Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I just took a shot at getting back into Stellaris for the first time after 2.0. I'm having big trouble with my early game mineral production. The 100 mineral cost for the system outpost is killer, but it seems like the AI is able to spam them out pretty quickly, and also seems to have richer systems?

Maybe I'm confused by the difficulty levels and the AI is getting some kind of boost? I'm playing on Commodore, which I was assuming was the "normal" difficulty based on that it's the middle setting of 5 levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

After playing exclusively Ironman for the last few patches, I still don't have any achievements...is this a known bug or what? Not using any mods, logged into my Paradox account, and the game always says "This is eligible for achievements" when staring a new game.

I really don't care that much about achievements, so I haven't really worried about it. But they're still fun, so if there's a fix I might be interested.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 11, 2018

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

DoubleNegative posted:

If you make a vanilla game too easy on yourself, the game won't let you get achievements. For instance if Crisis Strength or Tech Costs are below, I want to say 0.75x. So check your game settings and make sure something isn't set too be too easy.

I generally play default settings, with the only tweaks being randomized empire locations and numbers, and a slightly longer timeline. Still says "eligible for achievements", so I'm guessing it's not the difficulty, and is some kind of bug.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

imho change the way that stars are named so that unsurveyed systems are given universal, generic names like LV-428 and once surveyed by an empire they're given a name based on the surveying empire's chosen namelist. Have the names of systems change according to the owner, so conquering a bunch of fungoid stars with names like Ssqijsadlf'mvxrk as avians will change the star names to things like Mega Space Roost. I guess xenophiles wouldn't do that.

Anyways, that would be cool thanks.

I like this idea but for simplicity and coherence, keep the current star namelist but just have it "revealed" upon survey. Having stars switch names based on owner sounds like a confusing nightmare, especially with the funky non-human names.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

Are the regular star names any less weird nonsense?

I mean, Covefe is ridiculous but at least it's more recognizable compared to the other star names than Bllrg'fuffle vs. Grrg'fuffle or whatever. At least most of the stars names are at least from a human language rather than some gobbledygook.

The other issue was the name changes per empire. Bllrg'fuffle could change to Roost of Redbeak to Beetlejuice or whatever. Keep them static. Having them change would be needlessly confusing. The Anglosphere didn't refer to Germany as Deutschland before they were defeated in WWII, they just always called it Germany.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Pacho posted:

The problem with having synths and droids at the same time is that is a metagame solution to a problem we are only aware because we are players. Improving only the most pampered computers in the nicest places in case they become self-aware doesn't make sense in-game because you want to make sure the AI running the gigantic mines is using the latest software update. IRL we deal with legacy computer systems because of logistics, not because we are afraid they'll turn rogue on us.

IRL we actually don't have sapient AI, and the thought of such AI going rouge on us is a major staple of science fiction, and there are many prominent computer researchers who are legitimately concerned about it. It's not because of "logistics".

There area bunch of things that could be done to push the player in the direction of "spreading" AI sapience. Sort of like the materialist/scientist faction "synth envy":
-Unhappy pops if you don't have enough syths and are materialist.
-Existing Synths or rough managers surreptitiously upgrading existing droids.
-General economic incentives.
-Militarist incentives

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Re: Trade networks, remember that it's possible to reroute the trade paths from your collector stations. You can therefore make a pretty simple "main route" that you can easily patrol/protect with little effort.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

GamingHyena posted:

What's the preferred tradition order now? In recent games I always beeline Expansion -> Prosperity -> Supremacy. Then, usually Harmony for the food consumption and Domination/Diplomacy depending on the circumstances with Diplomacy usually edging out. Discovery seems so useless that I feel like I must be missing something. Even though Discovery is more research focused now because of the way the bonuses stack it seems much less powerful than it should be.

Discovery as a full branch is kinda weak, but individually some of the bonuses are OK. The problem is they're useful at different points in the game. The survey/anomaly bonuses are great in the immediate opening of the game. The research alternative boost is good in the early mid-game when you start fishing for ascendancy-related techs. The leader level boost and upkeep reductions are good in the late-mid/late game. Unfortunately by that time the finisher effect also kinda sucks.

The thing is, that with the increased survey/anomaly speed, combined with the Map the Stars edict, you can get a pretty decent boost to your research (and resources) from anomaly bonuses. Not to mention, you also get a great head start out of the gate as far as general exploration and expansion planning goes.

