Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Got finished playing a long-rear end game last night with the new update.

Gotta say I find the new expansion very good, I'm not quite certain what all the complaining is about.

My only two gripes are about late game lag and sectors.

Late game lag, I'm guessing is just from the sheer number of pops since I was playing a huge galaxy with the normal amount of planets. Way too much. Took me 4 hours to run through the last 10 years of the game due to the lag.

Regarding sectors, is there a mod or a setting I can change that scales the size of sectors to the map? Dealing with 10 sectors is manageable. Dealing with 100 is not.

Though I am guessing that since my next game is going to be a huge Galaxy on 0.25x habitable planets I won't have to worry too much about the sectors gripe anymore.

Also regarding the discussion of if planet specialization is worth it? Yes, definitely. It's not just about the 5% bonus to whichever resource. It's also about freeing up building space. Rather than building the 10% boosting mines, power plants, and farm buildings on each planet you can build them on fewer. This frees up your other building spots for things like temples and armories.

At the very least an agri-world specialization is worth it. Build a few agri-planets with almost every building slot filled with the bonus 2 farmer buildings and almost never have to worry about food again.

One other thing I would like to see in the next patch would be a way to set priority for jobs without having to close specific jobs. Something like a "fill clerks last" or "fill police first" options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Aethernet posted:

I always build one on my HW or battlethrall world and build all my armies there. War Exhaustion through army loss is quite significant, and a little buff helps conquests go on for longer.

Also:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/1095664448981921792?s=19

I like these little buffs to underused perks. I've never taken One Vision, but it now synergises well with Spiritualism and Authoritarianism, so I well might.

I played a game where I was a Fanatic Spiritualist Megacorp with the spiritualist pops provide extra trade ability. I took that perk to force almost all of my pops to be spiritualist and I set the trade to be .5 energy and .15 (I think?) unity.

I completed all of the unity trees by like 2350 or something close to that.

With that upgrade I wonder if you can get it by 2300.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'd like to see an espionage option that could give a CB to the target country on a third party.

Basically assassinate a leader and pin it on someone else to try and trigger a war. Obviously has a chance of triggering a war with you. They wouldn't have to use the CB if it would be a really stupid war and maybe increase the chance of discovering the truth the higher the relationship between the two targets?

Also a couple new colossus weapons:

Genetic override - Kills all robots, converts population to your main species. Available to xenophobes.

Pacifist Ray - Converts pop to extreme pacifists and ramps up the targets war exhaustion equivalent to whatever that percentage was of their total population. For pacifists or egalitarians.

T-Virus - Planet immediately rebels. Pops become hive-mind devouring swarm.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

luxury handset posted:

part of that awkward dissonance where stellaris wants to encourage role play. there's a lot of suboptimal civics and choices you can make for the sake of playing stellaris not as a game, but as a story generator. and you can't really role play as a powerful pacifist xenophile empire if your only choice to eliminate hatred and warfare fro the galaxy is by conquering and eliminating wayward empires. imagine if starfleet enforced the prime directive at the point of a sword

It would need to come with some actual serious anti-blob and empire size mechanics. Truthfully I always wondered about the fact that your populace can be completely different from your empire ethics and it really doesn't matter.

If sectors kept track of ethics population and had a tendency to try and break free or join neighboring empires if they diverged too strongly then that sort of diplomacy would be really great.

Currently when you colonize or capture a system, you don't really have to ask the question of "Can I keep it?" And the player very much can against most AI opponents, since the only consideration is having a bigger stick than the other guy.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Either:

The Word For Darkrenown is Goodbye

Or

Darkrenown, a Blorg at fifteen.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

OddObserver posted:

From follow up dev responses:

Later we find out that the game does second by second calculations to determine which planet has the best flavor of yogurt weighted by proximity to the star before doing a call on every population to determine their maximum flavor potential thus bringing the game to a quicker grinding halt.

Then it just moves your mining spec-ed pops to the food production planet and calls it a day.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

It has been a while since I’ve gotten excited for a Stellaris expansion.

The mercenary outpost thing got me thinking, why isn’t there an option for a Megacorp (or any government really) to rent out a fleet?

I kinda like the idea of playing a megacorp that just keeps renting out fleets to either side in a war and if they can’t pay their bill at the end of the war? Whelp, maybe it can be paid in planets and systems…

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Gort posted:

Can it be? Could they actually be worth using?

