Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Splicer posted:

Buy it for/recruit your friends. God it's like you've never been in an MLM or cult before.

I have... one friend that plays/is interested in Stellaris and they already own all DLC too.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Serephina posted:

Autoupgrade seems to work fine though.

Unless you forget to update your Reactors.

When it runs into energy problems it'll stop automatically updating stuff, sometimes even when you do research a higher level reactor.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Serephina posted:

Ah, I rush reactor upgrades on principle so I've not seen that issue in a while, good point.

I do too, but sometimes the game decides you should have level 4 shields before lvl 2 reactors.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Aethernet posted:

Not an emptyquote.

Hey, I buy caravancoinz!

... because I still don't have the galatron achievements.

:negative:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Vizuyos posted:

Internal trade feels like a vestigal feature that's only there so they could say they had a trade system, and so people would have a reason to build starbases anywhere besides chokepoint systems near their borders.

Not entirely true - Anchorages exist. And are far better at that job really.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Splicer posted:

There's anchorages, bastions, and shipyards. If you added a module or building that increased mining station production in that system, or even some form of... panel? that absorbs solar energy? and added a bunch more planet boosting starbase buildings, now there's a real choice between economy vs military when it comes to placement.

It still boggles my mind that Solar Panels are restricted to Gestalts. Trade Hubs are no replacement whatsoever, especially after the Solar Panel buff.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I didn't know that one either - I was aware that if you hover over a province you can see ALL empires that have a claim on it, but that'd require you to check each province individually.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Libluini posted:

Well yeah, a well-placed trade station can easily generate 100+ energy from trade, while a station fully dedicated to solar panels is like, 18-36 energy, depending on bonuses?

"Replacement" is such a weak word for something so much better.

Except most of that comes from the planets, not the trade modules themselves. And requires Pops to be working on trade not more valuable things past the... what, 12 trade the Offworld Company provides? And, as said, spawn pirates.

You need exactly as many trade hub modules as you need to collect the planetary trade and any further are pretty much a waste. Something solar panels aren't restricted by. The fact that the energy is entirely pop-independent is actually a pretty big bonus imo, especially from 3.0 onward since you just have less pops to put into trade and such.

Not to mention it's (at least for me) also a suspension of disbelief thing. Why in gods name would standard organic empires not think of putting of solar panels on a starbase?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 14, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

We came a long way from "the front corvette eats the alpha strike from hell", huh.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ShadowHawk posted:

If you use the ideology war goal, the AI will immediately adopt their old ideology as soon as the war is over.

Are you sure? I've never seen this happen. Not to mention that swapping ethics costs a lotta time and influence.

Anyway i once again need go express my love for the custodian crew. I love the stuff in the new dev diary.

Am i the only one thinking that necrophage hiveminds are gonna be stupidly good?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 18, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ShadowHawk posted:

I've seen it happen a couple times. Not always immediately, but within a few years - the AI will swap the ideology (embracing the old one) using the conditions they normally do, ie if they still have a large majority population in that faction.

Admittedly this doesn't always happen, but definitely can if you, say, try to spiritualize an empire full of synths. They just go back to materialist.

Well, to be fair what you really are doing that for is to immediately shove them into your federation.

It's far easier to keep people in one than it is to get one to join one, after all.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Anias posted:

On brand. They like apocalyptic atmospheres. Being extinct is their cultural imperative.

isndl posted:

Last time I did it they decided to settle next to the militant isolationist FE. They also got an immediate guarantee of independence, so someone's getting steamrolled every ten years like clockwork.

This. Half the time they settle on Military FE borders/Holy Worlds because it's the only thing left to settle.

I'm fairly sure they take existing planets instead of spawning new ones.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

binge crotching posted:

Doesn't the FE call you up and demand you abandon the planet, giving you a free out? Or is that only for the Xenophobic ones?

Only the FE/Spiritualist ones.

