Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm a pacifist and the fact that I can't set aggressive war goals means everyone refuses a federation with me. I sort of feel stuck.
My neighbors regularly declare war on a place I have a defensive pact with and we win but I can't claim anything!

I just want a federation :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Unhappy Meal posted:

The poor little Metalheads I force in every game got severely messed up. Poor guys. :( Also in this game I realize choosing pacifist with the claims and how war exhaustion currently works was a horrible mistake as I'm left twiddling my thumbs as I pull farther and farther ahead of the rest of the galaxy. Maybe I can stockpile some minerals disband my fleets and goad someone into a war, not that I'm sure I can actual take anything.

As a pacifist I can't even join Federations because of my war goal restrictions. It really sucks!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Man, I'm the only pacifist empire in the Galaxy so literally no one wants to join my federation because I can't do wars of aggression. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. -50? Really?

Yep, that's my problem too. I've got 3 friends and am an associate of a federation but I can't join any!

Otherwise, I'm loving the new changes. I haven't had the problems with the fleet manager that people keep talking about and I really like the stations and the "geography" of the universe now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ulmont posted:

Yeah - that's where it goes on return and I think also on upgrade.

Upgrade just sends it to the nearest starbase. Where's the return option?

And with the marauders eventually they just stop raiding. I've got some contained within my borders and at the "midgame" point they just offered their ships to buy and stopped attacking. Which was a MASSIVE loving relief let me tell you.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dred_furst posted:

I'm having an absolute blast with this game right now.

I'm definitely enjoying it more but I do agree about how slow fleets can be. Now I have to play on Fastest all the time because nothing happens for such large periods of time.

Marauders definitely need sorting though. Them flying through your territory blowing stuff might feel more "real" but it's just loving annoying and I want them to go away!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Echoing comments that having Marauders spammed either at or through me on cooldown by the AI is a really unfun mechanic. IMO you should be able to grant them closed or open borders, and if they're given open borders they don't wreck your poo poo on the way to someone else. If they're targeted at you they should contact you and you should have the ability to counter-offer 150-200% of the original payment for them to gently caress up the person who ordered the hit instead.

Like I say in midgame they just...stop.
But yea if they're raiding you they should ask for payment.

I had one raiding fleet get stuck in a border system between me and my only enemy. They sat there for maybe 100 years and it's only recently I've been able to blow them up during that "open borders" period you get after a war.
It made fighting so annoying in that area.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

WMain00 posted:

I get the complaints about status quo treaties because the text is wrong in game completely. It's not a white peace because claims come into effect and can result in territory gained or lost depending on influence over the area, which again isn't fully explained.

Yea, I've been seeing status quo ones and being baffled. I can't fight my own wars pretty much as I'm a pacifist so I've just been watching the AI do them.
It sure was baffling when I was winning but the person I was fighting with peaced out and lost one of their systems.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I wish the hyperspace registrar affected connected systems too, so you could build a web of them across the core of your empire

It'd be nice to make a sort of "road".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I really don't like scaling costs in games like this. I understand the need for something to prevent total snowballing, but I'd prefer to see some sort of "corruption" or "efficiency" stat that reduces your output rather than bloating the costs, then have techs and government reforms and such that can address that.

I don't want to have to consult a spread sheet to know if expanding to that next juicy planet is actually going to be a net loss, or what the over/under for planet sizes or system resources make it worth claiming. I loved the obvious simplicity of the early civ series corruption mechanic. The more cities you get and the farther from your capital, the more corruption, which leached trade/science away. It was intuitive and simple, you could immediately see and feel the difference when you built a court house or what not. In stellaris I'm having to do math to figure things out. "Ok, this star system is going to bloat my research costs another 2% but it has a +3 society and +2 physics resource in it. 2% extra on my current research projects will be 104 extra points, which means, umm poo poo I don't know what math I need to even do to figure this out"

Like I'm literally too stupid to even understand how to calculate if a new planet or new system is worth getting.

Most people don't think about it this hard. Just expand! If it works out badly and you feel slow, then cut back.
You don't need to work it out so extremely finely.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Magil Zeal posted:

This is an ignorant reply. Caring about the numbers is important for actually examining the game.

Sitting paralysed unable to do anything because you're unsure about a 2% change is crazy though. Try, see.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Space Skeleton posted:

It's where they go if you give them a return order and I think where they pop up after emergency FTL?

Return just says "nearest allied starbase"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I spent absolutely ages trying to impose my ideology on some slaving despots. Destroyed loads of their stuff, occupied nearly all of their planets. And it was STILL -22 to their warscore.
Then someone else declared on them and it instantly did a white peace. I got nothing at all.

loving frustrating. Systems with starbases should increase your "occupied" warscore and not ONLY planets. Planets aren't that important any more and aren't even easy to find!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pacifist seems like a trap option. I can't really do much of anything any more. Not even proper wars of liberation!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

What do you mean

If you try and war someone, you get to impose ideology. But this requires so much war score it's effectively impossible.
And before you could liberate worlds and create your own allies from enemy empires, but that's not an option either.

