Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
So as someone who has owned this for a while and picked up the new expansions, but hasn't actually figured out how to be Good at it, are there any good getting started tips or advice you all have? I messed around a bit with a couple games but still struggle a bit when it comes to balancing my expansion and tech, etc. Any tips on a civ setup for learning the ropes? Key things to know in the current 2.0 build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

I know ship design is a whole can of worms to open up, but in general do you want multiple versions of each class to fill different roles now or are there more or less 'optimal' setups for each ship class you want to stack?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Dongattack posted:

Hm, with the new ascension perk in the beta that gives 2 levels to leaders my machine leaders can reach level 10 with a government reform and some machine template fuckery. That's 10% more research, 15% more firerate and 10% more resource production across the board. I'm gonna try that, it sounds pretty powerful.

Are machine leaders immortal? That seems hella good.

EDIT:
Downgrading wont reduce the energy upkeep though. The basic outpost will still cost 1 energy.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Would it be too breaking to say, prevent pirate spawns in systems which you have sensor coverage on? Or would that too quickly eliminate their presence?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Ok, current game I am playing I am trying to see all the mega-structures, colossus, and such. Trying to plan out my Perk choices and can't really decide what might be best.

So far I've unlocked 2 and picked up Technological Ascendancy. I am thinking in the end I'll have:

1. Tech. Ascendancy
2. Executive Vigor OR Mastery of Nature
3. Voidborne
4. Master Builders
5. Galactic Wonders.
6. Colossus Project
7. Circle of Life

Not sure between EV or MoN and if that would be a good order of progression for things. Some input would be appreciated. Militarist/Fanatical Materialist if you're wondering.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Well poo poo then, maybe I should have gotten executive Vigor first instead of Tech Ascendancy... eh. Too late now.

So since holding my second perk for Voidborne doesn't sound like a great idea at 2250, should I pick up Executive Vigor or Mastery of Nature? I'm thinking the former, though the latter is tempting since I am sorta stuck with the 4 planets I have for the time being. Would otherwise need some hefty Terraforming investment or a significant expansion out to the next planets. Or a war. Could war over some planets.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Is there any reason I should be skeptical of a size 24 tomb world named "Abundance" set in a dead end system on the edge of the galaxy?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Mechanical Ape posted:

Regular pacifists, I think.

So far I've welcomed two waves of refugee species branded undesirable by the very empire that uplifted them. And who, presumably, have an "Uplifted" +happiness toward the very species that calls them undesirable.

These guys are unleashing billions of poor sapients with abandonment issues upon the galaxy. It's diabolical.

They are playing the long game. All of those 'undesirables' are just sleeper agents, looking to fill your pop slots prior to their invasion.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Okay, which is a higher priority to get up and running first if you had to pick between them: Ringworlds or Galactic Wonders?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

My understanding is that it's a bonus to energy and will nullify anything else.

This is correct. "Settling" an energy tile with food/mineral/energy tiles bordering it is the sweet spot.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Can't decide what to take for my last 2 ascension perks. I've already got Tech Ascendency, Executive Vigor, Voidborn, Master Builders, Galactic Wonders, and Circle of Life. Also, what are these Unity edicts I have now? Do their costs scale each time? What's some good bang for my buck on those?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Anticheese posted:

They cost as much as it costs to unlock a tradition, so their price goes up as you unlock new tradition groups or colonise planets. If you're capped out and have no more traditions to get, go nuts!

Nice, so upping Unity from here on out will just let me use them more frequently/more of them? That's pretty cool.

Jazerus posted:

go for biological or psychic ascension

I think I'd lean toward Psychic, for those sweet jump drives, but as a Fanatic Materialist.... that's gonna be a pain. I assume all I can do is keep fishing the leader board to try and get a scientist, right? The ascension paths are going to just be straight up stronger than any bonuses I could get from say, Defender of The Galaxy, right?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

How many species are a major part of your empire?

