Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I havent played since apocalypse and after trying to play a new game I realized I have no idea what the gently caress is going on in the game with this new system.

Is there a brief overview somewhere that can explain thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is there a guide out there for the current ship build meta?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I saw some stuff saying that the synthetic pops from synthetic ascension were bugged somehow and had been heavily nerfed. It might of been a few patches ago but can anyone tell me whats going on there? Synthetic used to be my favorite ascension and Id hate for it to be in a bad state for my upcoming multiplayer game.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Are there any meaningful differences between Hive Worlds, Machine Worlds, and Ecumenopolises?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How do people feel about fanatical purifers and their variants in multiplayer? Good or just too easy to get focused down?

Im gonna be playing with around 4 other people this weekend so I wanted to hear peoples thoughts before I committed to something that will end it early for me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I am upset that Xenophile doesn't let me enslave species

there is nothing about being Xenophilic that prevents me from collecting alien species as glorified pets/livestock

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are Machine Empires still horribly broken? If not what's a good starting build and general guide?

Also interested in this as well, eyeing up some driven assimilators for my MP game tomorrow

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
multiplayer game is ago and I'm already in the lead with my Driven Assimilators, how long should I wait until I kick open the L-gates?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is it possible to mod in non-Gestalt robots?

Synthetic ascension results in non gestalt robots so the code has to be there.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ran into a bug where gene-modding your assimilated Bio-pops as a Driven Assimilator makes you re-assimilate them. It crashed my economy in about five seconds :suicide:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
You mean y'all arent just clicking the big "assimilate" button on the CB screen?

smdh

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I do really want a "I don't ever have to think about microing this planet ever again" button since it gets especially tedious with large empires but by and large I think the economy updates are extremely positive. About the only thing I could really think to add thats missing is some sort of Civ or Endless Legend style luxury resources that could grease the diplomacy wheels a little bit but thats really it.

The wider game is clearly missing several key systems related to Diplomacy and Espionage as well as certain overarching civics that are just unplayable like Criminal Syndicates and Barbaric despoilers, but given the work they've done on warfare, empire development and the economy I am confident that they are headed in the right direction for fixing those things.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zig-Zag posted:

It's called population controls. Just stop pop growth on that particular planet and never worry about it again.

you can really only use that after the planet is "done" unless you just want a half grown rump of a planet forever and it costs influence for no real reason, influence that can be especially precious for Gestalts

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It is weird to me just how much the wider internet is whining about the changes despite how much they are obviously better and more fleshed out than what they are replacing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

This really needs to be the thread title.

since we are talking about it, is there any point at all that I should be concerned about how far I am over the cap or can I basically just ignore it until my robots have conquered and colonized every square inch of the galaxy?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really want megacorp mechanics to get fleshed out a lot more, similar to what happened to hive minds after Utopia

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So unless im on the opposite end of the galaxy or have a massive navy is there any reason to not immediately submit to the Great Khan? Seems like its pure downside to actually try to put up a fight, especially if the marauders border you.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Don't get me wrong the Khan is a fun event but I do wish you got to do a bit more than either go up against their death fleets or submit and watch them slowly expand outward. Perhaps some minor court intrigue stuff where you can nudge the Khan towards your preferred targets?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Splicer posted:

I feel dirty saying this but I agree with ham sandwiches

same, the problem is Megastructures come far too late to really interact with them like you want to, not with Ecumenopolises and their variants

like I get why there are hoops with Megastructures, but having one of the hoops be an ascension perk is just unnecessary when combined with the tech rarity and absolutely massive resource cost

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The thing about Ecumenopolises is that the Gestalt Consciousnesses don't get access to them and they're not just able to keep up with the civics that do get them but can easily surpass them without even trying.

Sure it bulldozes some of the planetary management aspect of the game but until Paradox addresses it planetary management is easily the least fun and most tedious part of the game. Quite frankly I'm grateful for the QoL benefits that Ecumenopolises provide.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Any advice for playing criminal syndicates? I feel like its way to easy for my branch offices to get removed without really getting up and running.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
did the assimilator bug where conquered pops wheren't being converted get fixed yet? It really messed up a multiplayer game I'm in and I'd like to know if its fixed before I dive back into it this weekend

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Got about a third of a way through an Inward Perfection game before finding out that Agrarian Idyll locks you out of Ecumenopolises.

Guess Im not going any further in THAT save file.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Talkie Toaster posted:

They really need to move the synthetic techs to the lategame. As it stands, only Zro and Dark Matter are really worth getting into a war over.

Please do not do this

Edit: if you want to do anything then add civ or endless style luxury resources to the game as both an additional resource to exploit and something you can trade off to grease the diplomacy wheels a little bit.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 7, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

pmchem posted:

The entire time I've owned this game, patch 2.0 onwards, federations have been irredeemable garbage. It's so disappointing because I WANT to lead one. But they suck.

