Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

NatasDog posted:

I get all that, but it's not exactly the worst option to go after him. On harder difficulties it most definitely makes sense to just peace out with him if he spawns early and/or you're right next door to him with no one to back you up, but I've yet to have to do that. Granted, I play with a few friends and that's usually our cue to band our fleets together and smash into the Khan until he's dead, retreating and regrouping as we go. I don't usually mess around with the extra event fleets since taking the Khan himself down is what ends the event.

Like I said, play the game however you want, but I don't really mind the Khan as is. Calling fighting back against a midgame crisis in a game about galactic conquest the 'worst thing you can do' is what I took exception with. To me it's the most fun thing to do. It's pretty satisfying when you finally grind him down to the point that he's weak enough to kill.

I guess it was worded pretty awkwardly.

My point was that militarily, the Khan is either going to overwhelm you with sheer numbers (continuingly throwing 16k+ freespawn fleets your way like, one at a time over and over can be hard to deal with if you're not prepared for it) or he's going to be laughable as he suicides into your death fleet of 60k+ fleet plus 31k citadel because they does not take any sort of danger into account whatsoever.

Despite the game claiming the Khan is a military genius, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

I've had plenty of games that weren't at either of those extremes. They tend to expand in all directions, so their Doom fleets are less of an issue unless you're literally the only target. Those fleets also don't spawn very frequently, it's about as long as it would take a normal empire to build those ships they just don't have to spend resources (e.g. It's basically the marauder raiding mechanism, the fleet just goes directly to the Khan instead of becoming bribable)

And the thing about the Khan is that he's Khan because he's a tactical genius, representing as a rank 10 admiral that also boosts basically every fleet stat. But he's also leading a warrior race, so he's still going to lead his people into glorious battle even if the odds of victory seem insurmountable. This is a classic scifi trope

I guess. The game has a tendency to somehow always end up with at least one marauder empire close to my borders, and somehow it's almost always the closest marauder that goes Khan on me.

Also suiciding into a fortress doesn't seem all that glorious to me but what do I know. :shrug:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

This has been my experience as well. I think I've played like 3 campaigns since the great khan content was added and in every case there was a marauder empire pretty much right next to me and my AI neighbors spend the game commissioning them to bring me treats.

The khan iteself always seems to go goofy for me though, I think one campaign they died mysteriously out of nowhere, one campaign they declared their candidacy, asked me if I wanted to pay tribute, then they promptly got wrecked by whoever they attacked and one campaign it never seemed to fire.

I've only had it not fire only once. I thought it was a thing that just always happens, like the crisis.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

In multiplayer games Marauders seem to threaten a nearby player at random (but who knows, maybe there's some other check), and then if that player pays the bribe they make the same threat to the next person and so on. So I suspect that the AI receives Marauder threats too but always just pays them off

I don't think there's a per-Empire cooldown for raids, but the time between raids depends on how much damage is dealt to their fleet + how far away their target is. Marauders will build up a raiding fleet, and once at max strength they have a ticking % chance to start threatening other empires. If someone hires them to go raiding, or if someone fails to pay the no-raiding fee once the threat check triggers, then the fleet departs on the raid and they won't threaten anyone and can't be hired again until their raiding fleet returns and builds up to full strength.

So you can avoid having to pay tribute altogether by just preemptively paying them to go raid your enemies.

I've seen AI get raided quite often. I don't know if they just lacked resources or whatever, tho.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Will you make the level mechanic more immersive?"
"no"
"Will you do something with the now obsolete civic feudal society?"
"no"
"Will you allow people to share some things that make sense (like amobae pacificaiton)?"
"no"
"Will you be able to affect your federation member's politics in this here politics update?"
".. no"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

If you think about it, the diplomacy update barely changes anything about diplomacy. :psyduck:

You get modifiers, the diplomatic stances, the envoys, but...

Federations remain as static as ever and that's the real issue, which is just entirely being ignored.

Meanwhile Origins are like 40% retooled civics, 40% "Start as (x) planettype)", 10% mods turned into vanilla features, 10% new stuff.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yes, you'll be able to butter up somebody with envoys. It doesnt matter how much an empire likes you though , if they're in a federation they will never ever leave without being liberated or otherwise punched out of.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Gort posted:

Yeah, I'd say people wouldn't bitch so hard about the flaws in this game if they didn't like the game as a whole. If it was just poo poo all the way down the thread would've died years ago.

