Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There are four of the terraced hexagon things allocated to the district that looks like living space, so maybe each one of those is something like 10 max pop and an additional building slot.

I’m curious what “size 16” means in this new system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Two weeks

Anno
May 10, 2017

Just a handful of hours until the first dev diary about the upcoming changes. What are people's guesses about what will be included in this patch/DLC alongside the planet overhaul? Trade seems like a reasonable guess, though I seem to remember Wiz saying in the past that the game would never be about a complicated trading system.

Anno
May 10, 2017

My hope is that changes in Le Guin are the type of necessary structural reforms that help the eventual diplomacy overhaul really shine. Bonus if they can really spice up the internal polictal game to boot, which I imagine has to be part of the aim.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Fired the game up for the first time since I think my playthrough when Utopia launched. I enjoyed it at launch and then, just not as much as some other games. The way the game is now, though, and with a handful of mods, I find this incredibly engrossing. I think I'll set Civ 5 VP aside for awhile and try to get better at this game. I thought I was going to wait until 2.2 to really jump back in and have fun but it's been a blast so far.

And just as a general thing, the soundtrack to this game continues to be among the best out there, I think.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Thrasophius posted:

Soundtracks awesome that's for sure. I am a bit the opposite though, I think it's a lot slower now. You can't have your fleet explore, you have to send science ships everywhere first. I liked scouting systems with loads of bodies for the big resources there. I don't like that you need to scan the entire system before you can slap down an outpost where before you could scan the star, put an outpost down for the influence zone and finish scanning later. I don't like that you need an outpost in every single system too rather than an influence zone from one outpost covering multiple stars and I don't like being forced to use hyper lanes.

I know lots of people think it's an improvement but it just feels off to me.

I can definitely see how people wouldn't like the changes. I'm a crazy person who plays at no higher than "Fast", though, so I love the slower pace.

HiKaizer posted:

I like Stellaris' OST a lot because the sound fonts and language do a lot to define the feel of the game. It has a lot of good sci-fi synth that feels really good for the themes of exploration and discovery the game focuses on.

Yeah this is definitely the reason. Basically all the tracks are built around heightening the sense of exploration and discovery that the game is so good at. It's what the soundtrack to Mass Effect Andromeda should've been if that whole game wasn't some nightmare identity crisis.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Interesting. I can see it work just fine honestly. It does seem like a game that suffers massively from not having access to mods, but I guess lots of console folks have fun playing XCOM as well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Quill18’s friend AKiss4Luck does YouTube stuff, and I think I’ve seen her do Total War and Civ before. Dunno if she’s ever messed with a PDS game but she’d have a great tutor handy.

Anno
May 10, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

My experience watching Quill18 play PDS games suggests that you probably shouldn't be taking any advice from him. Maybe he's gotten better, but he seemed clueless in every EU4 vid of his. Which of course should by no means exclude him from the youtuber clash videos, since it's pretty funny watching them flounder around a bit.

Eh I think he’s a perfectly fine player. He just goes way too fast and doesn’t really like rolling around in the nitty gritty detail stuff half the time. I think his style makes his PDS-game series fun since the games are good at supporting kinda whacky play, but I would understand people not liking the style. I yell at him on his RimWorld streams for the same reason.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I wonder what the gameplay differences are between planet stability and having enough amenities for your populace. Or maybe they’re just two different factors impacting the same thing (crime and piracy?)

Also a nice thematic change to an otherwise kinda boring civic.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1031844699835912193

Anno
May 10, 2017

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The +2 level cap for governors was nice, could allow you to create some very powerful sectors to rake in minerals and energy for you. It also opened up more room for additional admirals. Boring but very handy for the right build.

Yeah I think it’s a good civic as it is. I usually take it. I keep hoping they’ll just remove leader level caps but make it progressively much harder to attain new ranks. I like playing long-lived species and want to see really high level powerful leaders.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Pylons posted:

Inter-federation conflict would go a long way towards that.

Yeah this was the thing from Wiz's talk at PDXCon that made me the most excited. Hopefully 2.2 lays the foundation for like 2.5 to be a massive diplomacy overhaul across the board, both internally and otherwise. And hopefully some of the internal politics are worked on with 2.2 itself now that society is basically changing as Stellaris knows it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Which of you guys begging for more teasers fell asleep at the wheel?
https://mobile.twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1032344718829600769

Nothing exciting but enjoy the pretty pictures.

I’m glad this’ll be in the outliner. Should be a really helpful reference. Also it’s just kinda cool looking at the output and seeing so much food from one place. That alone is enough to make it feel like a more interesting world than just having a bit of everything.

Anno
May 10, 2017

This looks like it will be so much more interesting. I almost always play some form of xenophile, so I’m glad that these changes seem to be promoting lots of species mixing it up together all over the empire.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Now that pops grow much more quickly I think that one species growing at a time can pretty easily be abstracted away, at least in my mind.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Didn’t Wiz recently say that xenophile has always been the most common choice for empires in Stellaris? It makes sense to me then for the default state to be something that trends more towards a cosmopolitan mixup of species than would be thought “realistic,” whatever that even means in Stellaris. Doubly so if doing so encourages players to bump into more of the systems and have some more friction in their empire. Just make it so players have a variety of options for influencing that weight in ways that make sense for any other ethics they try to follow.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I assume traits like communal will now change housing needs rather than happiness or whatever it is now.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Psychotic Weasel posted:

From what we know now it sounds like housing is tied to districts, of which planets can only support a finite amount. Some allowing for more than others depending on the type.

We've also seen some building types that show you can build additional housing in building slots as you unlock them so you'll have to weigh the benefits of using them for that vs. production/research and there's probably tech that helps there as well but it doesn't seem you can just build vertically forever. At some point you'll top out and have to find somewhere else to dump people.

