny reinforcement fleets so you could make it so that sheared off ships just fly to a starbase and create a fleet over there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I have never designed a single ship in the game. I only use the auto-generated designs, and throughout this game I have not once manually constructed any ships. All ships in that fleet came from the single auto-design made by the game, and all were built by hitting that reassign button.

On another note, War Exhaustion has made sieging planets honestly pointless affairs. That along with the buffs to defensive armies have made conquering planets extremely difficult if they have a single fortress, and this is with indiscriminate bombing. The new mechanics at play are all great, but the numbers do seem like they need a considerable amount of tweaking.

Then the issue there is that the auto designer will be constantly updating the design and older versions of the design don't count as being the templated design, you also need to upgrade your ships before reinforcing or it will build more ships of the latest version to fill the fleet, because it sees you don't have any of the latest, templated version.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I've gone from sort of understanding the basics of the game to not having an idea what I'm doing in any way.

It's great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

You know, looking back, I think my main issue with Exterminators is simply that building all of those pops is too drat expensive.

Like why does it cost as much to build a pop as it does to build a starbase? I just think that's a little too restrictive.

You're building something like five hundred million robots. It costs a bit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PRAISE THE SUN posted:

I'd like it if my ship contstruction interface didn't constantly get clogged up by auto generated ships. gently caress off, I'll make my own designs :|

Look at the bottom left of the ship designer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

theyy lmao.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can you land clearance a habitat?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bugger.

Really trying to figure out the optimal way to play this gaia start, I want all the habitation options I think but I might have to drop one for something else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

game pls

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Time to run that tech tree up like some nerd's underwear up a flagpole.

I had a game (in 1.9) where I was blocked in by BOTH the Dimensional Horror and the Ether Drake (one after the other). I was 100% immune to attack for a very, very long time. It was the best game.

Edit: you even have two unsettled worlds at least. That's a great defensive position.

I am a gaia only start :v:

So I'm not actually in too bad a way, it is a good position yes and "heaven's gate" couldn't be a better name for the only way into the core of an empire based around the idea of guarding a literal doorway to heaven.

I managed to salvage some autocannons off a pirate raid (nice little balls of free tech they are, especially valuable on 2x tech costs) and they're basically perfectly designed for cloudbusting, doing +100% shield and +25% hull damage. So my plan is to try and bulk out my fleet a bit and knock those clouds out. I managed to sneak some ships past them so I'm exploring the other side but it's going to be a micromangement pain until I shift them.

Gyrotica posted:

Is that x.75 density? Because it looks perfect for what I want.

That is 0.75 density and a 4 arm spiral map. 2 arm is a bit more noodly, and 0.5 is very noodly too, it's the best map I've rolled so far so yes it looks good.

Whole thing:

I put wormholes up to 1.5 and gates down to 0.5 too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 23, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Tech up terraforming and habitability and settle them anyway. It doesn't take much to get to bare minimum habitability to put some pops over there. Then build robots everywhere.

Spiritualist :v: no robots. Honestly by the time I get terraforming to gaia worlds it'll be moot. I just need to keep expanding and claiming ground and I can set up a shipyard past the black hole to resupply on the far side.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QOL request would be to allow ships with +1 sensors to path into the fog, because they can absolutely do it, I just don't want to have to keep clicking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Starbases can make a ton of energy if you fill them mostly with trade depots and poo poo. I'm getting like 40+ energy from each one and my empire's energy balance is only about +20 so those trade-focused star bases are life-savers.

Yeah really I've converted my starting starbase into one of those ASAP and moved my shipyard closer to the front for faster repairs and reinforcement in both my games so far, it works well. They're not too expensive to retrofit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

What I'm not getting yet is if its ever worth it to put more batteries/hangars on a station instead of whatever? Doesn't seem like a good tradeoff for what you get?

If you're using the station as a fortress, probably, it's a signfiicant amount of gunnery located behind a lot of hitpoints. A key thing is that more guns is very important for dealing with more ships because they tend to spread their damage out a bit, so you need a lot of them to do anything significant to a fleet.

The base itself has a lot of hitpoints and it gets more with each gun battery you add, so you're basically making a super platform out of it and protecting any auras it gives for longer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given the reference it's fairly appropriate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually I was thinking of restarting, but I ended decided to toss my 550ish fleet power corvette (+ancient shipyard frigate) flotilla at one of the 750-ish clusters just to see how it went. Surprisingly my fleet won with 3 corvettes and the Frigate left on the field, and didn't even suffer any permanent losses thanks to the retreat mechanic. I think kept building up and sweeping groups with a technically weaker fleet.

Turns out the drones are weaker than their combat power suggests.

Weapon loadout is supremely important in this patch, drones in particular only do 25% damage to shields and will take increased damage from both lasers and missiles, so if you build a shield heavy fleet with lasers and missiles you will absolutely annihilate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That must've been it, my corvettes were all blue lasers (only improved weapon I had researched at the time) with 2 shields and 1 armor for defense.

Not really familiar with the ship building stuff so far.

I strongly recommend you check the modifiers on all weapons and especially the designs of the NPC stuff now, which you can look at since the patch, the NPC weapons have particularly extreme modifiers which makes them also quite valuable to acquire, I suspect.

Also on an unrelated note I think the listening post doesn't actually add 2 to sensor range, but rather sets it to flat 2.

I should have 3 systems of range including the T2 sensors. Or maybe 4?