What I have don recently, is to build my first building as a unity building (Temple/Autochthon Monument), then take the Discovery opener and To Boldly Go to get the most of the early game bonuses. Then I will fill out Expansion, prioritizing Colonization Fever and A New Life for the pop boosts. After that, I will either go for Supremacy or Prosperity as my second "full" tree depending on the game. After I fill out either of them, I will then pick up the Science Division perk from Discovery, then start on my third tree. After that, it's somewhat situational. I will usually fill out Discovery as my forth or fifth tree as the latter traditions are kinda lame but it will get me Ascension perks faster.

As far as Nutritional Plenitude goes, I actually hold off, and use the early excess food to use the "Encourage Planetary Growth" decision on my homeworld, for an earlier 25% boost. THEN I switch over, and get +35% growth total, earlier than if I had just gone with Nutritional Plenitude. After that boost is over, I'm usually on my way to getting a colony set up and will have boosted food production there to sustain Nutritional Plenitude, as well as boost a second round of encouraged growth on the homeworld.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

ZypherIM posted:

I just want to point out that the discovery openers aren't really doing anything for you. You survey faster and research anomalies faster, but you no longer find *more*. So in essence you're spending 2 tradition picks to get a free science ship, which is a really, really bad trade. If you're not planning your entire setup around early aggression, expansion into reduced starbase cost into pop growth is easily the best option. I'm still in favor of finishing out the tree (admin cap will be coming in useful soon for a lot of empires, starbase upkeep isn't a big deal but the first perk is pretty good).

I kinda get this, but with the Map the Stars edict, you do get more anomalies, and the faster I can make use of that anomaly discovery boost, the more I'll discover, and the more bonuses I can get. Additionally, saving a science ship also saves leader, and that 200 energy in the beginning helps you clear the Sprawling Slums on your homeworld faster for that free pop. Additionally, at some point, I will fill out Discovery, and by that time the fist few traditions are even more trash than they already are. Might as well make use of them when they are actually marginally beneficial.

I don't really play min-max so I haven't run the numbers to know if I'm totally boning myself with this, or just being a little less efficient for the sake of role play or whatever.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

So I keep hearing that the fleet manager is buggy, and I never experience it, until I get to Titans. Every time I try and add a Titan to a fleet, the whole thing bugs out and becomes un-reinforcable or registers as having ghost ships that make the fleet appear at full strength when it isn't. The only solution seems to be to scrap an entire fleet and start over. Even trying to split it up, the ghost ships still split along with it and gently caress it up.

Is there a fix for this, or are you stuck scrapping the ships? Between the late game slowdown and loss of a huge amount of alloys to rebuild, I usually end up ditching the game and restarting. I really want to finish a game to victory (or hell, even the crisis), but it seems to be like pulling teeth.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Because it's fun to create a utopian society and try to Make Things Better :shobon:

You know the Space Fascists feel the same, just in their own special way. :shobon:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

DasNeonLicht posted:

Is there a good strategy or rule of thumb for fleet composition?

What I generally do, once I get to Cruisers, is to have a couple main anti-fleet armada deathballs. These consist of "light" (broadside/torp sections) and "heavy" (artillery sections) cruisers, with some "light" destroyers (picket ships). The idea is the heavy cruisers blast other capitals, the light cruisers focus on enemy destroyers/corvettes, and the destroyers screen missiles and mop up smaller ships. As the game advances, I usually swap the heavy cruisers for kinetic artillery/neutron launcher battleships.

Then I have a few raider flotillas of maybe 10-15 corvettes (picket & missiles/torps) with a handful of "heavy" destroyers (with a Large weapon). All these designs have afterburners. The idea behind these flotillas is to zip around and clean up all the odd un-upgraded stations or stop the trickle of reinforcement fleets. They can also keep enemy planets in bombardment status, although they don't do a heck of a lot of damage.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

E. Nesbit posted:

I just had an issue with the Tzynn Star Empire where I'd build a slave processing facility on a colony which would then disappear within a month. This happened on multiple colonies, all of which were growing in population. Anyone else have anything like this occur in their games?

There was a bug like this with the Ministry of Culture where it was set as a unique building for the empire, so you'd built multiples and they disappear. Not sure if that's been fixed yet, but this sounds similar.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

ZypherIM posted:

I mean, the real king is fleet power.

Your launcher/lightning/kinetic layout has a couple issues, mainly that you're running 2 weapons that are by-pass and 1 that isn't. By-pass weapons have lower damage in exchange for skipping shields/armor, but if you're chewing through those defenses anyway (your kinetic artillery) then all you've really done is have lower damage output. So go all-in on bypass weaponry if you're using those, otherwise don't use any.

