Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Hey so the Galactic Nomads decided to set up shop on one of my planets. That's pretty cool, but as soon as they did, their new empire got absorbed into mine. I think that's cool, but it did give me a real dire message about how their nascent empire had been wiped from the galaxy. That seems a little extreme for my new bird buddies, who all seemed more or less stoked to be a member of the space dragon empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'm still constantly disappointed that being a xenophile doesn't let me make friends with space whales/crystals/amoebas. I want them to come hang out with us goddamnit.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Man, I'm the only pacifist empire in the Galaxy so literally no one wants to join my federation because I can't do wars of aggression. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. -50? Really?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

So this is the first time I've encountered this problem, but when you join a federation and you lose 20% fleet cap, is the intended behavior really that you just scrap one of your fleets instead of just transferring them over to the federation fleet? Because that's dumb. Really, really dumb. "Hey I have a ton of ships that I could just spraypaint "united federation of planets" on, but I guess I'll just melt them into scrap and then build entirely new ships."

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Am I missing something, or do I have to take out every loving planet with a FTL inhibitor to move anywhere?

I mean sure, I get having them on stations. But WTF am I supposed to do about ones linked to planets? I HAVE to invade to move on?

Yeah, that rebel base has an FTL inhibitor, if you can't destroy it then your ships can't pass, makes sense. Alternatively, get your death star in there and remove it the old fashioned way.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

So I'm really digging marauders and pirates as a democracy. Every few years a pirate base will spawn and knock out a few of my stations before getting pasted by my honor guard. Or the marauders will run through and shitfuck a few systems before heading back home. Then I can move in construction ships and repair everything to fulfill my leader's mandate. This is actually excellent, because before there was literally never an option to complete those mandates short of blobbing out like an idiot or the very very occasional war that you didn't immediately win or lose wiping out a couple stations at the fringe of your empire before you destroyed them.

I don't know if this was intended behavior, but I absolutely hope it was, because it's actually completely awesome. It also is really nice from an engagement perspective because it gives you something to do instead of wait and watch numbers go up.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Shadowlyger posted:

Couldn't you just dismantle a few stations and rebuild them...?

See that seems like a sub-optimal situation to put the player in. Every election melt down 4 of your [station type] and get a benefit for some reason vs. get a benefit from the natural process of rebuilding after raids.

That's very similar to my post from before about how stupid it is that you have to melt down 20% of your fleet when you join a federation instead of just stamping the name of the federation on them and transferring them over. Just sending those ships to the federation makes in-world sense. Melting them down and building entirely new ones with the federation logo is absolute nonsense.

Edit: I mean you're technically right. When I say that there wasn't an option I meant there wasn't an option that made sense.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

It is a bit daft that those mandates don't take into account your development of your space. I wish there were other ones than "build some stations"

I mean considering how they got war and ships and poo poo so so right with this patch I'm kind of hoping there'll be a similar patch in the future that does something with domestic empire management.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Are you sure it's not just fortresses on planets preventing you from getting past them?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

Positive. I was unable to reach an adjacent system when the system I was in was already cleared of everything in it.

And you had occupied the planet?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Does anyone else feel like gateways are prohibitively expensive? You could easily cut the prices in half and be on target. Why would I spend 10,000 energy and 5000 minerals to reactivate or 10000 minerals to build a structure that just cuts down on travel time when wormholes exist?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Jazerus posted:

it's too easy to blob up and then buy all of the enclave bonuses forever in my experience. starbase trading modules are way more powerful than solar panels ever were, so if you avoid using starbases on border defense, you can really rack up energy

gates do kinda suck with their slider set to 1x, too expensive for what you can expect to get out of them. 2x or 2.5x gates makes the entire galaxy have gates - most empires will have at least one - but doesn't put them literally everywhere, so it creates a really mass effect-esque feeling of most areas being linked together, but with backwater areas that have to be slowboated to as well.

It's just that you have to spend 20,000 minerals to build a functional set of gates, or 10,000 minerals + 10,000 energy + 5000 minerals if you happen to have a convenient ruined one.

