Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've new to the game and have been just replaying the early game to get used to the basics. The current game I chose determined exterminator to focus on combat rather than politics. The first war I started was a steamroll. I wiped out the opponents fleets but couldn't figure out what to do with the planets. I resorted to orbital bombardment to purge the whole planet but I only finished one world before war exhaustion forced peace, and now this empire is reduced to a few isolated systems that are making deals with the other major power. Is there a more efficient way to go about capturing/purging planets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
yeah they definitely changed it from a quick way to move around the galaxy to a years-long expedition to survey that last corner you can't get to.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Is there a reason raiding bombardment might not abduct pops? I'm playing the xenophobe/pacifist/spiritualist life-seeded build and despite hitting 100% devastation on ALL the enemies worlds I never stole any peeps.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

PittTheElder posted:

Are all species present marked as Undesirable? I think that stops them from getting abducted.

Probably, that sucks (for me)

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I wanted to see how fast I could increase my pops. When you've only got one (Gaia) world the answer is WAY TOO FAST.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Probably. I'm only ok at the game, but I think life-seeded and nihilistic acquisition is maybe just not a very useful combination.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Quite the opposite, as long as you can use them to settle other worlds.

I guess that was my mistake. I was fooling around with a tall play and hadn't colonized any other planets so my one world started filling with unhappy, unemployable (until demoted,) pops every month. The pop growth was impressive though.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I feel like the new system makes it much harder for me to settle into a solid, dominantly growing economy. I feel like I'm always juggling something. That does make it feel to me like more micromanaging, but at least it feels a bit more mentally involved. By the time it becomes annoying to me I've usually reached a point where I'm content to declare myself the winner anyway.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Potato Salad posted:

In the energy deficit, do you build labs, fortresses, etc as normal?

I'd like to know a little more about this too. I like the play styles that allow me to isolate and ignore one or more commodities. Google isn't providing much beyond people complaining about their energy deficits.

To the person asking how to play the game: watching YouTube lets-plays helped me a ton with learning. Users Aspec, Stefan Annon and Lathland in particular were useful in learning how to play the different styles of empires.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Does technocracy require fanatical materialist now? I thought it could be taken with regular materialist.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Where do I view how many minor artifacts I have? I don't see it on the strategic resources/research/unity tabs.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Can you post a single corvette near the L gate so incoming enemy fleets have to engage it, then drop one or two more vettes spaced to draw the enemy fleets into range of the egress station?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Deuce posted:

Didn't know that! But wouldn't that take like a decade if it's going clear across the galaxy?

I didn't know about this trick either, but I bet you can always minimize the travel time by setting all the ships' home base to the nearest one before the emergency FTL (something I ALWAYS forget to do.)

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
So are Brain Slugs a hard no now? The pop growth malus seemed acceptable but having the slug phobia on several planets for eternity is really making it hard to see the upside. Is this due to the xenophobe trait and/or is there a way to minimize it?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

PittTheElder posted:

That's Tiny Outlier (but without Tiny Fleets)

Is it Outlier or Outliner? I always thought outlier but low and behold those screenshots say Outliner at the top of the outlier.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Ugh I am having the toughest time with devouring swarm on GA. I usually try to tech rush rather than alloys, and try to rely on hangar-bastions to keep the enemies at bay. I usually win my first war, whether I start it or not, but whatever empire is waiting behind them war-decs me soon after and although I can hold my own for a while I eventually lose fleet power to attrition faster than the AI, and once I start losing stations it's all over. I usually rage quit when I start losing the war because it sure looks to me like they're going to steamroll the rest of my empire and at best I'll manage to force a white peace leaving me much less powerful and them much more and that's no fun. It sucks too because I feel like the last two games have been really good starts but I just can't manage to keep up with the AI economy and fleets.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Kaal posted:

I've tried a bunch of different methods and basically come to the conclusion that on GA the various genocidal empires are simply more difficult. Either you need to thumb the scales in your start settings, or you need to trade everything you possibly can for alloys / energy and then hope that you're able to consume a neighbor and get through the first 50 years or so without attracting undue attention.

There isn't a real trick to it - how many planets you have access to, what chokepoints exist, how many neighbors you have, and what their civics are will all have a much bigger impact than any efficiency tips. Make sure to get out at least four or five surveyors so that you can get a good idea of your surroundings so that you can make intelligent decisions - but it is very possible for GA genocidal starts on default settings to be untenable.