I've kept my bloodlines pure with just my main species and their AI pals. I do have a collection of protectorates and vassals though. Related to that, when is a good time to/should I even try integrating my satellite states?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Not being able to rival pathetic people is seriously ruining my groove. No way to humiliate them to clear their claims to make them more open to becoming a vassal, or at least a loyal vassal in the next war to subjugate them.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Wassbix posted:

This fleet is under the control of the president (always you long as they stay below 10% of total planets in federation) and the biggest thing is that it has zero upkeep.

Wait, you can maintain federation presidency so long as you have a certain majority of planets????

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Wassbix posted:

It only rotates if there is another member who controls 10% of total planets in the federation (includes habitat). So your nerd former vassal with 1 planet will never be the president (you can reject anyone else who tries to join)

Well now, that changes some things....

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish if you had 4 shipyards free it would use them all to update 4x as fast. I think splitting the fleet up and refitting that way is quicker but so many unneeded clicks.

It already does work this way in my experience. I had 2 identical fleets stationed above two starbases with 2 vs 6 shipyards set to upgrade to the newest designs. The 6 slip yard over my capital finished noticeably sooner.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Oh that's good to know! But man does a late-game fleet take a long time to upgrade, even something simple like new sensors.

I don't have any scientific proof, but it should be a simple thing to test. Next time I get a chance to play I will do so.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Some of the issue with ship upgrading vs building is that building with the fleet manager uses every spaceport you have compared to upgrading using one single starbase worth.

This is true, it will issue build orders to even the fringe bases you might have on the front lines for mid war reinforcements, not just your 6 yard+fleet academy stacked main base. Not sure if it works in travel time though to get everyone grouped up though, even if build time might be minimized.

After getting gate tech first thing I did was set up a network connected to my 2 big shipyards, but then fleets kept jumping away from their main station to refit/repair at the outskirts... so I ended up replacing all the single yards on the fronts with other stuff. With the gates it's only streamlined my starbase specializations.

I do have a question though, say you have 2 claims on an enemy, both are colonized systems and they are the ONLY colonized systems they have. If you fight a war of conquest and win, will you get all their owned but uncolonized systems as well? Or will they revert to unclaimed?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

unicr0n posted:

Any advice for dealing with the Contingency? They've just turned up in my game and currently have around 10 x 106k fleets with a few 200k fleets. My fleet capacity of 150 and total navy of 600 capacity means I'm only able to rock 3 fleets with about 25k damage each..

This steam guide has some good tips for fighting the contingency.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911980839

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

unicr0n posted:

So I tried the corvette method mentioned in that guide and had limited success. My fleet of 150 corvettes took two attempts (attack / die / rebuilt to max / attack) to take out one single Contingency fleet.

I happened to take the Defender of the Galaxy perk right as the event triggered so my trust with neighbours is through the roof. A federation builder started a federation and once I joined most of the galaxy is now in. We'll just see how it plays out.

Just make sure you also follow the recommended power ratings. Its like one of the suggested fleets per 100k fleet power of one of the contingencies.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

ChickenWing posted:

I got uplifted cockroaches as refugees :3:

e: speaking of uplifting, I colonized a planet in the same system as space-age primitives. What happens when (if) they get to space? Assuming I don't care to purge them, will I lose that colony?

I know that if you are the one uplifting them from your observation post, you will give them the whole system. Annexing them brings them into your empire. Letting nature run it's course I imagine would do the same as if you uplifted them.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Jazerus posted:

they'll take that colony, yeah

i found this out when i enlightened a bunch of cockroaches and they turned around and enslaved my colonists. those guys got integrated in a hurry

You gotta indoctrinate first maaaaaaan

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Bedshaped posted:

Yeah I just use auto-design like 90% of the time.

Auto-complete design is fine, but the auto-generate will definitely cause fleet issues as it currently is.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

ZypherIM posted:

That is pretty edge case to spend a bunch of dev time on. If you want to massage it a bit, you can go into your fleet manager, drop the ship counts on your corvettes to your existing level and then hit reinforce.