That's actually a lot of resources. 20,000 minerals buys one hell of a space fleet, or upgrades like hella planets. Now I know someone's going to say, "Well yeah, it's a tradeoff" but no, no it's not. because the amount of other poo poo you can get for the price of that single gateway connection is enough to just take whatever wormhole your neighbor has if you weren't lucky enough to get one.

I mean I might be biased because I control both sides of a wormhole from NE to SW in my galaxy, and I have like 4 giant allies in a big federation who have other wormholes elsewhere I can use, but I honestly just don't know when I'd be in a position where I'm so far ahead of the rest of the galaxy that I could afford to throw away tens of thousands of minerals and energy on setting up a travel network.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Jazerus posted:

The wormhole connections aren't always going to be useful for you, if they happen to be then you don't have to bother with gates.

Yeah, that's kind of exactly my point. It's not like having gates isn't useful, but two gates hardly lets you "centralize ship production". Gates are useful, but I don't see any clear argument that two gates are 20,000 minerals useful, or that 3 gates are 30,000 minerals useful. Even if you had three perfectly placed ruined gates, I think you'd have a hard time claiming that they're as useful as 15,000 minerals and 30,000 energy. I mean energy is worthless but accumulating 30,000 of it takes a non-zero amount of time.

I'm saying you could cut gate costs in half and they'd be about right. 5,000 minerals per build (which is half as much as a habitat, for something that provides travel convenience and generates absolutely no resources) 5000 energy/2500 minerals per reactivation. Those seem like sane numbers to me that would give you the ability to establish a gate network in the mid-game where it's actually useful, instead of being able to establish one during the post-crisis mop-up-the-survivors phase of the game.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pylons posted:

By the time I started building gates, I was at my max fleet cap, my max starbase cap, and no planets needed upgraded.

Right, which was the other part of the problem I'm talking about. I was kind of hoping that gates might be usable during actual play, instead of just a cherry on top for post-crisis grognards to dick around with while they try to cement one of the victory conditions.

Like I have both technologies, to reactivate gates and build them, and I've had them for about ~30 years, but I just have other things to spend my minerals on and the Crisis hasn't shown up yet so I'd kind of rather have fleets capable of taking that down then dick around dumping a huge amount of minerals into a gate network. Again, I have a wormhole in the center of my empire, so I can pop down to the only empire that hasn't succumbed to my charm offensive and joined the alliance, but that seems pretty weaksauce if a convenient wormhole is the difference between absolutely free long distance travel and tens of thousands of minerals worth of money sink to achieve the same effect.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Soup du Jour posted:

How strong is the fleet that spawns in the trap 30-40 mineral system? There’s an excellent chokepoint like right past it but I’ve been holding off because I don’t want to get in over my head.

I don't know if it still works, but the poo poo that spawns in that system doesn't attack the station around the star, because it's out of aggro distance, but enemy fleets will try to attack that station and get fuckin wrecked.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Splicer posted:

Please Wiz, PLEASE let me not murder space amoeba.

There's a big expanse of space amoebas where I need to be, but if I go near them murder happens. I need laser pheromones or something so they become my friends.

Xenophile has been needing an interesting buff for ages anyway. It always feels weird to go around exterminating space life as a xenophile. Migration attraction is a one trick pony that has never really amounted to much of any kind of buff at all. Although I will admit that it seems to work much better now than it used to, my empire is teeming with all kinds of Xenos this run.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Staltran posted:

I built a few gates long before I won and didn't feel like they were overly expensive. And later on, the AIs built some too (pretty sure not all were just reactivated). What's your minerals per month?

And then later on, I built a gate in a system with one of my three shipyards, because I got annoyed by ships having to move 3 systems away to the gate that I had already built there (because there was a wormhole there). And one in my capital, basically just because. And one in one of my other shipyards that had a gateway one jump over. Then while waiting for the crisis to pop I handed out probably 100k minerals total as gifts to my tributaries and independent 1-planet rebels to bribe them into accepting vassalization, since I didn't feel like building over the 1000 hard naval capacity cap. This was after building a science nexus, a sentry array, and my dyson sphere was halfway done.