You know in your heart the answer.

No.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Even if they become battleships instead of destroyers they still will be a pain in the rear end to rebuild.

tbh the only way I think to make them better is to put all their stats on the star base itself.

Putting them on the star base certainly would make them less annoying to deal with.

But this is just the old adage “Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of blorg.”

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I suppose but they do have fighters.

The Gigastructures planetary hangars are an interesting take on the issue - just have the starbase build a “real” fleet that can’t jump!

I’m over analyzing since stellaris isn’t a difficult game. But the only realistic use of stations and the stuff gigastructures creates is either as a speedbump or as just a dickwaving gently caress you to the AI who you could stomp anyways.

Don’t get me wrong, speed bumps are important early game. If an AI declares war on you and your fleets take a year to get to them then you need something to slow down their fleets getting inside your systems.

But the ability to concentrate your forces means any fixed fortification can slow down a determined player for only so long and late game become useless when you can simply jump past them.

It’s almost always better to spend the alloys on more ships past your force limit than to spend them on the station fortifications.

It’s like how ground forces are stupid in the game. They can slow down an AI, but a player is going to ignore assaulting planets until they’ve won control of space. Once that’s happened, then armies be damned, its just a matter of time at that point.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 5, 2022

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

This is only sort of true. Once you have FTL Inhibitors a planet with fortresses has to be taken to progress past the system. This breaks down once jump drives come into play, since you can just jump past fortress worlds, but before that it's not hard to make a choke point system with a fortress world that requires 1k+ army power or an extended orbital bombardment to pass.

Yeah fortress worlds I forgot about and are the reason for using ground forces before completely controlling space.

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, somebody hasn’t been introduced to Kaiser Kattail.

Nah, I blew up his moon with my moons.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Download the mod that turns off piracy, because its the stupidest mechanic in any PDX game.

Oh its dumb but this is PDX we’re talking about…. There is no limit to the depths of stupid mechanics.

In EU rebellions can spawn in areas with more forces than have ever lived in the area. And Native Americans can have metropolises larger than Paris or London that move every couple of months.

In CK2, if you wanted to ensure a stable government (for you) then it was best to have your underlings be as idiotic, incapable and inbred as possible.

Stellaris has borders that can close in a moment’s notice causing any ships within to be lost in space for years rather than going to the nearest open border.

Piracy is genius compared to these.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

Apart from the “moving every couple of months” thing this actually happened. Tenochtitlan was a metropolis that was by all indications larger than both Paris and London.

Yeah as Carcer said, that was a reference to the nomadic tribes of North America in EU4. Like a Tenochtitlan on wheels roaming the American Midwest gobbling up herds of buffalo and laying waste to the land before moving on to greener pastures.

Just to be clear: The stupidity isn’t the size of the city. The stupidity is that it’s still nomadic at that scale.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 16, 2022

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Flakey posted:

The adjacent sector is my core sector, Ushakaron is 5 jumps from my home planet.

If you really want it fixed, I think this will work:

Downgrade the Zantos Blackhole Station to nothing (releasing the system) and it should allow the non-core sector to expand into the planet area.

Then you’ll have to rebuild the station to reclaim the system.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Piracy should either be purely abstracted as a malus to trade value, or should be a type of raider and have a "home" system pirate base that generates pirate fleets. Or a base that spawns within your borders and acts like an enclave, that you have to negotiate with.

That would be a much better system, especially if they looped in the new merc system and allowed you to settle that fleet of corvettes on a border system as a pirate merc base which intentionally increases piracy in an area around it.

Also I really wish they would abstract population even more. The population growth in discrete units over time that can either fully work a job or not is really dumb and annoying. Why not have actual number growth and allow jobs to be partially staffed? That way you could have more discreet control over population growth through saying: focus 60% growth on species A and 20% on B and 20% spread amongst the rest. While habitability would simply be a malus for incompatible species.

Essentially they need to use the Victoria method of pop growth and lose this stupid all or nothing approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I almost feel like wiz and co decided that “pops” had to remain for the game to still be stellaris, not stellaris 2.

Or, it was a prototype for Vic3 and lessons were learned.

Yeah, I think this came up before and the response was essentially “We want the game to feel different from the others.”

So, worse than the others is certainly different.