Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Popoto posted:

The fact there is no way to keep those in check is the biggest crime.

Horace Kinch posted:

Whenever I get a terraforming candidate I name the star system "TERRAFORM ME" because if I don't I'll forget.

as pointed out, you see those planets in expansion planner, they stand out pretty well because they should be the only ones on the list since you can't colonize them until you terraform them :v:

also, expansion planner is kinda useless for me on most playthroughs too, because i tend to play small artisanal empires. but every now and then i'll play a wide hive/robots, and that gets extensive use of expansion planer throughout most of the time except maybe first 30 years. just sort by distance and start terraforming/colonizing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Stellaris really should have the option to let every player pick their preferred game speed and then run the actual game at the lowest selected, because right now the host has to manage that constantly depending on who wants what.

my group just defaults to "faster" 100% of the time and if someone is lagging with their stuff they pause the game for the 30s or whatever they need to get back above water. once big wars start happening we sometimes take it down to normal speed temporarily, but even that's been pretty rare lately as people get better at the game

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i replace everything with battleships as soon as i can afford it because they're sturdy and have big, long range guns.

if i'm playing against someone fielding a lot of corvettes i add some hangar/pd modules to some battleships per fleet, but generally the real enemies in the game are khan/crises/fallen empires and those field poo poo you want to kill from as far as possible, as quickly as possible, and not have to replenish a bunch of cruisers/corvettes every time, which is what artillery battleships excel at.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
in pvp wars, the meta is probably to have a mix of battleships and crisis corvettes or some poo poo isn't it, lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
wait, hold on. automated research?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that actually owns, between all this and the new automated planets i can basically focus 100% on warfare when playing the crisis lmao

last time this was possible was like 1.6. the only thing that isn't back yet is probably auto-colonization?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
picking the cheapest every time is a good strategy if you have good science production, because it's the most efficient. early on when you don't have tons of science yet it'll give you new techs quicker, making you grow faster, then you'll get the expensive techs quick anyway because you'll have tons of science

for normal runs where you're not swimming in science it's not so good, because without beelining something you want for your playthrough, you'll probably get it too late. still, against the AI, it kinda works regardless

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

boloney posted:

Should I pay attention to or care about ship experience at all?

build an academy on your main shipyard to have slightly better ships starting out, otherwise no

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i plop silos on every anchorage, next to naval logistics thingy and nebula miner or hydroponics

i don't think i've ever built them on planets

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i haven't bought a stellaris dlc in a longass time (i have a friend who buys and we play multiplayer so i get to play everything anyway), but the latest patch has been very good as ^^ said, also AI improvements and sector automation that i've bought a bunch of DLC on the sale a couple weeks ago, and also the latest one.

the whole custodian thing's been insanely good for the game imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

How the hell do you people have so much problems with piracy?

well, DRM tech requires taking the enigmatic engineering perk

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

I have 650 hours in this game, and this is the first time it's spawned within an area I could lay claim to.

ah, i see you're new here :v:

realtalk though sometimes rng is just rng. i've seen war in heaven fire only once so far and i, too, have 800 hours in this game, but i've seen the tomb world cluster spawn p. often

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dorkopotamis posted:

I hate how busy the game has become. So much thoughtless UI. So many choices hidden behind menus, hidden behind other menus. Micro upon micro. The game doesn't seem to punish you for not playing "optimally" and playing "optimally" is a headache and then some.

Compared to the EU4, CK3, HoI4... Stellaris is just a bloated messy bitch.

overlord is the first time since utopia that i can just let sectors manage all my planets and not fall terribly behind the AI, op

finally, i can play wide again and not just have to click loving everything myself after the first 20 years

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
if you're spamming 30 habitats per system, even only having 3 systems isn't exactly tall though :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
internal market should have an insane markup and break apart really quickly if you abuse it, and yeah, you should be able to only buy poo poo people sell on the galactic market. it works like that in endless space and it owns, people going for Big Money can actually manipulate it/buy it out

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the AI in general is way better than it was just a few patches ago

still not amazing, but it's definitely a threat now if you zone out. and yeah, crises will wreck your poo poo if you're not careful

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
humanoids does come with some pretty cool ships (that i never use), also 3 really good classic stellaris tune covers/remixes

megacorp also has the march of profits track, but that one's available on youtube

e: wait no i guess all the tracks are up on youtube now so just get the stuff you want for the content lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2_dkdJOeWY

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 17, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:orb:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Horace Kinch posted:

Case in point (from a recent MP game with some friends):

lol @ that empire name but also i'm sorry about your friends' political score :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Horace Kinch posted:

They are not very good at Stellaris but they enjoy playing either way. This game is much more fun when you're playing with pals.

