Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How long might we have to wait until Apocalypse drops in price/gets better deals? Looks like it took a little over half a year before Utopia dropped below 50%, but I don't know how p.dox does these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Rumda posted:

Paradox are having a sale on thier store including apocalypse 33% off and distant stars at 25

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/on-sale/

WinGameStore/MacGameStore (safe stores) has it for even cheaper.
https://isthereanydeal.com/waitlist/?by=cut:desc#/page:game/info?plain=stellarisapocalypse

Edit: And now all I'm missing is distant stars. Is it worth the price?

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 28, 2018

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Man space amoeba buddy sounds good.

Also, I just unsubscribed from my 30+ mods because it's been so long since the last time I played. Is there a list of essentials up?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

GunnerJ posted:

I like building different ships because I like seeing them fly around and pew pew with variety, idk.

Same. I have a whole bunch of hours in game at this point, and, hell, watching the first fight of the game in slow motion is still fun.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

GAWD, the milspergs in this thread. I just call my ships based on their class and weapons loadout and I'm surprised more people don't. "Plasma Cruiser"-class Cruiser. "Torpedo Corvette"-class torpedo corvettes. "Carrier"-class Battlecruisers.

man look at the blorg on this one

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I swear I read about another sci-fi setting that had similar traders, constantly speeding through the universe, never stopping for anything. Anyone know what I'm on about?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Could be, but I have a notion it was literature.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Here's a thing I've never really figured out despite 200+ hours in this game:
Late game, when you're swimming in resources and sectoring everything away, it's not really an issue, but early on I sorta force myself to build the correct building for each tile, upgrading every lab according to the specific scientific resource. Is there a better way to do buildings? Do you guys build agro worlds early on, upgrade labs to whatever you want and whatnot? Build unity/unique buildings wherever and whenever?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Splicer posted:

God, LeGuin can't come fast enough.

I know right. But yeah, what you said makes sense. I'm doing fine either way, but having a more concrete idea about placement streamlines the gameplay and improves automation in my head in a useful way.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm still a little child, a baby, who plays on low difficulty because the main appeal of the game is the roleplaying. That also lets me gently caress around with impractical ship designs made to look cool beyond anything else.

And related to the roleplaying aspect, I'm in that mode where I'm starting new empires after an hour of play because I get new ideas for what I want to play. I've seen two cruisers so far, and one of them was from an anomaly (love getting a ship with twice the fleet power of my actual fleet half an hour into the game).

And I've gotta learn to accept that small galaxies are okay too, thousand star realms get tedious after a while.

This loving game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

This is real good, thanks.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Lol loot boxes. Sure!

Also, I have to admit that playing machine races is a bit boring. Working up to it during a game is exciting, but with no happiness, factions or anything like that to think of for centuries, it just doesn't have the same pull as fickle flesh.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I want to build the flashing ships though, it's fun to bild the big noisy ships

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm so loving excited to make a galaxy spanning crime empire.

Crimpire.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t understand how a criminal government can be a thing. Like, do they consider themselves criminals

Some of them do, some of them don't, I guess. History is rich with governments who either endorse or are directly involved in illegal activities on foreign soil. Smuggling, assassinations, undermining of political powers, illegal trade in goods and humans, covert actions, exploitation of resources and what have you. Science fiction history can be even richer in that poo poo. Some governments defend it as justified because of national security or whatever, some are well aware that it's illegal as gently caress, most work under the cover of subterfuge and denial.

Hell, think of it as covert pirate states or raiding viking states. History is rich with vikings and pirates.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 9, 2018

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Incidentally: when it comes to galaxy generation, I always lower hyperlane density to 0.5. I enjoy playing in defined areas with clear chokepoints.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

At the end of the day, design a race exactly as it ought to be in your head. Maybe it'll be weaker than others, maybe stronger. Maybe you have to live with your beloved scientists and generals measuring their lives in dog years. That's the truth of life, the compromise of creation.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Here's a thing I I never realized. Fixing an active sensor link with a fallen empire basically maps out all the hyperlanes for you. Very useful when expanding early in game.

Thyrork posted:

I'm abit happier with shorter lives now that you dont get anomalies that tell you to "eat poo poo, idiot" for not being level 5.

very much so, yes

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought they changed it so you couldn't trade a FE for sensor link.

I just did. It also "explores" the systems, and I assume that means you can do experimental jumps pretty much anywhere in the galaxy once you develop the technology.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

We've had conversations about machine consciousness megacorps that have gone on for far too long earlier in the thread, but on a similar note, I really wish there were more options for machine species in general. I want to play a bunch of bumbling non-centralized robot monks, or an empire with a few AIs plotting to take each other down, in the vein of Marathon or other Bungie games. I want factions and robots with happiness protocols.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

Speaking of, I just learned that shift and ctrl clicking puts orders at the head of the queue. So often my long survey queues got cancelled to research a special project...

gently caress me running

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I've been playing a bunch of megacorps, not sure why, possibly figuring out what corp I want to play at release. Charismatic slaver megacorp making friends all over the galaxy and obliterating the competition is pretty fun.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Breaking news: Gnop Hoxroz ousted from Space Senate after disastrous trade deal with Blorgian Dynasty.

Strobe posted:

I just started a new game with max habitable planets, max empires, max primitives, and 2.5x tech cost to see what would happen.

July 2201: sneak attack by religious cult that managed to commandeer multiple corvettes.

