Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

So how is the game now that they have forced hyperlanes on everyone? I really like my wormholes and being able to head off any fleet. Is corvette spam still a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

Slow as molasses and yes.

PittTheElder posted:

It's slow as gently caress and wars are annoying because the AI is determined to be as annoying as possible without any real hope of accomplishing much. And yeah it's still pretty much the best thing going as near as I can tell.

So it's slow as gently caress now and spam is still a thing. Sounds like a step backwards. Did they at least change warscore and get rid of the whole "oh you completely dominated me and occupied all my territory. You have enough score for these two planets. How about a 10 year truce?"

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

If hyperlanes are roads, it would be nice if there was a Stellaris equivalent of railroads in some of the Civ games- something you can build at greater expense on some of your most traveled routes to significantly speed up fleets passing through them.

That would be pretty cool actually. So ships can only spool up a hyperdrive as fast as they do because of size limitations, so you can have a giant external hyperdrive allowing them to spool up, and propel them, faster. I actually really like that idea. It gives you an advantage on home turf and allows you to catch or catch up to invading fleets. Also means you can strategically destroy the generator to slow fleets to your speed.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

Oh and uh, the way FTL works is that you now have to actually go to the appropriate side of the system you're in before you can FTL to the target system, no more just heading to the nearest edge. This is a major part of why it is so slow.

Woah woah woah so you can't just be out of the gravity well and jump? If the system you want is to the south and you arrive in the north you need to literally travel to the south side before it lets you jump? drat that sounds tedious as all hell.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Bloodly posted:

This is yet another reason corvettes are favoured right now-they move the fastest in-system, so they're easy to put them where they need to actually be. It's also why everyone is going all afterburners, all the time(For the extra in-system speed), which also helps the favoured evasion tactics of the corvettes.

So its a double whammy. Corvette spam was already a thing but now its even more so. Seems like an unintentional buff to me.

That's a shame, I did like my battleships but now they have to slowboat it across systems too to jump. Why use them?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

Slower overmap movement means where you have your fleet matters more, and having one big deathball is very weak to other strategies. Later on you can make gateways to connect disparate parts of your empire if you desire, and jump drives are a thing still. Increased sensor range becomes useful as you're able to react to threats soon. Changing this too much is going to start messing with how a lot of things are balanced currently, I'd recommend actually playing the current game before digging into mods.

Despite what people go on about, corvettes aren't the be-all and end-all of ship+fleet design. The computer doesn't take steps to counter your fleet composition so the downsides to missile/torp corvettes aren't exploited. For example cruisers/battleships can get 75%+ hit rate against 90% evasion corvettes, and field guns that do enough damage that your corvettes get maybe 1 roll for disengage (I can go dig up the tech layout for kinetic artillery to have 75% hit rate if you like, other weapons are more accurate). If you force the fight in a black hole system there is a -50% chance to disengage, there is a starbase module with -20%, and a titan aura for another -10%. The AI also doesn't build border fortresses, so you're not fighting into an extra 60% hp/armor/dmg and negative auras (like -20% shields, or that -20% disengage chance).

Basically the only thing that isn't really viable right now are strike craft, the edge that a torp corvette has over a mixed fleet is not big enough for that to be the difference maker against the AI. Having a smaller reactive corvette fleet that you combine with border forts while the bulk of your fleet is on the attack can work just fine. Larger ship sizes will have more chances to disengage, and larger weapon slots do better damage (useful for attacking stations or when the AI fields larger ship sizes). As always, the key to winning wars is more about building a stronger economy and turning that into a stronger fleet and winning one sided fights.

Never thought of the strategic use for slower map movement. So Corvettes aren't the absolute king of combat then or at least in single player (I never play multi player) anyway. That's good to hear. Thanks for the info ZypherIM. Did they ever buff fortresses and the like? Are are they still only there to buy a few seconds now that you can't make fortress flowers.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

When the contingency hubs trigger they automatically convert the system to their ownership. I had a 50k power mega defense chokepoint system which got a hub, starbase and its platforms vanish instantly without a fight. Yes the 200k or so of enemies would have won, but my 150k fleet 2 jumps away may have been able to change the tide.

Sounds like a bit of an oversight on paradoxes part. Would've been cool if the contingency awakens on one of your populated worlds (necron style) and having your ground forces fight larger and larger waves as the ghost signal gets stronger and legions of synths awaken. Could have events too were your tiles are locked one by one on the planet as they become over run and turn into machine cities matrix style. If you hold them off you can have event chains as your soldiers delve deeper into the catacombs.