Launchers (At least proton/neutron launchers) don't bypass, they have bonuses to armor and hull damage, so they pair nicely with kinetic artillery's shield bonus. The real issue with them is a long cooldown, so they make great alpha strikes but usually only if you've whittled their shields down.

You're probably confusing them with normal torps, which have 100% shield penetration.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

DasNeonLicht posted:

I feel like the election candidates in democracies need some new mandates. It's not practical to build new orbital mining or research stations when I've already fully developed my systems or build new districts when I've just balanced my employment sitch or if I know I'm just going to demolish them the next term.

Is this a commentary on the wastefulness of democratic politics? In any case, I think I'm getting to the point where I'm not thinking too much about leader bonuses or mandate fulfilment bonuses.

Yeah, at the moment I just role-play it as Space-Trump telling everyone he's going to bring coal mining jobs back or whatever.

That said, they do need a little more variety since that all gets stale before the mid game even starts.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Is there some way to better manage robot assembly so you get a better mix of models, or any way to "refit" models at a more granular level than planet by planet? Basically, it would be great to "order" a certain number of bots to fill an anticipated number of jobs (ie. six mining bots, four farmer bots, etc). Right now I just slapped on some generic improvements (ie. reduced assembly time) and made "multi-bots". However, back when you'd build robot pops individually, I could at least tailor them to my world. Having to keep track of robot production on every planet with constantly growing pops is micro hell. I understand that I can "lock" production to certain models, but if I want to have a couple models, or like one "protocol droid" or whatever, it's so goddamn fiddly. And there's no way to "refit", which makes zero sense, since they're goddamn robots.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

...then maybe have it that it goes Kinetics/Missiles as early game tech gradually towards lasers as endgame tech? Some of this is moddable but I feel like it could be better.

A few months ago I threw out an idea that was something like this here. Unfortunately I am not modder and probably don't have the time to invest in a way where i could actually build it, but the gist of it was this:

You start the game as now, with all the basic weapons and defensive techs. However, you also start with heavier hulls up, through cruisers. However, given how expensive those hulls are, they would probably still be prohibitive for a while. you could also reduce hull points, but buff them over time with tech.

The "Early" game involves lots of missiles and a bit later, strike craft. Kinetics get generally better. Armor is good but expensive. Shields suck. In fact, it would kind of be neat to have the first few shield techs just be like, navigational auxillary shields that increase sublight speed or something. This would be the "Battlestar" era, with lots of strike craft, flak, kinetics, and missiles/torpedoes. Carriers in space and whatnot.

The "Mid" game would kind of be a transition between Star Wars (With basic shields, lasers, advanced strike craft, etc) melding into Star-Trek, with larger, more valuable ships, strong shields, powerful energy weapons, strike craft become largely obsolete, basic kinetics are no longer that effective, etc.

Then there's the end-game with Titans and Collosi and friggin death beams and such. For flavor, it would be neat to make mixed/swarm fleets viable too, if even only to screen your mega ships.

I'd also love to see variety in the weapons, rather than the rock-paper-scissorish thing they have going on now between kinetics, energy, missles, etc.

Even though this is complicated, by creating variety in fleet composition and technology "eras" rather than rock-paper-scissors, this might be easier on the AI. Your ship designs for a certain technology era will be somewhat similar. It could come down to tonnage (which is the case anyway), and maybe some "doctrine" modifiers that promote corvette swarms or the "carrier group" model or whatever. Like, ok the ravenous hive will have swarmy-type fleets, humans have more traditional mixed fleets, etc.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

So I find I'm never building mines and mineral planets are no longer juicy targets. I'm just getting so many resources from space, at least in the early-mid game. I like that to an extent, but it once again just bottlenecks everything to do with your empire behind pop growth.

I've found that as my game rolls on, my formerly inexhaustible mineral surplus tends to dwindle towards the end of the mid game. Once your forge and industrial worlds (or even better, Ecumenoplois) really start pumping out, you'll find you'll need more and more minerals. However, by that point you're not getting anything additional from space mining, so it's either conquer amd explooit or convert over some of those available mining districts.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

On habs vs ecumenopoli, honestly I think that ecumenopoli should be some kind of a tech or one-per-empire pseudo-megastructure. They're just so good and come so much earlier than stuff like ringworlds they're a no-brainer and make taking other Ascension perks unproductive.