You can get in a situation where you can easily afford to build gateways, is what I'm saying. Though to be fair, I was a pre-crisis grognard dicking around after winning waiting around for the crisis to fire.

I'm in like 2390's I think, and I'm fluctuating between 200-400 minerals per month, depending on what I'm doing, and whether I'm roaming ships around. Fanatic Xenophile Pacifist, I edited in mining guilds with my extra civic point, and I've got level IV mines.

To be fair I only recently went over the 5 (then 7 from another civic edit to dump the free haven buff) core world cap, so I imagine I'm going to see a bit of a rise in the near future, but I think I've still got a pretty fair point about how many things seem aimed at the far end game in terms of affordability. I think the mid-game would be a lot more interesting if the gateway network tech was specc'd to kick off at the beginning of the midgame and be functional by the end of it. I kind of agree with the points made about Gene modding as well, that could probably use a rework to make it a more attractive mid-game option, just some quality of life changes like requiring less research points if you're just editing two pops instead of 20, that sort of thing.

I'm sure there are a few other things, but I feel like in general there's a design ethos that all of these things are too powerful to actually be in the main game, and should be saved for the endgame, which I, for one, tend to think makes for a more boring game.

In any case, Stellaris is still one of the best space 4x/grand strat games available so this isn't a serious complaint so much as a constructive criticism. I'm really enjoying this expansion so far, and I'm excited to finish up this game and build a new empire.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

So I just noticed but the fleet manager is real hosed up, isn't it? It keeps thinking that the ships in the fleet don't count as the ships that are supposed to be in there and giving the prompt to reinforce the entire fleet with itself. I hadn't even noticed but a couple of times I'd mysteriously get over fleet cap and I'm beginning to suspect that experienced ships are counted differently from new ships, and so it constantly wants to reinforce the fleet with fresh ships?

I mean it basically makes the reinforce button less than useless.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

mostly its that ships that arn't current dont seem to count properly, so always upgrade before reinforcing

Nah, this isn't about upgrading or not, just every now and then the game decides that my fleet needs an entire new copy of itself.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really wish collosi would fire faster. In the time it took me to charge up and get 50% into blowing up a prethoryn planet a fleet ran in under me and bombed it to 100%

The cassus belli is good but I wish the toy itself was remotely practical, between it and megastructures it's like they don't want any of the super equipment to actually have real utility because Balance

I got one level of Dyson sphere built before my alliance took over the entire galaxy and I won. Cool tech.

Edit: also I found out that gateways are a two step build. That's loving insane. Game really needs to take a look at how many features have no bearing on the game portion of the game.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 6, 2018

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Splicer posted:

Voidborne is fine, it's not about building habitats, it's about how your species as a whole is actively enthusiastic with moving en masse to live on tiny artificial planets. World crackers are about how your species is actually OK with committing possibly the worst war crime imaginable... other species could build them, but don't, because what the gently caress is wrong with you. Galactic Wonders require a people that think huge, empire-crippling dickwaving boondoggles are actually a good idea. Those ascensions aren't about whether you can, it's about whether you will.

Habitats are good in that you can actually make some use of them. They only cost 10k, and they do their job of being energy or science hubs tolerably well. I managed to make a colossus about six months before I won the game, but never got to go to war with it. The other actual "Empire changing" ascension perks might as well just be flavor text for all you can scrounge together the billion minerals to build one of the wonders or the ring world.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Sloober posted:

Eh, the ring is pretty well priced at 110k for 100 tiles imo, and in smaller bursts of 20k to get there vs the 5 stages of 50k from the sphere. I'm making something like 900m/month now and none of it is hard, but that just means i'm past the point of caring about what i get out of it. Like in theory i like megastructures a lot, it's a fun concept, but it's basically just dickwaving due to the costs involved. Which is OK if i guess that's what they want them to be.

I think ascension perks badly need some kind of passover on them though.

Exactly, I could go back into the game I won and build all the megastructures, but I won that game. The Galaxy lost. The Glorious Alliance controls the galaxy. Building a Dyson sphere won't help me get energy because I don't need energy. A science Nexus won't help me with my research because my empire is 30,000 science points ahead of anyone else in the Galaxy.

