Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

So I managed to get 50 years into my first 2.0 game before I realized that having marauders wipe out half my infrastructure every year wasn't normal.

Apparently I had a wormhole in the middle of my empire, and wouldn't you know it - the other end was right next to the marauder home system on the other side of the galaxy. So every time one of my ~5 squabbling neighbors decided to pick a fight with another, I had a marauder fleet 3 times as powerful as any other standing fleet carving a path through my empire, bombarding one enemy planet, then carving a path back through. I couldn't interject with my own raids, either, because the AI knows exactly when the marauders are available and can spam it.

So I rerolled without marauders. Game is much better, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

DatonKallandor posted:

Marauders could do with some sort of bidding mechanic, because there's no indicator for players when they are "done" raiding and be bought again, so the AI just insta-rebuys them, every time.

IIRC, Sins of a Solar Empire had the marauder faction on a regular timer, and during the countdown you could bid on targets. Whichever empire received the highest collective bids would be the victim that round. In that system you couldn't be out spammed by omniscient AI, and the economics of it naturally scaled with how much people were willing to pay for - or against - the service.

Also, I think they should stop attacking everything between them and the actual target, especially when the damage caused by this is often greater than the damage dealt to the actual target.