It's pretty much this. It could be so much more if it wasn't for...

Paradox dlc policy, really. It's poison is really showing, imo.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Burginator posted:

I played this a shitload on PS4 but the massive tile update on PC had me caught for a long time before I really understood how to do all the changes -- But now I'm getting into the midgame and wondering if somebody could help me out with sector management? I conquered 2 of my neighbors and now I have a billion planets and it's just way too much work, but it seems like sectors are just relying on lovely rear end AI -- How do I make sectors worth using?

You don't, really. Last time I tried them, they just immediately ruined my economy when I let them touch ANYTHING. I thought the issue was that I didn't let it control enough of my empire so I gave my entire empire over to the management AI.

It immediately made me run a -500 energy deficit, a -300 mineral deficit (how???) and started building a ton of food.

I was playing lithoids.

So uhm, yeah.

The management AI's are still terribad.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Burginator posted:

I am fairly certain that I'm going to win this game entirely because I have literally 1 tile that any enemy can attack me through (My other side is a federation bro), and that tile is the greatest murder tile that has ever existed. Pretty sure I can just go AI for the rest of the game and probably win, I'm excited

Building death bastions of doom and then forgetting the rest of the galaxy while you become science itself is the real pro strat to win stellaris.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Burginator posted:

It's my current gameplan -- My last game LOOKED great, I had an enormous empire, everything was coming up Burg but then.... Two Fallen Empires went to war, which entangled the other half of the galaxy, and I was fighting 5 wars at once and it ended my best game yet :(

I'm hoping that this game I can just become a tiny lil' turtle but become VERY mighty before I make my move. I still haven't actually finished a game of Stellaris, I tend to give up when I feel like I'm at an insurmountable lead, but my last game actually hit end game crises and I realized how wrong I was about how strong I felt... I want to actually WIN a game now! The endgame poo poo is way stronger than I expected it to be

I usually try to grab as much territory as I can while having a good amount of chokepoints (up to 3).

Going too small will hamper your science as much as too wide will.

Also note that machine empires are still stupid and are much, much better at tech rushing than even technocracy materialists are, simply because they don't need the space to build consumer industries or dedicate planets to food.

No, instead they need minerals... which they also get a lot more of, because machine worlds.

:psyduck:

I've managed to rush tech so hard in one game where everything just clicked (cybrex precursors, great start, etc) that I finished repairing a ring world in 2270. By the time endgame hit my bastions were strong enough to kill awakened empire fleets on their own, same with the endgame crisis due to having an unholy number of repeatables.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Burginator posted:

Yeah -- My current game, I've got a nice slice section of the galaxy, and I have a singular choke point that connects me to my enemies. I've only got about 30 systems, but I think that if I just focus up I can just take an enormous tech lead and suddenly obliterate my neighbors later on

This is pretty much my experience early on. I huddle behind bastions and optimize my economy and whoops suddenly everyone else is Pathetic to me

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 8, 2020

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Libluini posted:

I hope the poor bastards can use them, because I had some late-game bugs happen where my fleets suddenly couldn't find paths to nearby (and connected, obviously) systems and I had to use their jump drives constantly, just to move them around.

I have this odd suspicion that building too many gates and having too many wormhole-connections may gently caress with the game in a bad way. My furthest game on the current patch is in the middle of the 4th century (around the mid-25-hundreds) and the last war I had was made quite interesting since I never knew when one of my 10 fleets would suddenly stop finding a path way and just stop moving, surrounded by friendly systems with gates in them.

On the other hand, enemy fleets seemed unaffected, as they moved around perfectly fine. :shrug:

The game breaks in fascinating ways the longer you play.

Even in the standard game length, it will start showing you wrong symbols for your planets (such as "free building slot" when you don't have housing)

How does that even work?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

A lot of them are things that are previously civics or "you start on a (x)", though.

I do like the nonstandard ones like ringworld and habitats.

Scion start sounds really interesting (if easy mode)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Deuce posted:

Are the pre-placed abandoned gateways an avenue for invasion into my territory? Do I need to bunker them up?

Destroyed and deactivated gateways are perfectly safe to keep around (they can only be used while people aren't at war with the owner, so your enemies need to conquer the systen to use it)

L-Gates on the other hand are free for all and can be used by everyone at any time once reactivated.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ShadowHawk posted:

Your enemies can't use activated gateways either unless they control the system during a war.