"And then the space dragons did some cool poo poo because they were better than everyone else the end."

Ascension perks should not be the equivalent of a line of text in the epilogue.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Shadowlyger posted:

In my last game I got all three megastructures up and there was still a huge, three empire federation opposing me.

Quick tip for building megastructures: Open your sector menu and check their resource levels, if your sectors haven't been building anything lately then they can have some very large stockpiles.

Also while I'm here, a bug report: Apparently you can't crack Tomb Worlds and must terraform them into something else before you can blow them up.

vOv maybe I'm just winning too quickly. My new game is tomb world roaches Fanatic Xenophobe Militarists, I guess the lack of any allies will slow down my progress somewhat, so maybe I'll actually hit a point where the megastructure costs make any kind of sense.

I'm sticking by what I said about two useless levels of dyson sphere though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Tomn posted:

I can't speak to the usefulness of Conformist, but I can say that everyone should force an AI empire with "Deviant" to spawn in every game they play. It's hilarious, they end up with a revolving door government that's hypersensitive to what they're doing at the moment. I had one transition step by step from a Totalitarian Regime to democratic crusaders by the end of the game.

It's been a while since I've had to manage ethics attraction, but I remember a few versions ago it would nudge one of your pops like every 100 years or something, which was complete sillyness. I had like mind control lasers and secret police and everything and my dudes just wouldn't get on the wagon. I can say from my most recent game that it seems like AI empires change their ethics a lot more readily now. I had a bunch of empires I had migration treaties with become gradually more pacifist and xenophile as my dudes migrated over.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Tomn posted:

Yesssss

I've often felt that Stellaris is hampered by the heavy abstraction of trade into straight energy sources. Something like the EU4 system would add a lot more color to the galactic map and make terrain and location more meaningful - and worth defending and fighting over. And of course that kind of trade would have to tie into diplomacy so that "trade" means something more long-term and interesting than "Hey, I need minerals now, here is some energy" or vice versa from AI empires that amount to piggy banks to be smashed open.

Have they done a Herbert expansion yet? because I feel like the spice should flow at some point.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

ZypherIM posted:

If you're really worry about pirates you can find a 2-3 just energy system to leave unclaimed, then station a fleet nearby. Farm the pirates every 10 years for a small energy/mineral bonus, along with some xp for your ships and admiral.

Yeah, that's the thing I don't quite get about people complaining about pirates. For my empire, there's like two systems they can possibly spawn in, it's pretty simple to put a crew quarters spacedock a few systems away and just park my fleets there when it's not war season. What else are your fleets doing when you're not at war? I mean I'm usually a peace/xenophile guy, but right now I'm doing authoritarian xenophobes and I'm still not at war so often that I don't need something for those fuckers to do during peacetime.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Sedisp posted:

The system you have described is neither fun nor engaging.

I find it to be both, but again, I'm the guy who likes having pirates murder my stuff so I can rebuild to complete mandates, because intentionally deconstructing stations seems dumb to me, so maybe I'm not on the level of min/max optimized 400iq grand strategy play that I'd need to be on to see having something for my military to do as boring or not engaging.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

GotLag posted:

I just got the most annoying fleet bug: two blank entries in the ship construction queue that made my fleet reinforce to two less than quota. And they couldn't be cancelled.

The fleet manager is a travesty. One of my fleets doesn't show up as a template, and the other one constantly wants to reinforce itself with its entire complement, so I have to manually rebuild ships for it anyway because the reinforce button will double its size every time and put me over the empire fleet cap and completely tank my production.

Oh yeah, also when I did press the reinforce the first time (which is how I got my second fleet) it sent those reinforce orders to every shipyard in my empire and then those ships couldn't join the fleet they were supposed to be reinforcing because it was already at the individual fleet cap.

The fleet manager needs a serious looking into.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Jabor posted:

Are you playing the latest beta patch?

I am not, did they fix it? Because that would be grand.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Jabor posted:

Yeah, lots of those 2.0 fleet manager bugs have been looked at.

You could wait for them to put together a stable release if that's more your thing, but if you want them fixed now then the beta patch is where you want to be.

