Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
War goals still unclear - if i join a war with an AI against some other AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
Are there downsides to having massive amounts of territory? i usually turn down the amount of AI empires, and turn up the amount of advanced AI starts, but i havent gottent to endgame with the most recent updates.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
anyone have a good list of mid and end game cirisis? im wondering what i have experienced what i havent seen yet.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
Can you research Mega Structures? or is it only available after you pick the Master Builder ascension perk?

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
I just got the Brain Slug (Goa'uld?) event, and it seems too good to be true... 10% to Research, 15% to Survey, & 15% to Anomaly...

As with most of the events in this game I find my self asking, when is the other shoe going to drop?

Is there a downside to my cute little pals the Brain Slugs? or am I looking a gift horse straight in the mouth?

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
so no one has had the Brain Slugs go bad?

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
by the time im building gateway networks, minerals arnt really a problem, im usually making 1-3k a tick

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

Kaal posted:

FTL inhibitors do a better job of defending territory than all the defense platforms in the world. Whether or not the game needs another reason to drag out the endgame is another matter entirely.

is there a way to get past the FTL inhibitors? or do i literally have to go around them?

i was hoping i could time them out, like wait a year or so in a system, and be able to go to the next system, but it doesnt seem to work that way for me.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
do habitats count as worlds when turning a FTL Inhibitor off so i can proceed

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

binge crotching posted:

You only need 2 for megastructures, since habitats aren't really worth it with the huge influence cost.

habitats are totally worth it imo. free 18 slot planets - yes please. the influence needs spending towards late game anways. Editcs only take so much.

L Clusters - first time ive gotten to them since the release. What happens if someone opens it first?

CoolHandMat fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 2, 2018

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
i made the mistake of killing an ether drake with one of my elderly admirals. the drake killer buff was gone in like two years.

is it possible to send multiple fleets to kill the drake and get the buff on several admirals?

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

Can anyone recommend some books that have a similar feel to Stellaris's world? Like, the general themes of "cyclical decay of galactic civilizations", the cosmic horror themes found in the End of the Cycle, the Horizon Signal, some of the spooky space-opera stuff like the Shroud and Unbidden. I've read Dan Simmons's Hyperion series, and Asimov's Foundation.

Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov - def has the feel of a galaxy spaning empire, and years of evolution of that empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
sorry i cant read good

the Star Carrier series is pretty cool if you like war themed background. More realistic space battles and aliens then most books.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
im in my third game hitting the 2400 mark and these enemy fleets are getting in the 100k+ range. im thinking its time to get better at the makeup of my fleets. Are there any guides to using the ship fleet builder? im not really finding it easy to use, and all of these auto upgrade boxes / failure to upgrages are starting to become a pain.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
if you Neutron Sweep a planet, can you terraform it back to habitable?

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

AG3 posted:

Pacifism should be renamed Passive-Agressivism since the point of it seems to be to build up your military by cheesing mineral income, then insulting and goading the enemy into attacking you so you can steal all their territory.

is that the way to handle it if your headed in the Pacifism and Spiritualists route? Just goad the aliens into attacking you?

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
i would like to be able to make Bubbles some friends. and to actually put Bubbles in the god dam fleet

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
is there a way to see what claims are on a system i just conquered? One of my allies is complaining that he has claims on some of the systems i just conquered, but i cant tell which systems they are.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
as a Fanatic Spiritualist Militarist, shouldnt i be able to expel/purge the pops i conquer? the policy for Purge is set to Displacement Only, but the purge button is grayed out when i look at the newly conquered pops.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
i knew i was missing something. thanks!

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

Strobe posted:

I promoted one of my factions (65% base happiness, resulting in pops with ~90% happiness, it was great). I check back a few months later and all the factions are gone. :(

EDIT: all annoyance suddenly evaporated because the Vechtar Zavonia event generated the system literally adjacent to my Life-Seeded homeworld at the end of a spiral arm. Perfect placement.

what happens when you promote a faction? if you have 4-5 factions, with population pretty much evenly split, what will happen when i pick one, wont it just piss the rest of them off?

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
Can you get multiple Shroud benefits?

is there ever a time that you would want to trigger the End of Cycle event thing

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

RedSnapper posted:

The native populations of the two new planets were genemodded into all-negative traits and expelled.

Which reminds me: what set of red traits would have the best (worst) impact on the egalitarian, xenophile rabble that'd take them in? Currently I'm using solitary, weak, deviant, wasteful, and quarrelsome, but I suppose, I'd get better results if I added fast breeders somewhere into the mix..

this is the best idea ive heard in weeks. cant wait to start loving with the pops before i release them on the galaxy

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
i still struggle with building better fleets. as it stands now even if i micromanage and specialize the fleet, it seems to come down to my total fleet power vs theirs.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
maybe i mised this in earlier posts, but are the Discovery traditions still the best ones to max first? i've tried Exploration but i feel like my research got behind a bit.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
specializing the colonies is the way to go now then? and max out pop growth

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

Dirk the Average posted:

Would it be possible to add an option in the planet outline to build a district or building without pulling up the planet screen?

I'd also love to be able to designate planet types in a way that I would be able to know at a glance what building or district I planned to build there ten minutes ago when I last looked at it.

i tend to do this by naming planets - creating standard prefex or titles to the planets.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
i just saw a Militant Iso fallen empire wipe out the Marauders - two 75k fleets just killed them all at 2338 lol

first time ive ever seen that. any idea why they would have done that?

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
is there a way to force all of the custom built empires to spawn in new games? ive seen it happen once or twice, but i'd like to see it more. is there a mod for this?

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

Hryme posted:

Started my first real game after Le Guin yesterday. After 75 years everyone else is inferior or pathetic except the fallen empires. I assume the AI still needs work as I am no tactical mastermind?

make sure to turn OFF the scaling difficulty.

when scaling difficulty is OFF thats the only time that the AI seems to be able to keep up, and buildy healthy empires

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

Vengarr posted:

Precursors are not, actually. My last game I got screwed out of finding Cybrex Alpha because another empire had beaten me to it.

are the Precursor events only one per entire game? ive never done a full multiplayer game, but ive played with 3-4 ppl at a time, and it always seems like we each get our own Precursor event.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
Ship Designs.

This rabbit hole is really sucking me in, but its still unclear as to if I am building a winning combo, or if it's still down to numbers.

Other than torpedo 80%, PD 20% what do you guys run in your manually made Ship Designs?

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
What are good bench marks to shoot for?

By year 2275 I tend to see my Research around 1k and my unity in the 500-800 range.

Its pretty random as to if this is enough to stay alive on commodore and higher. Feels like it depends on if I get a driven exterminator to spawn right next to me and or if the Kahn spawns near by.

By end game I'm typically I'm a comfortable lead position that 5x crisis is relatively easy to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

My solution is getting bored by 2350. I haven’t fought a crisis since 2018

if your mid game crisis isnt set to start at 2275 - you're playing easy mode