Jabarto posted:

Fortresses in the form you're thinking of don't exist anymore. Each system can now have a starbase which, among other things, can be decked out with weapons batteries to fortify a system, auras that give bonuses to your ships or penalties to enemy ships, and surrounded by defense platforms (similar to what fortresses used to be, actually, but can't be built separately from a starbase). They won't stop a truly dedicated attack force but they'll be more than enough to deal with smaller fleets and support your own fleets if they're in the same system.

Oh that's ok then at least you can have a semi-decent fortification then that'll at least buy a bit of time. Are the auras still area of effect or system wide?

Thrasophius fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 2, 2018

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Kaal posted:

The math for war exhaustion makes no sense and isn't worth understanding to my mind. It just is a black box to me. Lose ten systems and three planets? No worries. Do your battleships take damage in the process but not actually suffer losses? 5% war exhaustion. Your corvettes get slammed and emergency warp out? Totes fine. Does nothing happen all month? 1% war exhaustion.

That sounds really lovely. What happens when you reach 100%? Is it like Europa where everything goes to poo poo and people rebel?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Thanks for bringing me up to date on things guys. Reading patch notes is fine and all but it's nice to hear how they have affected the game. So overall is post 2.0 an improvement?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

How viable is building tall as one planet these days? I tried it before the removal of wardrobes and had a lot of fun and I like the idea of a Cadia style fortress world but I don't see the point if some can just rock up with a doomsday weapon.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

That only matters if they have a doomsday weapon and by that point of the game you should have the megastructure that allows you to see everything so that way you can track any possible superweapons coming into your territory.

That is a very good point. Doesn't even need a full upgrade, just enough to see it incoming and react.

Elman posted:

A War in Heaven started and the 2 fallen empires were in opposite ends of the galaxy with half of my empire between them so I refused to join in, I was 10 planets away from victory anyway so there was no point.

Then my federation decided to join in anyway and now I'm stuck in what seems like an unwinnable war :negative:

Joining a federation... Just don't. Had so many games fall apart because I joined one that I don't even touch that part of the game now.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Which is worse; Federations or ground fighting?

Federations by far and away.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Elman posted:

I just started a new game and after declaring my first war I ran into this:

What's up with that? How did they build a station in that system with all those aliens hanging out in there?

I was able to circle around them and I won the war just fine but that system's gonna be annoying until I can clear it out. I'm forced to micro every ship that sails through there.

I remember the first time I found that asteroid belt. I knew it was too good to be true and had my fleet based there during peace time. The event triggered and I just wiped them out no problem. I wish I wasn't so paranoid in games like this and think everything is too good to be true. It sucks when things aren't a surprise anymore.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Kaal posted:

Terrible Khanate Vassal System Report: So first I took advantage of my Khanate overlords to snipe every planet they took (because I could always get a construction ship to build an outpost before they could conquer a planet) , while also preventing their opponents from retaking them (because they were fighting the Khan, not me). But the good times couldn't last, and eventually the Khan caught the flu and died. No problem right? My Vassal buddies University of Planet and I rebelled together and quickly put the New Khanate on the back foot. However halfway through, the other empires sensed that the Khanate was weakening and joined the assault. But since we were still technically vassals, we got dragged into defending the Khanate that we were also attacking. We then concluded the war with the Khanate with Victory, but since the UoP had declared the war, only they were released as vassals. I now am finding myself defending the Khanate that I had just rebelled against. Not really sure how I can conceptualize it.

Should've checked the fine print before signing the contract. Joking aside that sounds really god drat buggy and frustrating. I've not played under the Khanate system, does it force you into peace with the Khan or were you simultaneously at war but also defending the Khan? I guess you could RP it and think of it as you both realised if you continued to war then both of you would have been destroyed by outside forces.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Kaal posted:

Bowing to the Khan exits any war that you are in. You'll then be in a demi vassalage where you scramble to pick up systems while the countless Khan fleets conquer the galaxy and try to colonize it. When the Khan dies you'll be either the vassal of the Khan or in a Federation. As a vassal, there's all sorts of restrictions (including not being allowed to build outposts) and you're bound to join any war on the part of the Khan. However another vassal can invite you to join in an attack on the overlord. But apparently if you win only the declaring party will be freed. And if anyone else declares on the Khan, or the Khan declares on someone else, you will be forced to join that war on the Khan's side. Also you cannot declare war on the Khan yourself unless neither of you are uninvolved in wars. On top of that, the New Khanate frequently rebels against itself, meaning you have to resolve that, and any other wars that might pop up as people nibble on the carcass of the Khanate.