I can hang with it for now, essentially it just disabled the reinforce button which is fine until they get the patch out for reals.

Doing a big mp game at the end of the month. I'll probably suggest everyone opt in if they haven't dropped it by then.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Sedisp posted:

Right click pirates, kill pirates right click station kill pirate station. Right click to build anything they destroyed.

Legit I am glad you enjoy this but most people don't and I don't think it's confusing as to why.

I think someone posted the three moves ahead cast about this game, and they had a really good analogy, where you'll probably find fun in this kind of thing if you enjoy Dungeons and Dragons, because you're the kind of person who can project a story onto a game like Stellaris, and I think the interaction with pirates as they exist in the game is a good example of that.

You see "right click kill pirate" I see a victory lap for the undefeated alpha swarm after their destruction of the god-loving scum of the Holy Barath Trinity.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Splicer posted:

Pirate stations could do with a bit more scaling. Be neat if by the time they spawned the galleon their base was starbase level with defence platform-esque mini-stations.

Then you start hiring them as privateers :getin:

Honestly, I don't know what business my dudes have becoming pirates, we're militarist xenophobes. If you want to pillage and murder just join the army.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Splicer posted:

Do I think it could be better? Of course, especially late game. But it's good as is, unless you take the obtusely reductive stance of looking at it entirely in isolation divorced from all the mechanics it's explicitly designed to interact with.

I imagine since they've talked about moving toward empire management and galactic trade/politics, pirates could interact with those systems in really interesting ways.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

More like dismantle slavery and establish a system of racially biased policing that puts people in for-profit prison where they pay off their debt to society by laboring for free.

Actually, can we have a for-profit prison industrial complex in Stellaris?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Or just keep insulting their tiny dicks once a month until they attack you.

^That's the pacifist super move right there. Just gear up as hard as possible for a fight and then tell them what they can put in their cloaca.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The Deleter posted:

loving nothing, because there are no individual mechanics assigned to pacifism that would make playing as them interesting.

My first 2.0 game was xenophile pacifist, and the interesting mechanic I found was having my dudes migrate to every other empire and slowly turn the entire galaxy pacifist.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Jabor posted:

That honestly seems fine. Take what you want for yourself, post fleets guarding it, let your allies do whatever until they decide they've had enough.

I guess it's annoying if you want to do any "not during wartime" diplomatic actions.

^ This. As a Pacifist empire whose allies kept declaring war on the only two assholes left in the galaxy I just kept an eye on my borders and did nothing. I agreed to let them go to war, not do the whole thing myself.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Jesus, you guys weren't kidding about the vassalization wars. I had to eradicate their fleet, occupy every single planet, and get their war exhaustion up to 95% before I have net +1 to the war goals for acceptance.

I mean, yeah, you're essentially telling them "You are worth absolutely nothing compared to me, like you literally have no chance to fight back, I can wipe you out of existence with a thought, so submit your entire race and culture to my whims." I don't think winning a space fight and putting boots on the ground in the buttfucktares system is enough to prove that.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think puppeting someone really means all that, but okay.

I dunno man, vassals:

-automatically join their overlord's wars
-have no autonomy when it comes to foreign policy or diplomatic relations
-cannot colonize new worlds that are outside their border range

Imagine in the future, where humanity controls like 10 star systems, what do you think an alien race would realistically have to do to get us to agree to those conditions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Destruction of our fleet and alien troops in control of Earth would probably do it. After that point, I'd certainly be thinking "further, obviously-futile resistance would probably just make them angry."

Plus the whole issue of the leadership who would make those decisions being physically in their custody at that point anyway.

I mean there'd be other planets for that leadership to flee to. And the occupation of earth would probably give every human one hell of a mad-on toward whatever rear end in a top hat did it. Like you think the government to of Antares IV would be like "welp, the earth was taken I guess that's it for our galactic ambitions forever. Time to essentially be pets for these horrible space mushrooms."

Edit: I look forward to future updates adding more verbs for occupied and vassalized empires to interact with their owner empires. For now I think the outcome you're looking for would be taking systems with a total war CB white peace and releasing that system as a vassal.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 20, 2018