It's also worth noting that if you have a fleet stationed above a shipyard (that is it's homebase) and order the yard to build a new ship, the new ship automatically goes into the fleet and the manager ups that ship # to include it. So if the fleet had 8/10 of a destroyer class, you build one at the yard manually then the count goes to 9/11. Similarly, if you are at 9/9 and build one it goes to 10/10.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

For those still confused on the fleet manager, this video does a pretty good job of explaining it verbally and visually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu2BpSM2wAU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

So I am sitting at 2373 and can research Synthetics. I have 3 planets of about size 20ish fully loaded with Droids for mining, and a combined fleet power of about 22k, which is only half of my capacity. Is it worth going for Synthetics, or will I almost certainly regret it?

Edit: I am a fanatic materialist / egalitarian

Do it.

Nothing bad can happen, they are your trustworthy machines that have served you for centuries.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Is there a mod out there that lets you sabotage a habitat to drop it on the world it's orbiting? Say to quell unrest or perhaps as a faster alternative to orbital bombardment? Asking for a friend. Disregard the avatar.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Nice.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Master Builders adding 3 tiles to Habitats? Oh hell yeah! Toss that into the beta update please.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

TorakFade posted:

How do I use the fleet manager? I tried but I just make a huge mess, help :ohdear:

Only use the manager to build and set numbers. Building directly from a starbase will throw a wrench into things.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

binge crotching posted:

First and foremost, turn off auto-upgrades in the ship designer. It breaks the fleet manager.

Yeah, you don't want it to Auto-Generate or auto-upgrade designs. Auto-fill or auto-complete a design you make can fill in the slots if you are in a hurry (say just to upgrade to the new power, engine, and sensor techs quickly). Just don't let it automatically do that.

Other tip: Make sure you hit the upgrade button and let the fleet upgrade completely before reinforcing it. Otherwise you might build a bunch of current tech ships to replace the existing old tech ones in the fleet instead of upgrading them.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Splicer posted:

1.0 spirals 4 lyfe*

*or until next update

But the real question is: 2 arm or 4 arm?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

ZypherIM posted:

1.0 spirals has a pretty nice balance of chokes and open fronts. Usually you can secure a couple sides with 1 system cokes, and have 1 broad front.

Yeah, my last game had an interesting development where I held a 2-3 system choke against 2 other shithead neighbors, but ended up expanding out through my 1 system choke on the other end pretty much straight rimward. I ended up with access to 3 arms in one ugly front alongside the only neighbor I got buddy buddy with. Ended up rolling into the baddies' territory from their own back door and eventually pushed them to the outer rim. It was a logistical nightmare until I had gates to more easily jump to the 2nd and 3rd arms. It was one of the few games where my various sectors actually felt like individual parts of space with their own central hubs, shipyards, fleets, etc.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Omnicarus posted:

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but I'd love to see an anomaly on a galactic scale that wasn't really a fallen empire, but instead a Mines of Moria type cluster. Big, well fortified choke points that take a lot to get through, but are rumored to contain endless wealth and a paradise beyond spread across a series of 4-5 systems. You finally get through them and it isn't, instead it's a civilization that went too far and destroyed themselves or was destroyed behind their nigh invincible walls. Ruined mega structures, shattered planets, crazed remnant cults like the Gardeners of Kadesh, and plenty of anomalies that tell their story and give decent rewards to boot.

:five:

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

So if machines get machine worlds, and organics now get ecumenopolii, are hive minds going to get access to some kind of hive world equivalent if they cover an entire planet in Creep?

Buildable overmind-worlds when?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Question:

A buddy of mine is looking to get into the game, but now with how many expansions are out the price is making him a bit wary. Are there any plans to do like a bundle or something with all the DLC or at least the older ones?

Or should I just tell him to wait for a Black Friday/Christmas Steam sale?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Just tried picking Megacrop up from Fanatical and between putting it in my cart and then verifying my account email it has since been removed from their store for preorder? I can only put it on a wishlist now...

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Stellaris 2.2: "My Tiles for a Horse's Consent!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Ms Adequate posted:

Few things are as great as scrolling through SA and seeing some completely esoteric, bizarre thread titles stemming from this!

I actively ignore game threads with bland titles.