It's a bit of a mess, and it's not particularly intuitive. Which is appropriate in some ways, but could probably be reworked in a number of ways to be less exploitable. That being said, I'm having a ton of fun on Grand Admiral with early mid and late game, and my Hive Empire is doing really well, having defeated the Khanate successors entirely, is in the midst of converting the population into Genejacks (sadly they aren't Nerve-Stapled because the penalties are too harsh unless you're manually assigning them to be slaves - hopefully that sort of thing will be easier in the future expansion). Right now I'm looking forward to taking out all the nearby Leviathans and then opening up the L Gates on an unprepared galaxy.

Sounds like a pretty interesting system if I'm honest. Plenty of potential for fun at least. I'm gonna have to give it a try and see how I fair. Shame there isn't really an intrigue system in the game so you can bring them down from within without weapons.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Aethernet posted:

Performance is king. If I had a better machine it'd be all large all the time, but medium is necessary.

I miss my rig back home. Can run absolutely anything. I'm long term abroad at the moment so I have to play on my ancient laptop on small. It just isn't the same going from an immense map to this tiny thing. Feels so confined. Can't build the thing that reveals the map either because it tanks my frame rate to pretty much unplayable levels.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Elman posted:

Ok I got to the late game for the first time and I can now finally understand why people dislike tiles so much. Early game it's a good system but then you start building ringworlds and expanding like crazy and suddenly you have to build, upgrade and maybe build robots in ~125 tiles at the same time and the game basically turns into a very elaborate version of Cookie Clicker.

Don't forget the Dyson sphere to power the robots. I had one game where i'd built a ringworld, then found the cybrex ringworld about 3 jumps away, and conquered the 3 ringworlds of the fallen empire. Populating 500 tiles was ridiculous. I was practically a machine empire by the time I'd finished because my regular species was outnumbered by robots so much. Didn't help i was attempting a semi-tall build by limiting my empire to one sector. Needless to say my fleets and armies were unstoppable and the game got pretty boring because i just rolled over every awakened empire and the end game crisis too.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

I'm picking up the game again now. What are some of the better builds out there at the moment?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Nessus posted:

Individualist/Collectivist remains powerful.

winterwerefox posted:

I'm a fan of Fanatic Spiritualist/Authoritarian Empire. Get yourself imperial cult and cut throat politics. you will have a nice flow of influence and cheap edicts.

Thanks. That imperialist one actually sounds pretty good, I'll give that a try and see how it turns out. Lots of influence is always nice.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Just started a new game in 2.1. drat the performance sucks, what the hell happened? Are there any tweaks I can do?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

willing to settle posted:

I always rationalize Gaia worlds as having weird ancient nanites that adapt the environment to whoever is living there at the moment.

Sounds plausible. I mean we have ring worlds, the warp and extra dimensional beings. Why couldn't a Gaia world be a planet that adapts to a species with super advanced technology. Maybe even give science modifiers as you unlock said technology so to be able to terraform things to a Gaia you must first control one and study it. Kind of like a king of the hill type thing so Gaia worlds or a bit more of a hot spot.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Anno posted:

Fired the game up for the first time since I think my playthrough when Utopia launched. I enjoyed it at launch and then, just not as much as some other games. The way the game is now, though, and with a handful of mods, I find this incredibly engrossing. I think I'll set Civ 5 VP aside for awhile and try to get better at this game. I thought I was going to wait until 2.2 to really jump back in and have fun but it's been a blast so far.

And just as a general thing, the soundtrack to this game continues to be among the best out there, I think.

Soundtracks awesome that's for sure. I am a bit the opposite though, I think it's a lot slower now. You can't have your fleet explore, you have to send science ships everywhere first. I liked scouting systems with loads of bodies for the big resources there. I don't like that you need to scan the entire system before you can slap down an outpost where before you could scan the star, put an outpost down for the influence zone and finish scanning later. I don't like that you need an outpost in every single system too rather than an influence zone from one outpost covering multiple stars and I don't like being forced to use hyper lanes.

I know lots of people think it's an improvement but it just feels off to me.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

More ship packs in general really.