Basically, no, they are not a back door unless they're L Gates

This is pretty much what i meant to say. Sorry for the awkward wording

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

And Tyler Too! posted:

Paradox made a new launcher that nobody asked for and it broke a lot of mods.

A significantly worse launcher as far as modding is concerned even for the working mods, mind you.

Who the gently caress thought manual load order is a good idea?

Especially if you have double digit mods.

AND CAN'T BLOODY SCROLL!

:psyduck:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

And Tyler Too! posted:

So I made a new Empire focusing on Robotics because I have never tried the synthetic ascension path. I find myself wedged between 2 neighbors, one habitable planet, and only 1 remaining avenue of stellar exploration.

However.....

I haven't even reached midgame and this run is already about to be on autopilot, because my neighbors are so going to get conquered.

Let me give you a quick warning.

If there is a spiritualist Fallen Empire, you're a fanatic materialist and you don't have xenophile or other opinion modifiers, the fallen empire will have -100 opinion of you once you ascend to robots ( i believe).

Which will lead to that fallen empire declaring war on you, on cooldown, because good game design.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Cynic Jester posted:

That their brag video about their sick performance improvements has a 6-7 second long stutter is hilarious. Honest, but hilarious.

To be fair, that game is running at 20k+ pops.

That is a lot more than most games will ever get to, even huge ones.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Splicer posted:

The new resources are a horribly wasted opportunity that just end up busywork. The new planet management is ruined by the pop based building caps. Diplomacy is unchanged, but the new patch is changing it a bit.

Not only are they busywork, not using them makes you more powerful.

See also: Machine empires.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Serephina posted:

So I've carved a bloody path through a small galaxy by 2280, and trying to figure out the victory conditions. I do really need to wait until 2500 to see the game over screen? If I like, push over the fallen empire and I'm the only one standing with no crisis in effect, will it end? Does taking more land do anything? Or am I really just sitting here for literally 2/3rds the game?

It's 2500 or kill all other empires, iirc.

Honestly you have won WAY before the game announces it as such probably a good 100-200 years before, anyway.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Alloy factories and consumer goods are HUGE building space sinks if you don't have an ecumenopolis. Food also takes up a decent chunk of your district space.

While organic empires have ecumenopolis, they take forever to create and even then you need to retrofit your planets to produce your alloys there, get the rare resources, etc.

Machine empires need neither food nor consumer goods. You can focus on the two most basic resources, energy and minerals immediately. On top of being able to colonize EVERYTHING.

Additionally, early game most organic empires will spend their time simply stabilizing their resource incomes so you actually have alloys to produce ships with while also having good research.

Machine Empires and to a lesser extend hiveminds can just dump minerals into Research.

This is secretly actually really powerful.

You have a LOT more building space available for research and alloy factories since you aren't using consumer goods at all, much early. You can acquire tech to snowball with so much faster.

Not to mention those two also have machine and hive worlds, which give you unlimited mining districts so you can dump yet more stuff into your war and science machine!

Splicer posted:

Oh, I meant the rare resources. I'm 100% behind consumer goods and alloys. It's the motes/crystals/gasses that are utterly pointless.

The fact that even the most basic building upgrades require strategic resources still boggles my mind. They're supposed to be rare, and powerful!

They're neither.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 21, 2020

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Kaal posted:

I did some math, and while upgraded buildings can be slightly more efficient than the non-upgraded buildings, they require massive investment and economies of scale to do so. At the first tier of upgrades, it can take 45 pops and more than a dozen districts to support two advanced resource buildings. You basically need one refinery building for each alloy/consumer goods/research building, and huge amounts of energy and minerals and housing to support all of it. Much like the megaprojects, building upgrades don't really make fiscal sense until you're already swimming in resources. If you can afford to refit half your planets into refinery worlds, then you can also afford to just build a massive fleet.

The less insane way of doing it is ecumenopolis, which i feel like are both too good and also too annoying to actually make.

Having to fill it up with city districts takes SO much time, SO many minerals, gives you a ton of a sprawl AND upkeep, and you'll never be using all the jobs created even before the ACTUAL conversion process (which you specifically need to build resource silos of some kind for as well) and...

:negative:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

I literally identify which worlds are going to make good Ecumenopoleis (you want a large planet that's easy to defend and preferably with few raw resource districts) and start prepping them while they're idle. The alternative is converting the nearly guaranteed Relic World from the Rubricator, but I'd rather just use that for research.

