Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Aethernet posted:

And mods?

The new patch is just out, so most mods won’t work for a while. Two to keep an eye on are:

Star Trek: New Horizons – The best Star Trek game. Really.
Guilli’s Planet Modifiers – Goonmade improvements to all your worlds.

Awesome thread title. And thanks for mentioning my mod :)
I'll try my hardest to get it updated by (the end of maybe) this weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Gort posted:

Loving the game so far. Slow expansion through outpost spam feels much better than what we had before.

It feels more like you're investing in your empire all the way trough mid game too. I like it. It feels a bit slow compared to previous version but that's just a matter of getting used to it.
I really like that I'm constantly doing stuff now.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Conot posted:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

edit: weird bug, admirals fall off of fleets after fights sometimes o_O

Ran into this one myself, once.

Same here

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

For those interested,

Guilli's planet modifiers mod has been updated to 2.0
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865040033

patchnotes here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/changelog/865040033

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

What's the point of bombardment now? It will nearly glass the planet before it does any meaningful damage to enemy troops and takes a very very very long time so you're always better off just build a couple more ground troops.

huehuehuehue
*evil laughter for days*

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

I strongly recommend you check the modifiers on all weapons and especially the designs of the NPC stuff now, which you can look at since the patch, the NPC weapons have particularly extreme modifiers which makes them also quite valuable to acquire, I suspect.

Thats it, there's too much cool new stuff in this update. :3

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Dallan Invictus posted:

> What's this Decreased Solar Output malus my capital world's star keeps getting?

I THINK that's a new feature in Gulli's planet mod, stars can randomly get increased or decreased output.

Correct. A few random stars go into an increased or decreased solar output 'mode' every once and a while. With a temporary buff/debuff to all planets in the system.

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 25, 2018

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Gulli's planet modifiers in a recent version added some new ones, namely that if you build a habitat round the planet they're on, it adds a bonus to the habitat. It's cool because it means that some worlds make really good hab locations, I got a planet with 2 habitat bonuses on it so when I built it I got a habitat with +20 flat physics and +10 flat energy. Really nice bonus! Not gamebreaking cos it's only a couple of labs/solar panels worth but it's free. I think it's honestly pretty fair really given that habs now cost 10000 minerals and there aren't many double bonus planets out there which are also in good systems for your habitats, really makes you want to search for them.

Much as I enjoyed the entire galaxy being made of solid mineral asteroids and having 30 minerals per asteroid belt, I'm glad they were toned down honestly. The habitat modifiers I think are fair for the cost involved and the rest is in a good place. You'll end up with a richer galaxy on average but not by a silly amount.

I'm keeping an eye on comments like this :) It's hard to get balance right. Overall with my mod resources are a bit more abundant throughout the galaxy. My last update doubled or trippled the habitability malus from negative modifiers, so some planets end up being a bit harder to colonise. This to somewhat compensate for the resources in the galaxy.

That said, I am keeping an eye on the resources though. For habitats I think it's fine as you need to spend time looking for a nice planet to build it over, and it costs 10.000 minerals and time to build.
For maximum cheeze: build a habitat over the time lost planet and then terraform/colonize said planet lol

It is possible, in the future, that I include a minor defines tweak to offset the resources (some kind of tiny upkeep increase somewhere). I haven't looked into it, but I'll see how the game feels. Right now I'm in full on bugfix mode.

Glad you're all enjoying the mod :)

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

What's the accepted norm when it comes to bug reporting involving modding? I really dont want to post on the bug forums unless I discovered (and confirm with test) a vanilla bug. They have their hands full as it is.

I'm unsure how to proceed. I'm also fairly sure I've done everything correctly.

for those interested:
I discovered weird behaviour when making a custom defense army building and a custom defense army spawned from that building.