But the AI doesn't do it when it's their only planet.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Fur20 posted:

is the ai building trash on captured planets to mess with me before i steal it or does the ai just regularly build five god damned holotheaters on one planet

Yes.

Because the Job system is a byzantine nightmare, you get situations like these. IIIRC, it's something like this:

1) AI notices amenities are low.
2) AI builds Holo Theatre.
3) The jobs don't actually get worked because some other job gets filled first.
4) AI notices amenities are still low, so it builds another Holo Theatre.
5) return to Step 2.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

toasterwarrior posted:

Is there a quicker way to set clerk jobs to zero or do I always need to do it manually whenever clerk jobs open up on a planet?

If you disable entirely it'll stay at 0 even if you add new ones iirc.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

toasterwarrior posted:

Ah yeah, I know about how you only need to do it once per planet, but I was just wondering if there's a way to automatically set it even when there's no clerk jobs yet (outpost stage or whatever) so I can just do it on colonization and never think about it ever again. Oh well.

Eh, you'll want to build a city district and a holo theatre or something of the sort on every new planet pretty drat soon anyway.

So I've never seen it as an issue though.

Maint. drones though...

they really need to be fixed.

Yes, fixed. It's a pain in the rear end and not micromanaging them is actively going to cripple your empire because you simply do not need 30 maint drones ANYWHERE except for your biggest full planets, you just get way too many for how many city districts you need.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Bloodly posted:

How do you feel about the number of building slots you get? Do you think there's enough? Not enough? Too many?

I feel like they're pretty much perfect.

I never feel like I have too few (unless I'm playing Voidborne, anyway) but I always want more.

With the sole exception of Research Labs, really. I feel like we should just have Research Districts now. I know that it'll devalue Ring Worlds even more, but... meh.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Well... it is called Deathworld.

Also guilli's is totally fine for new players imo. It's not really micromanagey at all like that one player implied (since you know what you're getting into before you even get a colony ship there) and it's also not 3% bonuses either.

I can barely play without the mod anymore since a lot of vanilla planets are bland foundry fodders and that gets boring really fast.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 5, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Fur20 posted:

i'm kind of split, guilli's mod is really cool but it adds things that the AI doesn't know how to deal with, and things that are great but definitively overpowered.

i do however like that it elevates baol from "great to fake your early game economy but it's basically the world shaper feat that costs influence to use" to "holy poo poo" as using the artifact on a planet adds a massive permanent output bonus, soft-increases the planet size by 2, and stacks with mastery of nature

That's not unique to the baol, actually.

When you terraform a planet you get a size/district increase based on your ascension perks. If you have Mastery, you get +2 (independent from the decision), if you have World Shaper you get another +2. (At least that's how it used to be, it might actually scale now?)

Also like "The AI doesn't know how to deal with it" is such a low, low bar to clear in Stellaris, honestly.

If it doesn't know how to exploit modifiers that's kind of a big problem in vanilla already.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

And Tyler Too! posted:

I like Guilli's but sometimes it will utterly ruin your 2 freebie worlds and I have zero patience for that.

Eh, that's so early in the run that you can just restart, tho.

I feel like that doesn't offset having actually unique planets that you actually can go like "I want, no, need this!" instead of "Cool, another planet I guess."

silentsnack posted:

Sorry if it was unclear. That post wasn't intended to refer to whichever particular mod but meant as a general statement about recommending gameplay-altering mods as 'essential' for people who are not very familiar with the base game, as an example to support the idea that it's okay for people to have different perspectives.

Unless the statement "The fact that you don't agree with a subjective assessment does not make it invalid or objectively wrong." is somehow controversial to you, or your opinion requires settling the argument by fighting an ideology war in grogspace, in which case lmao.

Nah I thought your post was specific to guilli's.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Guilliman posted:

snip
Terraforming should (almost) never feel like a gamble or a bad thing to do. If It does with some modifiers, let me know

Oh it wasn't a dig at you, Guilli, the poor state of the AI isn't really your fault. I was taking a dig at the vanilla AI.