Yeh I find it a little immersion breaking when exploring the vastness of space and then "Captain, that ship is exactly the same as this one but with xenos on board". Didn't realise mammals had some kind of cloud sharing for ship blueprints.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Complications posted:

I wish federations in base Stellaris were like the STNH UFOP one wherein you can incorporate your 'allies' (burdens) into your empire peaceful nation after a process and gain benefits from doing so. Like with vassals. Oh, and making it possible to tell the AI no to its war, not gain a stupid diplomacy malus from doing so, and not have to do it again in a week when the diplomat script runs again. Plus your diplomacy outside of the federation gets crippled. Plus the federation fleet is of dubious use. Plus dealing with rival federations is a pain in the rear end because there's no wooing a nation away from them because of those ridiculous diplomacy bonuses, and you can't invite nations from other federations into your federation because...reasons? And you can't tell a nation to end its association with that federation even for a casus belli. And you can't just break up the federation to make diplomacy possible again. Much like how vassals are almost always auto-loyal to their liege which makes supporting independence one of those feels-good-does-nothing options.

Actually after this economic update can diplomacy get a similar overhaul? Just a partial one, even?

Sooooooo basically federations are the EU of stellaris.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Nightgull posted:

They also provide a good challenge for a powerful player empire, I always play xenophobic isolationists and it’s interesting to see what federations development to oppose me.

That is one good point. Always fun having them oppose my empire rather than them staying alone and being snipped up by me or another empire. I always love having one bro empire. I usually uplift and mold them and tag team the coalition that forms against us.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Federations should be set up a lot more like the HRE in EU4. It exists as an entity with independent members that have mutual defence pacts to various degrees. Over time the player or AI can try to centralise and create reforms and more mutual cooperation between members (like fleets or stuff like free trade) but crucially a federation can exist in many different forms.

It’d also be a decent framework for certain empire types. Imagine being a single planet empire that controls a vast federation of vassal states either through imperial might or noble privilege.

Edit: something I’d like to see is de jure sectors. Galaxy gen has already moved towards tight clusters separated by a few choke points. Imagine your core sector being just your starting cluster and other clusters being a limiter on what you can control directly.

I would love that but also for there to be some kind of intrigue involved like lots of backroom deals and such all the way to the federation joining into one democratic state when in actuality it is ruled by you from the shadows.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Ham Sandwiches posted:

please don't make minority pops more likely to commit crimes in the new crime system :(

I'd say that would be fine if they actually had a reason. Like if they are oppressed or being persecuted/purged then sure make them more likely. If they are welcomed with open arms and given everything on a plate then yes it would be silly for that to happen.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I think it would be cool if gene-modding focused races could create bio-robots. Function like droids but consume food and are extra creepy.
I also think something like 40k servitors would be fun. Cybernetic countries could create slave cyborgs either from ethnically vat-grown bio-engineered stock or from undesirable pops. Mix slavery with cyborg assimilation for that extra dose of body horror, could consume half food half energy. Would just generally love more flavour options, things that aren't really significantly better/worse but really make your society feel unique.

Servitors would go well with spiritual races. Gives them an alternative seeing as they hate AI and all so just use the brain of a living thing. drat I would love some 40k style crisis like a great warp rift. That'd be awesome. I know the swarm is very tyranid like but it wouldn't hurt to have more.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Splicer posted:

It's weird you can't colonise barren planets with robots.

I've always wondered that too. I mean you can build a space station that can fly drones down through the atmosphere to collect minerals one barren worlds but it's somehow harder to start an automated factory with robots to run a colony.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Nessus posted:

A lot of this is just "gameplay logic" but I figure the outposts always represented like the one big exploitable thing on that planet, with the rest being completely ignored. But - and I can hear people already typing 'ah but consumer goods already covers this' - you could consider that a colony is probably giving you its NET minerals, not the gross, and is breaking a piece off for internal consumption, with the reward being flexibility, increased soft military power, etc.

Yeh that's a good way of looking at it. It would also mean that there would be an enormous increase in habitable worlds once you unlock robots. Could you imagine basically unlocking every planet in the galaxy bar gas giants. it would be pretty OP. I don't know how it would work with the new planet system though.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Gave up playing for a bit. How is performance these days? Since the planet update changing all the pops, Stellaris has been running like crap for me. Heard it was the same for a lot of people.

Looking forward to relics actually doing something though.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Shugojin posted:

It's been fine for me every since that biiiig bug related to trade calculations and gateways got fixed.

Maybe that's what was causing it for me. Didn't hear about that fix. I'll have to give it another shot and try running it through the exe like splicer said. Guess it wouldn't harm to have a few performance mods too. I'm on a really lovely laptop for the time being.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Shugojin posted:

If your performance was fine before gateways activated and then took an absolute poo poo as soon as they did, this was your problem.

