Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Communist Bear posted:

There isn't really a point in me starting a new game, is there? Because in 8 days everything changes...again!

Is there a single place where the changes are listed? I haven't fully figured out the current version of the game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aethernet posted:

Thank you for your unconforming confirmation. The choral pieces in Stellaris are especially amazing.

Can it play only Terminator music if you're the killbots?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Added Shared Burden civic for all your luxury space communism needs, with a new prescripted empire using it, the Kilik Cooperative

:nice:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Someone is totally buying this expansion because they want to have their aliens species bang other aliens and do weird eugenics (so macro CK2 in space lol).

https://www.pcgamer.com/meet-the-modders-determined-to-add-nudity-to-the-least-likely-games/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Torrannor posted:

Most government policy slots are equally boring. Cool stuff like Life Seeded is so much better than -10% build cost.

Post-Apocalyptic should really require that you only settle on tomb worlds. Or they gradually get that way once you land there.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
This might be a dumb question, but I've only been playing this about a month now.

Can you have robots without being a robo-hive mind? I want a society of individually-minded robots.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but it's an ascension path, you have to get there by starting out as an organic species and uplifting yourself into robo bodies.

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah basic robot workers are a pretty early Engineering tech for normal empires, and there are more techs that upgrade them to be more effective droids and finally fully sapient synths.

Oh, thanks. Hadn't been thinking that way -- I was trying to start with a machine-based species, instead of trying to get there in the game. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nalesh posted:

This needs to be a midgame crisis, now.

Yes, a :airquote:crisis:airquote:.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I zoom in and watch because I paid for those space ships dammit!

They do look awfully cool when you get all close-in.

But then some unrelated alert message will pop up, and I have to go deal with something else. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pokie posted:

So I am playing my one and only post apoc, pre-le guin game. Pacifist egalitarians attacked me due to my evil authoritarian ways and nearly kicked my butt in - their 2 doom stacks were 4 times larger than my single one.

Anyway I beat them back, but had toruble vassalizing them in a future war - their relative power level rose to equivalent. The game told me my casus belli was no longer valid. My fleets were stuck inside the enemy space and not allowed to move :C. What gives?

Also, for mid late game, what's good fleet composition? Are corvettes still worth building when I can pop out a battleship every few months?

I have decided the correct fleet has 16 corvettes, 8 destroyers, 4 cruisers, 2 battleships, and 1 titan. :spergin:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I will go massively over cap and there's nothing any of you or your colors can do to stop me

Is there a cap for the number of systems you have starbases in? :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Staltran posted:

Yes there's a hard cap, it's the number of systems in the galaxy

(also a soft cap where you get 25% increased maintenance for starbases if you have more upgraded starbases than the cap)

Whew. I was just worried that getting too big in terms of territory was getting me in trouble. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Baronjutter posted:

Guy keeps complaining about how it's so lovely that we the player need to fix these things by hand and paradox should fix them and not just tell us to "find a mod"
Darkrenown again very clearly and politely explains that he did actually fix the problem, it's fixed, it was an easy fix and it's actually fixed now.
Guy keeps passive aggressively commenting that he hopes every other player finds the bug as easy to fix as it was for Darkrenown, as if all this time Darkrenown had only fixed the bug for his personal copy of the game??

I can imagine how years of dealing with interactions like this can make any dev a bit snappy and quick to assume anyone complaining about something is an idiot :(

I don't follow these things too closely, but this sounds like every game forum about every game. (Present company excluded, of course.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Preston Waters posted:

What are the proper names for colonies after "Prime?" I know Secundus, but what after that?

Why isn't it "Primus"?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I need to find out how to turn the tutorial back on. It's a safe bet I'm going to need it real bad. :D

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Staltran posted:

Oh hey, according to the wiki the synths tech has no requirement for AI to be legal. So if you have outlawed AI and have a bunch of droids, and then decide to research synths to get rid of the tech card cluttering your deck... you upgrade every droid to synths, then dismantle them all because they're illegal? And can't build any more droids ever again?

It would be nice if there were some sorting abilities for tech cards. Maybe I want them sorted so the cheapest ones are at the top. Or maybe there's a tech I never want to research, and I want it at the bottom, or not showing up at all.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Staltran posted:

Isn't the whole point of the tech deck to not give the player that kind of control?

I don't think so. You get a random selection of techs you can work on. I'm not looking for a change in that, just the ability to filter and/or sort the selection you're given to work with.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

turn off the TV posted:

I will continue to state that playing as a robotic spiritualist empire that abducts psychic pops to use as space peyote would own very hard.

If this is not in tomorrow's release, it means Paradox hates us and is actively working to make us suffer.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nickiepoo posted:

Your sapient toilet likes to eat poo.

Don't kinkshame.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crazycryodude posted:

Mark me down for "uplifting horses to ask for consent is woke as gently caress"

Apparently I missed some really good posts. :sigh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Monkey posted:

It definitely gais something by being part of a list.

Stellaris: 1. Uplifting a horse to ask for consent is woke as gently caress...

Is a good title.