The minerals I find to actually not be that big a deal (you're spreading it over a looooong time), the time is far more irritating.

I do that too, but it's still a massive pain in the rear end. Especially since you can't queue up district conversion for more than one type (so if you have 4 mining and 3 generator districts on a planet, you need to queue up 4 mining -> 4 city conversions before it lets you swap the generators at all).

I'm talking about the 20k mineral cost, you start with only 15k storage capacity.

Also, I did the math and I'm fairly sure there's literally no reason not to turn the relic world into an ecu.

It's supposed to be a trade-off but the fact that you get the "Former Relic World" bonus means you have the same research bonus on the new ecumenopolis... on top of having the base 20% to EVERYTHING, AND the 50% pop growth bonus, AND the much better districts. You lose out on the rare resources but I feel like those are a trap on that world anyway?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Serephina posted:

Someone explain the Ecu to me, as I'm just on Vanilla?

You just get a planet and have all its districts be city ones, then press a button and boom you get what? A planet with 1k max pop?

I think it's part of one of the DLCs. It's pretty much the best planet type, but it's also very specialized.

Essentially, you encase an entire planet with steel, making it one giant city. The planet replaces all of the districts with advanced arcology districts: City, Foundries, Industry, and Entertainment.

All of those give 10 housing and 10 jobs (city gives 20 housing with 5 jobs, I believe?) of foundry workers, consumer good artisans, and a mixture of culture workers and entertainers. However, each districts costs strategic resources in upkeep. The planet type itself gives 100% hab to everything, 50% pop growth bonus, +20% resources and (I'm not so sure about the last one) also a happiness bonus?

It's really powerful but you will lose out on your base resources from whatever planet you encase. Usually, you won't have more than 2-3.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

Well the Former Relic World only gives you +15% Research instead of the +30% that a Relic World gives (it's split between two modifiers that I assume stack but I have not checked). The strategic resources are fine, but you can just build refineries on your Ecu too, not a big difference.

But honestly now that I'm thinking about it, there's no way +15% research is ever, ever better than +50% pop growth. So yeah, I'm converting from here on out.

Yes.

But the planet type ecumenopolis gives you 20% bonus resources to EVERYTHING.

That includes research.

So you get +15% research and +20% research from ecumenopolis.

instead of 30% research.

it's not even a trade off despite what the game makes it try and sound like, lol.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

Wait what?? How have I never noticed that before? Mind you I only noticed you get +10% from Gaia worlds a few days ago.

Now that's classic Paradox.

It took me forever to realize, too.

It's not exactly well explained, honestly? The basic planet types don't tell you squat on that particular hover-over, so you don't bother to check the advanced types, I guess?

I think I only noticed it when I started making Machine Worlds everywhere (Always make Machine Worlds everywhere)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Serephina posted:

Ahhh, the 10/10 on districts explains much. Seems fun... in a strictly roleplaying sort of way.

And I agree with what was mentioned above, the default economy is *very* rough to get ahead on. Its all pipes feeding into other pipes feeding back into the first because of upkeeps, with each step subject to taxation. All you need is a tiny dip in habitability, happiness, or stability (or gently caress, *anything*) and suddenly a planet is literally unable to turn a profit on anything. Stupid pop traits carry too much heft, conquering is ultra-perrilous as unhappy new conquests will sink your entire empire since you can't do per-planet decisions, etc. Cutting all that poo poo away and just going Minerals -> Ships like back in 1.0 sounds like heaven in comparison!

Ecumenopolis are ridiculously strong. They're not just for roleplay. (Well, other than the entertainment district...)

Consumer Good Factories and Alloy Foundries are gigantic building slot sinks because the optimal number of them is all of them. Ecumenpolis' Foundry and Consumer Good districts are FAR more cost-effective on rare resources.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I like the job system because you can cram so many pops into any one planet, honestly. However! Whoever designed the stratum system should probably just be fired out of a cannon, into the nearest sun. If I never see a recently migrated-in specialist complaining because he doesn't want to work a clerk job, it'll be too soon.

Rare resources are incredibly poorly implemented and I wish they'd just disappear entirely. The way it is the only thing I ever upgrade is research labs, alloy foundries and civilian labs, why ever bother with anything else?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Arcturas posted:

My problem with consumer goods is it feels like if I expand, all I want to do is fill the planet with consumer goods factories because I'm constantly short on consumer goods. But if I expand and add consumer goods to get back to zero, I gained nothing on the expansion! I didn't get additional research production. I didn't get additional alloy production. I maybe got some additional energy production from the vast pile of serfs needed to support a single consumer goods factory, but that's probably a wash with upkeep. And in reality it feels like I lost research and alloys and energy because of sprawl. So what's the point to expansion?