I heard about that one. Wasn't it something to do with the AI on the other side of it? I don't think it was that though, it wasn't a sudden drop just a slow to a crawl over time, even more rapidly than it did before the pop change.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Splicer posted:

It's a bit messy.

Let's say every system has three connections. If you have a reach of one then you check each of those 3 and you're done.

If you have a reach of two then, assuming a very naive implementation, you check each of those three, then each of the three they connect to. 12 total checks.

Reach of three, 39 checks per station.

Station with six weapon or trade modules, 1,092 total checks per station.

Now there's some obvious tricks to reduce these checks by avoiding duplicates. Not performing checks on the direction you "entered" drops you down to 186 checks in our above scenario. Presumably they already had some in. But yeah as your stations get bigger and more numerous with more modules, if they're getting checked every tick that's a lot of extra overhead being slowly added as the have goes on.

Now put a gateway in range of one of them and suddenly every single gateway is effectively a new station. Repeat for every station touching every gateway. So a gradual slow down as the galaxy increases the number and reach of stations, followed by an acceleration as empires start bringing gateways online, with a massive bump when your personal gateways come online.

Gonna have to tone down on the gateways then. Hopefully that'll help give me a boost. At the moment I can only handle a small galaxy, which I'm fine with but hopefully doing something with the gateways will help my games last a little longer and not slow to a crawl.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Lazyhound posted:

I installed ST:New Horizons and I’ve got mixed feelings about it so far. Some things are really neat, like the anomalies being more elaborate to the point of feeling like mini-episodes. Other things are incomprehensible, like permanently hiding hyperspace lanes. I’m guessing this is to make it feel more like warp travel, but it’s a terrible choice for this game engine.

Played around with it a while ago. Some stuff sticks out like the hyperspace, as you mentioned, but overall I find it pretty neat. Really enjoyed it.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Federations already fight in the same wars together.

I like the idea of "here's a fleet that collectively represents the best of everyone's tech and is a symbol of goodwill and collaboration and such" but federation fleet management is not only not integrated with the rest of the ui for design and fleets, but actively makes the fleet ui less usable.

Yeh I want some kind of grand coalition thing going on with federation fleets. Think mass effect with all the fleets coming together. It would be cool having a separate fleet ship window where you can put technology from all members onto the ship's. Maybe even unique ship designs only available to a federation ship, members can have a vote on the design focus of the ships like extra speed or tank. Nothing game breaking but it would make being in a federation interesting.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Complications posted:

There's a button in the window when you select a fleet that'll say lead allied fleets or somesuch. Click that and the AI will do its best to follow that fleet with most or all of its own.

I did not know that. Shows how much I bother with federations.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

So either it was a bug or crises have a chance at not spawning. I just did a regular run and nothing happened. I mean I'm not too salty because I loving hate the unbidden and it was nice not seeing them for once but still, it felt a little odd.

Do the unbidden still have that bug where you can warp a single combat ship to the portal and every fleet they have returns to defend it? It was so funny watching 200k+ fleets scrambling home to defend against a single corvette while my main fleet mopped up their constructors and station things. It was really useful because once I was ready I used it to let them warp their fleets out one at a time into my anti-unbidden fleet. Made the crisis comically easy actually.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

The Vikings posted:

Just got back into this since apocalypse. Started a few games, where did all the space monsters go :( Barely seen anything in my large/huge galaxies where there used to be lots of drones, ameobas, space whales, etc. Any mods to boost those spawn rates back up?

I noticed that too. Everything feels kind of... empty. I mean I know it's space so of course it will be empty but now it just feels boringly so. I want it like the old days where it turns out I'm surrounded by powerful monster fleets with one way in and out that they don't occupy and trying to build poo poo around that. Now I just cruise around with no competition until I run across another empire I don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

skasion posted:

This is a pretty concise way of summing up my problem with the tech system. The fact that tech progression is both mostly random and mostly blind makes it a pain in the rear end to do anything specific or purposeful with tech, and that’s lame. You get what you get, if you don’t like it tough poo poo wait. It’s not satisfying gameplay wise.

Yeh I hate that too. I mean sure having a tech tree would just mean it becomes optimised and you follow the same paths over and over depending on build but the randomness is annoying. I mean for gently caress sake it can't be completely random if it's taking one of the research suggestion slots to suggest a particular tech for the fifth time.