Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wiz posted:

This is either a straight up lie or you haven't found the 'Defenses' tab yet.

EDIT: Hell, even without defensive platforms a Citadel with all turrets will be significantly more than 12k. I honestly think you're just making poo poo up.

He also started his first 2.0 game as an exterminator, he probably lagged hard behind everyone because he keeps getting invaded and can't even build citadels yet. :v:

Aethernet posted:

All the events with a timer to get to like Drill Rampage and the Pheremone one could really do with their deadline being increased significantly in line with slower movement overall.

Yeah, I got the drill rampage only a few systems away from my nearest colony (all my construction ships were on the other side of the empire), and there was basically no way to get there in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'll usually take 2 minerals over a bit of science in the early game tbh. Unless you're going for some kinda of science speedrun, minerals are always going to be your bottleneck.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, an extra colony is a big hit, extra system a small one. Wiz said this is because you usually can't control population growth, so you can't decide "ok I'm gonna stop now to research faster" with pops as you can with extra colonies or systems.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Descar posted:

Is the Precursor event broken again? I'm at year 330 and i only found 2/6, I really like this event so it's sad to see it gone again.

it works, but it might take a while for it to show up if you run out of scannable things

in my 2.0 game, I found the last piece of the thing in an allied neighbour's museum :3:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh btw, what are the requirements for the bonus civic technology now? I played up to 2400 and haven't got it for pick at all. Just bad rng? I did have the colonial thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

So. Weird game.

One side of my galaxy, literally split down the middle, is full of peaceful Federation Builders and Erudite Explorers and so on, who have blobbed up into a Federation since pretty early.

The other side of the galaxy is filled with Hegemonic Imperialists, Fanatic Purifiers and Slaving Despots and other mean types.

It's... kind of odd?

ah, the eternal left vs right wing struggle

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It would be real nice if we could like, click a "custom" ship type, and a new menu pops up like for biotrophies, and there's selections for military, civilian ships, stations, colosii, etc.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If you have any friend playing stellaris, a good way to get started is to sit in mumble and fed up with them. I've had a few complete newbies start like that (including me) and it worked great.

Enable tutorial and ask questions on mumble at the same time and you'll get most of what's needed to play.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

* Clicking your own empire shield on colonized systems in the galaxy map will now open planet view and cycle between colonies in that system
goty

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Guildencrantz posted:

There's a victory condition?

beating the endgame crisis imo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Arrath posted:

Something like the simulation of trade lanes from your outposts back to your colonized systems, representing how those resources get from your mines to the economy at large. Then pirates can park on those lanes and hit you with a penalty to whatever the income is?

That's how it works in endless space. And is also extremely good for getting rid of pops you don't like (just resettle them to a planet beyond the pirate trap, the transport ship is gonna get blown up :v:)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ZypherIM posted:

That is exactly what I meant by cycling. I'd have to do some checking, but I think that points spent on a tech that you stop researching degrade over time (points gained from science ship salvaging are exempt) and that'd sometimes just sort of waste your research time. If true then just not researching and banking research might be a decent option.

they don't decay, but as you expand they'll be worth less (you're bigger, you have a higher income and a higher penalty from colonized worlds/owned systems)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Habitats are hilariously powerful for power and science generation as they are, so I'm not really going to complain about them getting nerfed. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DoubleNegative posted:

My spaceport has some dummy items in its construction queue in the fleet manager. Is there any way to get rid of those? Clicking on them does nothing, and they're preventing me from reinforcing my fleets.

this happened to me once because I cancelled a bunch of ships in a shipyard when I accidentally reinforced a fleet I didn't mean to, I think. I had to make a new fleet to fix it (split a fleet off, assign admiral to the split fleet, hit merge, you now have a brand new fleet with the same ships/admiral), then set up the ships in fleet manager and it works ok again

e;fb, i should check the last page before posting

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 29, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you only need 51% votes in a federation to do something, so unless you're playing multiplayer with someone, your vote doesn't matter much past 1 ally :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
hell, slower migration is probably good, less downtime on your full planets