I have to say I'm always really antsy to terraform into machine worlds with your mod. Since there doesn't seem to be a relation to preexisting modifiers.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Guilliman posted:

Machine worlds will remove almost all of them yeah. One of my last updates stopped them from removing precursor modifiers though (fun reason).
It's hard to make machine world terraforming work with most planet modifiers. You're basically turning the entire surface of the planet to metal. Very few things "survive" that

Yeah, but maybe base the machine world modifiers on the "organic ones"?

Like if there's a mining bonus you get some sort of mining bonus, if there's a food one you get organic slurry, etc.

Like it is kind of annoying having to rebuild your planets just because your planet that had a 20% energy bonus now has a mining bonus instead, that kind of thing.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Guilliman posted:

I'll experiment with the terraform links, no idea how transparent that tooltip is. It does mean moving a lot of scripting to those links which might be more trouble than it's worth duo to mod compatibility (other mods overwriting terraform links files)

Couldn't it just be in the planet modifier description itself? I think that what they're saying actually.

Like, as an example just add a warning "gets removed when turned into a Desert/Arid/Machine World" to the end of the "Endless Fish" description or something like that.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Guilliman posted:

Manually writing and keeping that updates is too much work honestly. I use 4 basic planet categories to check whether modifiers get removed + all the special ones like city planets, machine, hive, tomb. So it'd be a fair bit of localization to mess with.

Fair enough.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I've legitimately had this one in 2300+

I think it was even close to 2400.

At that point i just had to decline it because it just straight up was impossible to do anymore.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

It's literally what they did, actually, regarding Intel.

They removed the perfect info (which is honestly fine), but they made that part of the free patch so people that don't have Nemesis can just... idk, get hosed I guess? Because all the real ways to gain intel are paid DLC

In fact, iirc it's completely impossible to look at the setup for space fauna now.

Everything else about the free patch is good, but that one is... yeaaah...

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 8, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Is it worth colonising 60% habitable worlds very early (12 years say) into the game if I don't intend to go down the bio route? I have a size 24 with a lot of blockers and a 13 with only two in a region no other empires have hyperlane access to, but which I haven't claimed. It's not an immediate concern because there's an 80% size 25 world that I'm rushing towards right now, but it's 3 jumps from my border so will take me a couple of years to claim the system.

ALWAYS colonize those.

Anything 50%+ is good really. You get a ton of habitability technology and can terraform later if you have more energy than sense.

Which you usually do.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

Psionic is the only true path to ascension you heathen.

:colbert:

Never heard of a Psionic Path, did they recently add a third?

Splicer posted:

I think the question is should they colonise now or wait a bit until the 80%s are better established.

Fairly sure the correct answer is "now".

It's super early, so you want the parallel growth.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

It would be if Titans were any good. Like the auras are useful, but Titans draw so much fire and take an inordinately long time to build, so I just do More Battleships instead.

I've found putting them on Carrier computers and giving them the longest range weapons while everyone else runs Artillery to work pretty well at keeping em alive.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I agree. The pops there eat more food (I dont know why, I guess the fluff is that it spoils faster or something?) and consume more CGs but more pops is more pops.

This reminds me - if I am Materialist is Psionic ever going to be a research option, or does something in the background make it impossible?

I think it precludes getting the card naturally in most ways but you can still get a Psionic Theory trait out of an event of even the entire tech card?

I've definitely had the option to research it but I'm fairly sure it wasn't a natural roll.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah it came up for me in a SP game when I got the Zroni, which makes sense. I'm in a coop MP game with a friend where I am the same species and I'm tempted to just be lazy and go Psionic if its possible because I dislike the other two options so much.

Honestly we really need more Ascension Perks. Ones that actually affect the game in meaningful ways (not just +2 Edict cap or +50% leader exp gain).

I feel like I'm taking the same ascension perks every game with like maybe 10% variation depending on the gimmick. It just doesn't feel like a choice right now. Especially the Paths are basically just a no brainer, you always end up with one.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The real reason BBs are better:

You don't need to build new ones every single fight.