Other ideas include: Focus your combat technologies on energy weapons and ship size, invest in the short-term rather than long-term, maintain your fleet numbers to intimidate potential enemies, halt attacks when you've fatally weakened an enemy rather than killing them off and opening up a new front, recognize the limits of how far you can expand, and use the Rapid Deployment war doctrine unless absolutely forced to use No Retreat.

Thanks, the last paragraph looks like especially useful advice. Pre-2.6ish? I always used Rapid Deployment, after I for some reason switched to No Retreat, I'll give that a shot. I haven't played much since 3.0 so I'm still trying to get a hang of the current meta-strategies. I've always used all-corvette fleets until I can build battleships, then it's either all-vettes, or all-BB fleets. I always thought the cost/effectiveness was not worth it for the other two ships. Should I bet building destroyers and cruisers as they become available? Also, with the current pop growth mechanics I don't know how all-important pops are atm. Should I be colonizing every planet that's 60+ habitability? My loathing for planet management leads me to stick with fewer, high hab planets instead of colonizing everything in sight. With that said, if I do colonize low-hab planets, do I fully develop them or just use them as pop generators to be resettled on more useful planets?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

yikes! posted:

Strike craft cruisers are a huge powerspike that you can easily get 30-40 years in if you beeline for it. I generally try to skip destroyers unless I'm getting really unlucky with my tech rolls.

Somehow I've completely forgotten about carrier cruisers since the strike craft buff, I'll for sure give those a try.

As for micromanagement of planets; I enjoy it when dealing with a dozen or fewer, especially with the instant demotion ability of the hive minds. But once I start feeling like I'm spending most of my time chasing unemployment/homeless pop warnings in the outlier it starts to become a drag. I bet the final 1/4 of my game-years take longer real-time than the first 3/4, because I'm constantly pausing to deal with planet stuff. The alternatives are to either 1: schedule a bunch of planetary building ahead of time, which obviously is not super efficient for the economy, or 2: split them off to sectors, which crashed my economy last time I tried. With non total-war empires I'll split off vassals to deal with it but even that feels less efficient (but more fun) than manually managing 2 dozen or more planets.

I know this has been a pretty much constant complaint of stellaris, and 4x's in general. It's not exactly unfun for me, but I am always looking for ways to avoid the slowdown I always experience as the game proceeds.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Agreed. My last unmodded game was devouring swarm on GA and I was the only empire left when the crisis showed up. I installed Starnet/startech and lost my next GA game brutally quickly, then same with Admiral. Next level down I made it a little further but still lost decisively. I'm now all the way down to ensign I think? and I might at least make it to the endgame this time.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
The Science Ship trick also works with the Rubricator, as I found out in my latest game. It won't destroy the system, but it'll destroy everything non-planetary in the system.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
i wish there was a button that said "switch these two scientists" instead of "take this scientist, leave his ship and the other scientist idle please"

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
They either messed with the time ships go missing or there's a bug. In my latest game, when a science ship or reinforcement corvette gets emergency FTLed, they stay missing for a LONG time. Like up to 10 years to traverse 5% of the galaxy.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah my last couple games the AI popped the cluster probably 25+ years before I would have gotten around to it.

Just had to Status Quo a war I was easily winning when a neutral empire decided to close their borders for a month while 2/3 of my fleets were traversing them, sending the ships off into the ether for seven loving years. I'll have a whole new bigger fleet built by the time they return. I don't play MP but this feels like it could be used for a devastating betrayal against a soon-to-be-conquered neighbor.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I’d rather they get that trait right off the bat vs when they’re level 5+ and I have to decide whether to swap in a newbie or just accept what I’ve got.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Back Hack posted:

Can confirm, merchant meta is strong as gently caress.

Can this be pulled off without the Megacorps DLC?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

AtomikKrab posted:

So I am trying to do the clone soldier origin,

Whats my route, what do I want to do in regards to tech/ ascension perks here?

I did a tech rush build with that origin and snowballed hard. Against GA, non-scaling AI I was fighting battleships against destroyers. I think it was fanatic materialist and militarist, technocracy and functional architecture. First building was a research lab and from then on anytime I thought there was a chance I could afford it I’d plop down another one. The only resources I pursued were minerals to fund the development , and energy to purchase everything else. The first couple decades are pretty lean, using monthly trades to barely keep the economy afloat, but by the time you hit ~60 pops you’re off to the races. Get an early defensive pact going, or at least nonaggression pacts with your neighbors and you’re set. I went clone-ascendant as soon as possible, and by the time you start creeping up on 100 clones you’ll be deciding which ascension to take and what to do with all the other pops you’ve recently/are about to conquer.