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Black Pants posted:

I'm kinda in love with genetic ascension non-zerg hivemind. Without the hungering swarm whatever civic, you're basically just playing one person with lots of arms and the dialog changes are pretty rad. And I also definitely love the genetic ascension path most of all three of them. (It is nice to capture -other- psionics though.)

they also have the best announcer voices.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tomn posted:

Sure - but as mentioned in my edit, a materialist ethic represents the philosophical rejection of non-material aspects of the world. To their mind, "will" is a biological/mechanical process. If psychic powers rely on the use of a will independent of the physical "host," however, that is deeply troubling to materialists. Non-materialists, even those who aren't spiritualists, can handle that fine. Materialists, less so.

i love technobabble about game mechanichs

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Matlock posted:

Did they actually move on you with them? Because afaik they don't actually.. do anything.

They did in my case, but my space was huge and by the time they reached any systems worth mentioning they were stretched so thin their fleets that started at ~20k strength were now at, and this is not hyperbole, 3 fleet strength. I imagine they were at zero minerals and power both or something?

e: this was in 2.0.1 or somesuch when the AI still kinda worked a bit tho.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 24, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

Though in cool things, if you zoom out now on a spiral arm galaxy, you can see the actual arms now via the dust that makes up them.

It worked like that before too? At least for me

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I got the worm exactly once and it was in a multiplayer game that ended prematurely due to rampant desyncs 80 years in :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Ships have fuel tanks, dodging bullets depletes fuel. Now evasion is also an additive defence, instead of multiplicative, unless your fights are very short.

Boring, but effective.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
av/post combo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Xenophiles own. Unless I'm playing hive/robots (which I mostly do), I roll some sort of xenophile egalitarians with utopian standards. Getting so much bonus from happiness and getting all the free pops owns.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nightgull posted:

I built all farms on that event size 25 Gaia world with the +20% food attribute, is that a good idea or did I waste a Gaia world. If it matters I’ll never have to build another farm again and my empire is growing like crazy with something like +30 food

this is a great idea actually, because when you ascend you only need to fix one planet :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Redeye Flight posted:

CK2 doesn't even come close to being the most expensive thing on the Steam store. I know for a fact that Train Simulator with all the DLC is up over seven thousand dollars at this point. Thousand, not hundred.

Though of course that's not a perfect comparison since trainwatchers specialize in their obsession, so probably (HOPEFULLY) no one person has every single thing.

I bought an 1850s train for train simulator (which I got in humble bundle) and it's very funny because it has no brake handle! Welp that's my train sim dlc story thanks for listening

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this is some seriously good poo poo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A really great addition for a market expansion, IMO.

Also, a big xenophobe nerf :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
endless legend is good and endless space 2 is amazing

it's really weird how much stellaris thread hates endless and endless thread hates stellaris, to me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Aethernet posted:

fake edit: EL > ES2
I'd agree if it weren't hampered by the fact that a few factions pretty much require playing manual battles because their power is derived from unit abilities and AI is really bad with those since it just rushes in and my favourite faction can rely on those a lot early in the game, which can really drag turns out and gets annoying

Sedisp posted:

Kinda makes sense to only like one though, Endless game's are heavily narrative based and in Stellaris you kind of have to make your own narrative.
Ehhh, I guess. After the first few games flew by, I just play both the same way, really. Both are paint-the-galaxy simulators, though ES2 gives you a few extra win-screen options (science, economy, industry, etc), if you choose to enable them

Ms Adequate posted:

I can see criticisms for ES (Haven't played 2) but EL is extremely good
ES1 was decent, probably good even, when it released, but there's much much better things out there now, with stellaris and ES2 easily taking the cake.