Definitely not expecting combat quite that early, even with the galaxy options. :v:

Same thing happened to me two weeks after game start. I thought it added some nice story flair, because a few years later, the Old Gods chain started.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 12, 2018

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

After nearing crisis-time in a huge low-empire game I'm really feeling all the station sentiments in this thread. The Khan is gearing up for trouble, and I'm probably gonna have to reinforce a lot of choke points with new defense stations, and the prospect of clicking all those buttons for eternity is making me depressed enough to start a new game.

Edit: gently caress, I want the authoritarian advisor to tell me secrets on a luxurious rug by a fireplace. What a voice.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 14, 2018

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I think I might have done a gently caress up in my good idiot helmeted parrot game. After Eradicating some empire with a name now lost to time, A pretty huge stretch of real estate opened up, and I immediately sent out ships to survey and occupy the space, but some rear end in a top hat empire with wormhole tech cut me off two systems into the newly opened corridor.

I decided to start a war for that one system, thinking I could hold them off easily as the wormhole was their only point of ingress, but now my attrition is ticking up faster than them, I don't have wormhole tech, and they are, uuh, very far away.

What the hell do I do?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Right, good to know folks. I was worried they'd depose my emperor because of one system.

Splicer posted:

Also for future reference you can hopscotch systems. So assuming they had open borders you could have snagged the adjacent system and carried on your merry way.

Yeah I got distracted by dealing with the aesthetics of a system that wasn't mine before realizing I had hella influence and it wouldn't be a problem to take the whole drat rest of the corridor at once.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm buying Distant Stars and planning a good long xenophobic farewell-to-the-past game before MegaCorp, and I usually name important stuff in my empire in a specific language. Last time and a couple of times before that has been Arabic, I've done Norwegian, English, Japanese and some I can't remember. What's your favorite language with good rear end aesthetics for specific single words?

As an example, here's my shipyards and fleets in my latest game. The shipyards are named for heaven, hell, purgatory and earth, the fleets are named for things like skirmisher, warrior etc. It's a small thing, but it gets me a little more invested in each game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

This is a cool idea.

Chinese is good; as for how you write it in the Roman alphabet, use pinyin for something familiar or Wade-Giles if you want it to feel more strange.

Or get really funky and use Yale Cantonese.

Oh, Chinese is a very good idea. I went with Russian for my xenophobes, ships named after birds translated through google and whatnot, but a Chinese/English naming scheme for my first megacorp game is actually insanely appropriate.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

gently caress, I feel the energy leaving my body with these tiles. I'm playing in a medium galaxy with minimum inhabitable worlds, but now I inadvertently managed to nab a system with two planets in a defense pact war, and I'm just staring at this mess of ruined crap and angry pops and longing for December.

The tiled age is over, let go of the past.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

What's actually an effective defense platform? I've been building three variants for the most part: One with two medium hardpoints and one large, kinetic on the mediums energy on the large, one with missile launchers and one with PD, but rebuilding them after an attack is such a hassle. Can I go with a single design that's effective?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

So what's a good ratio of capitals to corvettes? I've been phasing out corvettes, but that's not good apparently?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I mean the Soviet did try to gently caress with time somewhat. It didn't work out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_calendar

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Also, I remember all corvette fleets worked in some version. Can you still do a gimmick like that? I want to play some ridiculous machine empire with only corvettes and colossi.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I guess rolling a trickster admiral might mitigate some losses?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh yeah for sure, but I'm taking about a gimmick build in that specific circumstance.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I've been watching a ton of Gundam lately because I like the robots and they hit each other, and along with wanting leaders with more personality, It'd be fun to have strike craft pilots that actually gained experience like ships do. It's very micro and probably not a high priority on anyone's list, but Stellaris really needs the ensemble of weirdos you end up with in CK2 to give your empire more fluff.

Nessus posted:

This does not abolish time, comrade.

The system in which we adjust the work week for various political ends or in order to increase the load factor on industrial machinery is not abolishing time, it is reforming time, and as we know the one who seeks to reform a thing is actually the same - if not worse - as the one who seeks to keep the old thing the way it is. Indeed, by Posadist reasoning, that person is double bad, for they commit two offenses at once; they make the wrong decision, and they do so willingly. They will surely go to the Distant Planet.

But to abolish time itself will remove the cruel tyranny of cause and effect, will liberate thesis and antithesis from the fixed flow of development. All aspects will interplay at maximum speed, achieving total production and total living.

Well said, kosmorade.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Always play with max primitives IMO, they add a lot of flavor to the galaxy.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I love playing multiracial empires with a focus on immigration and uplifting. I generally don't give a poo poo what tiles they end up on (I have so much income in my latest game that I've done the unthinkable and ceded total control of redevelopment to sectors), and ending up with a weird gallery of leaders rules. I've got a weird, charismatic and happy butterfly guy leading my ground armies and it's so good.

Now, I will admit that microing genetic modification sucks balls when you've got twenty different species in your empires. Do we know if that'll change in 2.2?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

As I've said before, we need leaders with more personality to get that good emergent pdox gameplay. Imagine if Admiral Hockt suddenly decided to join the Blorg in their war for friends, taking a section of the third fleet to join their skirmish against the Evil Robot Empire. And unbeknownst to you, a border planet has a growing movement of assimilation sympayhists, led by a governor and his family (who I imagine would be part of a cadre of leaders not chosen or controlled by you, but generated as you expand), and as the admiral deserts his honored post, the assimpathists rise up, demanding that you cede the planet to the evil robots, lest they disable the defense stations in the system, opening your empire up for attack. Of course, since this is a family and a lineage we're talking about, the sister of this governor, a scientist on a vessel exploring dangerous sectors, offers to deal with the problem if you elevate her to chief of physics research.

I just want Crusader Space Knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Also, CK2 doesn't have tyranids, extradimensional invaders, nanomachines or a contingency AI.