Downside to clone origin is all the ascensions are kind of a downgrade or at least a side-grade for your main species, but soon after you pick one your empire will probably be mostly other species.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Oh yeah and don’t be afraid to disable one of your clone vats if the population growth overwhelms you. The clones will start purging but it takes a while and as long as you re-enable the vats before a pop dies you’re good.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I did robits in one game and genetics in the second. In both cases I only did the first stage of the ascension and applied it to the secondary species, because the second stage will remove the clone soldier modifier. Both worked fine, but it’s hard (for me) to pick an ascension knowing I’ll leave some of it on the table. I think you could just go with the second ascension and do even better actually, but then you just turn into a normal empire that snowballed early, which also feels a bit non-roleplayey to me.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
What do you all find yourselves taking for 6th, 7th & 8th ascension perks? I find that almost every game is the 10% research perk, 2 ascension path picks, one world-shaper perk and maybe colossus all in some order, and then the rest all kind of seem like different flavors of "meh". By that point in the game I don't really NEED anything, exceptaybe the end crisis damage boost. Most games I finish with at least 2 perks unpicked because I can't decide what is even useful at that point.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Best use for an early primitive world if you're running clone army origin with militarist and fanatical materialist? I wasn't sure if outright invasion was the wisest path to go since I didn't have any more ancient clone vats to build on their planet. I ended up uplifting then integrating them, which took too long to be really useful.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I guess in hindsight that's the obvious choice. I just have an aversion I guess to polluting my beautiful gene pool with grody primitives.

The missing fleet thing is my biggest annoyance with the game right now. Especially since it seems to affect the fleet reinforcement function as well. Super frustrating to hit the reinforce button and not realize I just committed all my alloys to a half-fleet that I won't see for eight years. And when they DO finally show up they'll be 2 generations behind the current tech, and of course the original fleet has hosed off to the next war so I end up with a nonstop drizzle of unorganized rustbuckets clogging up my fleet outliner.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I'm suspecting that they at some point changed the code so fleet reinforcement causes all the new ships to use ftl to get to their fleets. Hence the crazy ETAs and them not showingon the map.

Better for now to just manually queue a bunch of reinforcement ships as needed, manually merge them where needed, and write the fleet manager off entirely unless you're refitting.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I think the easiest solution for now is to just pump out a continuous stream of your most advanced ships and merge them with fleets as needed.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Pretty much. The weak get chewed up and eventually everything becomes neutron battleships until the crisis shows up.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
This is it, a preview of Stellaris' final build. There's not even a game anymore, just a spreadsheet you plug numbers into to figure out which empire would have won anyways.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Maybe a minor, minor improvement. The alloy cost and travel time of the science ship is pretty trivial next to the cost of committing a high level scientist for an extended period

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Captain Invictus posted:

yes you can integrate after 10 years post-vassalization. it takes a huge amount of influence and will cost you said influence over a specified period of time. I kinda wish if you had the influence on hand, you could just go BOOP DONE and integrate them immediately, since that huge influence amount is supposed to represent, well, influential power for political use.

vassalization is intended to be an all-or-nothing thing, and so you will have to conquer almost the entirety of their empire, both planets and systems, to accomplish it. if they don't want to be vassalized, you're going to have to conquer the whole drat thing to make it happen anyways. you could also try to butter them up to the point where they'd accept vassalization happily, but that can be extremely difficult or impossible depending on the empire type.

winning wars is generally a slow, methodical thing unless you've got multiple fleets and an army fleet like 4k strong that you can just steamroll over everything from multiple directions. honestly my least favorite part of wars is getting all those lovely tier 2 starbases that nuke your starbase cap and suddenly you're making -12000 energy a month until you dismantle them all

If you white peace a vassalization war doesn’t it turn whatever territory you’ve captured (assuming there’s a captured planet in there somewhere) into a new vassalized empire? Or am I thinking of ideology wars?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I feel a weird moral superiority when I trick an ai into dooming themselves by foolishly declaring because it thinks my economy has crashed or all my ships’ weapons have been disassembled. Declaring war myself seems kinda dickish I dunno.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

ulmont posted:

4. If you have an unemployed worker pop, which is the default strata, build something to produce what you need the most. You need alloys the most.

To this end, don't be afraid to run small deficits in basic resources in the early game, using monthly (not one-time) market trades to keep yourself afloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
The expansion planner menu always felt like it was supposed to be very useful but all I've ever used it for is what you're talking about, finding terraformable planets late midgame.