Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This is on sale, worth buying if I was a huge fan of MOO2 and all Civ games? Also enjoyed HOI4, though it was a little micro-management heavy for me, and am considering Europa Universalis IV but it looks like it just has a ton of DLC Paradox style. If I got this one would it be good with just the Utopia and Annihilation DLC as mentioned in the OP? $27 isn't bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Worth getting at the 75% off sale for a civilization fan / master of orion 2 fan? What's recommended to buy?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I keep going back on forth on this game but now that it's on sale I think I may pull the trigger. Paradox games have always seemed a little daunting and complex but I eventually got the hang of the base Hearts of Iron game and Civilization and Master of Orion 1/2 are two of my favorites so it feels up my alley. I think I'll go with it finally - is there a bundle or a specific group of DLC that really enhance the game?

edit: for instance they are advertising this

Buy Stellaris: Starter Pack
Includes 5 items: Stellaris, Stellaris: Utopia, Stellaris: Apocalypse, Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack, Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn Story Pack

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Tried the game and it's super fun! I played for 100 years or so with humans and then realized how to upgrade buildings. I did them all at once not realizing they upped the number of jobs in them so all my miners and farmers ran to become scientists and my economy washed up so I started a new game where I would upgrade properly as galaxy-curious and friendly Geckos I designed. The empire designer is really fun.

In this game a black hole started being all weird about a worm and asking for my scientists so I figured hey a pre-destination paradox never hurt anyone so I sent em in but then the admiral I hired from mercenaries showed up halfway across the galaxy as some future version of himself, my scientists starting trying to alter their own genetics for some weird ascension thing so I had to put an end to that, and then eventually a giant planet-sized worm appeared in my space demanding I submit to him which was not what my friendly space geckos were all about so I said no way and he just starting tearing my poo poo up.

I had a fleet of about 4k strength popping around fighting crystals and pirates but this guy was something like 15k strength. I threw my force at him but he just shrugged it off, though badly wounded, destroying my fleet. But good news! Some of them survived and I regrouped at another starbase while my economy was floundering, managed to repair them, and threw the remainder back at the worm and killed him! drat worm. This broke the predestination paradox so now my empire seems like they're gonna be OK but after throwing multiple scientists into a black hole and half my fleet into a giant worm I got like a small science boost to physics. I was really hoping I'd find my old scientists cryogenically frozen in the Loop Temple but no such luck.

Also ANOTHER one of my scientists tried to become god to a pre-flight race of dudes like come on. Space is hosed up.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

If the worm had just explained itself I’m sure we could have worked it out

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I ran my fleet to one side of my empire for an event and then got an alert that on the far side of my empire an asteroid was going to hit a new colony! I routed my fleet there but had no idea if it would make it in time when all of a sudden I get an alert that the asteroid was destroyed! My first contact, another xenophile race who are my Super Space Friends, sent their fleet over and destroyed it for me!

I can't remember many games with friendly collaborative AI that worked this well, I didn't expect it at all.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

PittTheElder posted:

You never actually need to do anything about the asteroid now, the base outpost design has enough firepower to take it out.

Ah maybe that happened then I thought it was my Space Buddies

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Still getting used to this game! Had one of the mercenaries I hadn't met (due to being boxed behind two unfriendly jerks) unite around the Great Khan and start tearing the poo poo out of one of the previously-mentioned assholes. The problem was upon eviscerating their empire and turning them into a vassal they poked into my buddies next door who I founded a federation with which was NOT cool. I have played a couple dozen hours so I decided to reinforce a good choke point starbase and even built a stronghold on a whim. I sent my fleet through my buddy's space and started rampaging through the Khan's territory when... the Khan himself appeared in my space.

I thought I had good visibility on my empire and nearby but suddenly the "chosen" and another fleet appeared in my territory and while my main fleet could probably handle it they were 7-8 jumps away pushing out of my buddy's territory. Side note - how did this happen? Did my sensor network fail me or can the Khan pull this nonsense?

They pushed right into my empire through what I had lightly fortified early on as a "choke point" but they became my best buds so I only gave it a token reinforcement once the Khan showed up. I quickly ran in and tried to build a planetary shield but it was too late... the Starhold was destroyed and the Khan was bombarding the good citizens of Starvault III, a cross-species haven of research and development :(

They invaded and my fleet was still light years away. The "invasion fleet" I had built taunted me with their ability to jump drive back while my fleet meandered the looooong way around.

Bombardment began. I plaintively watched as my nearby star-bases churned out 1-2k of destroyers and corvettes. All was lost. The Khan invaded Starvault and landed troops on the surface...

Only to find it fortified. The stronghold I had built there and upgraded on a whim I had also upgraded into a fortress. The Khan's troops landed to find an army of five different species, robots, and ascended synthetics entrenched to a degree I didn't know was possible. While my fleet was out gallivanting about the General I had installed on Starvault was apparently studying The Blade. The invading armies slowed, faltered, and then were pushed back. The invasion was finished. In the months this bought suddenly the planetary shield I had panic-bought came online. The Khan, unable to move onward, bombarded the planet, but the shield held. Devastation grew. The armies on the surface dug in. And suddenly just as stability on the planet was cracking my fleet appeared in system and the Khan literally disappeared. (not the event where they retreat I got that later, the entire fleet just disappeared, is that a feature?)

This is what makes a game like this so drat good. I had the Siege of Starvault where my generals and armies became heroes and it wrote this wonderful story that was so compelling. I'm really glad I turned on iron-man because my first instinct was to reload and figure out where this massive fleet came from but I couldn't.

Next time I'm avenging the siege of Starvault and the the Khan won't know what hit them. (but seriously do I need to leave half my fleet behind for teleporting Khan's Chosen?)