Unironically. Building new ships is a huge alloy sink on top of being yet another thing you need to pay attention to.

The smaller you go, the more you have to replace even in battles you won.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Libluini posted:

This is relevant maybe if you don't use capital ships at all, but in mixed fleet it's literally a single click to regain all your tiny cover ships in short order.

A single click... that can easily cost you upwards of 1000 alloys. Which is a lot if you're going for Megastructures.

Which is exactly my point.

Might as well use those to build another battleship that you DON'T need to replace AGAIN the next fight.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

quote is not edit... whoops.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I cannot express in words how frustrating it is to have a Criminal Syndicate find me via another contact I have less than 20 years into a game. I hate playing militaristic out of the gate and now I pretty much have to conquer two whole AIs or start over if I dont want to deal with the completely, absurdly, unbelievably stupid Criminal Syndicate AI.

edit: and whats really loving stupid is that if I use the console to tag switch to them and close their Branch Offices on my planets, it destroys a building on each planet. Real loving great gameplay, Paradox.

Oh and don't forget that merchant job that gets lost so you get an unemployed ruler for approximately ever.

What bothers me way more is the relative lack of counter play (no, having to build more enforcer jobs and hoping it'll eventually disappear isn't really counterplay) and the fact that they have the basic megacorp AI.

As in, they LOVE putting their stuff on their allies. Sometimes I play gestalt or a megacorp just to avoid that crap.

Crime Syndicates have been borderline broken since... they were released, actually.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Crime Syndicates have a lot of issues:

They should be way more wary of putting their crap on people they actually like.
There need to be actual ways to combat the issue. Ones that aren't "put down a enforcer building and wait 10 years". It's a MTTH event, iirc, and it really doesn't mean much if one closes and the guy placed down 5 more in the meantime.
They need to not gently caress up jobs as much as they do. The very first building they'll build is usually the one that gives a merchant, which means even if you get rid of the office you end up with an unemployed ruler.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The AI just somehow declared an ally of mine the Galactic Crisis without actually doing anything in the Galactic Council. We're in the middle of a minor sanctions vote when I suddenly get a popup about this ally being declared the Crisis. I have the highest diplomatic weight and am a member of the council but I seemingly have no recourse here. Anyone seen this happen before?

Your ally must have gotten to the final stage of the Become the Crisis chain.

That automatically does that.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Does this relic give all your races 1 gene mod point on every activation? That seems ridiculously strong if so. Could it be that the point is just for the resurrected species?

It's a passive effect.

Every single species you have gets +1 point to genemod with.

You don't any additional picks, though. You may need to remove a negative trait so you can cram in a positive one for example.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Libluini posted:

Huh, I just ran into an issue I never thought about before: An event army spawned on my one and only planet, and defeated the defenses. Cue my surprise when I found out that nope, even in an emergency like this, recruitment of new troops is just flat-out blocked, instead of penalized or something.

So now I'm frantically colonizing a 20% planet at the other end of my borders, just so I can recruit armies from my sizable total population to send back to the capital.

Meanwhile, my highly industrialized capital, capable of outfitting and arming all those soldiers, can do nothing except wait while the population is slowly dropping.

I know this is a weird edge case caused by a mod, but it made me realize how odd it is that a planet carrying billions of people can't do anything, because welp, those random killbots officially "occupied" the planet, resistance is now illegal! :shepface:

Look on the flipside: Do you want an AI to do that to you constantly? Because they will. On cooldown, if it has one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

That said event spawned armies are honestly a poo poo mechanic anyway.

Early on it's a massive money sink, lategame they're an afterthought and at no point to they show up often enough that having an army ready beforehand is actually worth it. Unless you have pre-knowledge of the events some of those are in a chain of.

And pretty much almost all of them are far stronger than any incidental defense armies you may have unless it hits a fortress world.