Either that, or take out the "mega-engineering" requirement for Galactic Wonders, since by the time you research that, and then actually build the stuff, the game is mostly over.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Hmm, so I took Consecrated Worlds on a whim, and it turns out consecrating two Gaia worlds, size 21 and 23, only gives +8% amenities? That doesn't seem very good.

e: oh I guess it's +22% Unity too which isn't awful but not really useful at this point either.

You can get up to three worlds consecrated, and "normal" worlds aren't too shabby either. Like, +10% amenities and +25-35% unity is pretty great compared to, say, One Vision.

Consecrated Worlds is great if you have low hab planets nearby, or even better, the Spiritualist Fallen Empire holy worlds. It pairs really well with Life Seeded as well. Obviously, taking it later in the game isn't as useful, but it can really boost you out of the gate unity-wise.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

My original plan was to make all the precursors as interesting as the Cybrex, and the First League seemed the logical ones to get a city planet since something similar was mentioned in their lore, but then Ecumenopolis' ended up being rather better than a broken Ringworld and various other tasks took up my time so the others didn't get an update. I would really like to get back to the others at some point though.

This is from a couple pages back, but i had a thought about the problem with the First League chain being so overpowered. Part of the problem is Ecumenopoli being so radically different. However, having radically different planets like that is great, and Id rather see other megastructures buffed rather than cool ones "leveled out".

For the First League specifically, Fen Habbanis is a unique ecumenopolis because it has the "ruined arcologies" blockers. The other thing that makes it unique is that it gives you an ecumenopolis without using an ascension perk, which is huge. Even at 1000 energy a pop, the blockers are only a nuisance past the early game.

The rational and quick solution to this would be to lock the "ruined arcology" blocker clearing tech behind the Arcology Project perk. That way, you only get a gimped (but still quite useful) Fen Habbanis unless you snag the perk.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Staltran posted:

You can take Voidborne first though.

Don't you still need Star Fortress/Battleships/Zero Point Energy? That really makes it impractical as the first pick unless you really delay your perks.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Xerxes17 posted:

I'm currently playing a tall game at grand master, 1.5x crisis strength with life seeded inwards perfection xenobphobe pacifist materialist birds. I thought this was going to go terribly but hot drat.

I have 20 repeatable on my shields now in 2446, which means my titans are rocking 34,920 shields. :staredog:

Is this what true power feels like??

I'm always curious about how to play inward-perfection life-seeded empires. As you're generally limited to the homeworld, should I expand as much as possible with outposts or stay pretty near admin cap and just power turtle until you can get World Shaper or habitats or whatever?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Or even just... like habitats and megastructures and collosi and stuff are gates are all interesting ways to interact with the playing field, but they're all stuffed at the end of the game and terribly balanced and also often really lazily implemented where you just drop a bunch of resources in a pile and then the pile spits out smaller amounts of resources over time.

It's like there's a game, and then there's a bunch of weird poo poo that happens at the end, and they don't really interact with each other much.

I really think that they need to....extend the tech tree or have more stuff like L-Gates or whatever. By the time you get to the mega-structures, collossi, etc. you should be like 75% of the way through the game. Instead it feels like you get them when the game is 90% done and then you run out the clock waiting for the end crisis, which is usually just a bunch of fleet swatting.

Like, as much as Wiz hated victory conditions, maybe there needs to be some kind of end game "ascendancy" goal to work through to do while you wait for (or fight) the crisis.

Maybe something with that big "dead" mystery zone in the center of the galaxy...

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Draw chances being influenced by something under the player's control, like policies or ascension picks, seems like the least code-heavy way to approach this. Just toggle some switch to 'focus on gateways now', giving increased weight to that tech and its prereqs. Or hell, just explicitly highlight the prereqs.

This is somewhat in the game already with scientist specialties. I was waiting forever for Mega-engineering in my last fame until I swapped my genius guy for a voidcraft specialist. It would be nice to be able to spend extra energy or influence or whatever to be able to hire a leader with a specific talent.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

I really wish that robot design was a bit more granular. It'd be great to be able to research synths without actually being forced to build them, or have all your droids suddenly updated to grumbling sapients.

To make it interesting, unwanted synth upgrades could occur unexpectedly like habitat preference self-modification.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

I feel like the ascension paths, at least the initial perks, need to not be gated behind rare techs. Mind-over-matter should have a requirement that the empire be spiritualist OR have psyonic theory. Likewise, The Flesh is Weak should require materialist OR maybe a rare robo tech or something. That way you can still go down those paths regardless of your ethics, but it's easier for empires to take the "natural" path for them.

