Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I really don't understand why outposts should impact unity or research. I can see starbases, sure, but the interstellar equivalent of a flag shouldn't have a negative impact on research or how unified everyone feels. Especially since the outpost is actually increasing coherence when it's between two other systems.

Plus my borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Apparently you can use Armageddon Bombardment to turn a planet into a Tomb World, which you could then inhabit.

Clearly Wiz you need to enable this option on uninhabited planets.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Did they change the Enigmatic Fortress event?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just rolled the "blow the gently caress out of it" die roll last time.

EDIT2: gently caress, it's bugged for me too.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 25, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wait, you can't build a Dyson Sphere around a star system where you have a station?

EDIT: Huh, I guess my Empire can't disassemble a little energy mining station without explicitly being told to do so. Good job guys,

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 25, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone has having a problem with jump drives not working? The ships are still using hyperlanes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Am I missing something, or do I have to take out every loving planet with a FTL inhibitor to move anywhere?

I mean sure, I get having them on stations. But WTF am I supposed to do about ones linked to planets? I HAVE to invade to move on?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, I'm doing a War in Heaven and sure enough the planet I'm invading has several Fortresses and a shield. With absolutely no information about how ground combat works it seems like the whole thing is basically a giant slog that takes forever and makes you miserable. I might just start destroying planets to speed things up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GotLag posted:

Oh god how am I meant to choose between World Cracker or Neutron Sweep?

It's just a starting point; you can research the others later if you want.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I like this change, especially for machine empires.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I hate the jump drive implementation. It forces me to micro-manage something that is essential since movement is so slow. I would rather they have the option to be automatic and have no penalty to speed. Instead I would make the consequence of using them be that your ships can't retreat.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wait, these purging pops aren't providing any energy? WTF?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

puppets freak me out posted:

Because they're so unhappy with being purged that they refuse to work.

How in the ever-loving gently caress did something that fundamental make it through QC?

Also I really wish there was an option to terraform a planet into a Tomb World without requiring any actual terraforming technologies.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Epicurius posted:

Step 1. Make sure it's an enemy planet.
Step 2. Set Orbital Bombardment to Armageddon
Step 3. Wait.

Yeah, the exhaustion thing made that particular option impossible unfortunately.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
When should we see this hot fix, and has anyone heard if it will fix purging pops?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I thought the fix was that you aren't forced to accept surrender and instead you just freeze your unity and influence gains at 100% war exhaustion?

I would love to know how Determined Exterminators, Hive Minds, or Fanatical Purifiers even get war exhaustion. Especially when they're winning. The whole system is a complete mess and seemingly fails to take into account some really basic things like who is winning. Given how long the game has been out I personally find this lack of polish to be really difficult to justify.

It's a shame because the update as a whole is really good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love that unrest still applies to how efficiently you can harvest a pop.

They're not nearly as much of a problem if you ship them off to another planet...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh right, I should've remembered that because I filled up a hab with those and flicked them on/off as needed. Those things own.

How do you flick them on/off? Just moving Pops?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grand Fromage posted:

Mostly whining. There are a fair number of things that need to be patched but with how much of the game was changed in the expansion/2.0 it's not a huge surprise. It's not like it won't be fixed.

Yeah overall the expansion is really, really, really good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

toasterwarrior posted:

I got the hotfix but it's not working. I hope it isn't the increased ship speed mod posted earlier, since that was listed for 2.0 only, but apparently some other people on reddit are still experiencing the purge bug.

Yeah you need to reduce unrest. Drop down some patrol drones and you should be fine.

What fleet power do I need to clear out marauders? I found one close to my Empire and as Driven Exterminators I am driven to exterminate them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gadzuko posted:

Would be nice if there was a solar panel module like starbases had to eliminate maintenance.

That's a real nice changelog though. Thank space Jesus the marauders aren't going to wreck all your poo poo any more. It's worth it just for that.

Yeah, it would be nice to see more options in the module section (or whatever the section where silos and inhibitors are located). Things like silos should be stackable, having some alternative modules, etc.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wish you could disassemble things like the Dreadnought or those shipyard ships to gain new technology.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Taear posted:

The real solution is get rid of them altogether and have all combat in space.