oh i know, i play exclusively when we can get 4-5 friends online over the weekend

have a friend that learns the exact same newbie lessons every single game but he still likes the game a lot lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
more trees is great because it makes my empires more different

or would, if many of the original trees weren't so generalist they apply to everything you do, and are thus no-brainer picks, and then all the niche ones like spy tree never get taken

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

1 hab per system (maybe only for non-Void Dweller?) would indeed be excellent.
my hot take is that habs should be be limited far more than even that. even on a medium galaxy you'll quickly have 20+ systems and if you go into habs that's 20 extra colonies
meanwhile the game is built around there being like 1 habitable planet per 5-10 systems

let void dweller empires be limited to 1 per system, but prevent them from landing on planets at all to balance it out i guess? idk how you'd even do that but as a hab/void dweller enjoyer, habs are a goddamn scourge

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
habitats are insanely expensive in the early game to the point that i'll only ever build them if i'm doing a habitat only void dweller game

habitats are pocket change in the late game because you don't need influence once you have one of the total war goals, and 5000 alloys is less than 2 battleships

and there lies the problem

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tolth posted:

So the difficulty scaling on this game is totally busted with regards to the DLC, huh? I enjoy it a lot, but having put a few hundred hours in it feels like I'm having to hugely scale up the difficulty settings to get any challenge out. Yes, I know I can set all the difficulty and crisis sliders to max, no I am not going to play the game in that manner. Does anyone have any mod suggestions for adding some challenge?

there used to be ai mods that made it much better but idk if they still exist

besides, the biggest difficulty this game has is how long you can handle building up your empire before all the clicking becomes too much and you just set all planets to autobuild and then your economy blows up 20 years later :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
tbf, the auto-builder is actually alright now and won't explode your empire anymore like it used to, so once you're past like 10 planets you can set auto-build and then focus on taking over the galaxy or whatever, because an over-the-top micro'd 10 planet empire is already enough to give you a head-start vs the AI

pvp multiplayer is different since insane people *will* micro 30 planets just so they can crush you, but that's why i don't play pvp in this game :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there used to be a simple, dialog window driven mod, back when planets still had tiles, that let you set up a few build orders, and then your planet would automatically build the buildings on the chosen blueprint when new pops popped up

such a functionality would be far outside a simple mod capability in the "new" planet/pop economy so it should really be core functionality considering how the game works

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO, the game does a relatively ok job of being a basic management game or something with a half dozen or so planets in the early game and some space to explore, to being a map painter later game when you can start to easily drive over your opponents

but the fact that AI economy (and by extension auto-build) are quite lacking really puts a damper on explosive growth you'd normally get in post earlygame 4xes

staying in vaguely the same genre, endless space sadly doesn't have as much replayability as stellaris for me. but when i do feel like playing it, it feels so much better to play because once you get some snowballs rolling, it doesn't feel like micromanagement hell to keep them rolling

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i really like the planet management, it's simple enough that you can easily juggle 5 while not detracting from other things happening in the early game like all the exploration events or a possible early war

but it's really not meant to scale past a few of planets and unless you're doing a gimmick "tall" build you're going to shoot way past the limit in midgame and then it's just overwhelming instead of fun, imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo yeah i haven't played since they added co-op really looking forward to that when we get to play again

i'm just gonna manage 50 planets while my friends blow everything up it's gonna be great

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Phosphine posted:

Just like the age old civilization wisdom: the best early game wonder is 10 warriors. Or 20, or 30, or however many you can poop out in the time it would take to build a wonder.

this is only true if playing on really slow game speed or real tiny maps, because civilization has real loving quick tech rate if you know even remotely what you're doing, and in the few turns it takes your warriors to reach a city, the other guy is sporting a phalanx that will destroy all of your warriors single handedly :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

While technically true you're forgetting that it wasn't worthwhile before that either, unless you really liked microing unit placement on dozens of planets.

you just built your drill robots on minerals, your power robots on energy, research robots on science, etc. it was a one time and done thing for every planet

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
can't migrate if there's no free tiles

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's one of the minor but more annoying oversights imo,

there's a tech that gives +1, there's the tech for better town halls that also give +1 per tier, and then there's a tradition that gives +1 that's one of the good ones that everyone takes regardless anyway IIRC

which is annoying because you might build a bunch of city districts early in the game and then have no loving idea how many you can demolish at a glance because there's no mouseover for building slots like there are for everything else in this game

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ShadowHawk posted:

Can I be paperclip maximizer rogue servitors?

that's called icecream maximizer

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

two fish posted:

What is the point of Harm Relations, and how would that even look in real life?

insulting/bullying someone until they hit back, then claim you're the victim in space UN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

Basically, "Harm Relations" is what Russia is doing

lmfao