Otherwise, as others say, you just end up sitting on your perks until you roll the right techs.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

The teaser about being able to set planetary specializations looks cool:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/1121728974693064705?s=21

He warns that the numbers aren't final, and I really hope they aren't- losing the production bonus, small as it was, would be annoying. It should do the new things in addition to the bonus, otherwise getting cool specialization stuff is going to be offset by it being much less meaningful. Especially the building cost and time reduction, bc once you have your buildings in place you'll be getting very little. Orienting an entire planet towards one industry should have greater bonuses.

Honestly, I like the way it is now, where you build what you need and get nice small bonuses. It makes specialization nice but not necessary. I'd be happy if they had non-bonused planet specialization selection for AIs, that way it would reduce some of the micro.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Nosfereefer posted:

I think the chevos are still a bit hosed.

I've played this game since release, 95% of the time with no mods, and not a single achievement has fired for me :(

I play in Ironman and the game tells me achievements should be firing. But they don't, only game I have this problem with.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Regarding AI empire spawns, does force-spawn for custom empires also include Fallen Empires and Marauders and such, or are they always random?

I'd like to have my big old list of custom empires spawn, but having the Fallen Empires spawn as random groups.

Likewise, I'd like to have a couple themed sets (like a MOO II set, a "fantasy" set with dwarves, elves, etc) with a specific set of species. If I have a set of 10 premade empires, and set 9 AI empires to spawn (with me playing the 10th), but also have 2 FEs and 1-2 Marauders, will the FEs always be random, or can one of my custom races spawn as an FE and I'll end up with a rando small empire?

It would be neat to be able to design FEs as "unplayables", but be able to force them to spawn...

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

First bug of the new patch, the Enigmatic Fortress doesn't appear on the galaxy map like the other leviathans and because of this my science ship ai acts like its not there. This means if I keep them on auto explore they will all eventually suicide into it.

Obviously a bug, but you could work around this by just setting the system as forbidden. I usually do this with all Leviathans and sometimes general space monsters so my combat fleets don't, for example, path into the Dimensional Horror and accidentally vaporize themselves.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Goddamn it, I was having fun with a devouring swarm run until my neighbors formed a federation and then dropped 8k fleets on me before i even got to destroyers. I guess you're supposed to go whole hog and build nothing but alloy plants and ignore everything else?

Alloys get you more xenos to eat, why would you build anything else?

Seriously though, for the "bad guy" starts, like Devouring Swarms, Purifiers, Exterminators, etc, you need to go hard aggressive in the beginning. Tech and other fancy things can wait until you eat a neighbor or two and get a good snowball going. A lot of times i don't even bother building too many outposts. Since you don't need claims to take owned systems, you can just let your enemies build them for you, then steal them.

The Galaxy us going to hate you no matter what, and will eventually gang up. So you don't want to dilly dally.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Hate to ask this question as I probably know the answer, but did the recent updates fix the late game slowdown problems? I've never been able to finish a game before it ends up almost being unplayable.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Question about how "force spawn" empires work: I have a group of like 40 empires I made as I got tired of the whole "wacky random empire" deal, and for some reason Paradox won't let me force spawn the empires that come with the game.

So I have a bunch of xenos, but I was wondering about humans. If I were to make five or six Human empires in different ideological flavors, but they all had the Sol home system, would I be able to set them all to force spawn but get a "random" one? I like the idea of maybe getting a human empire but not knowing whether it was a bunch of imperial militarists, religious zealots, xenophiles, etc. At the same time I don't want to end up with multiple Sol systems.

Related question: is there a mod to allow the standard Paradox empires to force spawn?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Did the difficulty get ramped up recently? The last 5-6 games I've played have chronically had AIs with fleet power be superior or overwhelming even if I dedicate myself to constantly being at or above my naval cap and maxing it out. Every game seems to end with an agressive AI stomping me with a fleet twice my size, even though I seem to have more planets/resources, have Supremacy finished, and catch them at a station reinforced choke point.

I'm only on Admiral and I don't remember it being this rough. I'm selling every available resource I have to buy more alloys too. It seems like since they took away rhe Encourage Growth decision, and put Nutritional Plentitude behind a tech, it rskes forever to get my economy going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Aethernet posted:

Abuse envoys to get a sugardaddy. Econ hard while ignoring navy. Get to Battleships and then build navy. This approach made my last GA game a cakewalk, until I discovered that a 5x crisis is quite hard.

I've tried this but my wonderful AI federation partners are content to randomly fly their main fleets back and forth between two random systems in their home territory while the enemy wrecks my poo poo. I might bump back down a difficulty level as I'm not into min-maxing.