I want to free some slaves!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

What do you mean, you can still force an ideologically untenable government on your antagonist nation, that's as proper a war of liberation as anything. :colbert: I imagine that the proceeding rebellions will do as good a job of tearing the unsustainably tiny successor states off your opponent as the war ever would have. There should def be a CB to free someone's vassals though.

It requires too much. If I've taken all of your space, most of your planets and smashed up your fleet then I should be able to do it - but I can't, because at that point it forces a peace out of me. Starbases should count for more in the warscore than they currently do, it only counts planets as "occupied".

And you can't even form a federation. There's no other pacifists in my game and absolutely nobody will form one because of the -50 malus of the war ideology. Why be a pacifist if I can't even do that?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Defence stations and other starbase things don't display the correct cost.
For example it tells me a titan shipyard is 1000 but it actually only cost me 600. Upgrades to the station show 300 but cost me 50. It's weird.

And I don't understand how jump drives work now. I still get the little border around me like my jump distance but my ships don't bother to do it, what am I doing wrong here? They've definitely got the drives.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Jump Drives function as hyperlane drives but have a special action on the fleet window to initiate a Jump that can bypass hyperlanes. This action is on a cooldown and puts significant debuffs on the fleet in question for the duration of the cooldown. It does not replace hyperlane travel altogether.

Ah, I figured there would be a button but I looked everywhere except for that top bar.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

canepazzo posted:

Not sure if it's new, but I completed the Irassian chain and the homeworld was spawned into a new system that wasn't there anymore, it just created a hyperlane from one of my border systems. Didn't it use to be an existing system?

No it's always worked like that.

It's funny that you can go into Maurader territory, kill them all and when you contact them they're still saying the same stuff.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Digital Osmosis posted:

Yeah, this was the problem in the one major war I fought in 2.0. In the old system you could tell while declaring war if your goals were literally unreachable, like trying to vassalize or liberate an empire that was just too big. I think the solution is the same thing - chip away at them, grab some systems, release them as vassals, repeat - but there have been guys I've totally obliterated and then just slowly sat while I got to total war exhaustion and reverted to status que ante bellum, since I had no claims. The various non-claim CBs should tell you if they're impossible or not, otherwise you end up with literally nothing. Maybe the war exhaustion fix will change things (really glad PDX is so amenable to feedback) but I'm not totally convinced, I could see the same problem happening except instead of getting auto-white-peaced the player has to initiate it since their goals are not achievable

As a pacifist you can't do that. All you can do is impose ideology so if you can't do that, you can't do anything.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So here's what I mean. I can't get any more warscore other than taking planets which in the new system takes loving ages and I have to build loads and loads and loads of armies.
So what can I do?

https://imgur.com/a/lQeiw

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Splicer posted:

I'm not getting where the taking planets takes ages thing is coming from. Bomb the planet for a bit to take out the non-fortress armies, dump width + buffer armies on it, wait, move on.

Get to planet, armies have 1000 strength.
Bombard for 10 months, armies have 980 strength.
And I'm used to just carting around one army of like 12 units and never making any others unless they die. It doesn't feel like you can do that any more and I'm annoyed because the armies stuff is the absolute worst part of the game. Make systems count for occupation!

It's probably down to being a pacifist.

In fact I think I'm done with my pacifist game. I enjoyed them when you went to war to liberate and save populations but now you can't even do that! I'm just sat around doing nothing because I can't participate in anything.

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 27, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Part of it: have armies built before you go to war, and invest in army tech
(I do agree the score requirements are on a high side).

Rubbish. Man I hate the army system so much.

On the plus side I just started a new game as my Scientist Slug race and I've got a 21 and 23 ocean world in the same system right next to me. A departure from barely having a thing near me last game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

sunless sea is Exceedingly Good writing, coupled to an Exceedingly Mediocre sailing game

Sunless Skies is out in early access, the sequel, if you're interested.

And to people who replied to me before about Armies - I know you can build loads and that you don't need to bombard. But the army system was annoying enough before when I only needed to build 12 units. Now I have to build shitloads it's even MORE annoying.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

I literally can't comprehend how people have trouble with pirates. Where the hell are you putting your fleets that you can't get there before they blow up multiple systems of mining stations? Or are stronger than even one your fleets?

On a huge map (which is all I play on) it can take in-game years to get your ships over to where the pirates are. That's the only time I've had issues.

Oh actually - I killed the Mauraders and their space all instantly spawned pirates. Which is really dumb since I've just killed the pirates there lore wise.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jabarto posted:

Yeah, this. There are legitimate gripes with the game's balance but the base mechanics are brilliant and perfectly functional at the moment.