Yup. Having to track an entirely separate fleet is a royal pain in the rear end.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fellblade posted:

This sounds totally great, basically you get to be the fallen empire that collects pops.

I want this so bad right now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wish this game had weapons that were terrible at space combat, but really amazing at orbital bombardment.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

One day ascension perks will be cool and interesting. Until then, +4 starbases.

I feel like they should be far more transformational, and far less commonplace, than they currently are. It should be a huge deal when you pick one. I don't like how many of the perks are really just feats of engineering, or relatively weak bonuses to cap or research.

An ascension perk should be a defining attribute of the species, something that transforms it into something unique. Maybe something so unique that only one species can get each one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Splicer posted:

The base ascensions should be a lot more consolidated and should all have a cool thing. The fleet cap one should give a unique ship. The science ones should mess with scientist traits, or just combine EE and the +10% one. The starbase one should give your bases an extra building slot or whatever.

Voidborne is fine, it's not about building habitats, it's about how your species as a whole is actively enthusiastic with moving en masse to live on tiny artificial planets. World crackers are about how your species is actually OK with committing possibly the worst war crime imaginable... other species could build them, but don't, because what the gently caress is wrong with you. Galactic Wonders require a people that think huge, empire-crippling dickwaving boondoggles are actually a good idea. Those ascensions aren't about whether you can, it's about whether you will.

I kind of like that interpretation, but I think of it from a gameplay perspective. Specifically what ThatBasqueGuy said about "gating all the cool megastructures behind five ascension perks". The whole point of having limited choices is to provide a meaningful consequence that ultimately makes the gameplay more enjoyable. I would argue that the current perk system does that in a relatively uneven fashion. Compare the significant gameplay experience associated with the Transcendence perk with anemic choices like Interstellar Dominion or Technological Ascendancy.

I look at something like Enigmatic Engineering. Right now it's a +2 sensor range bonus and a prohibition on reverse engineering. Imagine instead of it was both of those things, but also made it so that Empires had no way of knowing your technology level, couldn't trade with you, and no way of knowing your fleet strength. Imagine instead if you were the ones in that situation.

Or Galactic Contender. Imagine if, instead of a simple bonus against Awakened Empires, it instead gave you access to unique technology that you previously had to reverse engineer. Maybe with a side effect of having your ship style changed into the Awakened style as you discovered more "Awakened" technologies.

Defender of the Galaxy could be similar; rather than a fixed bonus to endgame empires it gave you access to unique technologies or narrative events that you had to research and develop that would serve as a useful tool against whatever endgame crisis pops up. Maybe when The Unbidden show up another external entity shows up to help you, but only because you've dedicated your entire Empire to protecting the galaxy.

Other perks have limited utility because of how the game itself is currently functioning. A perfect example is Synthetic Age; currently there's no reason to take that perk because by the time it's available you've already gamed the system or run out of traits. Perhaps if Synthetic Age eliminated the limit on how many traits you could take it would be far more useful. Or if the traits were re-done so that there were some traits that cost far more points but had massive benefits.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
On an unrelated note I would really love it if the game did something a bit more intelligent when I have multiple research opportunities from the same tree. For example if I have the 2nd and 3rd options in a kinetic energy tree, I think the game should automatically remove the upper option and instead increase the progress from the lower one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Relevant Tangent posted:

Really what the game needs is the ability to ascend a winning species to FE status for the next game. AI controlled but reflects what you did. If you Ended the Cycle they need to be fanatically opposed to Psychics.

I would love a New Game+ using the same galaxy as before, with my Determined Exterminators slumbering around.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ephemeron posted:

Solution: have it benefit from your Fire Rate bonuses.

Get in a defensive war, go on offense.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So what perks are people considering a priority, especially with the Executive perk down to a 50% duration?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pylons posted:

Engimatic Engineering is basically a must.