I’m curious how much of an impact will be felt by overcrowding/negative housing. Maybe with the proper subsidies/buildings/whatever we can just shove people into tighter and tighter quarters and they won’t complain too much.

Anno
May 10, 2017

binge crotching posted:

I don't remember seeing anything about it, is there a way to stop growth on a planet? Maybe an empire policy setting that limits how much overcrowding there can be?

Wiz mentioned “growth controls” in a broad sense. We don’t know if that’s just a Civ-like “stop growing” box or not to my knowledge.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I do think overpopulation and its downsides could be an interesting internal late-game crisis of sorts. If there’s some sort of magic solution for it I hope it’s at least one that I need to sacrifice other parts of my empire to achieve.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Log082 posted:

I don't want to live in a world where the solution isn't "Build more ringworlds"

That would definitely be my preferred option. Or better yet just have one ringworld be able to hold essentially infinite pops but require massive costs upfront and to continue expanding. Basically a planet with like 999 available city districts that scale in cost or something.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Having more-alien aliens seems to be a design goal of 2.2, though. Or at least the capability to make them in the future.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Today’s dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-123-planetary-rework-part-3-of-4.1116917/

Anno
May 10, 2017

Staltran posted:

...Why? I don't understand this at all.

I think they mean that if only some portion of your robbits are sparked into life they should be angry that the rest weren't.

Edit: nevermind, misunderstood the post.

I agree with it though! This could be a fun middle-ground that still gave the decision some weight while letting you keep some of them as mindless drones.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm sure it's reasonable to have factions of synths that feel either way on the matter.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I could’ve sworn Wiz has talked about wanting to have a specific civic slot for those wonky origin-style picks. It’d be nice if everyone got to choose one, though maybe there should be a lot more of them first?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hopefully it’ll be something that’s easier to do with the new planet system. I’m hopeful that through both the base game and some great mods that planets will be way more interesting than ever before.

Anno
May 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1037342069403078656

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hopefully the trophies require very little housing so I can just cram a ton of them onto a planet for maximum unity.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think a lot of people here who’ve played consistently might say wait for the upcoming patch/DLC because it’s changing a lot of stuff people seem excited about. As someone else who’s basically just starting the game for the first time since launch month or so though I’d say go for it. I’m having a ton of fun. Get in there and experience tiles so you can appreciate Wiz even more when they go poof in the near future.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think it's also reasonable to assume that that fiddly kind of stuff will just be better by the time this launches. For any fault the game's UI has, piling lots of little icons into too small of a space isn't usually a problem.

Anno
May 10, 2017

One thing I guess I would like the UI to do better is teach me about ethics attraction. Not everything seems to be empire wide, right? Some are just local to the planet? I'm trying to determine how best to get rid of some of these xenophobe/militarist pops from my otherwise happy xenophile/spiritualist empire. Do I just suppress their factions?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Taear posted:

The best way is building a station in the system and putting a deep space black site on it.
No matter how much I supress the ethics or do stuff that increases ethics attraction I can't seem to remove the racist or authoritarian pops until I get black sites.

Oh right I forgot about those. I think I just got that tech, too. Good call, thanks!

Anno
May 10, 2017

Ahhh this all continues to look so good. I can’t wait to get some information on trade routes and what trade value really does. That’s one of the biggest things missing from the game right now for me thematically. It’s hard to believe so much is getting reworked in a single patch and we don’t even know what the DLC will be.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Announcing a big DLC the same time you’re launching one for another of your very popular games seems like a weird move. I imagine this’ll just be design talk.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a saved version I can watch?

They haven’t cut it all up yet so you’ll need to scrub to about 3:12:00 in this video if it doesn’t do it automatically

Edit: never mind they just did, use https://www.twitch.tv/videos/306616257 instead

Anno
May 10, 2017

Looks like Paradox is having a publisher sale on Steam this weekend. Reminder to people looking to fill out their DLC lineup that if you're still in need of something other than Distant Stars check out the Ascension Pack. It's one of those discounted complete-a-collection offers that should give you a bit of an extra discount on top of just the base sale prices.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6186/Stellaris_Ascension_Pack/

Anno
May 10, 2017

Taear posted:

I wish every game worked like Stellaris, where the developers are constantly updating and giving you information about what's happening.
I feel like modern paradox (and Obsidian too, don't get me wrong, other companies do it) have spoiled other games for me because they actually talk and update us.

Same here. Those same two companies, in fact. I’m sure that’s one of the reasons that probably two thirds of my gaming time the last few years has been spent playing their games. Helps that the game director for both Stellaris and Deadfire are willing to be active parts of the community here.

Actually kind of on that note, if any of the Paradox folks are around, I’m curious kind of how the team is broken up. Or is that a fluid thing? I was surprised to see something like yesterday’s patch drop at the same time this crazy overhaul is also in design. Is there some small part of the team that handles ongoing updates?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Weird, that balance stuff wasn’t in the patch notes yesterday. I wonder what that even means. Do corvettes now have the lowest chance to disengage? Or just a lower enough chance that they’re the least survivable overall?

The change below that seems like it could be pretty impactful as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

SniperWoreConverse posted:

poo poo I can't find the post I wanted to reply to now, but some goon said instead of a planet screen there should be a system screen, and you could build system buildings instead of stations

I could see this working out really well, and strongly support this, except it basically torpedoes all the construction ships, but more importantly it may threaten Sexy Planets DLC and I can't abide that

I’ve been a bit sick and more than a bit bored so I’ve been reading back through the previous Stellaris thread, and Wiz just shot down the suggestion in that timeline: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806554&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=128#post470628497