1) build custom building
2) every month spawns 1 of your custom unit associated with that building up to the max you set it to spawn (defense_armies = 3)
3) once it has your max defense armies (3 in my case) it starts to delete some of the normal defense armies every month
4) once all other defense armies are gone, it starts replacing them with your custom defense armies

It's really weird :p
Video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OArcau5vzK0

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

GotLag posted:

Another bug for you: modifiers need to be removed when planets get cracked (and pacified too?). In particular precursor shields look really out of place on a cracked planet.

And yes, I'm enjoying the mod too. I haven't done much colonisation in Cherryh but I really liked the events in 1.9 to remove negative modifiers - at least I'm assuming those were your mod and not vanilla.

I fix that partially today. (only for newly cracked planets**). Planet cracking will remove pretty much all modifiers. I'll take a look at the shield graphics not being removed. I kinda want to be a bit more exotic with those and planet killers, but since I cant afford the DLC right now I cant really experiment/test. I'm not 100% sure how to remove the planet shield graphics with the event and like I said, cant test it right now.

So for now it'll look a bit silly, least for this month :3

And thanks for the compliments! Yeah I added in a lot of mini events that remove some negative modifiers after a while :)

**edit: of you want to clear modifiers on already cracked planets: Select the broken planet, open the console and type event pm_planet_destruction.1

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 26, 2018

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Gyrotica posted:

That can be fixed. What's your Steam handle?

It's fine dude, really don't have to! I can get it next month :) Thanks though!

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Libluini posted:

No!

(I always take my first techs for roleplay reasons. And even later, I often stop and think: "What would the people of this empire actually choose, based on their own desires?" Ironically, Planetary Unification is always my first pick for that exact same reason: It just makes so much sense in the early game, when you're still a young, barely united space civilization.)

That's what I do too!

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

I would like to file a real life bug report:

The day does not have enough time to play all the game.

Pls update

kk thx

:>

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Crazyeyes24 posted:

1. Tech. Ascendancy

I wish Tech. Ascendancy felt more like it had an impact. I mean, I know it does, +10% ontop of everything is really good. But it doesn't 'feel' like it does anything special. Does anyone else feel like that too with this particular tech?

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

:>

Predicting an official feature for patch 2.3 or later :P

Need some ideas how ship crews could alter ships? Right now I just have Standard crew, Psionic Crew, Synthetic Crew, Clone Crew, Purifier Crew, Alien Crew (think star trek), Slave Crew

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Maybe I'm just really dumb on the ethics and expectations of bug reporting but I find the 100 character limit for bug reports really infuriating. So much so I'm expecting to be banned for posting it as a normal thread:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...mplate.1075385/

That error message made me far more angrier than I'd like.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Does anyone else feel combat speed is way too fast?
I don't think artillery ships or long range starbases are possible right now. The enemy fleet just has to tank one shot before they're in engagement range with their superior shorter range weapons.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Anyone elses modded or unmodded save produce a 2gb+ log :P with tons of ingame lag to boot? My save is modded and pretty much in the start of the late game.

Managed to pry open the error log and it's all this error:

[trigger_impl.cpp:9680]: [ file: common/scripted_effects/pirate_fleet_effects.txt line: 440] Invalid target planet scope for is_planet trigger

Trying to find out if this happens to non-modded saves before making a bug report.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

I believe there are a couple of mods that add more of them.

Yeah but none of them are written by the finest writers known to man so they are 100% bad even though people made those mods for free for others to enjoy.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Jazerus posted:

something that's not obvious: gulli's habitat modifiers on moons apply to habitats built over their planet

a well-rolled gas giant can be ridiculously good because of this

:)

If you really want to cheeze btw, build a habitat over a planet or a planet with a moon that has the Temporally Displaced modifier (the science one that adds 6/6/6 to space resource & research bonuses)
It too gets a habitat bonus (+science) and after you have your habitat. Terraform that planet and colonize it. Double dipping the bonuses :P

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

My defense platforms always get murdered too fast to do anything useful.