Why? Because of the sensor bonus?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Playing Determined Exterminators is really satisfying.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm disappointed that the list of goals doesn't include an emphasis on fixing ground combat.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dongattack posted:

What's wrong with ground combat? Other than it being a single boring buttonpress.

It's a parallel system to space combat that's ultimately superfluous. The amount of effort required to appropriately utilize ground combat is nearly equivalent to space combat, yet the pay-off in terms of gameplay and fun is severely limited. 2.0 (to be clear I love the updated game) took away a lot of the micro-management (particularly with the upgrades to units), but it's still not terribly interesting or exciting. You could replace the entirety of ground combat with a module on a starship and I don't think it would be a bad thing. With the latest changes where bombardment can potentially kill of armies the need is even further reduced; you can wait long enough and then drop a single army and take over an entire planet. So basically ground combat isn't fun and continues to feel tacked on.

What might be interesting is if ground combat was abstracted and Pop-based. The game already abstracts the movement of Pops with the Resettlement system; applying something similar to ground combat could be interesting. Rather than make armies the game could make Pops that are located in strongholds available for deployment; perhaps the stronghold could have a training component used to determine fighting effectiveness. A fighting effectiveness of 0% would be a civilian Pop that will provide no resistance, a fighting effectiveness of 100% would be a fully trained force. When you want to attack a planet you would deploy Pops in a manner similar to Resettlement, combat between Pops would see fighting effectiveness degrade to 0, and there would be a chance of a Pop that's reduced to 0 in combat dying off (at least one defending Pop would die off to provide a space for the invading army).

I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but my point is that ground combat as it stands right now is not terribly fun and doesn't really contribute much to the game. I'm not really sacrificing anything in order to have ground combat capability, the micro-management doesn't seem worth the payoff, and it could be significantly more interesting if it took advantage of some of the other systems in place in the game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baronjutter posted:

I like the discovery changes, mostly because I hate the "assist research" mechanic so much. I'd love to see them do-away with it entirely.

I would love for assist research to automatically travel to whatever location would provide the most benefit. The scientist is smart enough to figure out how to travel through wormholes; he should be smart enough to see which planet is the best place for him to hang out.

Dongattack posted:

A change that i would enjoy would be to put orbital bombardment in the hands of the troop transports. And you could fit them with researchable orbital weaponry of varying effect and then just select the troop transports, rightclick the planet and select between "Bombard Planet" or "Engage Planet" which would weaken the defenses and then automatically invade. Then allow reinforcing the losses via the Fleet Manager or something like that.

I hate having to park my fleet in orbit over a planet and keep checking back to see if they have weakened the armies enough and at least that way it would be free to gently caress off somewhere else and leave the planet to specialized troops/equipment. I just build 20 of the "TITANIC WARFORM" or something in my last machine game and brute forced every planet. Expensive tho.

I'd prefer that either troop transports go away entirely and something more abstract be used, or there be a new type of module that I could add to ships that would allow them to carry troops and perform orbital bombardments more effectively. Maybe a module that allows for smarter orbital bombardment that only takes out garrisons and strongholds or something. Either way I feel that the current level of micro does not justify the level of fun it provides.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How do you guys handle native civilizations these days? I have two in my realm and they have decent traits and can inhabit different biomes that my founder race so adding them to fold would be neat. Can you still just outright invade them? I was thinking of doing that once I help shift their ethics to mine.

They make wonderful, if short-lived, batteries.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

tooterfish posted:

With kindness and compassion.

Because too much stress makes them taste funny.

The fear adds... spice.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ugh why did I uplift these organics? They're pretty upset if I enslave other organics, which by the way started the war with me! Then to try make them happy I get rid of all my slaves.

Permanently.

That just made my uplifted vassals even more upset? There's no winning with some people.

Determined Exterminators don't have that problem.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is the Enigmatic Fortress still broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dallan Invictus posted:

I read that it should be fixed for new games but the fix wasn't retroactive for saved games where it had already bugged out?

I have no idea. All I know is that when I attack it the game doesn't generate the special projects required to actually explore it. It stays dormant but I can't investigate it.