:agreed:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zurai posted:

None of the special worlds have "not a ringworld" as the requirement, but given that ringworlds already have their own unique districts I doubt you can use a ringworld (or hive world, machine world, or ecumenopolis) as a thrall/resort/penal world.

Who doesn't want to take a vacation on a planet-sized machine hive?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, everything is collapsing for me and I literally have no understanding why. I've been doing my best to try to only build buildings and districts when I'm about to spring unemployed population for them, then suddenly out of nowhere I'm at -30 energy a month and I run out of everything because also my mineral production dropped from 40 a month to 12 and I have no loving clue why.

I am so glad somebody else is having this problem. :3:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The biggest change I've found so far is when you see a building is ready for an upgrade do not just randomly mash the upgrade arrow.

It's like you're telling me not to breathe.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

yorkinshire posted:

FYI for people having problems with the UI being tiny, you can scale it in the options. I have it at 1.2 and it's much easier to read. I haven't noticed any text overlap so far or other wierd issues that come with paradox UI scaling yet.

:tipshat: I was wondering if there were a way to do this. :corsair:

How do you do it?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I found a workaround for not getting my brain melted by the "trade" icons and what to do with them. Machine Intelligence (no trade icons at all) :awesomelon:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Splicer posted:

Stop building unity buildings and frontier clinics as your first buildings on all your new colonies, he said to himself.

If you're a bunch of robots, you should build robot factories first on all your planets instead of network nodes. :downs:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Guilliman posted:

So I'm horribly annoyed with how the UI breaks up bonuses because of it's limited width. I decided to see if you can edit it easily. I set the max width for the tooltip gui to 600 (from 400).

Before:

After:

This is a huge improvement. It would be even better if the numbers lined up like in a table. (All the engineering numbers in the rightmost column, et cetera)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ZypherIM posted:

So I got the dimensional portal: Null void.

Getting +.24 dark matter from my portal researcher (I think it is +.2 and then modified by stuff like stability).
Also got 50% progress of a rare beam tech: Null Void Beam: +400% shield dmg, -75% armor dmg, -75% hull dmg. Its a 2500 cost research, avg dmg slightly higher than other weapons, 90% acc, 60% track

I had problems with deviants on the planet where this happened, but it wasn't until 50 or 75 years later. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ilkhan posted:

If it stays alive for 100 years (iirc) it turns into a 4.5k beast ship, iirc.

It has terrible pathfinding sense, though. I sent it back to my homeworld once and it got itself murdered by gemstone/crystal aliens.

It was so depressing I considered making a mod to eliminate that event from the game entirely.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sloober posted:

well it counts as a warship and not like a science or constructor, so it's not set to evasive and will path through it like your regular fleets will

Oh, didn't realize that. It follows your science ship around for the first few years, so I had assumed it would follow the same rules. :downs:

Still, I don't want to feel all agitated that I might get some poor dumb animal killed. What if raiders show up and start shooting? I had a science ship find a raider system once and get killed before I even got a chance to figure out who it was that killed them and what their language was. Instantly, faster than the Fortress kills people. :ohdear:

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 13, 2018

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Is it a safe rule of thumb to say "unless there's unemployment or crowding, don't build anything on a planet"?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
When you get +33% damage against mining robots or crystal aliens, you'd think that would mean your 1.2k fleet would be able to beat a 1.1k group of crystals. You would be wrong. :saddowns:

Maybe it's because they were all corvettes? I dunno. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sloober posted:

probably, crystals do extra hull damage which is by far the larger number a corvette has, and with 1.2k fleet i assume you're probably only at T2/3 armor/shield which is still a quite small number and their shards also don't do reduced damage to either armor or shields

Side question: I still use the "auto-best" thing for my fleets. Is that bad? Please tell me I don't have to do it manually to be successful.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sloober posted:

it's not ... bad, but it's not good, also the auto-best likes to use ships with hangers and fighters are rear end

crystals for example are 100% hull and no armor/shields, so if you want to wipe them out quickly use stuff with bonus hull damage, like plasma throwers

I would get into customizing mostly because the end game crisis is usually a test of creating an effective fleet for countering the threat

Hoo-boy. Well, I usually quit and start a new game not long after year 2300 (I always have a better/newer idea I want to try out), so I've never actually reached the end-game crises. :downs:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aethernet posted:

gonna make a plantoid hivemind and only eat meat-based pops

They've already got an Audrey II-looking avatar for you.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm just bummed that I've never seen Barad-dur spawn in any of my games. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

turn off the TV posted:

Robots would be much easier to manage if they could immigrate and emigrate.

On the plus side, if you're a machine intelligence, you can casually move unemployed robots to new colonies until they're big enough to make a robot-assembly plant.

(Although now I'm running very low on both cash and minerals... :ohdear:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

jokes posted:

I like gene clinics and clone vats to spur growth. It's not that they are terribly effective, but you don't have other building options to boost growth (except robots I guess).

I just looked up clone vats because I had thought they were only for growing clone armies; I didn't know they had other effects. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
On a medium-sized map, how many systems/planets would you say you need to win, just in general? I do have a precursor ecumenopolis, but I got boxed in pretty early, and once I terraform all the remaining planets, I'll have about a dozen colonies. Empire size currently a touch above 100.