:allears:

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

How? :psyduck:

The best I’ve hit is like 40k

Was just taking a jab at ya :>
This is quite modded, tier 10 components + defensive stations and defensive fortresses alongside of the platforms.
I wonder if there's a mod out there that already add the medium and large defensive stations back into the game in the form of platforms. If not I might release it as a separate mod instead.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Honestly they should just return in the base game.
It's not hard to balance them out:
Medium platforms require starbase level 3: long build time, uses 2 defense platform "capacity" and more expensive.
The large platform requires starbase level 5: even longer build time (year+), uses 4 defense platform capacity and even more expensive, especially on the energy upkeep.
Each stations main bonus over the previous one is higher base hull health (x2.5 over previous size) and more weapon slots. Utility slot numbers dont have to increase x2 for every size either.

In my component mod they're fairly balanced this way. I'm using custom sections to make sure no station is too overpowered by having too many weapon and utility slots. They do gain extra aux slots. You build the small platforms to bring up your defenses fast. The medium and large ones you build over time to reinforce the small ones.

I really think they could work in the base game tbh and I hope to see them return.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

I'm going to have so much fun with this :>
My writer finished the last events I wanted, this should be right up her alley too.

(obviously not done). I want tons more options and back and forth dialogue. Depending on your ethics could be friendly, or hostile.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Gyrotica posted:

Just get the mod that has them all happen. Occasionally at the same time :shepface:

This is fine.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Eltoasto posted:

Some people disband them as they cost you more minerals in upkeep than just rebuilding them when you colonize and actually need ships. It's a small savings though so I just leave them be.

I just leave them orbiting my home world because I'm not a heartless soul. :>

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Guilli I just want to say your ship parts mod is loving great and is probably going to be a permanent addition, so far I especially like the crew slot and the armoured engine variant, and the 3 aux slot corvettes are spectacularly fun.

Update for 2.0.2 will come this weekend probably. There's a couple of changes to weapons (I think torpedoes got nerfed and pd buffed) that I'll need to update in the mod.

Glad people enjoy it.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

GotLag posted:

I had a quick go at it but as soon as I researched an armoured thruster my civilian ships insisted on using it, instead of the other, faster thrusters I'd researched.

In other news, I am in love with your new tile blocker icons.

Hah, I'll disable those from science ships! Good catch, didn't even think about that.
And thanks about the tileblockers, I've tried to find pictures as close to the vanilla blockers as possible.

Nordick, you really are going to regret those words. Not today, not tomorrow, but someday. hehe. hehehahaha... hahahahahahahahahaa...
starts working on empire galaxy destroying alien egg event

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 30, 2018

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Need defensive med/large stations back as a mid/endgame option.

Medium platforms for tier 3+ starbases
Large platforms for citadels only.
You can already restrict their "size". In my mod the mediums take up 2 starbase platform slots, the large ones 4. (in the screenshot they still took up 1 for testing reasons)

Health scales are:
Small: 1000
Medium:2500
Large: 6000

Balance wise: restricted utility slots and medium platforms have few options for smaller weapons and large weapons. Large platforms have no small slots for weapons (and thus vulnerable to small ships), but access to multiple large slots.

I'm very sure they can be balanced if brought back. Hell, the large platforms could be locked behind a perk to add extra "cost".

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Gekkoh posted:

Maybe the AI just needs a little more help in order to have the resources it needs to expand AND build up a decent sized fleet?

The AI needs to first start building loving buildings. At no point should there be more than two pops without a building underneath it in any AI empire. If the player can manage this, so should the AI. Especially with it's resource cheating

The same can be said for player sectors. I strongly believe the AI doesnt queue up multiple buildings on a single planet. It just seems to do one, wait for it to finish, and then do another. Meanwhile, 5 new pops have appeared duo to migration and growth.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think there's anything wrong with this, since a single planet can only build one building at a time anyway?

I haven't checked this at all, but with the speed they build I almost feel like they only build one at a time in their entire empire rather than per planet. If you just do one building after another you shouldnt have free pops for long. Something is definitally preventing the AI from properly building.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Soup du Journey posted:

Do fire rate modifiers affect strike craft?