Don't join one.

I've been playing on and off since Utopia and I can confidently say federations have always been poo poo no matter the patch

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Taear posted:

I still really like them. You get an enormous fleet (that you now always have) and you don't have to do anything for it.
Plus you get allies that stay with you forever.

Yeah but who needs allies when you can just have infinite power with Ecumenopolises/being a Machine Intelligence

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Preston Waters posted:

Gestalts have some pretty bullshit limitations. Why can I not get an alien zoo?

My hive mind just wants to have a place to watch and pet some goddamn alien animals.

In exchange you get to break game balance over your knee

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Trivia posted:

I find the ship designer to be the biggest goddamn chore.

This chore would be lessoned if I could import ship designs and names across playthroughs.

this would actually solve every problem with the ship designer that I have

let me just set them up how I want and then never think about it again until the next big combat patch

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

scaterry posted:

Lol

Been watching some Imperator:Rome streams and been wondering-- could formable nations work in Stellaris? Stuff like forming the federation in Star Trek, or becoming a fallen empire/precursor. It would give the player a tangible goal to work towards in the midgame/endgame.

I dont think formable nations like that would work but you could do something like the hre in eu4 where eventually you can turn the disconnect ed hre members into a unified nation through a series of reforms. It would be an interesting addition to federations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Replace 'alloys' with 'chitin' and have them be made from food instead of minerals, my personal suggestion

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Bio-ships are one of the things from my list that I personally want to see in the game, partially to lean into the hive mind stuff more and partially to be the yuuzhan vong

I'll check out the mod when you finish it up

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
at least 20% of the reason Gestalts are good is because you never need to interact with the faction system ever

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
say what you will about quill18 but his economy tutorial is one of the better explanations of the new economy out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu089STzDEw

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Wait there are empires that dont rely on space stations to protect their trade?

It a little rough early on but even getting to the second tier of station allows you to cover double the territory with half as many stations, and that range gets doubled everytime you get a station upgrade. Why would you rely on ships after that point?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SettingSun posted:

Machine Empires are very strong, so in a way you did go easy mode.

Driven Assimalators specifically are monstrously op as well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Personally I think the great khan needs a slight buff both in the actual event and its aftermath. It fizzles out too fast and the successor states always collapse way too easily.

I want the space Timurids or Selucids (depending on the particular historical source you want to pull from) to be a real possibility. Maybe you can give the successor states a chance to reawaken and try to expand on the work of the first Khan?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Midgame crises should be more political in nature while the big scifi apocalypses are reserved for the endgame crises.

Ive always thought a good midgame crisis would be the rise of a great prophet who drains your civ of spiritualist pops and once they reach a critical mass they launch a great crusade throughout the galaxy.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Admin cap is one thing but i almost never go over fleet cap just because the energy penalties are so heinous.

Plus its just easier to get fleet cap vs admin cap.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
While we are on the subject of megacorps does anyone have any tips on how to do a slavery focused megacorp? Ive tried it a couple times but the slaves either feel unnecessary or underwhelming. I want to use bio engineering and slave worlds to leverage a small number of high pop worlds but the techs that do this are either locked behind ascension perks (bio engineering) or are too rare to reliably get early enough to fully utilize (slave worlds).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

Are you going to make a space empire based on Apple?

my plan is to do a capitalism

Black Pants posted:

I just did this. I made a criminal megacorp with stratified economy and built robots I kept as slaves too. I grabbed the ascension perk that lets you use the raiding stance in the hope of capturing aliens as slaves (though didn't get a chance to until end game for reasons) so about 1/3 to 1/2 of my planetary populations ended up being subservient synthetic workers - which are like regular slaves but can work any job (and also are dangerous). I went biological ascension too, which was nice when I finally got alien pops and could nerve staple them.

It was, in all, a very odd game though. Micromanaging crime and slaves/pre-synth robots not being able to work metallurgist jobs plus the kinda lame planets I had available to me meant I spent a large portion of my game severely alloy and mineral starved and I ended up buying a ridiculous amount of them off the market, and that prevented me from going on any kind of offensive until late game unfortunately. Also yeah wow, thrall worlds (and prison worlds too) tech was one of the last techs I rolled in the Social deck.

I think if I had a better start (I was stuck in a weird position with four lanes leading out of my space; two of them leading into fanatic purifier space, one into a FE and one into the enigmatic fortress) and if I'd worried less about crime for a while and gone on the offensive enough to grab some slaves I could've done better? I feel like it could work though.

Is there a reason you chose a criminal megacorp? I've had a fairly negative experience with the crime syndicates and haven't had a desire to really revisit them after seeing other people being similarly disappointed with them.

My plan was mostly centered around a normal megacorp with this setup:

I've found success but I always lose track of the slave stuff and end up playing a mostly normal civ with some branch offices which isn't really what I want to do.