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Um is it possible I have TOO MANY populations? I think I got swarmed with refugees from the Khan and now unemployment is rising faster than I can build stuff for them to do. Should I start scrapping my robot plants?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

That's helpful! I think it's mostly the migration treaties + open migration + the massive migration edict + making all my worlds Gaia worlds. I'm playing on low difficulty so my economy is still fine and I passed the galactic law that lets unemployed people move around and now they are all rushing to the ecumonopolis I built on an old precursor planet. Now I'm building towards mega-structures starting with the research hub. I only have a handful of DLC from the starter pack. A few questions I have:

1) Is tech after a certain point all just marginal increases to effectiveness? Not going to complain every 4x has some sort of "future tech" mechanic but just want to make sure I'm not missing things.
2) I went full synthetic for my species after starting materialistic and getting synthetic life. I had tons of other species living in my empire from migration and colonization and my species was low on the list but now they are the vast majority and I think other species have declined. Are other species going full transcendent into my synthetic species? I thought I had to set a species right to get people "assimilated" but maybe that's involuntary vs. voluntary?
3) I've seen truly massive fleets, am I missing a method for getting these? Is it just a much heavier focuses on anchorages vs. trading hubs, lots of strongholds?
4) I'm floating a lot of resources - is my economy just really clicking on a low difficulty after expanding a bunch and conquering much of a purifier empire or am I doing something wrong and not spending enough or overbuilding resource suppliers?
5) Housing is starting to be a real issue on some planets. Is this just solved by re-settling and demolishing old districts and building cities?
6) Once my building slots are full should I start looking at less-efficient buildings like crystal fabricators and replacing them with buildings that provide more job slots?
7) I figure I can look at a threat and customize ships to better approach it but I have zero experience in the fleet designer. Can I get away with using pre-filled ships for endgame?

Such a fun game! I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of it. I've played a sciency diplomatic game and a sciency robot game, figure I should give an authoritarian or spiritualist empire a try.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

OK it looks like my whole fleet is outfitted with lasers and neutron missiles along with disruptors. As far as I can tell Neutron missiles and lasers do less damage to shields and disruptors go right through them... so this means half my weapons are doing less damage to shields while the other half is skipping them right to hull. This seems super inefficient - should I diversify the armaments and get more strike craft and shield-depleting weaponry?

I guess autocomplete isn't great.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yami Fenrir posted:

I usually just go full lasers until I hit Kinetic Artillery all the way down and it works fine

You start with a level of lasers already researched after all, and the amount of ships matters a lot more than the actual damage type does. The only enemies that ever really fully lean one way or the other are Fallen Empires and the various Crises, iirc.

Got it. I got some tech from a dimensional portal that gives me null beams (+400% vs shields) I may layer some of these in to strip shields faster, or maybe just some more kinetic weaponry.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Running into some real performance issues past 2400. Same thing happens on large Civ VI maps with all the processing but I'm on a small galaxy and the game had run like clockwork until now. Are there steps on performance I can take or is my system just in need of an upgrade?

Running with an Intel i5-6600, 8 GB of RAM (move to 16?), 1 TB Samsung SSD, and a Radeon RX 570

edit: two of my federation friends who I've been close with all game had robot uprisings, and my cybernetically ascended species were immediately thrown into war with them. I was hoping I would be able to negotiate a peace and such, and I almost felt like kicking my buddies out of the federation, but it turns out both new empires with puritanical dicks so I just said screw it. Next time if this happens I may just try to side with the robots.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I got wormholed by the great khan from the opposite side of the galaxy and it confused the poo poo out of me because I hadn’t thought about the worm hole into my federation buddy’s space in a century which, in hindsight, was a bit of a strategic blunder.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Shumagorath posted:

All borders should be defended. You never know when your federation buddy will have a rebel state break off or a machine uprising.

Yup! Learned this very much the hard way...

Game slowing to a crawl post 2425... anything I can turn off to optimize it?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Is the new expansion worth it if I don’t really want to be the crisis? I played a while ago and am thinking of kicking up a game tonight. I think I also don’t have the merchants expansion if that’s the one that lets you build ecumonopolis

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Seems p good

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I like factions my empire meets other people and starts to shift its assumptions based on what’s in the universe. The same thing can happen to other species! It feels like a natural part of being in a broader universe and is fun.

Then if I want to I can embrace this amazing diversity ideas or reintroduce people to the proper way of living by force. Keeping a fascist society happy SHOULD be hard if you have political relations with egalitarian empires who keep teaching your people about “rights” and “ethics”

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah that’s a good point. Having a massive xenophile faction should give you a boost during first contact or when you declare war you suddenly get an alloy production boost because your militaristic faction is inspired.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Picked up this game again and everything is weird now! My administrators can’t fix my empire size and now leaders cost unity and I’m just confused as heck!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

That has big “You are being rescued. Do not resist.” Vibes

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

We abducted you from your home welcome to Paradise you are a holographic film director now and you are not allowed to leave

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I haven’t really played much in a while and looks like they changed Admin cap to Empire size - is there any way besides techs and thing like being pacifist to reduce your empire size? I’ve got a good tech run going but I was pretty alone so I’m painting most of this spiral arm and the next.

Also I had four continental worlds spawn right next to my home system - the first 5 years I was selling everything to build colony ships and robot assembly plants (mechanist start) and now I’m worried I snowballed too hard too fast and the rest of the game will be too easy. I’m already close to leader in diplomatic power with I believe the one guy ahead of me being the one “advanced” civ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I wish I could assimilate robot populations into my glorious ascended synthetic form. Instead I wind up buying tons off the slave market and have to be like “congrats to the little rat guys you get to become Ascender you robots have go to the mineral mines and enjoy your “rights””