Dont think so since strike craft have strike craft specific damage and fire rate modifiers

-

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Soup du Journey posted:

Hm, it should be possible for me to add those modifiers to things like militarist or purifier combat buffs then, yeah?

They work just like any other modifier combat buff so I dont see why not. The modifiers are listed below for strike craft:
(the speed multi is flight speed which still works but isn't used in the base game anymore)

weapon_type_strike_craft_weapon_damage_mult
weapon_type_strike_craft_weapon_fire_rate_mult
weapon_type_strike_craft_speed_mult

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

I really wish gateways werent blocked to "1 per time". Rediculous if you want to build a large network late-late game.

I've cheated and modded it so the first stage time is practically 0. The only restriction should be resources. If "manpower" as the devs claim is massive for these structures, then bloody put in a manpower resource. Late game (250 years +) I shouldn't be restricted by anything other than raw resources. As it is now it's tedious and unfun. Much like upgrading 20+ starbases and building poo poo in them.

I'm really starting to get frustrated at the huge amount of tediousness "busy work" in the game.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Time is a bad resource when it means, from a gameplay perspective, you sit there for 1-2 hours at max speed waiting for poo poo to finish building/upgrading.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Splicer posted:

Yeah I know, it's a great idea and should be core. I find Guilli's mod makes planets a little busy for my liking though.

When was the last time you tried my mod btw? :>

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

wiegieman posted:

What he's obliquely hinting at is that there's now a startup event that displays a menu for you to choose how many modifiers a planet will have.

Correct ;> 2.0+ saw a major rewrite of most of my mod's internal code which allowed me to do this;

The recommended setting is now less modifiers than what it was pre 2.0 and the low amount is even less. High is ridiculous :P
I'm slightly increasing the chance of the first modifier showing up on habitable planets in the next update though since I found too many of them empty at times. But that shouldnt let you stop you from giving my mod another chance :)

Let me know what you think

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 15, 2018

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Splicer posted:

Yeah, my ideal is one modifier being the norm, with 0 or 2 being possible but noteworthy. The Star Trek style planet of hats approach. I really liked the modifiers themselves but I finally shelved it when my two freebie planets had three negative modifiers and two negative modifiers respectively :stonklol:
This happens to me when I have 30 of a design in a fleet out of 20 allotted or whatever because the game doesn't display you have too many if a ship in any way. Check your full designs, if you increase the number of ships allowed does the number of ships present also go up? It's still dumb but mainly a UI issue (it doesn't display excess ships, they're supposed to kick out extra ships if you hit reinforce but you can't hit reinforce if you're full of the wrong ships)

The 0-2 option should be perfect for you then :) with that setting their spawn chance is lower as well. Guarantee you'd like it :)

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

toasterwarrior posted:

Quoting you because I'd like to ask something: Guilli, is it a game bug that Starbases and their weapon modules won't use mod-added weapons at all? I think I might switch back to your ship components mod over Extra Ship Components. It's a good mod, but the tech tree gets ridiculously huge and I'm certain that there's a fair amount of stuff in it that isn't balanced at all (those chrono something cannons are insane and there's literally no point in using anything else), so I'd like to go back to yours since I remember it being a lot slimmer. However, Starbases getting outgunned because they don't upgrade properly is also bad so I'm trying to avoid that.

I'm not sure about starbases modules tbh. I'll need to check that.My mod adds starbase defense stations and fortresses next to defense platforms, and the higher tier armor techs give starbases extra health as well so they can keep up with bigger fleets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Penultimatum posted:

I’m playing with gulli’s planet modifiers and I found a “living planet” orbiting a black hole. How do I deal with this thing? It seems to insta-kill anything it hits with some kind of super-weapon. What kind of firepower do you need to kill it?

Same amount of strength you need to kill a dimensional horror right now. I think around 30k should do if focused on hull dmg. I'm going to give it a custom loadout and stats soon though, not sure how strong I want it to be yet.