I've experienced this too, especially while playing spiritualist.

I've legitimately been using the consumer benefits trade policy almost exclusively these days, simply because consumer goods that don't use up valuable minerals are actually really good. You even get a bit of energy to go along with it!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ShadowHawk posted:

One of the relic world features gives you a flat +8 research jobs. So you do miss out on a free upgraded lab.

But, as noted, there's probably no way that's worth 50% pop growth - this is just under 2 organic pops every 11 years.

Oh i forgot about that one.

I guess that's technically a drawback, maybe. On the other hand i have had size 12 relic worlds which just get 6 districts TOTAL which can barely fit all the resource buildings, much less labs, so i guess it kind of evens out?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Jabarto posted:

Shared Burdens, you bourgeois swine. :colbert:

In all seriousness, the whole demotion thing is kind of neat for about two seconds and then you realize it adds almost nothing to the game and is just a trifling nuisance most of the time.

Oh yes that civic is unironically the best civic in the game. I love it.

Unfortunately it's the best because it all but removes an idiotic game mechanic.

I shouldnt need to rely on removing game mechanics or even mods like the automatic pop migration (that mod is so good the game is basically unplayable without it for me now) tl fix broken game design.

In related news i hope the galactic community auto resettling works, but just like auto explore i feel like it should be a base feature instead of something you need to unlock?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Deuce posted:

Machine empires are so overpowered that even the AI can be competitive late-game. (on a high difficulty)

This jackass is fending off the contingency, an AI uprising, and me!

The real proof of it being OP, the AI doesn't just keep over and die with them :V

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I don't even mind consumer goods but they're just not balanced against the alternatives at all.

I honestly think standard empires (and megacorps) will fare a lot better with the new Trade League policy. Might even be close to equal to machine empires.

Hell, megacorps might even be actually viable with the admin cap buildings and that policy. And since they also get access to ecumenopolis...

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Staltran posted:

Amenities aren't exactly hard to come by for anyone else, either. Frankly I'd say regular empires are much better off amenities-wise, as entertainers are far superior to maintenance drones, even with the cg cost. And there's a reason everyone complains about machine intelligences in particular, hives aren't nearly as powerful. The lack of cgs isn't the problem, it's 100% habitability everywhere and high base pop growth. Higher throughput alloy jobs are nice too.

I've found the lack of upgrades to Sentinel Posts and Maintenance buildings rather annoying compared to the standard versions. On planets truly crammed full of stuff, you do notice the difference.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I do have to wonder if they're going to change habitats with the new patch.

I'm not convinced they're good enough in their current state to support basing an empire solely on them, especially with the rare resource economy.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Gilg posted:

I'm just starting out in Stellaris and I'm trying to figure out planet specialization, but I feel like I'm just not getting it. How much should I be looking at the planet's features, e.g. how many mining districts it can support, versus other criteria? All I've come up with is: New colony -> Colony, Lots of mineral districts -> Mining World, Lots of generator districts -> Generator World, Lots of Agriculture Districts -> Agri-World, anything else -> I have no idea.

My go to is to look for the basic districts, then put tech labs on planets with a modifier that gives research bonus which have a lot district count, and then alloy factories at all the other ones. Small planets can be used for this - you can get a lot done with City/Nexus Districts and basic factories. Big planets with lots of one district work well for refineries, I found.

One trick I like using is to build habitats over mineral deposits in space, you will get a LOT of extra minerals to fuel your economy out of those.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Deuce posted:

Auto-generated design for ion cannon platforms... doesn't have an ion cannon.

Neither do titans have their T slot.

Auto design is just so bad in so many ways.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Finally a release date:

March 17th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Splicer posted:

If you build them over a mineral or rare resource deposit they get mineral districts (and a rare resource building slot in the latter). Ebergy and science do energy and science.

In nearly every scenario it's actually optimal to build a habitat over the deposit if you can afford it. For the base resources you can get hundreds (i believe i managed to get like 400) out of a single habitat over a 3 mineral or energy deposit. Rare resources you get 1-3 of so it's still better to do in most cases.

Only the most rare strategic resources like living metal dont give you extra, iirc.