By the way, didn't they say in the pre-release patch notes that high living standards would have their consumer goods multiplier reduced? It looks like they're still 1.25/1.50 for Social Welfare/Utopian in-game.

I'm going to say that the only problems I've got with the expansion are raiders flying through your territory blowing poo poo up with nothing you can do and the way war works as a pacifist.
Everything else is a huge net positive.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Libluini posted:

No!

(I always take my first techs for roleplay reasons. And even later, I often stop and think: "What would the people of this empire actually choose, based on their own desires?" Ironically, Planetary Unification is always my first pick for that exact same reason: It just makes so much sense in the early game, when you're still a young, barely united space civilization.)

I like choosing the labs because it's REALLY annoying having just one of them and it telling you to upgrade your science lab all the time but realising you haven't got the right one.
I waste so much time constantly checking and then realising.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

binge crotching posted:

This is why I research the labs as soon as I can.

Yes, the post I was replying to was a post in reply to someone saying not to do it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

They really need to fix it when you can't get a member into your federation because of "distance" even though they do border a member, they just don't border me.
Come on guys, we're right here!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I wonder if it works with existing saves?

Also, food cost for those edicts sounds weird, it costs me influence?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Some mutants burst out of a vault on a Tomb World and took my planet. They're killing the pops but if I try and land it tells me "this planet isn't colonised".
oh no :(

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The game needs to stop the AI declaring unwinnable wars.
My federation is in one and it's -1000 to do what they want to do which is "end threat". Why let the poor things do it?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Blorange posted:

End Threat isn't a real War Goal, which is why they're -1000 to use it. It's an exterminator type war, which means they're gaining - losing systems as the war progresses instead of transferring the held claims at the end.

Eventually the war will end because the winning side hits 100% war exhaustion and they sign a peace, but the borders stay where the front lines ended up.

Of course, if you mean they started an unwinnable war because they're getting destroyed, that's federations for you.

Oh no they're not. They're not really doing anything. But the other side has been at -100% war exhaustion for ages and nothing is happening.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Blorange posted:

That's intentional. 100% exhaustion forces you (until the beta patch) to accept a peace treaty. It doesn't require the other side to send one. They're probably up against a wall of star bases and don't think they can push further.

Look I know how it works, I know what 100% does! But the enemy is at 100% and has been for years and it's only going to end when both sides hit 100%.
So it's going to stay like this until I decide to join in, which feels totally pointless because I can't really work out what the point of this war is. There are no stations. They're just not moving.
See: here and the enemy fleets have scores of less than 1000, my allies are at 10,000!

I really don't enjoy the new war system, I think the old one was much more reasonable. I'm entirely down with geography of space and point taking and etc but I prefer a set score like it was before and like every other paradox game instead of exhaustion. If they show 100% they should just surrender thanks.

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 1, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Everyone should get the beta patch.
Man the difference to Unity is unreal!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Oh dang that's pretty big

I have 12 colonies and 5 worlds in sectors and I got 3 traditions from getting the patch. It's big!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

But the enemy will give up at 100%? You just have to click the status quo button?

I'm not the war leader, the post was about my AI allies doing it. They can't win the war, it just doesn't go anywhere.

quote:

When you have a war with claims, there is still a war score of sorts. It's easily possible to reach 100% exhaustion on your opponents but not have them willing to surrender because you haven't taken enough claims.
I know - but the other way was so much clearer.

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 2, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I really love that edicts are empire wide now. I barely ever used them and now they're mega important.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

metasynthetic posted:

Most of the ascension perks that have additional costs beyond the initial buy in aren't really justifiable, they're only practical if you're already running away with the game. Megastructures? If I have that many minerals to spare it means I already have a sizable, well-developed empire that's probably the best in the galaxy, with enough fleet that I don't feel a need to spend minerals on it to stay secure. Species upgrade projects take an absurdly long time. Gaia terraforming is not at all worth it by that point in the game unless you're Life Seeded, which is in itself basically just handicapping yourself by volunteering for an OCC.

Species upgrades are like 30 months when you've got the perk, at least for 100 - 150 guys which is the usual amount of things I have.
Unless you've got LOADS of pops.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I had the Great Khan spawn and start taking systems. They vassalised one large empire and were slowly pushing towards a Despoiler I was at war with.

Suddenly he's dead and his territory gets broken up. Loads of the ships of the Robot fallen empire were in his territory. Then they all hosed off. The empire isn't awakened or anything - what's that about? The machine empire is close-ish but definitely wasn't touched at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The machine empire will go fight hostile ship types (pirates and marauders and such) outside of their borders if they're close enough. Diodachies are treated as normal empires, so as soon as the Khanate splits up, they're no longer a valid target.

They're like a year's travel away, they're not THAT close, just close comparitavely.
And I mean the machine fallen empire killed the Khan, there's like a whole empire between them and the Khan. It just seems strange.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 3, 2018