As for my dumb take on stellaris vs ES2,
Endless games are a lot shorter than stellaris, I'll give stellaris that easily. If you want to play a single game/empire/galaxy for a couple dozen hours and have poo poo to do and read all the way through, it's just not going to hold up like stellaris easily can in a big galaxy, whereas playing a long ES2 game just means you push end turn a lot while build/research queues tick away. There's also less exploration going on, since galaxies are tens instead of hundreds of systems. A lot less poo poo to colonize, too, and also each system is a single colony, rather than how stellaris handles planets. Stellaris can in general stretch its exploration and expansion content far further and longer than ES2, easily.

Stellaris is also much more multiplayer friendly. Since it's realtime, there's no waiting for turns, and if someone does get overwhelmed by text or events, a paused game for a minute every now and then still isn't nearly as bad as waiting for the guy with 10 fleets/30 colonies that need babysitting to finish his turn every 5 turns. Simulturns help a bit, but are not a universal remedy. This is also the reason I have way more hours in stellaris than ES2 :v:

On the other hand, ES2 has an empire I can play as literal space commies, and they have an amazing faction theme, and I love just playing them and assimilating the galaxy into my fully automated gay space communism where everyone is constantly at max happiness, while listening to industrial sounds and a chorus. Their main output is industry and influence, yes that influence, but there's a catch. They're the only faction that can flat out bankroll industry and science by spending influence and everything that costs industry to build awards a decent chunk of influence, so it's feedback loop which feels really good when you use and abuse it to snowball yourself to a victory on higher difficulties.

In stellaris, no factions get unique mechanics like that. The biggest thing on that level we have right now I feel is robots. There's a couple civics that go in that direction with purifiers/isolationists. Those change your diplomacy and warfare options a lot, and through that also how you'll expand and cope with neighbours. However, there's really nothing apart from robots (and arguably shroud, but that arrives pretty late) that makes internal empire development and economy quirks distinct between playthroughs. You mine minerals first, keep a steady income of energy and food and it ends there. It's not bad, it just... gets samey after a while, since it's just making crystal numbers grow as fast as possible every time.

I think what I'm trying to say is, I should mod that kinda poo poo into stellaris somehow. Also, apparently an endless legend expansion was announced today lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

ES1 was a good game that was slowly destroyed by fan pandering. Every update made it worse.

Stellaris was a mediocre game that is being improved by telling fans they don't know what they want. Every update makes it better.

Thus is birthed the conflict between our houses.

Honestly, I have no idea about that sorry. I played so much ES1 in early access I burnt out and barely touched it post-release.

OwlFancier posted:

If you put the Star Ruler economy into Stellaris I will be pretty hype because I enjoyed that.

:same:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rincewinds posted:

Pops being needy pissants would actually please me, but what I really want is randomly generated sector leaders that plot against you or rebel if you don't listen to their demands.

isn't this how it worked pre-utopia, basically?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

It might. AI and sector pop management is one of the reasons for late game slowdown.

Didn't someone on pdx forums figure out that switching your empire to a tiny one even in the late game makes the game run smooth as silk? Obviously if your big empire is now being managed by AI there should be more slowdown, not less, but here we are..

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
artisans churn out unity I guess? :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, that too. Unity and luxuries.

Also, I see blockers in that picture, but also a single tile from a gaia world.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wiz posted:

You won't be able to remove the categories entirely (as they also exist to organize the jobs interface-wise) but you *will* be able to eliminate all meaningful differences between them and give workers the same living standards and political power as rulers, etc.

:rip: stellaris 2.1, we hardly knew ye

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Aethernet posted:

Machines can't be communists. ORGANIC BOURGEOIS PREJUDICE!

Well, it's a hive mind.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I've done non-adaptive mechanists before, it's not ~optimal~, but it's not bad at all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, I don't bother colonizing below 60% habitability. The hit to Tradition and Science gain just doesn't seem worth it for a planet that won't really pay off until gene-modding. You might as well get gene-modding first and then colonize.

Personally, I rather spend energy on terraforming than science on gene modding. Terraforming also arrives much earlier than climategene-modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Where's the option for "Leaders earn poo poo, workers profit from their labour" Wiz? Wiz???

It's called hive mind.

Queens have to spit out drones all day, drones work on whateverthefuck the hive consensus is today.